Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Glumslinger posted:

I swear I saw something that if something like that happens in France, the older person wins

French election law mandates a recount and if the recount is a tie, then it goes to the older candidate.

In the U.S. ties are handled on a state-by-state basis. Almost every state determines ties through a coin toss or drawing of straws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Did he just call the new policy the highest form of humanitarianism for the Cuban people?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

disjoe posted:

Clean coal is the biggest god drat boondoggle and waste of government money.

Democrats were crucified for Solyndra. That was a lost $500 million investment.

The Kemper Project, the "future" of clean coal, has cost us over $7 billion so far without a single watt to show for it and no completion in sight.

But have you considered that real Americans like coal, and only effete liberals like renewable energy?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Piell posted:

Spicer doesn't know

Honestly you can just stop here. He doesn't know anything. His job depends on it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

And if he wins, it means the Democrats are finally back on track so I also don't need to do anything either! It's great to be a Democrat.

Don't worry, the people who think that will keep thinking that win or lose. :v:

disjoe posted:

Clean coal is the biggest god drat boondoggle and waste of government money.

Democrats were crucified for Solyndra. That was a lost $500 million investment.

The Kemper Project, the "future" of clean coal, has cost us over $7 billion so far without a single watt to show for it and no completion in sight.

Yeah but clean coal also requires a bunch more coal per MWh so you end up needing to mine more coal. Then you add in the fact that clean coal means you can burn dirty coal again (the insane cost of the clean coal equipment dwarfs traditional scrubbers etc) so you can reopen a bunch of dirty mines that got shut down when the sulfur rules went into effect. More coal and cheaper dirtier coal too! It is win-win!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Article doesn't seem to say, but who dud Trump call in a favor from on this?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The Glumslinger posted:

What happens if they have an actual, for realsies, multiply recounted and confirmed tie? Do we just implode?

handel asserts he position as queen of your friends parents you don't like and declares victory because she is older than ossoff

then we riot

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

Article doesn't seem to say, but who dud Trump call in a favor from on this?

Was this the plan all along, voting on a sanction bill they know will trigger this issue to try and make the Republicans look tough on Russia?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Good news!

Remember when Trump was elected and Ford announced that they were cancelling their plans to build new factories in Mexico? Trump already made an impact before he was even sworn in.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2017/06/20/ford-import-focus-china/411600001/

quote:

Ford to import Focus from China instead of Mexico

Ford, which was under fire for much of 2016 for its plans to build the Focus in Mexico, said today it is shifting gears a second time and will instead import most of its next generation Focus cars from China in a move designed to improve the automaker's "operational fitness."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Prism posted:

Honestly you can just stop here. He doesn't know anything. His job depends on it.

Plausible deniability is a pretty useful tool in a press secretary's arsenal but you need an able hand to use it properly. Spicey's hilarious because he has the shakiest hands ever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fuschia tude posted:

The conservative estimate from the CBO was that 23 million Americans would lose health coverage over the next decade. These are mostly Medicaid recipients, the neediest in the country. You expect removing their access to health care will not cause even 9% more deaths than otherwise would have occurred had this population remained insured?

The statistical estimates are between ten and forty thousand additional deaths annually.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/877234140483121152

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

efb

quote:

While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!

Does this mean he's going to attack North Korea?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Welp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Its not me China, its you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EngineerJoe posted:

efb

no, he's just throwing china under the bus for no real reason other than to get people agreeing he's the bestest big boy president ever

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

efb

I think it's a subtle dig at Obama.

As in "Unlike the last administration, China tried."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How hard would it be to hack Trump's twitter? I imagine he's saving the "I was hacked" defense for when he says something really bad.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Aves Maria! posted:

Ok cool, it's hard to tell who is serious about "Dems will lose everything forever!" nowadays

Oh, don't get me wrong, Dems will lose everything forever, death of democracy etc, but not because Ossof.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Can we convince Trump the beating of Rodney King just happened and have him tweet out support for the officers that were also subject to a political witch hunt?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm so utterly conflicted with regards to NK. That regime having a nuclear weapon with an ICBM miniaturization capability is so incredibly destabilizing to the most potent region in the world where there are no good options. If the regime collapses, which it inevitably will, no telling what happens. With the weapon, they cannot be touched.

They show no signs of stopping nor is there any reason for them too and we have the biggest loving idiot in global politics in charge.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 20, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aves Maria! posted:

It's the Arzying version of the "1000 years of liberal darkness" that people on the forums were unironically yapping about after 06/08. Turns out that one or two election cycles does not determine how voters are going to vote even two years in the future, but I guess we should read really deeply into this election bc it confirms our brokebrain doomsaying.

e:

Ok cool, it's hard to tell who is serious about "Dems will lose everything forever!" nowadays

What about "Dems are going to win but not nearly enough to undo the evil that Trump's regime is going to carry out."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mcmagic posted:

What about "Dems are going to win but not nearly enough to undo the evil that Trump's regime is going to carry out."

That's a relatively sane opinion and something I've been worried about, too, yeah.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

I'm so utterly conflicted with regards to NK. That regime having a nuclear weapon with an ICBM miniaturization capability is so incredibly destabilizing to the most potent region in the world where there are no good options. If the regime collapses, which it inevitably will, no telling what happens. With the weapon, they cannot be touched.

They show no signs of stopping, and we have the biggest loving idiot in global politics in charge. That said, Mattis is increasingly in charge of all things DoD and say what you want, that man loves the military and would not actively harm it.

If the NK regime collapses, i can honestly imagine many nations offering massive relief/aid in exchange for the warheads. I'm hopeful.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

business hammocks posted:

How hard would it be to hack Trump's twitter? I imagine he's saving the "I was hacked" defense for when he says something really bad.

There's no way Trump actually uses a complex password. It's probably something like:

notaloser6969

#magapotus

iheartivanka

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Boon posted:

They show no signs of stopping, and we have the biggest loving idiot in global politics in charge. That said, Mattis is increasingly in charge of all things DoD and say what you want, that man loves the military and would not actively harm it.

NK is basically doing it's own thing. They sabre rattle every few years when they want some aid, we give them money, and they continue.

Nobody really wants to do anything about them because it's a desperately poor country and giving them cash is infinitely cheaper than dealing with the fallout of an actual collapse. They're the junky cousin we pay off so they go away.

Trump, of course, is an idiot and will gently caress this up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chilichimp posted:

I was careful to specify congressional.

There's lots of congresses :colbert:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The dumb thing is that you know he thinks he is being magnanimous. He doesn't realize he just personally called out a head of state for failing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah sure, there will be a global relief effort organized by the UN, but if the regime falls those warheads are only going to be secured by special forces or destroyed at range.

I'm not sure what you think a regime collapse would look like, but it's not going to be orderly.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

There's no way Trump actually uses a complex password. It's probably something like:

notaloser6969

#magapotus

iheartivanka

its 'DonaldTrump'

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

There's lots of congresses :colbert:

Yeah? Well a lot of people go to congress for seven years. :colbert:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

NK is basically doing it's own thing. They sabre rattle every few years when they want some aid, we give them money, and they continue.

Nobody really wants to do anything about them because it's a desperately poor country and giving them cash is infinitely cheaper than dealing with the fallout of an actual collapse. They're the junky cousin we pay off so they go away.

Trump, of course, is an idiot and will gently caress this up.

NK exists only because they've held a gun to the head of Seoul and the US didn't want to risk engagement with China again. That gets jacked up by multiple orders of magnitude once NK is able to drop nukes within the region. The US and China will quickly reach a point in the next two years where they will have to decide whether they will work together in disarming NK, probably forcibly, or not.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

There Bias Two posted:

notaloser6969

#magapotus

iheartivanka

if it was easy to hack it somebody would have done it by now. that thing's practically a strategic national asset at this point.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

business hammocks posted:

How hard would it be to hack Chimp's twitter? I imagine he's saving the "I was hacked" defense for when he says something really bad.

I have a feeling that Trump's Twitter password would be kind of like President Skroob's luggage combination - something really easy to figure out like 'password123'.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

:siren::siren::siren:

nabisco has retained a lawyer for their rascal elf

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/877237204619341826

:siren::siren::siren:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Another interesting question: If the tweets are considered official statements, does attempting to log into his account constitute some major crime to compromise Federal communication systems?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

There Bias Two posted:

Another interesting question: If the tweets are considered official statements, does attempting to log into his account constitute some major crime to compromise Federal communication systems?

If someone actually does hack his twitter and get caught, they will almost certainly throw every single law that could feasibly apply to it

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Yeah sure, there will be a global relief effort organized by the UN, but if the regime falls those warheads are only going to be secured by special forces or destroyed at range.

I'm not sure what you think a regime collapse would look like, but it's not going to be orderly.

No, but here's hoping that the carrot outweighs the stick in that instance. There are possibly some NK military brass who will know what the enormous exchange rate on nukes would be. Orderly, no. If the offer of national aid does not fly, a few people could get very wealthy very quickly.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

i dunno, can you prove malice or say, a typo?

sorry sir i meant to type donaldjfucko in the username and it just came out trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

What if the hacker just runs gob's program?

• Locked thread