Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

down n out posted:

Here's the sign he tried to steal:

It says something to the effect of: "Let's firmly ourselves with patriotism!" which is a pretty basic bitch slogan as far as propaganda is concerned. He probably could have taken the money he used going to NK and printed a poster just like it here in the US.

I wonder if they'd let you have some posters and stuff if you asked for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Probably. A pretty stupid way to go out, all things considered

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For the love of god, don't stop waving that bloody shirt!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
he did entirely bring it on himself, so he would only not "deserve" what he got if you use the technical definition of that word where nobody actually "deserves" anything bad to happen to them, in which case sure

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Zo posted:

he did entirely bring it on himself, so he would only not "deserve" what he got if you use the technical definition of that word where nobody actually "deserves" anything bad to happen to them, in which case sure

couldn't the same be said for someone getting mugged and killed for being in the wrong alley at the wrong time? like say outside an opera house... are you saying batman's parents deserved it, you fucker?

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

EX250 Type R posted:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

welcome back to fear factor North Korea
round 2: will special guest OTTO "BLOTTO" WARM BREW eat THIS??? for his freedom?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I like how his parents whined about Obama not doing anything to secure his release as if he was James Bond in a spy exchange

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

Do you have something to say?

Yeah, hi dummy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

couldn't the same be said for someone getting mugged and killed for being in the wrong alley at the wrong time? like say outside an opera house... are you saying batman's parents deserved it, you fucker?

If the alley has a big sign that says "Don't come in here, you stupid little bitch", probably

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Psycho Society posted:

If at the entrance of the alley there was a cop telling everyone who entered that they could be mugged because there is a known habitual mugger living there and that the cops couldn't do anything about it, then kinda.

Qui Gon Jin was right, Batdad's death was his own fault.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Psycho Society posted:

i'd say that in most countries you have a reasonable expectation of safety and people following the law, so getting mugged and killed due to bad timing or whatever is mostly just bad luck

this is where all the "wow would you say a rape victim deserves it????" analogies fall flat because unlike those situations, you have no reasonable expectation of a measured response from north korea when you break a law there

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
If you break the law in this country you might get brutally messed up by the state. Sometimes over dumb poo poo too.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
batman has no jurisdiction

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zo posted:

I can't count the number of times I did really stupid poo poo when I was young that could have gotten me ran over, kidnapped, murdered, raped, or robbed yet I'm still here but I am haunted by what could have happened in my early years. He did bring it on himself, but that must have been terrifying to get caught and handed a sentence like that.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
did you ever go to a known kidnapper/murderers house by yourself under circumstances where you knew no one could help you with the intention of trying to steal some of his stuff from inside and then hanging out

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There's a difference between something that deserves to happen vs a reasonably predictable consequence of something (at least the hard labor sentence if not the brain death.) and it's weird that there's only like three other goons who can separate them.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
he deserves it for being an entitled shithead not for stealing the poster
or rather hes a representative of the entitled shitheads and every now and then they have to lose one of their own. like when just madoff went down instead of hundreds of other people in finance

e: whoops i forgot madoff went down for stealing from other rich people. thats actually a punishable crime

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 20, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

fruit on the bottom posted:

There's a difference between something that deserves to happen vs a reasonably predictable consequence of something (at least the hard labor sentence if not the brain death.) and it's weird that there's only like three other goons who can separate them.

Zo posted:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yes, it's this. Dying because of something like this wasn't predictable at all, because no western tourist had ever died in north korea. Prison, sure, but at least you'll get out at some point. The longest de facto sentences were a few years. It's anomalous

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
My point is that in this specific case, because of the outcome, it really was bad luck, an arbitrary decision to punish this rich white kid, for a crime that's comparably less severe than say, trying to convert north koreans to a different ideology (which others had received long, but non-lethal sentences for)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Call me crazy but I think it's a good idea to just not go to North Korea.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
how will you get a gorgeous north korean waifu then hmm. riddle me that

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
a couple years hard labor might be worth it if i could get with the moronbongs but I'd like to keep what little brain matter i currently have in that case

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Psycho Society posted:

how will you get a gorgeous north korean waifu then hmm. riddle me that

You could probably import one if you really wanted to.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

his initials spell spelled OW

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

Call me crazy but I think it's a good idea to just not go to North Korea.

Life has improved immeasurably since I refused going to any place with "North" in its name.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Westerners have been taking these gawk-at-the-inmates-of-nation-sized-prison-camp tours for loving years. Until now the North Korean policy has been to keep them on a rather long leash because they bring in money and they aren't the ones that need to be subjugated. Being detained is an unexpected outcome. Being prison camped to death even more so.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

Life has improved immeasurably since I refused going to any place with "North" in its name.

South Dakota is easily the better Dakota. Good choice.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ive been looking for good tankie responses to this, but most of them were pretty reasonable i guess for tankies?

i mean our psycho nations cop man the black guy with the goatee let a man die of thirst in his care, deliberately. and the police just executed a woman for being black.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
i want to see a picture of kim jong un riding piggyback on dennis rodman's back

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
if that happens, the peninsula will finally have peace...

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
This is so messed up

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
i know this is all a funny irony lol forum and all that edge lords goons but i gotta be real here and say otto was a great guy i knew him growing up he was like a loving brother 2 me.

so what he took a sign?!!! have u ever not taken signs? Seriously have some fuckign compassion.

he had so many plans for this hosed up planet now theyre all gone.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pretty loving stupid to make the US look like it's trying to do some political espionage on a sovereign nation. Should have sent him back here and let us kick his rear end.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

gently caress da Mods posted:

i know this is all a funny irony lol forum and all that edge lords goons but i gotta be real here and say otto was a great guy i knew him growing up he was like a loving brother 2 me.

so what he took a sign?!!! have u ever not taken signs? Seriously have some fuckign compassion.

he had so many plans for this hosed up planet now theyre all gone.

We all have plans, it it is any consolation he probably matters more in death than he ever would have in living with "plans".

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

We all have plans, it it is any consolation he probably matters more in death than he ever would have in living with "plans".

Yeah if "steal from the north korean dictatorship" was plan A I loving shudder to think about plan B

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

He should have planned to vacation somewhere that normal people vacation.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FuhrerHat posted:

his initials spell spelled OW

That is the sort of thing im going to be aware of in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

big nipples big life posted:

He should have planned to vacation somewhere that normal people vacation.

Portland. :smug:

• Locked thread