Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Basically ming makes 0 sense historically and from a gameplay perspective so I have no idea what it's supposed to be good for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I Love You! posted:

Basically ming makes 0 sense historically and from a gameplay perspective so I have no idea what it's supposed to be good for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

I don't mind Ming being stable so much as I'm annoyed that super-stable Ming has half of India and most of the Central Asian steppe as tributaries. It makes any expansion into Asia really tedious because you have to deal with big daddy Ming. The easiest solution is of course to become a tributary yourself!

I should just drop this every time someone mentions it

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
As someone who sporadically plays this and doesn't understand all the mechanics. When I try to steal a map and it says it will fail because I don't have a unit present does it mean near the nation I'm stealing from (dumb) or near the map region I'm stealing (very dumb) or is it bugged (understandable.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

uPen posted:

As someone who sporadically plays this and doesn't understand all the mechanics. When I try to steal a map and it says it will fail because I don't have a unit present does it mean near the nation I'm stealing from (dumb) or near the map region I'm stealing (very dumb) or is it bugged (understandable.)

In a region adjacent to the region you're stealing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

uPen posted:

very dumb is the answer

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Node posted:

I should just drop this every time someone mentions it

It had a lot of good ideas that just need balancing and fixing to make work. Which should have been the first big patch after it came out but lol.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

QuarkJets posted:

very dumb is the answer

Mindless busywork, my favorite. Speaking of which - Paradox I see you fixed it so spies don't drop out of countries when they get caught but they still get ejected from nomadic nations whenever the nomads move provinces.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I tried something new (which turns out to be something similar to what someone else posted yesterday):
Step 1: My capital is the easternmost Brazilian holding (Borborema or something; I renamed it). As alluded to previously, you can daisy chain yourself out like that and connect the dots with Siberian Frontiers. This setup just happens to be For Odin! and FCFS compatible.

I wasnt sure what to do for ideas so I tried to pick things that suit being a Norse Manchu in America.

Step 2: I immediately connect the dots so I can spread towards having a huge footprint as well as getting closer to the Andes. It takes between 6 and 8 years, on average/by my estimation, for a Siberian Frontier to turn into a city.

I have planted as few Frontiers as possible, because...

Step 3: I seeded Renaissance because it would take forever to spread, and, well, it got me two more Age Objectives (city with 30 dev and got me over 100 total dev). All the natives' souls are mine and I dropped a few more Frontiers to expand my footprint further.

I mistakenly moused over my amount of Splendor I had at the time, but it was mid 300s. I knew I would be earning 7/month, no more. I had hoarded as many Diplo MP as I could. If I was at 350, that means I needed to earn 450 more Splendor to unlock the +3 development Age Bonus. 450/7= 64.2 months till I can acquire the +3 dev bonus, so, time to drop some Siberian Frontiers!

Step 4: Drop the bass Frontiers.

I now realize that this is not a very good screenshot visually, but you can see the list of colonies on the right...

Current time: Huyla is my vassal. I am about to declare my first war on England to take those pesky colonies in Columbia and maybe try to grab a foothold in Ireland.

I am chaining colonies and Frontiers to get through Central America. Once I punk England I should be close enough to the Mayans to start picking them apart. The +3 dev Age Bonus will be kicking for another 7 years - I got the whole drat continent with it :prepop:

Comedy bonus: I did not know that the Falklands Islands were a good and proper place to grow Tobacco.

MikeC posted:

The Hundred's Year War was a lot more complicated than just French incompetence. There wasn't really a united France to speak of at all for much of this period. Charles the V of France had deprived the English of almost all their possessions on the continent after the death of Edward III and the Black Prince. What followed was a long peacee until Henry V, one of the great (and ruthless) warrior kings of his time, single handedly won back almost all of France through diplomacy and military strength. If you rewind the clock back to 1420 and had to place bets, England was strong enough that you should be putting money on the Henry ruling a combined Kingdom of France and England for a long time to come. Except he died of disease. Even then his brother who was regent for his child continued to expand English territory up until 1429.

The French only started making serious headway when the English couldn't come to terms to make peace and the death of John of Bedford as well as collapse of the alliance with Burgundy that the war seriously started going downhill. England actually controlled huge and very profitable territories in France and could raise a considerable sum of money off their French holdings despite the fact the taxes enraged French towns and landholders. England of 1444 was still a force to be reckon'd with if it had a leader like Henry V or the Duke of Bedford to lead it. Instead by that time, it had fallen into the same factionalism that plagued the French earlier in the conflict while Charles VII married a woman who's family was fabulously rich and had the energy to to consolidate central power and build an effective army which was more professional than the English.

The England that ended up fighting the War of the Roses was a small shadow of itself and one that was tired of war. The War of the Roses was more of a series of insurrections and counter insurrections fought by the two families without the resources of a country behind them so trying to judge what a united England could have done based on War of the Roses army sizes is faulty.
Well poo poo, I remember less than I thought. Thank you for enlightening me/us.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 20, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
After England lost its continental possessions it was not nearly so much of a force to be reckoned with for a few centuries to be fair. I think it's just the way it is for balance reasons.

I Love You! posted:

it's actually cool & good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ming consistently snagging nations as far west as Iraq as tributaries is neither cool nor good

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
I'd say that curtailing the range of tributaries is the way to go. Tributaries in odd places are the one key problem with the MIng as-is, and most of what needs solving. I don't really get the complaints about Ming being stable as if that's a Ming-specific issue. I could say the exact same thing for the Ottomans, Russia, the Timurids and France. Playing a small state close to Ming is much, much more doable than getting a game off the ground as Serbia, Novgorod, Tabarestan, Savoy, or similarly-sized countries.

I strongly disagree with the idea that there should be Ming-specific disasters and events cropping up all the time. A one-time or two-time disaster like the civil wars England/Castile have? That could be fine. But Mandate of Heaven just got rid of the terrible, unfun nonsense Ming had been pilloried with since Divine Wind back in EU3. I'd really rather not have that kind of thing introduced. As I see it, the entire point of EU is to be an alternate history simulator. Trying to be (pseudo)-determinstic was dubious when it happened back in EU2, I see no compelling reason Paradox should move back to that kind of game model.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caustic Soda posted:

I'd say that curtailing the range of tributaries is the way to go. Tributaries in odd places are the one key problem with the MIng as-is, and most of what needs solving. I don't really get the complaints about Ming being stable as if that's a Ming-specific issue. I could say the exact same thing for the Ottomans, Russia, the Timurids and France. Playing a small state close to Ming is much, much more doable than getting a game off the ground as Serbia, Novgorod, Tabarestan, Savoy, or similarly-sized countries.

I strongly disagree with the idea that there should be Ming-specific disasters and events cropping up all the time. A one-time or two-time disaster like the civil wars England/Castile have? That could be fine. But Mandate of Heaven just got rid of the terrible, unfun nonsense Ming had been pilloried with since Divine Wind back in EU3. I'd really rather not have that kind of thing introduced. As I see it, the entire point of EU is to be an alternate history simulator. Trying to be (pseudo)-determinstic was dubious when it happened back in EU2, I see no compelling reason Paradox should move back to that kind of game model.

IRL the Ottomans, Russia, and France all existed as at least somewhat-stable empires by 1821. The Timurids consistently fall apart in-game, so I'm not sure what complaint you'd raise there.

Ming, meanwhile, can never ever transition into Qing; it's simply not possible with the current game mechanics. Mingsplosions were definitely not a reasonable approach to modeling China, but a completely stable Ming with maximum mandate for the entire game is also not reasonable. I don't think anyone is even asking for pseudo-determinism, merely that historical outcomes should be possible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If they want to get serious about modeling China they need to get serious about modeling the internal structures of the nations in the game. A unified well run China was and should be a nearly unstoppable behemoth, but once the kingdom started to become divided among factions, when inflation made currency practically useless, and natural disaster displaced hundreds of thousands it created a situation where external enemies and ambitious generals could kick down the whole rotten system with ease.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So... when exactly was Trump added as a USA dynasty name?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I Love You! posted:

I would recommend seperate peacing like 90% of the wars you are in and using it to take key provinces halfway across the content + huge stacks of money. Your allies will get over it almost immediately and the benefits are immense.

Separate peace is like a No-CB war you didn't have to take a stab hit for and which you had a free ally eat the brunt of the actual combat to win. I separate peace almost all of my calls to arms and probably still don't do it often enough. My favorite is probably joining a war against Portugal or Spain and taking a center of trade in Iberia which I then use as a front to conquer the entire region later using the same ally I backstabbed by separate peacing.

The trust hit from peacing is the same bonus you got from accepting the call to arms and the overall relations hit is really minor. As long as they win the war or white peace and don't get forced to cancel the alliance it will have an extremely minor impact on your present relations and will fix itself in no time.

As it turned out, I decided not to peace out because I didn't need all that AE. In the peace deal, France decided to give me a couple Hungarian provinces I'd marked as of interest. How sweet of them!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

give ming a doom counter with no way to lower it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

also give them the aztec events verbatim for laughs

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

MikeC posted:

What followed was a long peacee until Henry V, one of the great (and ruthless) warrior kings of his time, single handedly won back almost all of France through diplomacy and military strength. If you rewind the clock back to 1420 and had to place bets, England was strong enough that you should be putting money on the Henry ruling a combined Kingdom of France and England for a long time to come. Except he died of disease. Even then his brother who was regent for his child continued to expand English territory up until 1429.

I've always thought it would be funny if you conquered France as England before 1500 or whatever if an event immediately fired that moves your capital to Paris and tag-switches you to France. :lol:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Caustic Soda posted:

But Ming was horribly crippled by disasters and bad leadership historically? "Ming" was a formation, not a naturally occurring nation-state. There are dozens of languages spoken by the millions of people that live there. The country was held together by an administration; when (and not if) that administration faltered, poo poo happened. As it is in EU4, Ming starts off as a unified, stable country with no problems and only gets stronger. There are currently zero drawbacks. If, as the player, you want to start as the most powerful country in the world you have to expect to be challenged somehow. Right now, there is no challenge what-so-ever and the mechanics associated with that are making the game poo poo for powers as far away as Europe.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

oddium posted:

apparently they didn't flag the new achievements to require No Custom Nations. so for the greek one you can give yourself all the provinces and form greece, or for the dithmarschen one you can custom nation denmark out of the game and free Holland too

People really shouldn't do this, they're both great examples of fun achievements! My Dithmarschen run had several close calls, as I stuck to the mainland through the whole thing. Combined with the inability to ally anyone worth a drat, it was actually enjoyable and in no way a slog.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah i had done the dithmarschen requirements one patch before and dithmarschen is one of my top 3 favorite starts now. good trade income, good ideas, gets plutocratic which rules for the position they're​ in. cool flag and color too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But I need my sweet cheevos, to improve my Steam gamerscore

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Caustic Soda posted:

I'm not trying to railroad Ming to inevitable destruction here, the hope is to make it so there's more than one possible outcome for that part of the world, because right now in the absence of a concerted effort by the player Ming will always, 100% of the time, pass all the reforms by 1600, keep all its tributaries forever, and remain the strongest nation in the game. France can be killed by England and its continental neighbors, or expand into Iberia, the Low Countries, Italy, Britain and become a true superpower, or anything in between. Ottomans can hugely outdo reality by seizing the Russian steppe and conquering well down to east Africa and Iran, or they can hit the decadence disaster early and get pushed clean out of the Balkans or Persia, or anything in between. Russia likewise can become a behemoth eating all of Lithuania and Sweden and expanding into the Caucasus and even Anatolia, or it can be squashed by Commonwealth, Ottomans, or even both. I don't see why you mention Timurids since they are practically synonymous with collapse and actually are another deeply lame nation, I wish there were half a chance for the AI to use them to form Mughals but that's its own problem.

The key point here is variety. It isn't wrong for the Ming to be reasonably stable and strong throughout the game for one playthrough, but when this is the case for every playthrough it is simply boring. Also, some of this stuff would just make great historical flavor. The Tumu Crisis takes place five years into the game and is one of the most memorable events in all of Ming history, but the game doesn't do anything to represent it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wish Quality added Naval Tradition in addition to Army Tradition. It is already a pseudo naval group anyway and there are such few ways to get Naval Tradition.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 20, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I feel like one of the solutions for Ming (and early game mega blobbing in general) should be adapting Administrative Efficiency(?) so that it give some sort of mass autonomy penalty if your dev is outstripping your tech level.

Like, at tech 3 or whatever most countries start with:
100 dev gives you a 5% autonomy floor
200 dev is 10%
300 dev is 20%
400 is 40%
500 is 60%

or ~something~ like that, the numbers I picked being totally arbitrary.

Admin tech and monarch admin skill being used to bring this down over time, so that late game would be largely penalty free. Your early game feudal country should not be managing half of Asia/America/Europe at the current 100% efficiency. As much as it would piss off some players, there needs to be some sort of diminishing returns for being a GIGANTIC BLOB, and Ming is a poster child of this need.

I also think it would help strengthen smaller, richer countries, help 'playing tall', etc etc.

EDIT: I also think there should be an autonomy floor based off distance from capital/terrain in some manner, but I'm kinda a jerk, and would rather see the late game about strategically controlling colonial nations, protectorates, and key trade provinces instead of being a world spanning mega state.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 20, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

my man i think you just reinvented states

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

all the provinces far enough away from my capital to be theoretically affected by autonomy are probably territories with 75% autonomy because i hit the state cap

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
A ton of mods do the "dynamic autonomy as a punishment for being bigger" and it is not fun in any of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

But Ming was horribly crippled by disasters and bad leadership historically? "Ming" was a formation, not a naturally occurring nation-state.

Ming in the 15th century wasn't anything like as unified as China today, but the days of a unified China being an anomaly had passed by about a thousand years. There was a cultural and philosophical identity that united the region, extended to its neighbors, and made eventual unification the expectation of basically every power that arose there. It wasn't an arbitrary formation made possible only by historical circumstance like the Mughals or Ottomans, "China" was a solidly ingrained concept. I'd like to see some variety there too but the current situation makes a hell of a lot more historical sense than Mingsplosion happening in more than like 5% of games, and also makes playing on their periphery (in East Asia) way more unique.

Also the narrative this thread has that the Ming administration was woefully incompetent is a bit odd, they had ups and they had downs just like everyone else, it's just that the downs are more memorable because they generally involved tens of millions of people dying.

I totally agree with you about the other stuff you said though, there really should be more drawbacks and problems they have to fight. The autonomy floor was dumb but Ming is a unique enough case that them getting some unique disasters makes sense, and I think it wouldn't even have to feel like so much of a punishment if getting mandate was genuinely difficult- that way you could get a mandate bonus for doing the disaster/ bad event right, which'd feel rewarding.

THE BAR posted:

People really shouldn't do this, they're both great examples of fun achievements! My Dithmarschen run had several close calls, as I stuck to the mainland through the whole thing. Combined with the inability to ally anyone worth a drat, it was actually enjoyable and in no way a slog.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hotfix-1-22-1-is-now-live-checksum-3d00-not-for-problem-reports.1031060/

hotfix is out, it was one of the things they fixed

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 20, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Caustic Soda posted:

The tributary range limit seems like it's something that should have been implemented in the first or second patch after Mandate as a band-aid. Its long absence is so damning that we should expect more.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

What's the cost of Siberian Frontiers now?

RIP American Frontiers. :patriot:

EDIT: 200 points, apparently.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 20, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

A ton of mods do the "dynamic autonomy as a punishment for being bigger" and it is not fun in any of them.

I don't know about that. I mean what Fintilgin describes is pretty much exactly how Administrative Efficiency (I think it was called that anyway) worked in Magna Mundi for EU3, except that Autonomy didn't exist at the time so I think it was all done by province modifiers or something. It may not have been loads of fun, but it at least worked to stop large countries from being ultrastable behemoths.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fintilgin posted:

What's the cost of Siberian Frontiers now?

RIP American Frontiers. :patriot:

EDIT: 200 points, apparently.

Killjoys. Just because you made a situationally broken Idea, doesn't mean you have to give it a ridiculous cost. Let people have fun.

EDIT: And I can't seem to revert to the fun, broken version. Great.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 20, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
So the AI still gets a malus to accepting alliances if they're at or over their limit, but at least it's not unreasonable now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Killjoys. Just because you made a situationally broken Idea, doesn't mean you have to give it a ridiculous cost. Let people have fun.

EDIT: And I can't seem to revert to the fun, broken version. Great.

Idea costs can scale by location, I imagine it's far more expensive to pick it in America than it is anywhere else.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

- AI now only gets -20 acceptance per relation over limit for alliance and support independence actions.

I guess that's an okay compromise?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
- Fixed Tributary request spam

!!!!!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

- AI now only gets -20 acceptance per relation over limit for alliance and support independence actions.

I guess that's an okay compromise?

It's still not great because it doesn't address the robot-AI taking every diplo slot instantaneously for every nation BUT it at least gets closer to the dev intent without being brazenly unfun all the time. I don't love it but it's probably enough of a compromise to bite the bullet and update.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
Let's say I'm an idiot and over the course of several wars my armies have become a lovely array of random compositions. If my forcelimit is 40 and I have 33 infantry and would like to replace some of them with cavalry and artillery, is there a way to do that without disbanding units and eating through my manpower pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Having all of China be the same culture group is stupid, increasingly so since they stopped basing culture groups on language groups. Breaking all that up into chunks could help reign in their absurd finances a bit.

e:

Koramei posted:

Ming in the 15th century wasn't anything like as unified as China today, but the days of a unified China being an anomaly had passed by about a thousand years. There was a cultural and philosophical identity that united the region, extended to its neighbors, and made eventual unification the expectation of basically every power that arose there. It wasn't an arbitrary formation made possible only by historical circumstance like the Mughals or Ottomans, "China" was a solidly ingrained concept. I'd like to see some variety there too but the current situation makes a hell of a lot more historical sense than Mingsplosion happening in more than like 5% of games, and also makes playing on their periphery (in East Asia) way more unique.

Your views on Chinese history are strange in light of your Korean expertise, as the only entity that matches the unified China description besides the Mongols was the Tang, and even then there were smaller but still powerful "chinese" kingdoms that they didn't control.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread