Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cathab posted:

I'm about to hit CP160 this evening, and have some more dumb questions for you poor goons who have already had to put up with plenty of my dumb questions so far (thanks for that).

I've been limping by with training gear, paying basically no mind whatsoever to equipment up until now. About all I know is that as a Magplar, I want to be wearing 5 pieces of light armor for the various bonuses that gives me, however apart from that I don't really know what gear to 'shoot for' now that I've hit the gear cap. I've heard people suggesting that you should wear 5 pieces of light armor, 1 piece of medium, and 1 piece of heavy, however I don't really understand why. I know there's tons of sets out there that give you all kinds of bonuses, so I'm assuming that's what I'm going to be aiming for, but I don't know what sets exist and where the pieces drop or anything like that. How do I find this info out?

Also, up until now I've basically been grinding Dolmens, doing daily random dungeons for bonus exp, and I think I've mostly completed the main story line (questing doesn't really interest me that much tbh). Once I've hit the gear cap, what other kinds of stuff should I be doing? I know of Trials, but I don't really know how to do them or how to get involved in them etc as they don't appear in the dungeon finder afaik. And apart from PVP (which I'd like to do once I have some good gear), what other 'stuff' is there to do that isn't grinding exp or questing for exp? Basically, once you guys have hit CP160, what sort of stuff do you do when you log on of an evening?

But yeah, if there are any good guides that are focused on what to do once you hit the endgame, or post-CP160 gear guides etc I'd be interested to read them. I feel like I've only seen/done like 10% of what this game has to offer, and have been basically hyper-focused on getting to the gear cap and am wanting to learn more about the game at large now that the level grind is out of the way.

Thanks
In addition to Rollersnake's advice, don't forget to get people in guild to make stuff for you instead of trying to buy it outright from guild traders. The raw materials to make the sets will cost you about 1/4-1/3 of what the actual pieces themselves sell for and it doesn't cost us anything other than time to put them together if you can provide the base materials, plus you get to choose the style of the armour this way.

For build guides, Alcast has some good guides that include what gear sets he uses but you need to remember that his stuff is all hyper optimised for endgame vet content and you'll probably want to make some alterations if you're using the builds out doing solo stuff since they don't normally have much in the way of self healing in them.

Endgame content wise you'll probably want to start joining in on the Undaunted pledge runs that people do since the dungeons have special 'Monster' sets that consist of a Helmet (that drops in veteran dungeons) and a Shoulderpiece (which come from the chests that you unlock with the keys you get from doing the Undaunted pledge daily quests) that have very powerful bonuses from just the two pieces. The monster sets are also the reason you'll see a lot of people recommending you split your gear sets so that head/shoulders are part of one set with your weapons and the other 5 pieces are the other set. Once you've got a basic set of gear sorted you might also want to start looking into Maelstrom Arena and the trials you mentioned previously.

e: going to quote Rollersnake's post so it doesn't get lost since it was the last post on the previous page:

Rollersnake posted:

This is only relevant once you have the Undaunted Mettle passive, which gives you a % bonus to max magicka, stamina, and health if you're wearing all three different types of armor. Until then, I'd do 5 light/2 heavy if you're DPS or 5 heavy/2 light if you're tanking.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets

Honestly I had a lot of fun shopping around for and collecting armor sets, so I'd recommend picking what appeals to you most based on the perks/your play style and going with that.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Aight. Im jumping into this shitshow. Do I need Morrowing straight out of the gate?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Aight. Im jumping into this shitshow. Do I need Morrowing straight out of the gate?

The basic game is the same with or without Morrowind, but it ads a new tutorial & beginning area and a new playable class (Warden).

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
What time zone are you in? I'm on right now and would totally hook you up with a new set to get you running.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Mercurius posted:

In addition to Rollersnake's advice, don't forget to get people in guild to make stuff for you instead of trying to buy it outright from guild traders. The raw materials to make the sets will cost you about 1/4-1/3 of what the actual pieces themselves sell for and it doesn't cost us anything other than time to put them together if you can provide the base materials, plus you get to choose the style of the armour this way.

For build guides, Alcast has some good guides that include what gear sets he uses but you need to remember that his stuff is all hyper optimised for endgame vet content and you'll probably want to make some alterations if you're using the builds out doing solo stuff since they don't normally have much in the way of self healing in them.

Endgame content wise you'll probably want to start joining in on the Undaunted pledge runs that people do since the dungeons have special 'Monster' sets that consist of a Helmet (that drops in veteran dungeons) and a Shoulderpiece (which come from the chests that you unlock with the keys you get from doing the Undaunted pledge daily quests) that have very powerful bonuses from just the two pieces. The monster sets are also the reason you'll see a lot of people recommending you split your gear sets so that head/shoulders are part of one set with your weapons and the other 5 pieces are the other set. Once you've got a basic set of gear sorted you might also want to start looking into Maelstrom Arena and the trials you mentioned previously.

e: going to quote Rollersnake's post so it doesn't get lost since it was the last post on the previous page:

Awesome stuff, thanks very much. So essentially, I'm going to be aiming for whichever two piece monster set appeals to me, and then a five piece crafted set in addition to that? Am I on the right track? If so, what's the virtue of doing Trials etc after that's all taken care of? I mean, if I do a Trial and get a really kickass piece of armor that drops, if I equip that that will mess up the set(s) that I already have and I'll probably lose out in the long run? Sorry if that sounds confusing.

And yeah I've heard of Maelstrom Arena (but forgot what it was called). I'll look into doing that now. Thanks.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Something I'd mention regarding Morrowind is that the area has some pretty great stories but they're all delivered through long and involved chains (similar to Wrothgar from the Orsinium DLC) and it's not actually great for experience. Because the exp gain is fairly slow the early game can be a bit frustrating if you're only doing Morrowind stuff on a new character since you're lacking a lot of your skills/morphs and encounters with 3+ enemies or the harder enemies can be quite unforgiving.

The 'Main Story' quests from the original game are pretty silly and hammy compared to the rest of the game but I quite like the alliance/zone stories along with the Fighters and Mages guild questlines. I personally think as someone brand new to the game you're actually probably best off doing the main story, fighters/mages guild and alliance questline alongside each other (the guild quests move onto the next zone so you'll know when you need to work on the alliance quests) since it'll introduce you to the supporting cast of recurring characters who pop up again in all the DLCs (and if you're Ebonheart Pact you'll run into a character who is fairly prominent in the Vvardenfell quests in Morrowind). I suppose it depends if you care about having a coherent overarching narrative or whether you're happy to experience the story of the new zone without worrying about how it's connected to the rest of the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DJ Dizzy posted:

A few questions: How poopsocky is raiding in this game? Will I be required to relentlessly minmax everything?

Can I just log on for a few hours a week, do some challenging dungeons, get some gear, shoot some poo poo?

the hardcore VETERAN DUNGEONS will require a lot of minmaxing but you could just, like, not do those? fortunately you can do the non-vet versions of everything if you just wanna see all the quests and stuff

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Sorry for all these newbie questions :shobon:

Is it possible to do a DPS DK, or is it more or less strictly limited to backstabbers and booknerds?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cathab posted:

Awesome stuff, thanks very much. So essentially, I'm going to be aiming for whichever two piece monster set appeals to me, and then a five piece crafted set in addition to that? Am I on the right track? If so, what's the virtue of doing Trials etc after that's all taken care of? I mean, if I do a Trial and get a really kickass piece of armor that drops, if I equip that that will mess up the set(s) that I already have and I'll probably lose out in the long run? Sorry if that sounds confusing.

And yeah I've heard of Maelstrom Arena (but forgot what it was called). I'll look into doing that now. Thanks.
In a lot of cases the set bonuses from the Trials are better optimised (for running said Trials in particular) than the crafted sets or the monster sets from dungeons. Likewise, the special weapons from veteran maelstrom arena (if the RNG gods smile on you and give you one that's sharpened) tend to be better than the extra benefit you'd get from another piece of the set bonus so they're used instead.

Gear progression basically starts you out with a combination of crafted gear and willpower/agility jewellery (giving you a 5 piece armour set, 3 piece armour/weapon set, 3 piece jewellery set) to give you a solid baseline before moving on to some of the monster sets with sets from dungeons (which include jewellery so you can do splits of two 5 piece sets and the monster set if you're dual wielding) and ending up with maelstrom/master weapons combined with two lots of 5 piece sets from trials. Gearing is heavily dependent on the RNG being nice to you (hence the thread title) and giving you the drops you want with the traits you're after such as Divines on armour or Sharpened on weapons for most DPS builds. Once you actually get the drops you want you'll probably want to upgrade them to Legendary quality using Woodworking/Blacksmithing/Clothing so you'll likely need to work on crafting a bit, too.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sorry for all these newbie questions :shobon:

Is it possible to do a DPS DK, or is it more or less strictly limited to backstabbers and booknerds?
You're in luck as DKs are good at both stamina and magicka based DPS. They're both heavily focused towards Damage over Time spells with Stamina DKs being themed around poison and Magicka around fire.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 19, 2017

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Mercurius posted:

In a lot of cases the set bonuses from the Trials are better optimised (for running said Trials in particular) than the crafted sets or the monster sets from dungeons. Likewise, the special weapons from veteran maelstrom arena (if the RNG gods smile on you and give you one that's sharpened) tend to be better than the extra benefit you'd get from another piece of the set bonus so they're used instead.

Gear progression basically starts you out with a combination of crafted gear and willpower/agility jewellery (giving you a 5 piece armour set, 3 piece armour/weapon set, 3 piece jewellery set) to give you a solid baseline before moving on to some of the monster sets with sets from dungeons (which include jewellery so you can do splits of two 5 piece sets and the monster set if you're dual wielding) and ending up with maelstrom/master weapons combined with two lots of 5 piece sets from trials. Gearing is heavily dependent on the RNG being nice to you (hence the thread title) and giving you the drops you want with the traits you're after such as Divines on armour or Sharpened on weapons for most DPS builds. Once you actually get the drops you want you'll probably want to upgrade them to Legendary quality using Woodworking/Blacksmithing/Clothing so you'll likely need to work on crafting a bit, too.

Great, thanks. So basically, it sounds like it's relatively easy to come across the set pieces themselves (for the set bonuses), however finding them with the right trait (Which as a PVE-focused DPS, I would want Sharpened for my weapons and Divines for my armor?) is the tricky part.

So after some googling, apparently what I should be aiming for is the two piece Grothdarr set, as well as a 5 piece Burning Spellweave set...?

And apparently, to get the Grothdarr stuff, one piece can only be obtained by opening the Redbeard chest with one of my pledge keys, and the other piece can only be obtained by killing the final boss in the Vaults of Madness on Veteran mode? (So, basically, I have 7 keys right now, and in order to get what I want I should just basically open the Redbeard chest seven times over and hope that the one Grothdarr item that I want comes out of it?)

With the Burning Spellweave set... is that craftable? Or do I need to complete a particular dungeon over and over for each of the pieces? And that only takes care of the armor pieces. Do weapons factor into sets as well? Or are they something else entirely? Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm just trying to formulate a bit of a game plan as to what to do from here to get geared up respectably.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cathab posted:

Great, thanks. So basically, it sounds like it's relatively easy to come across the set pieces themselves (for the set bonuses), however finding them with the right trait (Which as a PVE-focused DPS, I would want Sharpened for my weapons and Divines for my armor?) is the tricky part.

So after some googling, apparently what I should be aiming for is the two piece Grothdarr set, as well as a 5 piece Burning Spellweave set...?

And apparently, to get the Grothdarr stuff, one piece can only be obtained by opening the Redbeard chest with one of my pledge keys, and the other piece can only be obtained by killing the final boss in the Vaults of Madness on Veteran mode? (So, basically, I have 7 keys right now, and in order to get what I want I should just basically open the Redbeard chest seven times over and hope that the one Grothdarr item that I want comes out of it?)

With the Burning Spellweave set... is that craftable? Or do I need to complete a particular dungeon over and over for each of the pieces? And that only takes care of the armor pieces. Do weapons factor into sets as well? Or are they something else entirely? Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm just trying to formulate a bit of a game plan as to what to do from here to get geared up respectably.
Yeah, basically that. RNG forever. Getting the drops isn't bad but having them optimised with the stuff you want is pure RNG. I'm honestly not super familiar with the actually end-game gearing options outside of stamsorc (since that's all I've done in that sort of content thus far), someone like Scy would be better to provide you advice on that.

And yeah, just open the undaunted chests repeatedly and you'll get a purple shoulderpiece of random armour weight drawn from a pool of possible drops. More RNG!

Burning Spellweave pieces are drops from City of Ash, IIRC (maybe from COAII?). Dungeon sets normally include weapons and jewellery as well as armour pieces so there's a lot more flexibility in gearing up.

e: yeah, Burning Spellweave is from City of Ash: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Burning+Spellweave+Set
  • Dungeon bosses and mini bosses will now drop a set piece 100% of the time.
  • Mini bosses will drop either a hand, waist, or feet set piece.
  • Bosses will drop either a chest, shoulder, head or leg set piece.
  • The final Boss of a dungeon will drop weapons or jewelry.
  • Normal mode dungeon bosses will drop blue-quality items.
  • Veteran mode dungeon bosses will drop purple-quality items.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 19, 2017

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Scyantific posted:

So uh, I made an unkillable Lizardplar for Cyrodiil.

I am able to tank anything short of a full raid, and even that is possible with some good support.

I want to know more.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How are DK's at tanking?

I was debating going as a tank with my Templar but I love really DPS'ing with him and will probably stick with that as his primary role, but I want to dabble a little bit in tanking for pubbies...

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Depending on who you ask, DK's are the only tank. My main is a Temp tank and I love him so, give it a try if you want.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Airspace posted:

I want to know more.

I'll post it when I get home, but basically it's running one of the new sets from Battlegrounds that essentially turns it into a walking brick wall. The other night I managed to tank an entire raid simply by juking, healing, and dropping the Sword and Board ultimate to get some essential blocking in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Welp... looks like they might have broken the Vivec questline in the patch today, wonder if that is why the maintenance again tomorrow?

Divine Intervention - Galom Daeus - When you get the control rod, it still says you need it, and when you then manage to get it to work to get the component, the quest never updates. Dropping the quest and restarting gives the same result.

Thread exists in the bug report section of the official forums, with no response from dev.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That would explain the extra maintenance tomorrow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Scyantific posted:

That would explain the extra maintenance tomorrow.

Hopefully.

Other goons reporting in chat that they are having the same problem, but at different points in the questline, so it's apparently not just that one spot that is broken.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The daily poo poo has been a bit off too like needing to loot poo poo twice before it counted.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Morglon posted:

The daily poo poo has been a bit off too like needing to loot poo poo twice before it counted.

On the 'hunt' dailies I have been having to search the area after killing the target until I find a 2nd corpse with a quest marker on it. Looting / examining that 2nd corpse will trigger the quest completion rather than the corpse of the one I actually killed. Pretty strange.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Here is a Dev post on the broken quests:

quote:

Hi everyone,

As some of you have reported, after today's PC/Mac incremental patch it is not possible to complete certain quests. We will be pushing a hotfix for this tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM EDT that will require a few hours of downtime. We are reverting the fix for the "A Cold Wind From the Mountain" quest as part of this hotfix. If you currently have a quest that you cannot complete due to this issue, you will need to abandon the quest and pick it back up after the hotfix is live.

We will post our usual hotfix messaging, forum banner, and login screen announcement to let everyone know about the hotfix maintenance. Thank you for your patience!

Will be interesting to see how far back up the line I get sent when I abandon this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Since the Vivec line was broken I decided to start the original main quest-line, so went to see the 'benefactor'. That transition from the Morrowind to the original tutorial escaping cold harbor prison and rescuing the prophet is incredibly well done, I was expecting to just pick up the line after the prison. Going through the prison break with all my gear was a surprise!

Pretty much a free skill point though, and now I should be able to blast through the first few chapters of the original main quest line pretty fast.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Is there a goon guild on PS4? Games like these are boring on console because it is such a PITA to chat.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

I finally saved up enough gold for the Rawl'kha house, now to save up enough gold keep murderstealing my way through Orisinium to furnish it! :sterv:

New homeowner questions:
  • Is there a way to move (not just rotate) the furnishings with the keyboard? I can already tell that properly aligning sconces and banners is going to send me into twitchy fits.
  • Any goons craft furniture? I'm mostly looking for Redguard awnings and Khajiit blue/purple suite stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

count_von_count posted:

I finally saved up enough gold for the Rawl'kha house, now to save up enough gold keep murderstealing my way through Orisinium to furnish it! :sterv:

New homeowner questions:
  • Is there a way to move (not just rotate) the furnishings with the keyboard? I can already tell that properly aligning sconces and banners is going to send me into twitchy fits.
  • Any goons craft furniture? I'm mostly looking for Redguard awnings and Khajiit blue/purple suite stuff.

Are you on PC? Send me a pm in game and I can see if I have the recipes. If I do I would just need crafting items or gold equivalent. :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there really any mechanical benefit to owning player housing or is it just a moneysink? Tamrielic Interior Design Simulator 2017?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Actual mechanical benefits are mostly limited to (attunable) crafting stations and target dummies you can obtain, otherwise it's Tamrielic Interior Design Simulator 2017.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

There's a few that are good as free-anytime wayshrines (like the apartment in Mournhold, Deshaan which is cheap and right next to writ boards, crafting stations, and short walk to Undaunted enclave) but if you don't want to play homemaker a lot of goons have open to public houses with all the other amenities you can take advantage of.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Are you on PC? Send me a pm in game and I can see if I have the recipes. If I do I would just need crafting items or gold equivalent. :)

Cool, I'll hit you up when I've banked a bit more gold/mats. Thanks!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I managed to do Cold Wind from the Mountain on the one day they fixed it. :smaug:

I wonder what the interaction is between that quest and the morrowind quest that means fixing one breaks the other, though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It wasn't just the hunt quests, I mostly noticed it on Gold Coast stuff where I had to loot the corpses twice for the things to count on both non arena quests.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

count_von_count posted:

Any goons craft furniture? I'm mostly looking for Redguard awnings and Khajiit blue/purple suite stuff.

If you're on PC, I can craft an extraordinary amount of furnishings.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Ditto.

Rugs are my favourite to make, but I was making dressers for someone in zone chat the other day.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
Could I get a guild invite? NA PC Ebonheart Pact

@pabraham

- Got the invite, thanks.

Invader Zym fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 21, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Could also use a guild invite to the Ebonheart Pact group, currently in Jute Suit Riot & Daggerfall Goons only. @Coldforge

Thanks!

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 21, 2017

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah I can make tons of furniture too but apparently not the not empty bookcases so I'm looking for someone to craft me a pair of those.

Stupendous Man
Jan 10, 2008
Defender of Freedom! Advocate of Liberty!
Can I get an invite to the Ebonhart Pact goon guild? PC.

@JangoJunkie

Got the invite. Thanks!

Stupendous Man fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 22, 2017

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I will also take an invite to the Ebonheart Pact guild on NA PC, @Lucientes.

Awesome, thanks!

Airspace fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 21, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok i'm going to install this game shortly (It's 150 gigs to install at first because it's 75 gigs download, 87 gigs install but i need the space free after download to install!!!)

which means, I need to finish mass effect andromeda then install it. I read the whole starting topic but I'm a little confused on one aspect,

Can any race be ebonhart pact?

ALso what's the flavor build at the moment that wins PVE for chill to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok i'm going to install this game shortly (It's 150 gigs to install at first because it's 75 gigs download, 87 gigs install but i need the space free after download to install!!!)

which means, I need to finish mass effect andromeda then install it. I read the whole starting topic but I'm a little confused on one aspect,

Can any race be ebonhart pact?

ALso what's the flavor build at the moment that wins PVE for chill to win?

You can pay :10bux: (maybe 15) for the any race/any alliance package, called the Adventurer's Package.

stamina sorcerers is one of my favorite builds, pump out 25k single-target dps (this is a highend but not BiS geared sorc, plus BiS depends on what you're doing) and don't die to anything unless it one-shots you because you heal like a beast, but you will be pushing a lot of buttons. Magicka sorcerers are big dick damage dealers right now, but other (magicka) classes aren't too far behind (I think?), unsure how much button pushing you have to do, I'm sure it's still a lot to top charts.

I have tried other classes as stamina builds and nothing compared to stamsorc.