Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I like richard nixon's twitter and I can't really explain why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

My theory is that Freddie DeBoer wants to be Peter from Ender's Game

Wasn't he the one who basically saved the universe by anonymous blogging?

I haven't read any Card in like 20 years but that's how I remember it.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

yeah he took over the world via livejournal or some poo poo

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
it was USENET u rubes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

racism is rooted in "gently caress you, get away from my poo poo" tribal aggression and resource/territory competition

so while people who say that it's "economic anxiety" aren't technically wrong, they aren't digging deep enough in the motivations
it's a problem that only gets worse when you advocate for and promote inbreeding among the richer and more influential whites causing more mental and physical defects among them, and economic suppression, malformed education, and easy scapegoats keeps the poors in line

anglo-saxon ersatz-monarchy is writing itself out of existence in favor of german-chinese corporatist pragmatism and I love it :yeah:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

mostly because until they installed a tankie as mod there were no mods that disagreed with him which is pretty telling about the state of D&D

tankies...good?

tbf he'd been banned like ten times or something like that, the tankie was just the first one to realize it wasn't having any effect

SKULL.GIF posted:

deboer isn't even remotely a demagogue

he's a critic and will remain a critic for the rest of his life

fine then, Valentine from Ender's Game, I can never keep track which of them did which blog

docbeard posted:

The main kid's siblings blogged anonymously as The Populist Firebrand and The Reasonable Wise Man With All The Right Takes until eventually one of them was elected president of Earth

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

docbeard posted:

The 2020 Democratic Primary: Literally Every Democrat Is Running (Except Hillary)

*narrator voice*

She's running.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Holder was pretty awesome at defending encroachments on civil rights, but I think civil rights is now called identity politics and bad

It's a subtle distinction, but identity politics just mimic's and eventually undermines Civil Rights, like the Cuckoo bird does with other birds.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

holder is pretty much obama 2 in the problems are bad but their causes are very good

lightyears better than trump of course

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zegermans posted:

So it's coming down to the wire have we decided of Ossoff winning is good or bad yet?

Not that it matters hope is a lie and we're all going to die

Ossoff winning is bad, but Ossoff losing is even worse.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's a subtle distinction, but identity politics just mimic's and eventually undermines civil rights, like the Cuckoo bird.
identity politics is also racism and white supremacy

the effort since the reagan years to coopt civil rights rhetoric and conveniently rub out and erase the egalitarian and pro-labor aspect of it, letting the liberals that "matter" (rich) fall for it hook line and sinker when they were previously pro-labor is pretty hilarious

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol if holder runs everyone is going to slam him for letting the banks off the hook and it will be glorious

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol if holder runs everyone is going to slam him for letting the banks off the hook and it will be glorious

yeah, obama got away with it by being the most charismatic politician since jfk but that wont work for holder

of course the usual suspects will say criticizing holder for being cozy with banks is racist just like critizing hillary for it was sexist

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

deadgoon posted:

it was USENET u rubes

The best sci-fi take on USENET was in A Fire Upon The Deep, especially the really confused alien who thought that everything that was going on could be explained and made perfect sense if you just understood that humans had six legs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao i had no idea that orson scott card had done the "self-insert genius writer saves the universe because he's so smart" way before m night shyamalan, what a hack

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

lmao i had no idea that orson scott card had done the "self-insert genius writer saves the universe because he's so smart" way before m night shyamalan, what a hack

Ender's Game owned for so many reasons, just skip the epilogue.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ender's Game owned for so many reasons.

lol wrong

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
And no reason to read any of the other books either.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
peter didn't save the universe, he was just a ruthless genius-level sociopath

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Concerned Citizen posted:

they said the same about bernie sanders

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This is how @byyourlogic becomes president.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its sad that so many kids apparently fall into right-wing nutjobs like card or stephenson as their gateway scifi authors instead of the zillions of better authors with better politics like vonnegut or le guin

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shear Modulus posted:

its sad that so many kids apparently fall into card or stephenson as their gateway scifi authors instead of the zillions of better authors with better politics like vonnegut or le guin
mostly because the latter two tell things kids don't want to hear

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

he said "genius"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
you'd think at this point in stephenson's career he'd learn how to write an ending

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Tankie Mod is a good mod and a good poster, imo

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Shear Modulus posted:

its sad that so many kids apparently fall into card or stephenson as their gateway scifi authors instead of the zillions of better authors with better politics like vonnegut or le guin

asimov curated short story collections

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Shear Modulus posted:

its sad that so many kids apparently fall into right-wing nutjobs like card or stephenson as their gateway scifi authors instead of the zillions of better authors with better politics like vonnegut or le guin

my intro into sci-fi was Asimov's The Last Question back when i was 14. It was a pretty great starting point as it lead me to look for other mind expanding works instead of the usual milli-scifi trash that a lot of people get lost in.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

mostly because the latter two tell things kids don't want to hear

"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" was one of the earliest scifi works of substance I read and it left me super loving disgusted.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ender's game is neither as bad nor as good as people like to claim, most folks miss the point

ender himself isn't the self-insert smartest 5th grader in the world type character that a lot of critics claim he is, in the larger context of ender's game really existing as a prequel for speaker of the dead, where he founds a religion that ends up demonizing him and wanders the galaxy trying to make up for being literally hitler

unfortunately card is a pretty lovely writer and the speaker books end up a bizarre mishmash of sci fi, catholic fundamentalism, and mormon metaphysics so anything interesting about the premise of boy hitler becoming an itinerant monk is lost pretty quickly

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

The best sci-fi take on USENET was in A Fire Upon The Deep, especially the really confused alien who thought that everything that was going on could be explained and made perfect sense if you just understood that humans had six legs.

hexapodia is the key insight

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

they said the same about bernie sanders

and that's why he would have won!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Peter wasn't a self-insert either, he's the most straightforward villain figure most of the book has

I dunno, Ender's Game discussions on the Internet are tricky because everyone always goes way too hard against it in really reductive ways that don't hold up to scrutiny but yeah it's also not a good enough book for me to spend much effort on defending it as a grown adult

It was fine for something to read when you're 12 :shrug:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Were they even bloggers? I haven't read those books since I was like 15 but I thought Card just had Ender's siblings rise to prominence via their insightful posts in the comments sections of websites.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

mostly because until they installed a tankie as mod there were no mods that disagreed with him which is pretty telling about the state of D&D

tankies...good?

If nothing else tankies get it done.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Were they even bloggers? I haven't read those books since I was like 15 but I thought Card just had Ender's siblings rise to prominence via their insightful posts in the comments sections of websites.

they were shitposters in D&D and then op-ed writers under their shitposting account names

so imagine the nyt digging up fishmech and handing him a column

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

ender's game is neither as bad nor as good as people like to claim, most folks miss the point

ender himself isn't the self-insert smartest 5th grader in the world type character that a lot of critics claim he is, in the larger context of ender's game really existing as a prequel for speaker of the dead, where he founds a religion that ends up demonizing him and wanders the galaxy trying to make up for being literally hitler

unfortunately card is a pretty lovely writer and the speaker books end up a bizarre mishmash of sci fi, catholic fundamentalism, and mormon metaphysics so anything interesting about the premise of boy hitler becoming an itinerant monk is lost pretty quickly

Actually it was cool to be a 12 year-old reading about a 12-year old who was doing cool space-stuff and saving the earth by genociding an entire species (which was the surprise of the ending).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Actually it was cool to be a 12 year-old reading about a 12-year old who was doing cool space-stuff and saving the earth by genociding an entire species (which was the surprise of the ending).

ya agreed

• Locked thread