Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mr Fronts posted:

I like the idea of having Derek feed all his blogs through something that converts bulk text into numbered 140char chunks and automatically tweets them.

Replying to @dsmart
(3505) Most of the noise about this impending train wreck, has mostly come from smaller media, who, even though we all know each other, have more

Replying to @dsmart
(3506) at stake in terms of being honest, and forthcoming, than those who just want to exist in the status quo and hope it blows over. However,

Replying to @dsmart
(3507) once my article hit, and set practically every single gaming community ablaze about the state and fate of Star Citizen, it opened dialog in all

Then archive it all on r/ds.

Twitter is lovely enough as it is, please don't give anyone any ideas [1/93]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like this line from this weeks commlink...

quote:

And what better way to wrap up the week with a new ship?! We are incredibly excited to unveil the Concept Sale for the Xi’An Nox! It joins the Dragonfly as a sleek and nimble bike built for high speeds. Having one (or several) in your fleet will definitely give your style points!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ohh, style points. And yet another spacebike, for all your podracing needs.

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

Remember that time Chris promised in a Comm Link that he wouldn't sell anymore ships that weren't immediately ready to play in Arena Commander?

hahahahahaha

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CIG, come on, bring out Space Hoverboards. Dozens of models priced $50-500 different only in board shape, separate purchasable skins, announce a board rack expansion for sale for every ship, including bikes.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

3.0 will contain a large amount of New, exciting, and fresh content

Uh huh

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am Jack's toxic blaze of insecurity and malice.

Would you believe me if I told you some of them are waking up?

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Take a look at this, the third most upvoted post in r/starcitizen over the past year, and gilded x4: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66qrlc/cig_your_marketing_is_too_far_ahead_of_itself/

My emphasis in bold:

quote:

Hello there, Reddit and lurking CIG eyes. I'm PoisonTaco and I have a bone to pick with the current trend in how the game is pushed and presented.

The recent pushes for subscriber numbers and the referral program are rubbing me the wrong way. As someone who helps run a modest organization, I talk to and interact with people new to Star Citizen all the time. They keep coming in, just getting into the game, all excited. Usually they get help in buying a ship, they are super pumped to play the game and then they realize the area round Crusader runs like crap. Then somebody has to explain to them why the PU is laggy. Someone has to explain why it's difficult to get into the game with a large group. Someone has to explain that all these things will be fixed in wonder patch 3.0.

The problem is lots of people are being brought into this game, they're uninformed and sold something that looks like it could be complete when it really isn't. They come in, check it out and quickly burn out. It's not particularly fair on these new players and it's doubly not fair for communities and groups of players who have to hold their hand the whole way.

CIG why are you pushing backers to bring in more and more players now when you lack any form of New Player Experience

This is the biggest one. No tutorial, no singleplayer, no 100% functioning multiplayer. If a brand new person were to look at Star Citizen, buy in now and had no friends or anyone in the game to help them they would be completely lost. What's worse is that players are now encouraged with rewards and a new contest to try and upsell the game as much as possible. Usually in these cases, players will omit all the flaws and incomplete features.

If Squadron 42 was out and we were in 3.X I think the community would find this a lot more palatable. CIG you already have the backers. The people you have now are the people who believe in the dream of a badass space simulator. The people you're trying to go after want a game right now. Not a game in one, two or even three more years. They want something to play now or even reasonably soon.

TL;DR

* I believe CIG is trying to market the game like any MMO post-release rather than a game still in development.
* The new referral program is only going to bring in lots of new players into Star Citizen when it lacks any New Player Experience.
* I also believe the community would be more receptive to such a contest if Star Citizen had more to deliver right now than a 3.0 schedule. Get Squadron 42 out and get us to 3.X and that would be a better sweet spot.
* CIG you need to stop getting the community to do the recruiting and marketing for you. We already put in a lot of time explaining everything to new players. We already defend the game in other subreddits, other forum posts and whatever. You need to get the game to a point where it can stand on its own, stop pushing the community to make the excuses in your stead.

Anyways, I went on a bit of a rant. Though it's best to be constructive about these things. I do hope at least some of this feedback makes it through.

Edit: RIP Inbox. Does anyone know if it comes with LTI?
This person has described in detail everything scammy about Star Citizen, yet is somehow still a Star Citizen. Everyone on the subreddit read that post, and nearly all of them upvoted it, yet they are still citizens. Baffling.

Septic Tank Gulag fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 20, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I think Cersei is going to give the goon troll away.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MedicineHut posted:

I think Cersei is going to give the goon troll away.

If that were a real profession, SC might have had some promise.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ma'am I'm a professional tickle pirate

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

vyst posted:

Ma'am I'm a professional tickle pirate

As you tip your fedora pirate hat.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Star Citizen: Hugbox of Irony

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Lol. So desperate to validate their hope that Crobberts polishes the 3.0 build.

And as much I appreciate the Black Mesa for existing, their Xen levels is a prime loving example of how bad project management and messed priorities (and I think also trying to do stuff that the engine was not designed to support) lead to delays and "when it's done" practices. Which doesn't quite work well with your community, when you switch to a commercial product model, seeking funds to complete the game (3+ years ago), claim that you've been working on the last levels since forever, and then focusing on the Black Mesa multiplayer deathmatches for some reason.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Would've made the Tower of Babel stuff a lot funnier. Derek, why haven't you coded a bot to auto-post all your tweets to r/ds? Then start tweeting about how your day is going, what kind of burger is the best burger, are hotdogs sandwiches, etc.

I considered doing it at one point. But then I realized that they would just ban the bot; thus it ended up being a waste of time. Besides, those rear end-clowns are doing just fine cluttering their hate-Red with rubbish that just shows how hosed up they are.

Well, apparently 3.0 isn't the much lauded Jesus patch anymore. :shrug:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

Take a look at this, the third most upvoted post in r/starcitizen over the past year, and gilded x4: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66qrlc/cig_your_marketing_is_too_far_ahead_of_itself/

My emphasis in bold:
This person has described in detail everything scammy about Star Citizen, yet is somehow still a Star Citizen. Everyone on the subreddit read that post, and nearly all of them upvoted it, yet they are still citizens. Baffling.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

I considered doing it at one point. But then I realized that they would just ban the bot; thus it ended up being a waste of time. Besides, those rear end-clowns are doing just fine cluttering their hate-Red with rubbish that just shows how hosed up they are.

Quitters never win, Derek!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Who the gently caress let Samzidata back in the thread.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lladre posted:

Who the gently caress let Samzidata back in the thread.

:agreed:

I also don't enjoy your posting much except when you post pictures of your cute dog

so like do that and don't post about any other stuff please

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
3.0 will save CIG and this thread

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

3.0 will save CIG and this thread

Who leaked that tidbit?

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
:boom:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
fuckn butts

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66qrlc/cig_your_marketing_is_too_far_ahead_of_itself/dgkm848/

quote:

My friends won't touch the game despite my attempts to lure them in.
They aren't backers, they are hardcore gamers but fairly interested space game fans who've played EVE, Elite Dangerous, Sins, Stellaris etc, but they won't touch this game yet.
The biggest reason none of them will back this project was put quite well by one of them "I will give it a go when there is actually a game to play."
Their marketing needs to stay focused on the backers, because the common gamer just isn't interested in this project yet.
We lowly common gamers simply don't understand noble Star Citizen in all her majesty.

It's like, my god, they're so close to getting it, but they just refuse to hear what's coming out of their own mouths. wtf

also

quote:

yet
lol

Septic Tank Gulag fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if RSI runs out of game developers (coders) to trick into working on Star Citizen?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Taintrunner posted:

What if RSI runs out of game developers (coders) to trick into working on Star Citizen?

They have a whole new crop of Ben Lesnicks now, they can just hire fans to be the new coders. They don't know how to code, but that's not much of a problem for this project.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Taintrunner posted:

They already did, but there are plenty of artists and marketers looking for work.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

* CIG you need to stop getting the community to do the recruiting and marketing for you. We already put in a lot of time explaining everything to new players. We already defend the game in other subreddits, other forum posts and whatever. You need to get the game to a point where it can stand on its own, stop pushing the community to make the excuses in your stead.

Well since not having to pay a publisher makes backer funds count for 4x times more than a normal game developer, clearly outsourcing marketing to the community will make funds count even more, like 8x.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

hot balls man no homo posted:

They already did, but there are plenty of artists and marketers looking for work.
:iceburn:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66qrlc/cig_your_marketing_is_too_far_ahead_of_itself/dgkm848/

We lowly common gamers simply don't understand noble Star Citizen in all her majesty.

It's like, my god, they're so close to getting it, but they just refuse to hear what's coming out of their own mouths. wtf

also

lol

I feel like these guys should spend their time being thankful that so many idiots are willing to pay for promises and lies, not try and figure out why normal people prefer tangible goods.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

I feel like these guys should spend their time being thankful that so many idiots are willing to pay for promises and lies, not try and figure out why normal people prefer tangible goods.

Yeah, lots of people prefer to wait for a tangible finished good. And that is why I think CIG has not maxed out its market base yet even after all these years.

All CIG needs to do to tap that extra market segment is to loving release something officially that is good. Easy.

E:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 20, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/877202766929813507

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
:orb:

http://i.imgur.com/EsNCLab.gifv

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
$853k so far this month, they need a sale if they want to break 1.3 million.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

$853k so far this month, they need a sale if they want to break 1.3 million.
that is loving bleak

robers must be making GBS threads himself

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/877269027629826048

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007