Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
http://www.piedpiper.com/a-thicket-of-thorns/

Poor Jared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Cojawfee posted:

I guess having a youtube channel really can lead to success.

Or prison.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
It's kind of sad how stale this show has become. Parks and Rec had a super boring setting but had really steady character progression and setting changes. There's no point in getting invested in any scenario in SV because by the end of the episode it'll be "welp, Richard is at it again. What a clown."

This is especially glaring since SV is followed by Veep which has really high quality writing.

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 20, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LinYutang posted:

It's kind of sad how stale this show has become. Parks and Rec had a super boring setting but had really steady character progression and setting changes. There's no point in getting invested in any scenario in SV because by the end of the episode it'll be "welp, Richard is at it again. What a clown."

Yeah, again, I can't help but see Judge making new riffs on Office Space's ending. "Oh wow we're so hosed...oh wait someone else hosed up more so now we're okay again."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 20, 2017

nmx
May 16, 2004

Richard has always been an rear end in a top hat. It's too bad, cause I want to root for the guy, but he's one of those guys who doesn't realize he's a dick.

Seeing Jared finally snap was brilliant.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's funny, I just saw this interview with TJ Miller and he has the same issue with the show as a lot of folks here:

TJ Miller posted:

“The show is the same thing over and over,” he said. “I guess it’s a formula that works, but [the heroes] succeed, and then they fail, and then the failure turns into success. It’s a very cyclical show.”

http://www.thewrap.com/silicon-valley-tj-miller-exit-cliffhanger/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've been defending the cycle for a while because Silicon Valley was consistently funny, but this season just feels off. It's just not as funny, and there aren't many moments that are spot-on about Valley culture. Having things revert to normal at the end works much better in an episodic format than in a serialized one to begin with, but the show was so funny that I could overlook that.

I remember that my criticism about Silicon Valley's third season mirrored what I thought about Broad City's third season- strong start, strong finish, a weaker mid-season because they strayed from the formula. I hope that this doesn't translate to the fourth season of that other show, but I'm not optimistic about anything these days.

anime was right posted:

so uh they live in elrich's house how is he going to pay the taxes on it lol
It's Jian Yang's house now, buddy.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 20, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They need a better setting for spinning their wheels -- creating opportunities for jokes and satire with said spinning. A start-up with a world-changing IP is too high speed.

If Hooli develops a comparable algorithm and the world's software simply bloats to match (and Netflix now streams 4k to mobile) then what's his algorithm worth? He could sell it for $1m as a marginal improvement, the world doesn't change and they could restart the formula from square 1 with a new app. It creates opportunity to satirize someone not striking while the irons' hot and they could move onto the new hotness: AI.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 20, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

priznat posted:

It's funny, I just saw this interview with TJ Miller and he has the same issue with the show as a lot of folks here:

If "Chevy Chase on Community"-style horror stories start to come out about TJ Miller on Silicon Valley, it'll be hard to defend somebody whose first big credit after leaving is The Emoji Movie.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is Chevy Chase the biggest rear end in a top hat to work with? Honestly, I haven't heard anything but bad things about him on set and I don't know of other celebs with such a bad reputation.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I didn't know anything about that, but I've just googled 'Chevy Chase reputation' for some nice schadenfreude.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't he die in Deadpool? Cause I remember reading he's signed up for Deadpool 2.

I will miss "motherfuck!" :(

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Didn't he die in Deadpool? Cause I remember reading he's signed up for Deadpool 2.
I don't think he did.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Didn't he die in Deadpool?

No.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is Chevy Chase the biggest rear end in a top hat to work with? Honestly, I haven't heard anything but bad things about him on set and I don't know of other celebs with such a bad reputation.

Chevy complained on-set that the writers were making his character too racist, and he shouted something like "do you have anything besides n*gger jokes for me?"

So Chuck Lorre, sweetheart that he is, took the opportunity to get "CHEVY CHASE GOES ON RACIST TIRADE" published everywhere he could

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Accretionist posted:

It creates opportunity to satirize someone not striking while the irons' hot and they could move onto the new hotness: AI.

I actually like this idea

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Chevy Chase is probably really cool and fun to be with.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

This show should do that thing Star Trek does and focus on 1 character for an entire episode and do that with the entire cast except Richard

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

priznat posted:

He did an interview on the Jim & Sam show on SiriusXM yesterday, and he went into more detail. Apparently HBO was a little annoyed that they had to adjust the shooting around TJ’s schedule, and had offered him to only appear in 3-5 episodes. I guess that opened the door for TJ to renegotiate his contract, and instead of appearing in a few episodes, he decided to kill off the character. When he explained his thought process to Mike Judge, Judge agreed with him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How many more episodes do we have this season?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I don't see how they're gonna wrap anything at all up in one episode, so we may be having the "new internet" thing going next season. Only with a Richard baby thrown in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Since this season was likely in the can already by the time he decided to leave, I'm guessing Erlich's plane is going to be shot down over the sea of Japan and spin in in the first episode of next season. Or after this suicide bomber joke they just did, they could have his plane be shot down over Ukraine or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I already made that joke! And even skillfully wove an Office crossover into it. :mad:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Solice Kirsk posted:

I already made that joke! And even skillfully wove an Office crossover into it. :mad:

This is the Silicon Valley thread, jokes get repeated ad nauseam with no respect for how bored it makes the audience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whether or not their app caused the phones to explode, the reality is that they already transferred the data from Azure.

Transfer data to phone network, phone network undergoes mass bricking, insurance data lost.

Richard just killed that insurance company and hosed that guy harder than Erlich hosed his wife.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bull3964 posted:

Whether or not their app caused the phones to explode, the reality is that they already transferred the data from Azure.

Transfer data to phone network, phone network undergoes mass bricking, insurance data lost.

Richard just killed that insurance company and hosed that guy harder than Erlich hosed his wife.

*wives :haw:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

That would be a ridiculously stupid plot device as you know, there's no compelling reason to delete the data in real-time while they're still in the expo but... this show loves playing the "omg one thing went wrong and obviously nobody ever plans ahead for failures in the tech industry so obviously the gang are hosed... for the next five minutes" card so, who knows.

Edit: also, gonna bet that it wasn't the pied piper app that burned the phones but Keenen's VR app powered by hoolie's middleout knock-off because that gives Our Heroes a way to win and also resets the cycle by reinstalling Gavin as head of Hoolie by the end of the season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That would be a ridiculously stupid plot device as you know, there's no compelling reason to delete the data in real-time while they're still in the expo

Yes, there was, it was costing them a fortune. They had to get it completely off the servers ASAP.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is Chevy Chase the biggest rear end in a top hat to work with?

Not as long as Steven Seagal is still around.

I'll miss TJ Miller from Silicon Valley. His character is great relief sometimes and he's had some total scene stealers like the coughing fit.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Chevy complained on-set that the writers were making his character too racist, and he shouted something like "do you have anything besides n*gger jokes for me?"

So Chuck Lorre, sweetheart that he is, took the opportunity to get "CHEVY CHASE GOES ON RACIST TIRADE" published everywhere he could

Really? I don't remember/know the true story, but I thought there was an interview about it with Jeff McHale where he said "Yeah, I'm not really sure Chevy Chase was acting."

nerox
May 20, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Since this season was likely in the can already by the time he decided to leave, I'm guessing Erlich's plane is going to be shot down over the sea of Japan and spin in in the first episode of next season. Or after this suicide bomber joke they just did, they could have his plane be shot down over Ukraine or something.

I can see them working hard on the problem de jour in the room and Jared comes into the room crying and basically doing Radar's lines.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
the ending of this episode reminded me of the movie antitrust

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, I think I'm done with this show. It's just the same poo poo over and over and over and it has become less and less about tech culture and more of a boring sitcom

I guess I got 2-3 really funny season out of it, so no loss or hard feelings

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I do expect them to hit the next phase of the company next season. We've gotten 4 seasons out of "company with good idea tries to get off the ground", but we need to see what's next.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done with this show. It's just the same poo poo over and over and over and it has become less and less about tech culture and more of a boring sitcom

I guess I got 2-3 really funny season out of it, so no loss or hard feelings

I feel the same way, but I stayed with Dexter to the bitter end, so I feel like I can do the same with this show.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

nerox posted:

I feel the same way, but I stayed with Dexter to the bitter end, so I feel like I can do the same with this show.

Erlich becomes a lumberjack at the end of the season.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There will be some very intense Erlich = Jesus symbology in the finale. Maybe a dove will explode.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nerox posted:

I can see them working hard on the problem de jour in the room and Jared comes into the room crying and basically doing Radar's lines.

And then Jian Yang comes in eating yogurt while miraculously smoking at the same time, and says "I told you my uncle was uh *very* corrupt," smiles evilly, and walks out of the room. Gilfoyle breaks the silence with a dry "we need to move the gently caress out of here...now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was always willing to excuse Richard whenever he made a mistake or acted against the interest of his friends, but asking Jarred to play "Uncle Jerry's game" was definitely crossing the line for me. His "Do you know what you are asking?" line was too much :smith:

• Locked thread