Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's bi-clad, meaning there's one aluminum layer for heat distribution and one steel layer for induction capability. It appears the nonstick layer is bonded over both.

I'm guessing the nonstick layer is probably ceramic. They say they have some new "metal pellet impacted" process which is probably marketing nonsense. If it's anything like other ceramic nonsticks, it will be amazing for a month and then the nonstick capabilities will degrade quickly to being inferior to Teflon. $50 is okay for two but if you go to bed bath and beyond with a 20% off coupon you can get a 12" and 10" Calphalon Teflon set for $40 which will last 2-5 years depending on your use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks. I passed on the pans. I'll check out the Calphalon Tefal ones around here.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 19, 2017

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Human Tornada posted:

I really like the OXO Swivel Peeler better than the flimsy "disposable" ones people seem to like. Mine gets light/moderate use but it's been ~8 years and going strong. Get the Y peeler if you like that shape better but IMO spending $10 on something that feels solid is worth it over buying a flimsy $4 peeler every year. However, if you're using it every day I can't really speak for their longevity.

We've had our OXO peeler for well over a decade now, gets used almost every day, is always washed in the dishwasher, and still looks like it just came out of the package. It's also still sharp enough it will easily take off your fingertip and/or fingernail if you're not careful. In fact, it's a bit of a running joke among friends, since every single person who's used it has taken at least one chunk out of their fingertip when they forget just how sharp it is.

OXO actually sells replacement blades for it in a 2 pack, which I can't imagine ever needing, unless you're using this in a restaurant or something. For home use, I'm not sure this thing will get dull before I die.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I just grabbed a full tri-ply Kirkland set to replace our Calphalon 14-piece nonstick set after accidentally running dry while steaming and making a little bit of deadly Teflon smoke. It was ~5 years old anyway and has been used pretty heavily anyway.

Are there any "gotchas" I need to look out for as someone new to cooking with stainless rather than nonstick? My in-laws are already giving me grief for having "rich people cookware" because they cook like crazy on the same busted-rear end worn out nonstick set they've been using for more than a decade and consider the stainless steel look flamboyant.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You will need to use a lot more fat to cook, if you don't want your food to stick. It will stick anyway, so get used to deglazing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Steam is not smoke."
"I'll do the dishes."

Repeat after me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I'm probably just citing experiences from before I was any good at cooking but everytging I ever cooked in stainless burned to the bottom, stuck, or required a loving massive undertaking to clean the pan.

I'd love to own some but I feel like I (or my wife or any other less anal family member) would just gently caress them up.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Cooking sunny side-up eggs in mine was how I figured it out. Preheated pan, fat, food. Don't burn the fat/turn the heat up too high. On the flip side, don't put anything into a cold pan. If you think something is going to stick and make a terrible mess, it's probably going to unless you adjust accordingly.

Buy some barkeeper's friend.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 20, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Feenix posted:

Yeah I'm probably just citing experiences from before I was any good at cooking but everytging I ever cooked in stainless burned to the bottom, stuck, or required a loving massive undertaking to clean the pan.

I'd love to own some but I feel like I (or my wife or any other less anal family member) would just gently caress them up.

deglaze or if you wanna be super lazy soak - cleaning done

gently caress you can dishwash stainless

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
It took some messy dishes to figure out how to use stainless pans correctly, but now I use it for almost everything.

Pro-tip: If you really really gently caress it up (beyond barkeeper's friend repair territory) you can simmer some coca-cola in the pan and it will break up almost everything.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is this legit? Because it may change everything for me...

https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/health/how-to-cook-on-season-a-stainless-steel-pan-to-create-a-non-stick-surface/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm not afraid to mess up some pots & pans as long as they can be recovered, and know that I'll have to use more fat for sticky things. Still optimistic that learning to cook can get a better experience out of stainless steel stuff rather than non-stick.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Or just have two+ pans: one Teflon and one regular. I mean poo poo, I've got a carbon steel pan, a Teflon pan, and a cast iron pan. Each has their place.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a recommended SS fry pan /sautée pan... 10-12 inches, under or around 50 bucks?

Pipe dream?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

1redflag posted:

Or just have two+ pans: one Teflon and one regular. I mean poo poo, I've got a carbon steel pan, a Teflon pan, and a cast iron pan. Each has their place.

I'm not getting rid of all my nonstick, especially for stuff like eggs. Just wanted to shift from cooking literally everything on nonstick pans / skillets / pots to thinking "do I want nonstick for this" before I start cooking.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I do about 60% of my cooking in a big D5 skillet, 30% in a lovely T-fal that I replace every 6-9 months when I need super non-stick and the rest uses a collection of pans I really should toss most of them since I barely have room.

Edit: Ahahah TIL that All-Clad sells their own version of barkeeper's friend but instead of $2 per 12oz it's $18 per 12oz get hosed all-clad. (They make amazing pans though)

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 20, 2017

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Feenix posted:

Is there a recommended SS fry pan /sautée pan... 10-12 inches, under or around 50 bucks?

Pipe dream?

Take your pick, they'll both be fine. Personally I like the Tramontina geometry more.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP22-24N-MultiClad-Stainless-10-Inch/dp/B009P4851S/

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80116-005DS-Stainless-Induction-Ready/dp/B00JAP2IPQ/

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I just grabbed a full tri-ply Kirkland set to replace our Calphalon 14-piece nonstick set after accidentally running dry while steaming and making a little bit of deadly Teflon smoke. It was ~5 years old anyway and has been used pretty heavily anyway.

Are there any "gotchas" I need to look out for as someone new to cooking with stainless rather than nonstick? My in-laws are already giving me grief for having "rich people cookware" because they cook like crazy on the same busted-rear end worn out nonstick set they've been using for more than a decade and consider the stainless steel look flamboyant.
I've got the same set and it's very solid. I've used the entire set so far and I've found heat distribution to be very good with no significant hot spots.

Like others said, stuff will stick to it but it's not always a bad thing. I get much better browning on my stainless than on nonstick. Embrace the fond. You are now capable of deglazing and making great pan sauces! For more delicate things like eggs and fish just use one of the nonstick pans you're keeping.

As far as cleaning, you can deglaze the pan with water after you're done cooking to loosen up any stuck bits. Failing that, a good soak helps immensely. My previous place had very hard water and it tended to discolor the insides of the pan; this was quickly fixed with some Bar Keeper Friend and a little bit of scrubbing.

Feenix posted:

Pipe dream?
I've got a set similar to this cheap one. Been using all 3 pans pretty regularly for about 6-7 months and they seem perfectly fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thanks! A couple questions:

1) Do you think the Tramontina is worth the extra money? And for what reason?
2) Is there a big fundamental difference in something like a fry pan (sloped edges/walls) vs. Skillet pan (90degree walls/edges?) (in how they are used...)

(assuming that is what the naming terminology differentiation refers to...)

cigaw posted:

I've got a set similar to this cheap one. Been using all 3 pans pretty regularly for about 6-7 months and they seem perfectly fine.

Sorry, I said SS, but I should have made it more visible. Looking for Stainless Steel. :)

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

Thanks! A couple questions:

1) Do you think the Tramontina is worth the extra money? And for what reason?
2) Is there a big fundamental difference in something like a fry pan (sloped edges/walls) vs. Skillet pan (90degree walls/edges?) (in how they are used...)

(assuming that is what the naming terminology differentiation refers to...)

Sorry, I said SS, but I should have made it more visible. Looking for Stainless Steel. :)
:doh: My bad, I should read more carefully before the coffee kicks in.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Just looking at the geometry, the Tramotina is clearly going to be the better flipper.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

baquerd posted:

Just looking at the geometry, the Tramotina is clearly going to be the better flipper.

Agreed there. And that is what I tend to gravitate towards for general cookery. I guess I just wanted to know what the walled-sides pan benefits are. Best guess is more liquidy simmer sauces, and more volume.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Feenix posted:

Agreed there. And that is what I tend to gravitate towards for general cookery. I guess I just wanted to know what the walled-sides pan benefits are. Best guess is more liquidy simmer sauces, and more volume.

Pretty much this.

As for the price difference, if they were identical in design I'm not sure Tramontina would be worth it. Most of what I've read makes them seem identical in performance. Yes the Cusinart has reports of warping issues, but I think that's more a result of having way more reviews vs. inferior quality to Tramontina.

But they are not the same design, so I'd say pick based on which pan geometry works better for you.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
If you're sauteing or stirring something in the pan, the high walls make it less likely you're gonna accidentally splash poo poo out onto your cooktop.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr Executive posted:

If you're sauteing or stirring something in the pan, the high walls make it less likely you're gonna accidentally splash poo poo out onto your cooktop.

I think I've gone this long without a high walled pan so I will probably FIRST replace my nonstick beat up fry pan so I don't give my kids food aids or anything. And I can definitely see a place/justification for the high-walled one in the near future. :)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Which Barkeeper's Friend do I buy, the liquid or the powder?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

It's a free country

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Powder. Liquid is a scam.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah you're adding some water to the powder to activate it anyway, I'm assuming the liquid just does that in advance.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Beauty, thanks.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Does anyone have a preferred brand of salt to use in a grinder? I just picked up a Peugeot Uselect Paris set and I already blew through the salt that was in it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, because it's salt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40362094

French fitness blogger killed when her cream whipper exploded, striking her in the chest and causing cardiac arrest.

I'm trying to find out what brand it was and how it failed, but confirmed details are scant. Her family posted a picture of a failed whipper but I'm not 100% sure if it's the exact same one. There are rumors that it was a recalled model, but again, unconfirmed.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

French fitness blogger killed when her cream whipper exploded, striking her in the chest and causing cardiac arrest.

I'm trying to find out what brand it was and how it failed, but confirmed details are scant. Her family posted a picture of a failed whipper but I'm not 100% sure if it's the exact same one. There are rumors that it was a recalled model, but again, unconfirmed.
Washington Post is citing http://www.ardtime.net/ as the brand.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No, because it's salt.

Funny things get said from time to time, but this actually caused me to spit take onto my desk.

Thank you for this.

For content: I see a lot of recipes and stuff refer to Maldon salt for finishing. What is Maldon. Yes I could google, but I like talking poo poo out with you lot.

[edit]

Steve Yun posted:

3 things:

1) this is sad. Condolences.

2) Fitness chick's last name was "burger". I love it.

3) Reasonable or not, I always kind of think about what would happen if the blade on my vitamix shot off. I'm pretty sure it would go up, but for some reason, in my imagination, it frisbees, full force, into my gut. For this reason, I don't let my 4 year old watch me at eye-counter level when I make smoothies and poo poo.

Crazy, I know.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 22, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Marketing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
quote is not edit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want to use this whip cream chat to inform you all that I "invented" alcoholic whipped cream like a decade ago but it was gross as gently caress so we never made it again. I feel like I should let people know.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Funny things get said from time to time, but this actually caused me to spit take onto my desk.

Thank you for this.

For content: I see a lot of recipes and stuff refer to Maldon salt for finishing. What is Maldon. Yes I could google, but I like talking poo poo out with you lot.

[edit]

3 things:

1) this is sad. Condolences.

2) Fitness chick's last name was "burger". I love it.

3) Reasonable or not, I always kind of think about what would happen if the blade on my vitamix shot off. I'm pretty sure it would go up, but for some reason, in my imagination, it frisbees, full force, into my gut. For this reason, I don't let my 4 year old watch me at eye-counter level when I make smoothies and poo poo.

Crazy, I know.

It would not go up. That's not where its momentum is pointing, unless you're talking about it somehow acting as a propeller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Does anyone have a preferred brand of salt to use in a grinder? I just picked up a Peugeot Uselect Paris set and I already blew through the salt that was in it.

Grinding peppercorns releases flavor.

Grinding salt just makes the salt smaller.

Just buy the salt in the size you want.

Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt is the salt you want for pretty much everything.

Maldon brand salt is good for finishing things like tomatoes.