Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress da Mods posted:

i know this is all a funny irony lol forum and all that edge lords goons but i gotta be real here and say otto was a great guy i knew him growing up he was like a loving brother 2 me.

so what he took a sign?!!! have u ever not taken signs? Seriously have some fuckign compassion.

he had so many plans for this hosed up planet now theyre all gone.

so were you in the special needs class together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

i know this is all a funny irony lol forum and all that edge lords goons but i gotta be real here and say otto was a great guy i knew him growing up he was like a loving brother 2 me.

so what he took a sign?!!! have u ever not taken signs? Seriously have some fuckign compassion.

HMMMM a mighty peculiar post indeed

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Just for the record I have never stolen a sign because who the gently caress steals signs much less steals signs from known murderous dictators?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.amnesty.ca/donate

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

lol the author's name is "La Sha"

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

VikingSkull posted:

it will never cease to amaze me how many people get offended at gallows humor on the something awful dot com comedy website

again a good post that I agree with

you're on a roll

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Psycho Society posted:

couldn't the same be said for someone getting mugged and killed for being in the wrong alley at the wrong time? like say outside an opera house... are you saying batman's parents deserved it, you fucker?

batman's parents deserved it :devil:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FuhrerHat posted:

his initials spell spelled OW

brain hurting juche

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

Just for the record I have never stolen a sign because who the gently caress steals signs much less steals signs from known murderous dictators?

I had a high school friend who stole road signs to try to be 'bad rear end' or whatever. It was kind of lame then and it's even more lame thinking about it now.

I can see his mentality. He's probably like 'hahaha bro I'm going to steal this sign from North Korea and hang it up in my room at the frat house oh man it's gonna be so lit bro'.

No one deserves what happened to him because his fate is out right terrifying. But goddam how stupid can you be to think anything he did was a good idea.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

why was he dumb enough to think going to NK was a good idea?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Otto, why didn't you run
Otto's done dead and gone
Otto, why didn't you run
when Kim Jong pulled that .44 gun

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Lord knows what they actually did to him in there to cause damage like that...

That Robot posted:

"Adventure"

You know, since parachuting and whitewater rafting and hiking Macchu Pichu is soooo passé, the kind of thing plebes like US do. He had to be special, had to do more than have an interesting story to tell, he had to out-story everyone else at the party.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Agent Escalus posted:

"Adventure"

You know, since parachuting and whitewater rafting and hiking Macchu Pichu is soooo passé, the kind of thing plebes like US do. He had to be special, had to do more than have an interesting story to tell, he had to out-story everyone else at the party.

tbf he is a worldwide news story now

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

That Robot posted:

Otto explored tthe world, he had just gotten back from backpacking across MExico, so it was on his bucket list...nothing nefarious, sorry u goons dnt leave ur houses?

I went to Cuba before it was "allowed"——its called adventures.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Republicans are jumping all over this, claiming Obama murdered the guy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Trump murdered him, he was alive just a few days ago

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Otto, why didn't you run
Otto's done dead and gone
Otto, why didn't you run
when Kim Jong pulled that .44 gun

Juche please don't
It wasn't his fault
He means so much to me
Juche please don't
He just wants that poster

Run, Otto run, Otto run, Otto run, Otto ruuuuuunn!!!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Getting caught while boarding must suuuck

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21723779-travel-ban-american-citizens-north-korea-may-be-offing-outrageous-death-otto

Apparently the tour group trumped up the safety of traveling there

quote:

HOW safe is it? Extremely safe!” So read the guidance for North Korea on the website of Young Pioneer Tours when Otto Warmbier, a 21-year-old American student, signed up for a five-day trip to North Korea in December 2015.
[...]
“Despite what you may hear,” it continued, “North Korea is probably one of the safest places on Earth to visit.”

quote:

Young Pioneer Tours, [...] also organises travel to former Soviet gulags, Chernobyl and Iran (or, “destinations your mother would rather you stayed away from”, as it brags),

quote:

"I have been very impressed by the Korean government’s humanitarian treatment of severe criminals like myself,” he said during a televised confession.
Rekt

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Bill Engvall's gonna include this guy in his next "heeeeeere's your sign" bit

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Agent Escalus posted:

"Adventure"

Someone on NPR said this exact thing. That it is cool to have a "I was in Pyongyang" story. Sounds incredibly loving dumb to me though. It's someone told that story at a party I would laugh at them.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I hate to bring this up, but the story is like the embodiment of privilege. Dude probably grew up without any serious issues and figured the rules didn't apply to him; and even if he got in trouble or got caught, someone would get him out of it--whether it be a government official, Rodman, or whomever.

I keep going between 'goddam what a horrible fate' and 'goddam how stupid do you have to be to wind up in a situation like his' that I don't really know how I feel about it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

Mr Warmbier said he had tried to take it as a “trophy” for an American church.

hum i have doubts about this confession

anyway china tried

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/877234140483121152

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I hate to bring this up, but the story is like the embodiment of privilege. Dude probably grew up without any serious issues and figured the rules didn't apply to him; and even if he got in trouble or got caught, someone would get him out of it--whether it be a government official, Rodman, or whomever.

I keep going between 'goddam what a horrible fate' and 'goddam how stupid do you have to be to wind up in a situation like his' that I don't really know how I feel about it.

So if anything the problem is acting like you have more privilege than you do? Maybe if his daddy was a little bit richer he could bribed Kim Jong Un through the chinese.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Psycho Society posted:

how will you get a gorgeous north korean waifu then hmm. riddle me that

Well, given the North Korean stance on race mixing and the rather brutal punishment of women suspected of it (highlights include forced abortions and public execution of mother and unborn fetus) I'd guess North Korea would actually be one of the worst places for that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

yeeeeessssssssss!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

So if anything the problem is acting like you have more privilege than you do? Maybe if his daddy was a little bit richer he could bribed Kim Jong Un through the chinese.

Middle class scum got what he deserved for trying to emulate his betters

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I mean they're not necessarily lying. After all, they just kicked a known criminal out of the country without chopping his hand off or branding him or anything like that!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Remember when everyone defended Caro because he was being adventurous

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So how much better is healthcare in NK that they kept a brain dead individual alive for a year with no issues, and the he dies within a week after being flown to a hospital here? Truly the Great Leader knows medical care like no one else.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Caro, anyone have a link to his blog?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

heres all the things bad about this:

1 north korea is bad
2 people who go there are bad
3 his name? bad.
4 the sign he stole was also very bad

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

So how much better is healthcare in NK that they kept a brain dead individual alive for a year with no issues, and the he dies within a week after being flown to a hospital here? Truly the Great Leader knows medical care like no one else.

Maybe Great Leader cared about this dastardly foreign convict more that his own depraved capitalist family.

Makes ya think...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

facebook jihad posted:

It's both of these things and both feelings are right.

What happened to him was horrible and greatly out of proportion to what he did. At the same time it's very stupid that he did what he did. North Korea can hold all the moral and ethical blame for what happened without us needing to overlook that he did a dumb thing.

The dumb thing should not have resulted in his death, but the dumb thing was a dumb thing.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Blue Train posted:

Remember when everyone defended Caro because he was being adventurous

Yeah but Caro came back alive + not in a coma.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

facebook jihad posted:

You can feel both. It was a dumb as hell thing to do and also a horrible nightmarish fate.

It's like a Coen bros movie

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

Yeah but Caro came back alive + not in a coma.

People had accepted his death and it was a complete surprise he came back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Toadvine posted:

You can feel both. It was a dumb as hell thing to do and also a horrible nightmarish fate.

It's like a Coen bros movie

Whoa I never looked at it that way

• Locked thread