Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Has N64 emulation improved at all, or is it still as poo poo as ever

Interestingly the best way to play N64 games via emulator is using a Dolphin emulator and running the N64 wads through it. Nintendo programmers seem to be the only people capable of making a good N64 emulator.

I really wish they did an N64 VC for the n3DS. 320x240 on a fairly large ips screen? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Interestingly the best way to play N64 games via emulator is using a Dolphin emulator and running the N64 wads through it. Nintendo programmers seem to be the only people capable of making a good N64 emulator.

I really wish they did an N64 VC for the n3DS. 320x240 on a fairly large ips screen? :swoon:

Turns out that when you have the source code to a console that you released, you can make the best emulators for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FilthyImp posted:

Hey that kind of makes sense since they were one of the few places with a digitization setup.

It wasn't just that, they apparently got the job because they were situated close to Capcom USA and because their arcade hardware put out more colours than the board Midway was using for MK at the time, as if that had any bearing on the quality of the game.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I really wish I could get into Heroes of Might and Magic III but the difficulty ramps up real quick in the campaign and that really turns me off.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wizgot posted:

I really wish I could get into Heroes of Might and Magic III but the difficulty ramps up real quick in the campaign and that really turns me off.

My friends were really, really into this game when I was a kid but it just never did anything for me for some reason.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao holy poo poo

Cruise ships always have wii sports on the big screen. They schedule it for like 1-1:30 in between the trivia and bingo sessions.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Just got off a cruise, here's Wii Sports being played on a giant screen via composite.

This is quite possibly the least surprising implementation of the Wii. I wonder where the sensor bar is.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

univbee posted:

This is quite possibly the least surprising implementation of the Wii. I wonder where the sensor bar is.

All you need is two points of IR light, many who have set up a Wii for projectors use two IR spotlights pointed at the screen. Though considering how half-assed that setup appears to be I'm not sure if they'd bother with anything that requires more than absolute minimum effort.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Crossposting from Sonic thread:

Years out of the loop I checked out the current state of Sonic ROM hacking tools and things have really improved. Tools like SonLVL and flex made editing things easier than ever, and the modern community disassemblies are better than ever - including the disassembled ROM already does wonders for accessibility.

With SonLVL you can select, copy and paste groups of objects or level blocks. You can paste filling in patterns.

Creating new level art is still complicated, but enemy sprites and objects can be png import/exported. Change art, assemble parts how you want, or just edit the pixels right there. flex runs through a web browser or locally.

Even with all these conveniences, it's doubtful Sonic will ever be cut out for a Sonic Maker game. Making levels for Sonic is just more involved. Sonic 2 is shown here but it's basically the same for all of the Genesis-era Sonics. I was surprised to see Chaotix and Sonic CD support. One kaizo-ish level is the result of me messing with the tools for about half a day. It has a big corkscrew.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

SwissCM posted:

All you need is two points of IR light, many who have set up a Wii for projectors use two IR spotlights pointed at the screen. Though considering how half-assed that setup appears to be I'm not sure if they'd bother with anything that requires more than absolute minimum effort.

I remember when the Wii was contemporary, I didn't want to set up the sensor bar because The only game I played on it was Smash bros, but you couldn't navigate the Wii menu with a gamecube controller (Who's loving idea was that?) so I would hold a lighter on each side of the screen and have a friend select the game.

Maybe I should have just put up the light bar, but I thought it was kinda funny.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

worthless. posted:

I remember when the Wii was contemporary, I didn't want to set up the sensor bar because The only game I played on it was Smash bros, but you couldn't navigate the Wii menu with a gamecube controller (Who's loving idea was that?) so I would hold a lighter on each side of the screen and have a friend select the game.

Maybe I should have just put up the light bar, but I thought it was kinda funny.

Didn't have a classic controller to hook up to the Wii-mote? That's how I'd select Smash.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

When my sensor bar broke I used tea candles for a while. I had a 200 pack, ran through about 8 of them a day.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SwissCM posted:

When my sensor bar broke I used tea candles for a while. I had a 200 pack, ran through about 8 of them a day.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 20, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Kramdar posted:

Didn't have a classic controller to hook up to the Wii-mote? That's how I'd select Smash.

Nah I never had one. This was before I had money in any real capacity so it was hard enough to scrape together the cash for 4 wavebirds. I still have them but I never use them because of the noticeable delay.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

worthless. posted:

lol enrique etc.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Johnny Depp

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They had the sensor bar below the screen in a little cut out shelf. The Wii was actually a Wii U connected to a composite-to-vga converter. It looked so bad in motion, but people were having fun and that's all that matters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

It looked so bad in motion, but people were having fun and that's all that matters.

This is pretty much Nintendo's unofficial slogan for the past .. decade?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I found a black Playstation 1 at an electronics junk shop. Thinking it was a net yaroze unit I offered the guy a sly 10 bucks and he gave it to me no trouble with a scart cable for another 5. At home I realized it's just a PAL unit with an aftermarket shell. It booted up to the first major loading screen of Bust-A-Move 4 and then just hung. I shut it down and gave the system a light touch with a can of computer duster. Then it wouldn't read any discs at all. I gave the focus (bias?) pot on the drive some minor adjustments and while the disc reading noise changed a few times it still wouldn't load anything. I took out the multimeter to seriously adjust the bias/gain but my trusty multimeter's tiny batteries just then gave up the ghost after years of good use.

Another day, Klonoa Beach Volleyball.

Willo567 posted:

Has N64 emulation improved at all, or is it still as poo poo as ever

Yes! Grab mupen64plus, a frontend (seriously), and an indiegogo funded graphics plugin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZcBcsHjys

If you think you've been emulating Beetle Adventure Racing! well enough on pj64, you're wrong.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 20, 2017

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm late to post this, but I bought FireMrshlBill's PVM last week, and it's been amazing so far. It looks like a loving dream with my HD Retrovision component cables on SNES and CDX. I'm both happy and sad that I foresee myself getting my 64 and NES RGB modded in the near future.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Heran Bago posted:

Crossposting from Sonic thread:

Years out of the loop I checked out the current state of Sonic ROM hacking tools and things have really improved. Tools like SonLVL and flex made editing things easier than ever, and the modern community disassemblies are better than ever - including the disassembled ROM already does wonders for accessibility.

With SonLVL you can select, copy and paste groups of objects or level blocks. You can paste filling in patterns.

Creating new level art is still complicated, but enemy sprites and objects can be png import/exported. Change art, assemble parts how you want, or just edit the pixels right there. flex runs through a web browser or locally.

Even with all these conveniences, it's doubtful Sonic will ever be cut out for a Sonic Maker game. Making levels for Sonic is just more involved. Sonic 2 is shown here but it's basically the same for all of the Genesis-era Sonics. I was surprised to see Chaotix and Sonic CD support. One kaizo-ish level is the result of me messing with the tools for about half a day. It has a big corkscrew.

Hm.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Heran Bago posted:

I found a black Playstation 1 at an electronics junk shop. Thinking it was a net yaroze unit I offered the guy a sly 10 bucks and he gave it to me no trouble with a scart cable for another 5. At home I realized it's just a PAL unit with an aftermarket shell. It booted up to the first major loading screen of Bust-A-Move 4 and then just hung. I shut it down and gave the system a light touch with a can of computer duster. Then it wouldn't read any discs at all. I gave the focus (bias?) pot on the drive some minor adjustments and while the disc reading noise changed a few times it still wouldn't load anything. I took out the multimeter to seriously adjust the bias/gain but my trusty multimeter's tiny batteries just then gave up the ghost after years of good use.

Yes! Grab mupen64plus, a frontend (seriously), and an indiegogo funded graphics plugin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZcBcsHjys

If you think you've been emulating Beetle Adventure Racing! well enough on pj64, you're wrong.

How's compatibility compared to Project 64? Are there any games it runs that Project 64 doesn't?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Oooooooh! Emulator talk. I've been playing around with Hakchi2 on my NES classic and it's given me the emulation bug again. I'm looking at throwing something on my 4k Android TV. Is there something that supports a lot of systems but isn't insane to set up? Is Retroarch any more user friendly than it was 4 years ago? I have Kodi installed if that helps.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Retroarch is way better than it was, but I recently had an issue where it stopped finding my Bluetooth controller out of the blue.

The emulator ports by Robert Broglia in the Play store are very polished.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Heran Bago posted:

My old PlayStation suddenly stopped reading my Tomba! discs one day. It would show the PlayStation logo, seek back and forth a few times, and just stop dead. I tried adjusting the pot but it didn't make much of a difference. I ended up buying a newer model with cosmetic issues for :10bux: and swapping the drive and PSU, and it works like a charm.

I'm not sure why it only had problems with Tomba!, though. It did the same thing with both the US and JP discs (using a Gold Finger), so it wasn't a problem with the media itself. :shrug:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So...is Sonic Mania getting a physical release outside the giant bloated expensive collector's edition?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LemonLimeTime posted:

So...is Sonic Mania getting a physical release outside the giant bloated expensive collector's edition?

Lol that doesn't include a physical copy either.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

azurite posted:

Retroarch is way better than it was, but I recently had an issue where it stopped finding my Bluetooth controller out of the blue.

The emulator ports by Robert Broglia in the Play store are very polished.

Totally agree with this post, but drat do I wish Emulationstation would get a port to PC / android, holy poo poo do I love that interface on my retropies

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Lol that doesn't include a physical copy either.

If it's successful maybe Limited Run games will do a run which will sell out stupidly quickly and then you can buy it on eBay for like two hundred bucks.

Been setting up an old fatty PS3 (a CECHE so the less good PS2 compatible versions) at my dad's place where the internet "exists" but is stupidly slow (like 3ish megabits a second I think?). Getting a reasonably fleshed out library of physical games including some choice PS1 and PS2 titles, but there's the odd must-have that's digital only, or far far easier/cheaper to get in digital form especially if I snag it during a good PSN sale, so it's a bit of an odd mix of mostly-physical games which is kind of comforting since I know for a fact those will all work, and the odd digital game I've just accepted as the most practical way of getting the title in question, plus I can haul it back to my place occasionally to do big downloads if necessary. It's a bit of a weird double-edged sword since modern physical editions of games have introduced a ton of cons into the mix since they're so seldom "complete" or have other annoyances.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

LemonLimeTime posted:

no. and even that only includes a download code. But it also includes a fake Genesis cart that can be displayed all pretty with your other Genesis games i guess

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All New Sonic posted:

My old PlayStation suddenly stopped reading my Tomba! discs one day. It would show the PlayStation logo, seek back and forth a few times, and just stop dead. I tried adjusting the pot but it didn't make much of a difference. I ended up buying a newer model with cosmetic issues for :10bux: and swapping the drive and PSU, and it works like a charm.

I'm not sure why it only had problems with Tomba!, though. It did the same thing with both the US and JP discs (using a Gold Finger), so it wasn't a problem with the media itself. :shrug:

I think Tomba! is one of those games that is hit or miss with hardware revisions, I know it wouldn't boot half the time when I'd try to play it on a PS2 back in the day, hanging right before the title screen. Worked perfectly fine on my old PS1, though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Speaking of weird disc read issues, The Chrono Trigger ps1 disc I have plays fine on ps3 and ps2, but my ps1 says it's not a valid disc. PS1 plays every other disc I have, so :iiam: I guess

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Your PS1 is just saving the last of its lasers' life and doesn't want them wasted on all the extra load times in CT.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

Your PS1 is just saving the last of its lasers' life and doesn't want them wasted on all the extra load times in CT.

It's definitely pretty painful. Especially after the first half of the game where they run out of good ideas and just have you do a bunch of boring rear end fights.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

LemonLimeTime posted:

100MB functionally indie games tend to not get physical releases anymore

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd say it's more common that ever, actually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

worthless. posted:

It's definitely pretty painful. Especially after the first half of the game where they run out of good ideas and just have you do a bunch of boring rear end fights.

What the gently caress?

First the thread shits on Super Mario World, now Chrono Trigger? This is some kinda ironic posting right. Tell me you're not being serious :ohdear:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

What the gently caress?

First the thread shits on Super Mario World, now Chrono Trigger? This is some kinda ironic posting right. Tell me you're not being serious :ohdear:

The only good Sonic fan is a dead one.

Dead furries dead furries

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Star Man posted:

What does that have to do with chrono trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Star Man posted:

Boy are you just gonna love Sonic Forces with its character creator mode then :can:.

• Locked thread