Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the end of bleach was so incredibly unsatisfying it may as well have been considered having sex with my wife lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing I kinda like about HxH is that Gon is basically the logical conclusion of a Goku/Luffy type of personality in that he's basically a high-functioning sociopath that isn't as evil as most of the people he fights only because his moral compass very barely points in the right direction so long as things mostly go his way in the end.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i love that one of the guys rushing him is a ninja. yeah thats not even close to the weirdest thing in hxh but it just cracks me up for some reason

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna get me that Hersoaky.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

togashi is a master of conveying action and paneling

he is extremely good at every aspect of making comics

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ruggington posted:

togashi is a master of conveying action and paneling

he is extremely good at every aspect of making comics

except for the part about making them on a regular schedule, yeah

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

tbp posted:

the end of bleach was so incredibly unsatisfying it may as well have been considered having sex with my wife lol.

Hate to break it to you but the end of Bleach actually happened.

so anyway what's this about rumors of the hiatus ending on the 26th? Or was that just bullshit again considering that it was a thing about the hiatus ending?

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 18, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

homeless hungry plz help posted:

Hate to break it to you but the end of Bleach actually happened.

so anyway what's this about rumors of the hiatus ending on the 26th? Or was that just bullshit again considering that it was a thing about the hiatus ending?

There are no rumors. New chapters again starting next week.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fabricated posted:

The only thing I kinda like about HxH is that Gon is basically the logical conclusion of a Goku/Luffy type of personality in that he's basically a high-functioning sociopath that isn't as evil as most of the people he fights only because his moral compass very barely points in the right direction so long as things mostly go his way in the end.

Gon is mostly a stable boy who had a happy childhood? I mean, if you want to see someone who is pretty screwed up you can always picture Killua's childhood and life up until the Hunter's Exam.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

Gon is mostly a stable boy who had a happy childhood? I mean, if you want to see someone who is pretty screwed up you can always picture Killua's childhood and life up until the Hunter's Exam.

A happy childhood, yes, but in some ways his background is more alien to the audience's than Killua's is. He grew up in a very rural area without a lot of other children around, and thus doesn't even know what video games and the Internet are at first.

Also, he may have been sexually abused by female tourists. :can:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Gon is a sociopath. Sure, he's a weird kid, but as far as weird kids go, he's got nothing on the Zoldycks. He's just kind of poor at dealing with situations he's got no time to assess or, when he does know what's up, deals with things as he sees fit in an (admittedly) extreme fashion. For example, the fight with the bomber is scary as gently caress, not only because of the circumstances that Gon is willing to put himself through to defeat the guy, but because the bomber himself is getting psyched, like "Is this kid out of his loving mind. HOLY poo poo, THAT WAS HIS HAND! WHY THE gently caress IS HE STILL GOING? I JUST BLEW HIS loving HAND". And before he knew it, he's on the receiving end of an rear end-beating.

So, while Gon might be a strange little bugger, I don't think this alone qualifies him as a sociopath.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hunter X Hunter is super subversive and interesting in what they do with Gon for example thanking Bizolt as well as not judging Zepyr(?) when he showed them how to fake antiques. Just lmao if you think he's a socipath though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

A happy childhood, yes, but in some ways his background is more alien to the audience's than Killua's is. He grew up in a very rural area without a lot of other children around, and thus doesn't even know what video games and the Internet are at first.

Also, he may have been sexually abused by female tourists. :can:

I grew up mostly w/o a ton of kids my age so I could relate to Gon :shrug:

For example, I didn't know how to create DVD/CD discs and a ton stuff all the way through HS esp if your parents didn't want you to play games/watch tv/the internet. Ofc, I'm better off now but I did lol how Gon has to return to school now he's just a regular kid again.

fwiw: That scene was a creepy and idek where it was supposed to go other than Gon had no friends other than Killua.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gon isn't a sociopath. he is in fact very empathetic. however, you don't have to be a sociopath to be severely hosed in the head.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

gon isn't a sociopath. he is in fact very empathetic. however, you don't have to be a sociopath to be severely hosed in the head.

sociopaths have empathy they just choose when to turn it on and off.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

What do you mean I can't call characters I dislike sociopaths?!

Yeah, I'm a bit tired of terrible people being called out for having mental illnesses because of reasons.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope hisoka wins

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Shouldn't the raws be out right now?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I believe they come out Wednesday and chapters TLed by thursday morning (US time)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers usually start coming out on Wednesday I think.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
In the meantime

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/877130240186736644?s=09

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

t h i c c

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know Hisoka was a butt-boy.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
I like it. The cover isn't too cluttered, the colors seem nice and fit the blue police sketch of Chrollo. Good stuff.

Chrollo's bemused "This clown again" look also makes the cover great.

FanofPortals fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 20, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kinda strange Hisoka's only appeared on three covers to date despite his prominance in the story.

In any case, cool cover for a cool volume. Shame past experience dictates it'll be a year before it's available in the States.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Kinda strange Hisoka's only appeared on three covers to date despite his prominance in the story.

In any case, cool cover for a cool volume. Shame past experience dictates it'll be a year before it's available in the States.

He's on Volume 7 as well, what's the third one?

His last two covers have been amazing too

and his earliest ones are perfect

EmmyOk posted:

I really like Togashi's early covers

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
So, before HxH comes back, who do people think will die on the boat?

All the Phantom Troupe members except Kalluto are doomed, of course; they're on the same boat as Kurapica and Hisoka, along with a lot of other strong people who aren't on their side, and there's no obvious narrative role for them on the Dark Continent itself. Kalluto is relatively safe because Kurapica wouldn't kill a child, and while Hisoka has no moral qualms about it, he would be reluctant to kill someone who has the potential to become much stronger, or one of Illumi's little brothers. Then again, Hisoka might be so angry at the Phantom Troupe right now that he doesn't care about things like that anymore, or Kalluto might betray the Troupe at the wrong moment and get killed by Chrollo.

Leorio is safe because killing him off before he gets his turn to be the main character would be pointless. Kurapica probably gets a degree of plot armor as the current main character.

Most of the Zodiacs will probably survive so they can be relevant to Dark Continent stuff, but some of the more narrowly combat-oriented ones might die.

As for the Princes of Kakin and their mothers, Woble will survive and Tserriednich will die, but I have no idea about the rest.

Biscuit should be fine as long as she doesn't fight Chrollo alone or something. The other bodyguards are toast.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurapika should drown himself and let the trip be Hisoka's wild ride instead of Kurapika's boatventure

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

All the Phantom Troupe members except Kalluto are doomed, of course; they're on the same boat as Kurapica and Hisoka, along with a lot of other strong people who aren't on their side, and there's no obvious narrative role for them on the Dark Continent itself. Kalluto is relatively safe because Kurapica wouldn't kill a child, and while Hisoka has no moral qualms about it, he would be reluctant to kill someone who has the potential to become much stronger, or one of Illumi's little brothers. Then again, Hisoka might be so angry at the Phantom Troupe right now that he doesn't care about things like that anymore, or Kalluto might betray the Troupe at the wrong moment and get killed by Chrollo.

Leorio is safe because killing him off before he gets his turn to be the main character would be pointless. Kurapica probably gets a degree of plot armor as the current main character.

Most of the Zodiacs will probably survive so they can be relevant to Dark Continent stuff, but some of the more narrowly combat-oriented ones might die.

As for the Princes of Kakin and their mothers, Woble will survive and Tserriednich will die, but I have no idea about the rest.

Biscuit should be fine as long as she doesn't fight Chrollo alone or something. The other bodyguards are toast.

Of the Zodiacs, Cheadle (the dog) is the main one and a non-combatant and thus probably safe. Saiyu (monkey) is also likely safe since the's the traitor and thus has a role to play on the Continent itself. Mizaistrom (ox) is the other prominent one besides Cheadle, and I'd put him as less safe than she is but moreso than most. I feel like Botobai (dragon) is the most vulnerable of the group, though he might survive the boat journey at least; he's supposed to be the strongest but also has among the least characterization, so he's the prime person to get Worfed, here or by whatever nasties are waiting for them on the Continent itself.

Kurapika and Leorio are both obviously safe. Hisoka... I feel like taking down the Troupe may end in his (final) death too, it's hard to say. Most of the Troupe is in for it though, yeah. This is not a good place for them to be.

Hm, I feel like I had a post speculating on which of the princes would survive too. I've forgotten a lot about them but I doubt my thoughts there will have changed much if I refreshed myself. Baby's probably fine, mother might not be, etc. We'll have to see.

Edit: Found my old predictions, as well as my post summarizing who all the princes are, for those who have forgotten, like me:

Roland Jones posted:

Stealing your pictures (and one from MonsterEnvy below me) to make a list of the names of and what we know about the princes. Thanks.

Benjamin, 1st prince. rear end in a top hat, might be a soldier. Has a rivalry with Tserriednich because they're both murderous egomaniacs, and also brothers. Killed a lion with his bare hands.

Camilla, 2nd prince. She's... Pretty, I guess, and wears nice dresses. I don't know. According to Oito she, as well as the others among the four oldest, are "superior princes" with more power and resources, at least. Tsubeppa, Lazarus, and Harkenberg are her siblings.

Chourai (or Zhang Lei, according to the wiki), 3rd prince. He's short and and weird-looking. Another "superior prince". No direct siblings.

Tserriednich, 4th prince. Big bad dude of this arc and the reason Kurapika's involved. Has the last remaining Kurta eyes. Is a pretty boy, a genius, and a serial killer.

Tsubeppa, 5th prince. Seems to be a scientist, given a previous scene where she was in a lab with a test tube and wearing a labcoat.

Tyson, 6th prince. Arrogant and likely to choose bodyguards based on looks, according to Kurapika. No direct siblings. Izunabi (Kurapika's teacher) is one of her bodyguards.

Lazarus (MS calls him "L'Souris"), 7th prince. Was first seen smoking, has an impressive collection of what are either incense burners or bongs. An idiot, according to Tserriednich; his soldiers were among the ones screened by Kurapika's dowsing. Basho (haiku guy) is one of his bodyguards.

Saresare, 8th prince. Has a harem. ...That's it. No direct siblings.

Harkenberg, 9th prince. Extremely intelligent, but doesn't get along well with others, with Tserriednich being the only person among the royal family he considers a friend. Openly critical of the royal family's actions and policies; his reformist attitude has earned him both supporters and enemies. Probably the most powerful of the non-superior princes, a lot of the others have hitched their hopes to him; if the nature of the death match got out after he became king, it would ruin his reputation, so the weaker ones have witnesses ready to blackmail him and are thus hoping for him to ensure their survival through the expedition.

Kacho, 10th prince. Seems interested in jewelry and fashion. Like Tyson, Kurapika considers her to be arrogant and likely to pick bodyguards based on looks. Sister of Fugetsu, who she's been seen with a couple times. Melody is one of her bodyguards.

Fugetsu, 11th prince. She was doing flower-arranging when we first saw her. Unlike the other younger princes she didn't get a bodyguard via website, so unlike the rest of the people at 10 and lower she doesn't have a protagonist or friend thereof protecting her. Sister of Kacho.

Momoze, 12th prince. She was seen sewing once I guess. Is pretty dang young. Sister of Marayam. Guarded by Hanzo.

Marayam, 13th prince. Has some pet hamsters. Was once seen playing a Game Boy or something. Also a kid. Guarded by Biscuit.

Woble, 14th prince. A baby, so Oito, her mother, is the one making all the decisions regarding her. No direct siblings. Guarded by Kurapika.

All of them have nen beasts from the weird pot thing, but none seem to have their own nen. Their nen beasts are influenced by their personality and other factors, and MS's awful translation says something about the host's "affinity for the dead" affecting the beast, so I expect lunatics like Benjamin and Tserriednich to have especially powerful ones, but the beasts aren't under the control of those who spawned them. Judging from the king's words they're supposed to protect the princes, but a "weak vessel" will presumably make a weak beast, resulting in that individual having low chances of survival.

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, let's see. My bets are on Woble living, while Tserriednich and Benjamin are probably hosed. Chourai is almost definitely dead too. Camilla I don't think will fare well either, though Tsubeppa might have a chance. Harkenberg I can see going either way; I both really want to bet on him becoming king and on him dying, so I can't really call him. If he doesn't die early on and throw things into chaos, he's going to be a major player, at least. Momoze and Marayam I want to live, but the Ant arc showed that children aren't safe here so I can't say for sure. I want the sisters to live too but I don't really know enough to say either way. Lazarus/L'Souris is almost definitely dead I think.

I wish I could tell now if this is going to be a bloodbath or not; while it's obviously going to be chaos, what with all the competing factions, Yorknew was rather light on named character death while the Ant arc (or Greed Island really) massacred a ton of people who received small, medium, and even large amounts of characterization. The king's desire for it to be a massacre and the presence of the nen beasts has me leaning towards bloodbath, in which case I'd be betting on almost everyone dying, but a few things have me not entirely certain it'll work out that way.

I think I stand by most of this still, will have to think about it a bit more. Chourai's definitely dead; I remembered him as "that guy I think is going to die" even before I went and found those posts. Lazarus is hosed too probably. And of course the big bad of the arc and his lion-killing half-brother are not likely to make it either.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 21, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hisoka isn't bowing out before the very end of the manga.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hisoka still has to fight killua and gon when they're properly strong in the unlikely event the manga ever makes it that far

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im half scared almost everyone dies by the time the boat reaches DC and then the story focuses on ging and paristons A-team

edit: im sure once beyond actually breaks out of his cell theres gonna already have been a bloodbath thats taken place and thats gonna be like the midpoint of the arc i think

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think Beyond will stay put until they make landfall because he has to stay on the boat until then anyway. I am still wondering if Monkey is actually the traitor because it was so easy to find him, maybe that was just to show off how strong Kurapika has gotten.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Silver2195 posted:

The boat dies first. Then everyone over 6' tall, then everyone under 4'3".

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
http://www.bakadata.com/manga-spoiler/hunter-x-hunter-361-spoiler

Spoilers are out

ooooh boy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crain posted:

The boat dies first. Then everyone over 6' tall, then everyone under 4'3".

:agreed: there's no reason they'd be on a boat unless it's gonna get shipwrecked.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm so excited for HxH to be back I'm not even going to look.

The last time this happened we got Hisoka v Chrollo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tunicate posted:

:agreed: there's no reason they'd be on a boat unless it's gonna get shipwrecked.

I mean even if it doesn't wreck on the way, this isn't going to end well for almost everyone on board.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it's well known that if you need a break you put everyone on a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only 3 people walking away from this alive are probably going to be Hisoka, Leorio and Kurapica (maybe Ging and Pariston), and that's only because of MC clause.