Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

I'd like to see how a modern version of Casablanca would play out.

Sam would have a DJ desk and play a dubstep remix of 'As Time Goes By', Rick would be played by Zac Efron, and everyone is in their twenties to early thirties and they all look goddamn hot.

How do you have time to post when there are kids on your lawn that you could be yelling at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Rintaro's 2001 anime Metropolis, is it streaming on anything? I rented the dvd from the library 15 years ago and I'm curious to watch it again...

It's very Blade Runner.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the main actors in casablanca weren't incredibly attractive film stars, says a person who's loving stupid and should shut up about film forever

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snak posted:

Speaking of Rintaro's 2001 anime Metropolis, is it streaming on anything? I rented the dvd from the library 15 years ago and I'm curious to watch it again...

It's very Blade Runner.

It might still be on Crackle. I tried watching it a year or so ago on but their transfer was horrible and had to stop.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Snak posted:

It's very Blade Runner.

I know a blu-ray steelbook came out recently on amazon, I'd pick it up just because the animation would look way nicer. That and I'm an idiot for steelbooks.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 20, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

corn in the bible posted:

the main actors in casablanca weren't incredibly attractive film stars, says a person who's loving stupid and should shut up about film forever

Also LOL, Ingrid Bergman was 26 when she starred in that film.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

There is a modern version of Casablanca and it's called Foodfight!

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Green Room is a dece Casablanca

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

I know a blu-ray steelbook came out recently on amazon, I'd pick it up just because the animation would look way nicer. That and I'm an idiot for steelbooks.

Not recently enough. There is one being sold by a 3rd party for $75, which is too steep for me.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
yooooo Dennis Hopper's Out of the Blue is an insanely good movie that somehow has less than 1k watches on Letterboxd

I triple watched it tonight with Hannah and Her Sisters (holy poo poo) and Blowup (also, holy poo poo)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Overdrawn at the memory bank.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This but Barb Wire and it takes place in 2017

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

K. Waste posted:

Wait Until Dark is pretty wild. I like how it begins rather morbid, but the black comedy steadily escalates. Great double feature following Arsenic & Old Lace.

Wait Until Dark is sick, the last time I saw it it was over a bunch of greasy fried chicken with like ten people who hadn't seen it before and the last jump scare by Alan Arkin landed perfectly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Junior Jr. posted:

You keep forgetting to factor in millenials, they don't like to watch old-timey black and white movies anymore.

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaallllssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

I actually find that people my age are more willing to watch old films than people my parents age.

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait Until Dark is sick, the last time I saw it it was over a bunch of greasy fried chicken with like ten people who hadn't seen it before and the last jump scare by Alan Arkin landed perfectly.

I never thought Alan Arkin could be so terrifying until I saw that movie. Holy poo poo. Also, I believe Warner Archives put out a blu-ray for it recently.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

You keep forgetting to factor in millenials, they don't like to watch old-timey black and white movies anymore.

im 21 years young smh

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Guys, I think I need an intervention. I just watched Dreamcatcher again and I realized that I actually really like it. There are just so many baffling decisions and incredibly strange performances that it just works on some weird level.

I think Morgan Freeman's eyebrows perfectly illustrates why I like it. Look at this! Presumably there where loads of people involved with creating them and even more who had to sign off on it and they all went: yeah, this looks fine. And you can't look away. The whole movie is like this.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hedenius posted:

Guys, I think I need an intervention. I just watched Dreamcatcher again and I realized that I actually really like it. There are just so many baffling decisions and incredibly strange performances that it just works on some weird level.

I think Morgan Freeman's eyebrows perfectly illustrates why I like it. Look at this! Presumably there where loads of people involved with creating them and even more who had to sign off on it and they all went: yeah, this looks fine. And you can't look away. The whole movie is like this.

I like to think that this was Morgan Freeman's personal joke. He showed up on set like this and shushed people when they went "Uh".

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Hedenius posted:

Ok im def gonna watch this movie now

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
On Wednesday I'm spending all my money on a double feature of A Nightmare on Elm Street and the new documentary Blood and Steel:Cedar Crest Country Club. Blood and Steel will have a special panel of Steve Van Doren (son of creator of VANS shoes), Tony Alva, Christian Hosoi and Mike McGill. Plus the director.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Shoombo posted:

Green Room is a dece Casablanca

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"Tell it to someone who gives a poo poo."

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Should i read The Wealth of Nations before Das Kapital? (I shouldve went to school)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

plz dont pull out posted:

There's a superhero punch out on the airstrip at the end.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

If there's any movie that feels like it was only made possible because copious amounts of oxycontin it's Dreamcatcher.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What we need is a new The Blob, there was one in '58 and one in '88 and if we don't have one in '18 to keep up the blob streak I'm gonna lose my mind.

plz dont pull out posted:

Nice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

What we need is a new The Blob, there was one in '58 and one in '88 and if we don't have one in '18 to keep up the blob streak I'm gonna lose my mind.

I think they're hesitant to do a new The Blob because they couldn't think of a way to gently caress it up, yet.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Grendels Dad posted:

I think they're hesitant to do a new The Blob because they couldn't think of a way to gently caress it up, yet.

Is it possible to gently caress up The Blob? Also worst case scenario the end of Car Boys can count as a Blob remake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rob Zombie has been attached to a remake of The Blob for a while.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's a guaranteed double feature

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rob Zombie has been attached to a remake of The Blob for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZxrg9SZQs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Make it part of the Dark Universe saga.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Sam Jackson was attached to the remake earlier this year but I'm not sure if it has reached filming stage yet

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

What have I done?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like to pretend that Morgan Freeman borrowed R. Lee Ermey's eyebrows for that role.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Also Freeman plays Abraham Curtis in the film. And I was going to say something about how Ahab Kurtz would be to obvious but he was apparently Abraham Kurtz in the novel so they actually toned that down. Amazing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is it possible to gently caress up The Blob?

ruddiger posted:

And there you go!

Completely unrelated, I think: My elder son is crazy into Fireman Sam and as these things go I've had to think about it a lot. Fireman Sam takes place in Pontypandy, a highly inflammable hellhole populated by suicidal idiots who constantly need saving by Fireman Sam. I think it would work really well as a live-action movie, possibly with The Rock as Fireman Sam. The Rock starts the movie all smiling like he usually does, but the constant and relentless idiocy of the Pontypandians wears him down until he snaps and burns it all to the ground.

That's how I imagine the show ends anyway, there is just now way Fireman Sam can do this forever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Tom Cruise runs away from the Blob. The Blob chases him, leaving a trail of slime in his wake. You realize that slime must have come from somewhere. You realize that the Blob leaves a bit of itself behind whenever it goes. It keeps chasing Tom Cruise but Tom Cruise never stops running. He cannot die and can never get tired. The Blob keeps its relentless pursuit for days. When it finally catches up to Cruise, all that is left of it is a dollop of slime that eventually dries up in the sun. But Cruise never notices this, because he kept on running in search of the latest monster. His latest victim. So beware, Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman. Tom Cruise is running towards you and he cannot be killed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The MSJ posted:

So beware, Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywjPS3Fxrk0

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

And there you go!

Completely unrelated, I think: My elder son is crazy into Fireman Sam and as these things go I've had to think about it a lot. Fireman Sam takes place in Pontypandy, a highly inflammable hellhole populated by suicidal idiots who constantly need saving by Fireman Sam. I think it would work really well as a live-action movie, possibly with The Rock as Fireman Sam. The Rock starts the movie all smiling like he usually does, but the constant and relentless idiocy of the Pontypandians wears him down until he snaps and burns it all to the ground.

That's how I imagine the show ends anyway, there is just now way Fireman Sam can do this forever.

Mine too. :argh:
I've commented on FB before about how high fire insurance rates must be in Pontypandy, and how it's a wonder Norman Price isn't in juvie. I'd totally watch that if it ended with Sam (played by The Rock) murdering Norman, and the whole town agrees on a pact of silence.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Mummy (2017) is real bad. Even Annabelle Wallis couldn't make it tolerable.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Has anyone read Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism?? Cause this book opens talking about Children of Men and then leads into The Thing and needless to say it os extremely dope so far (like 10 pages in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, I can't imagine a new one not just being a retread of '88, pretty much. You kinda have to go gory with that concept, and '88 pretty much did all of the potential kills.

• Locked thread