Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

KittyEmpress posted:

And at least in the young justice cartoon, he explains that Miss Martian, while not nearly as adept at the physical aspects of her powers, was the strongest psionic of any Martian he had ever met, including himself.

I assumed the reason for that was because Jonn was only comparing to green martians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Except he was almost always taken out immediately in JLU :(

I remember the Suicide Squad episode made him out to be a paramount badass who got chumped almost immediately. Like every other episode.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I remember the Suicide Squad episode made him out to be a paramount badass who got chumped almost immediately. Like every other episode.

I'm specifically thinking of Ties that Bind where he comes off as both a good leader and one badddddd motha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my favorite Martian Manhunter bits was from JLA #18 by Mark Waid. The JLA are fighting Julian September who has been loving with chance/probability. Oracle is trying to get hold of Batman over a secret radio frequency to talk to him about something involving Bruce Wayne (at the time most of them didn't know he was Bruce Wayne from memory) but he can't hear her. So Manhunter, who isn't supposed to know, kind of chuckles and says out of nowhere,"Batman, Oracle is attempting to talk to you in private."

Later in the storyline Manhunter takes over the Batman role of guy who figures everything out and directs everybody what to do, and it was pretty cool.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ghost Rider vs Sailor Moon.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
why's thor getting involved tho

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Why have animes corrupted Ghost Rider?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a monstrous corruption which reshaped flesh into living approximations of anime. god, that was a good run.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sure. What's the source?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

You mean the episode where he was torn in half and still kicked all their asses?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider was so much fun :allears:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Superman was the one constantly getting Worfed by unexpected electric charges on JLU. J'onn gets a lot of good moments, like when he punches through a brainiac robot and uses it's torso as a shield while using it to blast other brainiac robots.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

purple death ray posted:

Superman was the one constantly getting Worfed by unexpected electric charges on JLU. J'onn gets a lot of good moments, like when he punches through a brainiac robot and uses it's torso as a shield while using it to blast other brainiac robots.

That time on JLU when J'onn shows up on the Great Wall of China and starts beating the poo poo out of Darkseid's forces in the form of a great red dragon before shifting to his usual form so Wonder Woman knows who he is.

Also, isn't it established in comics that J'onn was some kind of super-weapon/super-soldier Martian? There was a whole event about it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That time on JLU when J'onn shows up on the Great Wall of China and starts beating the poo poo out of Darkseid's forces in the form of a great red dragon before shifting to his usual form so Wonder Woman knows who he is.

Also, isn't it established in comics that J'onn was some kind of super-weapon/super-soldier Martian? There was a whole event about it.

Better yet, he starts the battle I'm thr form of Asian Jack Kirby punching out parademons

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That scene was so great because they had really committed to it and J'onn had been out of the League for like the entire season to go experience humanity, and now here he is in China, with a wife, who apparently knows he's a Martian. It was a genuine surprise the first time you see it but it immediately tells you so much about the character and the life he's been leading off screen this whole time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And the simple fact that J'onn's speech patterns had changed. He was using contractions and being all casual, instead of the stiff, formal outsider he'd been before.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Phylodox posted:

And the simple fact that J'onn's speech patterns had changed. He was using contractions and being all casual, instead of the stiff, formal outsider he'd been before.

It was a great payoff for all the "I don't know if I can keep superheroing if I can't relate to people" stuff he had going since the JLU started.

Also I just love the idea the moment he stops hanging out with superheroes he makes himself look like an average guy instead of a dude with a godlike physique. The show didn't do a whole lot with the idea that Jonn was an average family man back on mars before he became the manhunter, and that felt like a nice way to call back to it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

good day for a bris posted:

It was a great payoff for all the "I don't know if I can keep superheroing if I can't relate to people" stuff he had going since the JLU started.

Also I just love the idea the moment he stops hanging out with superheroes he makes himself look like an average guy instead of a dude with a godlike physique. The show didn't do a whole lot with the idea that Jonn was an average family man back on mars before he became the manhunter, and that felt like a nice way to call back to it.

JL:DARK had a good John Jones.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Say Nothing posted:

Please to be telling me what trade that is in, so I can get my comic shop to order it.
That panel deserves to be owned.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Toshimo posted:

JL:DARK had a good John Jones.

Is he invisible?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haitfais posted:

Is he invisible?

Maybe that's him in the center? Wasn't he pretending to be a detective when he first came to Earth?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That's John Constantine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if that was supposed to be a joke it went way over my head

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

That's John Constantine.

Who probably has more name recognition.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cabbit posted:

That's John Constantine.

Yeah, looks like MM had brown hair when detecting.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just escaped genocide time to slap together an identity and go on an adventure!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Push El Burrito posted:

I just escaped genocide time to slap together an identity and go on an adventure!

Honestly yeah I would probably do that too

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

Yeah, looks like MM had brown hair when detecting.

"As for my name -- well, J'onn J'onzz could easily be John Jones!
But where's the fun in a new identity without a new name?
Henceforth I shall be known as Leugenia Pinklethwarp!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC there was an issue of JLA which revealed that J'onn actually has a bunch of different civilian identities.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there was an issue of JLA which revealed that J'onn actually has a bunch of different civilian identities.

He's even had different heroic identities, such as being Bio Armor Jade Warrior in Japan...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

Though I mainly watched JLU for Flash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Push El Burrito posted:

Did he even know about the genocide at that point?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Selachian posted:

He's even had different heroic identities, such as being Bio Armor Jade Warrior in Japan...

These are awesome. J'onn rules.

Push El Burrito posted:

Flash was great in JLU. I still go back and watch the time he beat the Brainiac out of Luthor, or the time he "caught" the Trickster.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rhonne posted:

Flash was great in JLU. I still go back and watch the time he beat the Brainiac out of Luthor, or the time he "caught" the Trickster.

Everyone having their insecurities and fear played on by Brainiac's clones, Flash just responds that he has a seat at the conference table he's gonna paint his logo on :3:

Rhyno posted:

Did he even know about the genocide at that point?

I only know like 2 things about Martian Manhunter: he likes Oreos and he hates genocide.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

That's from the most recent Martian Manhunter solo by Rob Williams and I wanna say Eddy Barrows did some of it? It's really great and the concepts it deals in are very alien in a really cool way.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Aside from the fact that it's faithful to the point of basing compositions on individual comic panels, the direction of the movie is not "taken" from the comic (comic books are not directed). It's rather obvious from things like how scenes, action, and dialogue play out. One example is how the comic at points indulges in empty negative space that has a coldly calming effect, while in the movie this aspect is completely absent.

Here's a 300 funny to get away from the derail:

The movie ruined one of the utterly defining moments in the comic.
In the comic, when Leonidas boots the Persian emissaries into the giant well, he's offhand, casual, Laconic, almost bored.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Differing from source material is not ruining.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bongo Bill posted:

Differing from source material is not ruining.

When the difference is bad it is

E: the creation of the "this is Sparta" meme should be enough to declare 300 a war crime

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
It does give a different emotional impact, for sure. Getting riled up and screaming something patriotic is different from treating it like another drat pile of dog poo poo to clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheCenturion posted:

The movie ruined one of the utterly defining moments in the comic.
In the comic, when Leonidas boots the Persian emissaries into the giant well, he's offhand, casual, Laconic, almost bored.

Fitting since that's where we get the word "laconic" from.

quote:

One prominent example involves Philip II of Macedon, who after invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, sent a message to Sparta:
You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city.
The Spartan ephors replied with a single word:
If.