Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm closing on on completing my first Fiesta run! I'm in World 3 and am not sure what I'll need to do/skip and where the best level grinding spots are for this party.

Knight (Brave Blade / Excalibur) / Mystic (Dual Wield) / Ninja (Assassin Dagger / Thief Knife, !Spellblade for stats?) / Dragoon (Holy Lance, !Spellblade for stats?)

I'm two tablets in and don't think I really need the other tablets considering I'm swords/knives/spears only. Shinryu might be on the table assuming I drop the Excalibur and Holy Lance, but I'm assuming Omega's out?

You can beat the trench boss, just toss lightning scrolls as your only source of damage against them. Or just use the magic lamp to Odin them.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

You can beat the trench boss, just toss lightning scrolls as your only source of damage against them.

Don't I need to do Fork Tower in order to get access to the sub so I can do most of these extra areas? How do I do a mage tower with only phys jobs?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fhqwhgads posted:

Don't I need to do Fork Tower in order to get access to the sub so I can do most of these extra areas? How do I do a mage tower with only phys jobs?

You've got Mystic Knight and can shut down the magic boss with Silence spellblade.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Level 42 :black101:

Now to steamroll everything up through... uh, probably up through W3 without trying? I guess I do "only" have two Angel Rings.

(I haven't replaced the backlit screen on this GBA yet but man it's so gorgeous.)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

You've got Mystic Knight and can shut down the magic boss with Silence spellblade.

Wait, !Spellblade counts as magic in that fork? :aaaaa:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fhqwhgads posted:

No, it doesn't, but it sets Silence on him so he can't counter with resetting the battle, then you just beat him up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No, but spellblades always hit if they're vulnerable to it. And if Rug Wizard can't cast, he can't Return (for non-iOS versions).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Fhqwhgads posted:

!Spellblade is magic (it even shows up in your magic menu). Attacking with a Spellblade isn't, but since the Return counter is cast a spell and Silence Spellblade hits 100% of the time, you don't really have to worry about it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I mean, the actual !spellblade command counts as magic. It's the hitting him that doesn't.

e:f,b

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I never knew this, that's awesome.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I've done quadzerker Liquid Flame at 20 and also at 18. It did require resets, but I'm wondering why you don't think you can even come close - maybe the ports changed the transform mechanic to not be fully random? That would mess with "pray for switches between hand and tornado over and over (and pick bad Fira targets)" pretty hard. Blaze hurts.

It still feels pretty random. The one time I got her below 1000 was after a long series of Hand / Tornado switches when I had one left standing and she was out of MP. That was one out of thirty tries, though--most of the time I'm not EVEN getting under 2000. Honestly I think it's supposed to be easier which is really confusing (I don't think Blaze can miss in the original versions, unless I'm misreading the Algorithms FAQ, and it can miss here).

I keep thinking there's some math here that I'm not working out. If the only way she can hurt me is 1) a 33% chance of Blaze in Human form, 2) Blaze counter in Human form, and 3) Fira counter in Hand form, I'd really like to be able to stagger the four attacks a little better. As it is normally, all four berserkers attack back to back, and if after the first four she's not in Hand, I'm dead: either she heals back half the damage before the next round of attacks, or I get Blazed.

Maybe I should strip Faris (and maybe Lenna too?) to make her faster so she gets to that second round a little bit faster.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Sage Grimm posted:

No, but spellblades always hit if they're vulnerable to it. And if Rug Wizard can't cast, he can't Return (for non-iOS versions).

Just to clarify, Silence does work on him in the Matrix versions. It just wears off really fast. MKs apply it with every strike, though, so they work fine. What you can't do is Silence him and then Berserk him. The Berserk will work (and he will proceed to go off on you), but he will cast Return through it. One of these days I'm going to get Monk and White Mage and see if I can counter him to death.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

OzFactor posted:

Liquid Flame is not even close to happening with four zerks at level 21. I'm starting to wonder if there's something subtle here making this worse for the Matrix versions, what with you people saying you're doing it at 19. Not only do I not see this happening, I don't see this happening until I'm doing 50% more damage, which is going to be a lot more levels, not just one or two.

I believe he is considered back row in the Matrix versions.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

blakelmenakle posted:

Well that would explain the big differences in physical damage between forms. I do twice as much to Hand as to the others, but I thought it was just because Hand has 0 defense--I thought the gimmick was "hit the Hand and use magic on the other two." Looking at the FAQ, all three forms have 0 defense and Hand just has more m-def. But if Human and Tornado are in the back row...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

blakelmenakle posted:

That's a pretty huge departure from the SNES/GBA versions, where an enemy couldn't be in the back row unless there was another enemy in front of it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
ugh, Byblos with Monk/Berserker/Bard (which isn't actually available yet, thanks roll) is now also miserable

e: just took a few resets to get lucky with not having drains proc on all my attacks

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 20, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

blakelmenakle posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, that's awful for Berserkers.

UberJew posted:

e: just took a few resets to get lucky with not having drains proc on all my attacks
Byblos is a weird fight like that. Sometimes he doesn't cast Protect for the entire length of the fight and decides he doesn't feel like Draining today either.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Sam / Sam / Ninja / Sam.

Welp, here we go *Rolls up sleeves*

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Free/Bers/Bers/???

alrighty then :shepface:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

derra posted:

Sam / Sam / Ninja / Sam.

Welp, here we go *Rolls up sleeves*

You get Gil Tossed at you!! And you get Gil Tossed at you! Everyone gets Gil Tossed at them!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, that's awful for Berserkers.

Yeah. I went ahead and cheated. Lenna took off her wolf hat. I'd rather get stuck on Byblos where I can try to fight Chimeras in the desert to gain levels.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Supremezero posted:

You get Gil Tossed at you!! And you get Gil Tossed at you! Everyone gets Gil Tossed at them!

Oh, I'm in W3. It's not beating NED that I'm worried about.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Basch lives! And understands that robots too deserve to live.

Not dragons or trees though.

Instead of running another fiesta right now, I think I'll try playing through XII again and maybe finish it this time.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Well, you know who's good at getting anything they want in Karnak is a pack of overlevelled kids in wolf hats.

edit: come to think of it... why do the soldiers attack you in Karnak? The castle's going to blow up, so let's... try to kill these friendly citizens? I guess anything goes when the captain of the guard is some sort of famed serial killer.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 20, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

edit: come to think of it... why do the soldiers attack you in Karnak?

Why does anything happen to the party? Probably Exdeath's fault. Plus, you know, you did just shiv the hell out their queen after she became a giant person made out of fire. (Because Exdeath made her, of course)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a pretty huge departure from the SNES/GBA versions, where an enemy couldn't be in the back row unless there was another enemy in front of it.

There's an exception or two here and there, like Sandworm is always back-row (probably due to the holes and weird gimmick).

But Matrix making a fight more difficult with dumb bullshit does not surprise me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know red mages ain't bad with throw, since scrolls are dirt cheap compare to rods. Anything to make it even stronger?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Aaaaaand I beat Byblos without gaining another level. I'm pretty happy about my LF decision.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Is it just me or are there way more berserkers in this Fiesta? It seems like everyone got a Berserker, and if the option allowed it, multiple Berserker? Was the fruits of the Berserkertree abundant this year?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DoubleCakes posted:

Is it just me or are there way more berserkers in this Fiesta? It seems like everyone got a Berserker, and if the option allowed it, multiple Berserker? Was the fruits of the Berserkertree abundant this year?

If you signed up for berserker risk, you'd get assigned two (well, 1.9) berserkers on average.

So we're down from last year.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DoubleCakes posted:

We vaguely mulled this over in the discord a day or two back and the only theory I like is "a higher percentage of #risk players are goons this year so we hear of more outliers".

(like me :shepicide:)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
this is my first one so im doing a regular old run, i just rolled berserker the old fashioned way

also; thank god for bard???

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If anyone cares for another anecdote, I am rolling through everything with three Berserkers and a Black Mage, aka "Faris desperately throws Rods at problems before the rest do something stupid". I have Fifth Job, so maybe I'll get a fourth Berserker??? (to replace another, I thankfully got the mage first)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Simply Simon posted:

If anyone cares for another anecdote, I am rolling through everything with three Berserkers and a Black Mage, aka "Faris desperately throws Rods at problems before the rest do something stupid". I have Fifth Job, so maybe I'll get a fourth Berserker??? (to replace another, I thankfully got the mage first)

Grind up four flame rings in world 1, your angry mans would appreciate the effort.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i rolled chemist so i guess i need to go read up on how to break the game

Austere things
Feb 4, 2013
So, final tally ends up being Geo/Monk/Zerker/Zerker

Since that seems to mean nothing but lots of hits (and some occasional, mostly ineffectual, halfhearted spells) is my only hope for the last stretch of the game to grind up enough levels that the party can take hits to the face and continue on? I can't think of any really good synergy to use for this group, aside from slapping the hp+ on everyone to give them a bit of a boost, and I'm already assuming the triple crown is far, far out of reach of this group of punchy misfits.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Austere things posted:

So, final tally ends up being Geo/Monk/Zerker/Zerker

Since that seems to mean nothing but lots of hits (and some occasional, mostly ineffectual, halfhearted spells) is my only hope for the last stretch of the game to grind up enough levels that the party can take hits to the face and continue on? I can't think of any really good synergy to use for this group, aside from slapping the hp+ on everyone to give them a bit of a boost, and I'm already assuming the triple crown is far, far out of reach of this group of punchy misfits.

Geomancer's magic makes Rune Axe/Gaia Hammer decent for them.

Otherwise, I'm so sorry.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

UberJew posted:

i rolled chemist so i guess i need to go read up on how to break the game

Shortest form, aka the stuff in !Mix that is absurd no matter what your team composition:

Turtle Shell + Maiden's Kiss: Succubus Kiss. Imagine if Drain had as much power as Flare. Yeah.
Dark Matter + Phoenix Down: Death Potion. Use this to murder things that can be murdered. (Good targets include Dragon Grass and the Seal Guardians)
Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss: Dragon Kiss. Makes a character Heavy (which gives them immunity to a lot of otherwise unresistable status poo poo) and Dragon-type. Can be used on enemies along with Dragon Whisker/Dragon Lance/Apollo's Harp for massive damage.
Phoenix Down + Potion: Resurrection. Because having Arise for free as early as World 1 isn't absurd.
Turtle Shell + Phoenix Down: Remedy. Cures pretty much everything that Dragon Kiss doesn't prevent.
Turtle Shell + Eyedrops: Hasty-Ade. It's Haste. That's all it needs to be.
Antidote + Maiden's Kiss: Levisalve. It's Float. That's all it needs to be.
Holy Water + Antidote: Samson's Might. Gives a character a temporary +10 Levels, to a max cap of 255. This is used in damage calculations, so it makes you murder better. It also makes your spells more likely to hit and the enemy's less likely to. (Hero Cocktails do the same thing, with !Drink, if you have that on a character for some reason.)
Dragon Fang + (Hi-)Potion: Dragon Power. See above, but +20 Levels. Twice as good, but needs a material you can't farm easily (or at all, before Drakenvale). The weaker version, in comparison, uses store-bought materials.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

Just to clarify, Silence does work on him in the Matrix versions. It just wears off really fast. MKs apply it with every strike, though, so they work fine. What you can't do is Silence him and then Berserk him. The Berserk will work (and he will proceed to go off on you), but he will cast Return through it. One of these days I'm going to get Monk and White Mage and see if I can counter him to death.

Counter seems to me like it should work, since the Return counter trigger is based off of action commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DoubleCakes posted:

Everyone getting at least one Berserker has been the case for a few years now, but there do seem to be more triple or even quadruple Zerk parties this time around. Could be that fewer players are running Chaos this year since it's no longer a new option, so the same amount of Berserkers is split among fewer teams.

• Locked thread