Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Before Legion I assumed Aubrey could only play one role, I'm glad I was proven so thoroughly wrong. All her movements fit so perfectly well in with the character.

Fartbox posted:

Aubrey is born to play roles like these cuz she got real real natural crazy eyes that they used to great effect in this show

Even in parks and rec which is a heartwarming comedy show she looked like she wanted to kill and eat a lot of people a lot of the time

That made her contrast with Chris Pratt's Andy all the more adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A lot of the TV IV crowd probably never saw this but she had a guest role in Criminal Minds as an assassin who quietly held one of the team hostage in a restaurant and had an episode-long battle of wills with them, I think it was during or shortly after Parks and Rec and a great little bit of playing against type that hinted at her range and things to come.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fartbox posted:

Aubrey is born to play roles like these cuz she got real real natural crazy eyes that they used to great effect in this show

Even in parks and rec which is a heartwarming comedy show she looked like she wanted to kill and eat a lot of people a lot of the time

I think she's kind of a nutball in real life, too. At one point she spontaneously decided to make out with a much-older co-star on some Late Night show because she thought it would be funny, and according to him, she just randomly leaned over during one of the breaks and said "it would be hilarious if we made out." I kinda imagine her character on Parks as a slightly more obnoxious version of who she really is, and whatever, I guess that lends itself well to weird roles like Lenny.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently Mike Schur wrote up Plaza's character on Parks and Rec after having a very uncomfortable first meeting with her, so you're not far off.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

She had a stroke when she was 20 which, IIRC, she partially thanks for her unusual demeanor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

She had a stroke when she was 20 which, IIRC, she partially thanks for her unusual demeanor.

That's kind of mundane as origin stories go.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Parks and rec has a good record at making stars so far.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

Parks and rec has a good record at making stars so far.

Maybe they can get Jim O'Heir for Mojo next season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be funny to go back in time and tell a bunch of Park and Recs fans that sometime in the near future Chris Pratt will be a major action star and key superhero in the MCU while Aubrey Plaza would play a really chilling and monstrous super villain in another comic show.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Nnnngh I hope they increase the effects budget for next season! They did so much with so little. On the other hand, maybe that's why it worked? The lovely greenscreen and backgrounds in some of the astral plane scenes contrasted with the impeccable effects in other scenes made it feel like it was a clue to the "robustness" of whatever mental construct they were trapped in. Like whatever the shadow king conjured was solid because of his skilled and stable mental projection but Olivers isn't that good so his ice world is kind of lovely and easy to identify as not real.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

It would be funny to go back in time and tell a bunch of Park and Recs fans that sometime in the near future Chris Pratt will be a major action star and key superhero in the MCU while Aubrey Plaza would play a really chilling and monstrous super villain in another comic show.
I would never have expected Amy Poehler to replace Ben Affleck in the new Batman, but that's the world we live in now.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would never have expected Amy Poehler to replace Ben Affleck in the new Batman, but that's the world we live in now.

You jest but now I really want this outcome

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

atomicgeek posted:

You jest but now I really want this outcome

"Alfred, prepare the bat cave." *smiles and looks up directly at the camera*

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Batman finally makes peace with the Joker over waffles.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm about to rewatch the show, just did the 1st ep, did they ever show/tell how Syd got out of the room with no doors when she was David?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There were firemen evacuating people so probably that? :shrug:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Barreft posted:

I'm about to rewatch the show, just did the 1st ep, did they ever show/tell how Syd got out of the room with no doors when she was David?

Let's just say, David's dad knows a little girl who can walk through walls.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

El Jeffe posted:

Someone green light a buddy cop movie with her and Gary Busey asap

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chokes McGee posted:

Someone green light a buddy cop movie with her and Gary Busey asap

But one where he plays Aubrey Plaza and she plays Gary Busey

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Bust Rodd posted:

I would pay to see this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
What you do is never name the characters and just make two scripts that have lines for one and direction for the other for each character. Then just randomly let them pick which script they pick up day to day.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

someone get lowtax and kickstarter on the horn, I think we've found a way to fund the forums in perpetuity

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Last week the second volume of the soundtrack by Jeff Russo was released. It's a relatively short album (28 minutes), but it has the "Fauxlero" from episode 7 and ends with Dan Stevens' rendition of Rainbow Connection.

Speaking of music, one way to kill the wait for season two is to create weird Spotify playlists inspired by Legion, like I did (note: not a shuffle friendly playlist).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Megaspel posted:

Before Legion I assumed Aubrey could only play one role, I'm glad I was proven so thoroughly wrong. All her movements fit so perfectly well in with the character.

I really do hope she gets more roles and some serious notice on this, because yeah. She's really the show stealer, and Legion's other actors are all really good, so that's not easy.

Though props to Dan Stevens for doing such a good job impersonating her in that one episode.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Watched all of this show over the weekend and it's definitely my favorite X-Men/Fox adaptation and might be my fav Marvel adaptation overall. I was juuuuuuuust familiar enough with the original Legion, AoA and the latest updated series to be interested but not perturbed by the differences. Really fun to watch a show really dial up the visuals and camera tricks in service of a psychedelic story. Good on FX for letting something so weird go do it's thing and give them enough money to not have the effects look like poo poo.

Edit: The "after credits" scene was kind of silly but who cares. Is there any nerd consensus on what that was about? Is that "the equinox" that the division said to send out instead of the "peacemaker" or something from the comics I'm not familiar with? I saw some write-up that said it might be something from Mojo/The Mojoverse which would be a fuuuuuuuuuckin' awesome place for this show to visit.

Edit2: Also it's pretty fun to see everyone recognize Lenny, David and other people from various shows because I haven't watched Parks n' Rec or Downton Abbey and didn't recognize many other people from the show.....but I couldn't stop thinking of Melanie Bird as Lorna Lynley from Frasier lmao.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 19, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
David was the Beast in Beauty and the Beast.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah I didn't see that either.

Mackenzie Gray looks like he was born to be in that perm btw. Maybe it's just because he already has sort of a Phil Spector face but it just works.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Haha I had no idea there was a post-credits scene, thanks thread! I mean, now that there are two cliffhangers I'm even more hosed until the next season, but at least I won't be nearly as confused when I get there

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I hope Oliver and Lenny/King really do come back. It'd be super sad to lose those two. I'm also fascinated by Hamish Linklater/Clark on this show and I can't quite pin it down. That role could have been forgettable as poo poo but the way he plays it and the way he talks was :discourse:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hope Oliver and Lenny/King really do come back.
I hope they don't, and I hope they never mention the Shadow King again. I hope the next season is about Wolverine.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope they don't, and I hope they never mention the Shadow King again.

This.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope the next season is about Wolverine.

Not this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wish the internet had some confirm/deny on whether or not Noah Hawley has read or was influenced at all by Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" for this. If not there's a lot of coincidental intersections and motifs they share like 60's characters busting into the story, all powerful golden boys with hidden "helpers" in their brains, off the wall super teams having troubles recruiting way-too-powerful people etc.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wish the internet had some confirm/deny on whether or not Noah Hawley has read or was influenced at all by Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" for this.

If I'm remembering the interview he did with Andy Greenberg correctly, Hawley said he's not a comic book guy, so the answer to that is probably no. FX handed him a stack of characters and he picked the one that sounded most interesting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope Iron Man is in the next season.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I hope Superman is in the next season, now that'd be interesting

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope Iron Man is in the next season.

I had a whole movie about me having panic attacks

David: hold my beer

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Superman has always had a historical weakness to magic/astral poo poo and being mind controlled. I think David could take him.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Intel&Sebastian posted:

.....but I couldn't stop thinking of Melanie Bird as Lorna Lynley from Frasier lmao.

Holy poo poo I was trying to figure out where I knew her from.

:what:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's hard to catch when she's not doing the trademark "yelling at Kirby" voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

Holy poo poo I was trying to figure out where I knew her from.

:what:
She was also in S2 of Fargo