Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

his complaint is hilarious because DSA east bay's twitter is nothing but "come to this canvassing event" or "meeting on x date"

some chapters are closer to his description. anchorage dsa is nonstop avant-garde-as-gently caress memes that imo are actually pretty funny but iirc basically everyone in that chapter is a teenager or early 20s

i would be ok with the shitposting being restricted to the yds twitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm a post irony uh poster

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Impact font on my Abuela?

*gets the vapors*

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
http://i.imgur.com/CgrVCnK.mp4

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i mean it bothers me how the democrats have come across as fundamentally un-serious, detached from the consequences of their political failures and policy compromises, wreathed in cheery branding, and this poo poo really isn't an appealing alternative to me -->

https://twitter.com/PhillyDSA/status/875125858599669761

it's worth criticizing, sorry

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
now this --->

https://twitter.com/nycDSA/status/871827480478453762

is good

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Let's Play is both the cradle the final bastion of the american Left

Serf
May 5, 2011

let me be the first to say it

i am mad online

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GalacticAcid posted:

i mean it bothers me how the democrats have come across as fundamentally un-serious, detached from the consequences of their political failures and policy compromises, wreathed in cheery branding, and this poo poo really isn't an appealing alternative to me -->

https://twitter.com/PhillyDSA/status/875125858599669761

it's worth criticizing, sorry

And a younger person who didn't know who Eugene V Debs is might do a little research? It's a really dumb thing to get mad about. An organization is trying to bring younger people on and this is a way to appeal to them and unlike "how do you do fellow kids?" from HRC and Co, it's genuine and working.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I don't actually care about leftism, i'm just here for the memes

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Matt Zerella posted:

And a younger person who didn't know who Eugene V Debs is might do a little research? It's a really dumb thing to get mad about. An organization is trying to bring younger people on and this is a way to appeal to them and unlike "how do you do fellow kids?" from HRC and Co, it's genuine and working.

Yea this

gently caress the corporate, shiny plastic bullshit

The DSA memes are organic

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Something Awful dot com, single-minded bastion of cool-guy Twitter leftism hahahahhaha

Just wait until being the hotbed of internet leftism gets our registrations back up

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

dril is the tom bombadil of twitter?

also that's basically a longer version of the nite crew cancer quote

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the biggest problem with that article is that he mistakes "treating political subjects without any particular reverence" for "not caring about things".

I don't think anyone joins, for example, the DSA because they don't care.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm sorry GA you said something from Philly was bad but from New York am obligated to fight you now or they're take my septa pass

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i've never been talented funny or perceptive and i love being mad online and getting owned

so what they're saying is, dril should form a political party and run for president

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
also what this genius doesn't seem to realize given the internet trend

is that "discourse" deteriorated once the mainstream internet started blowing up and as usual, gets a lot of things muddled, like trolling for example. You come at them with an argument, they want to discredit you right away by calling you a troll because that way their ideas don't come under attack apparently no matter how dumb it is so really, everyone is disingenuous at this point, him more so at this point now :ironicat:

so now theres layers of "oh no, am i trolling you gosh, you seem really upset over some words ive said that debunked your argument or just disregarded it altogether. You are accusing me of being a troll so I guess I can't waste my time denying it anymore."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anyway, anecdotal but the several dozen people i know in my local chapter who actually run everything basically never post on twitter

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Gonna enjoy counting how many times Shelly Moore Capito shills for his republican challenger.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm sorry GA you said something from Philly was bad but from New York am obligated to fight you now or they're take my septa pass

i live in new york and im from pittsburgh...but somehow i really like philly too

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Yea this

gently caress the corporate, shiny plastic bullshit

The DSA memes are organic
These are good memes.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Serf posted:

this rules imo

he's got a lot wrong and also a lot right. like what's he talking about people pretending to be not mad online. folks are plenty mad online, and if you're even slightly clued in u realize that irony is just a way of expressing the fact that u care a whole lot

im mad online and theres nothing u can do about it mfer

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Al! posted:

im mad online and theres nothing u can do about it mfer

Gonna report your rear end to the meme police

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
shitposting is emotional labor

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

the FL Dem party is probably in trouble

the millionaire big donor who became chair in January snubbed state legislators by cutting then out of an event and not telling them. naturally they got annoyed because he kept them waiting in the wings without telling them their part had been cancelled. he responded to concerns about the snub by complaining that "they're like children, these black legislators, they just don't get it", even though white and Hispanic lawmakers had also complained. then when the black caucus heard about that racist-sounding remark and met with him to discuss their concerns, he accused them of "playing the race card"

of course, this is a guy who's been loathed in the party establishment for a long time, but the DNC pretended to like him because he brought in the money, and even backed him in the race for FL Dem chair. they even got Ellison to endorse him

he's now saying that he's ready to resign...if the elected FL Dems want him to. of course, he still brings in the money, so the establishment FL Dems are already spewing positively Trumpish quotes about how Bittel isn't racist, he's just an incompetent rich idiot who's too stupid to not say racist things

i doubt they're gonna have the balls to boot a wealthy donor and big fundraiser, so the black caucus is just gonna have to take one for the team for the sake of rich white people. hail satan, gently caress this planet

oh look it's exactly what a lot of us are talking about when we say that idpol is a bludgeon to be used against the left, with the folks ultimately wielding it being fully willing to throw the people they're supposedly the real allies of under the loving bus whenever it's convenient

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

are we sure that freddie deboer isn't homework explainer and or fidel castronaut

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the thing he doesnt really get is that the ~nothing matters~ mantra isnt a resigned sigh, but an organic rallying point. things used to matter, and maybe they can in the future, but right now? lol

the memes are, in turn, just a reaction to the same mimetic bullshit recycled by normcore politicians, but in ways that bring new people into the fold. confronting someone directly with cops murdering black people and getting off unpunished is a challenging action; there's a lot of people who dont want to acknowledge it exists much less look directly at it. but he-was-no-angel memes are ways to normalize it. any shithead dsa memelord repeating them helps get the idea that cops and society justify murdering black people by looking up social media posts after the fact out there into the world

society has drastically changed and most formal social structures are still using the old tools. democrats trying to shame republicans by saying they're being hypocrites, as if this was like the days when people were more mad about nixon being salty af in his tapes than about nixon breaking the law. society needs that detachment to say that these tools are lovely and irrelevant and to give the mental space to build new tools and new ways of looking at things and new ways to address the new shapes of violence coming from the right

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Freddie!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

shitposting is emotional labor

toiling in the salt mines has its downsides ya

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im online as gently caress rn

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

as a memelord I

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

let me be the first to say it

i am mad online

https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/877210712199884801

it me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tbh i think guys like freddie are really just the symptom of investing a ton of your revolutionary zeal into the concept of educating future generations to reject the impossibly broken system of capitalsm, then getting to the level where they actually let you teach and finding A. It is very difficult to make a living because boomer academics pulled the ladder up on the ivory tower, and you can hope to adjunct for a decade at best before a slot will open up for you B. younger generations are passing through, more interested in memes and street fights than political theory

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
randy bryce

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

also what this genius doesn't seem to realize given the internet trend

is that "discourse" deteriorated once the mainstream internet started blowing up and as usual, gets a lot of things muddled, like trolling for example. You come at them with an argument, they want to discredit you right away by calling you a troll because that way their ideas don't come under attack apparently no matter how dumb it is so really, everyone is disingenuous at this point, him more so at this point now :ironicat:

so now theres layers of "oh no, am i trolling you gosh, you seem really upset over some words ive said that debunked your argument or just disregarded it altogether. You are accusing me of being a troll so I guess I can't waste my time denying it anymore."

the "discourse" was never good, it's just that the non-existence of the internet and general shittiness of national media limited its reach and put a filter on it

Oh Snapple! posted:

oh look it's exactly what a lot of us are talking about when we say that idpol is a bludgeon to be used against the left, with the folks ultimately wielding it being fully willing to throw the people they're supposedly the real allies of under the loving bus whenever it's convenient

i don't recall anyone using idpol as a bludgeon against the black schoolteacher who ran against this white lawyer and real estate developer

unless you count all the idiot morons who said "who cares, you're just complaining about this race as a way to poo poo on Ellison"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so then they conclude that it is the children who are wrong

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matt Zerella posted:

NY Dems are Real Bad.

I was less talking about the Bad Dem to Good Dem axis and more talking about "were is the party actually managing to get itself elected"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

tbh i think guys like freddie are really just the symptom of investing a ton of your revolutionary zeal into the concept of educating future generations to reject the impossibly broken system of capitalsm, then getting to the level where they actually let you teach and finding A. It is very difficult to make a living because boomer academics pulled the ladder up on the ivory tower, and you can hope to adjunct for a decade at best before a slot will open up for you B. younger generations are passing through, more interested in memes and street fights than political theory

i think another big part of it is that there's an expectation of a structured leadership, of course with them in some important role as befitting their smarts. a taking of the academic and building a new structure and smoothly moving from the one to the other with room stickers on each box of opinions

but sea change is stochastic, tidal

and he's mad that the waves do not care about the truth or falsity of his carefully crafted opinions, seeing the occasional coincidental overlap of motion and demand as spiteful

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i think freddie brings up a lot of good points. i don't think he's necessarily 100% correct, but he's very uhhhh firey in his rhetoric which puts off a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

i think another big part of it is that there's an expectation of a structured leadership, of course with them in some important role as befitting their smarts. a taking of the academic and building a new structure and smoothly moving from the one to the other with room stickers on each box of opinions

but sea change is stochastic, tidal

and he's mad that the waves do not care about the truth or falsity of his carefully crafted opinions, seeing the occasional coincidental overlap of motion and demand as spiteful

humans are my favorite kind of torus

• Locked thread