Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Morglon posted:

The best part about that was that the same bug already was in STO a year or so before and also in beta and reported a bunch they just did nothing until poo poo really hit the fan.

Don't mind me while I crash the server and corrupt the database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Da Mott Man posted:

Don't mind me while I crash the server and corrupt the database.

But think about how much database processing/storage they saved by not using a signed int. Or any kind of error correction on AH transactions.

Christopher
May 29, 2006
There hasn't been much actual chat about this game in the forums recently. Are goons playing this? Do we have a guild? Is it worth trying? I played this at launch and enjoyed it a lot but ended up being pulled into another game and heard a bunch of drama and sort of watched it fail through different news outlets. I've recently seen quite a few youtube videos with lots of views and positive ratings saying that the game is much better/more healthy now. Thoughts?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Christopher posted:

There hasn't been much actual chat about this game in the forums recently. Are goons playing this? Do we have a guild? Is it worth trying? I played this at launch and enjoyed it a lot but ended up being pulled into another game and heard a bunch of drama and sort of watched it fail through different news outlets. I've recently seen quite a few youtube videos with lots of views and positive ratings saying that the game is much better/more healthy now. Thoughts?

No. No. No. Don't bother playing, every now and then a goon will try playing and get bored.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Christopher posted:

Link videos I want to read these alleged comments.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I mean honestly just download it and try it, you'll only be losing your time, which being a goon isn't worth much anyway.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Only if you've got unlimited bandwidth.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is it easier to get to the endgame now? I remember making a character in this game at launch and spending like a month to get to level 25 or something.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Christopher posted:

The people still playing the game and posting content on Youtube and other social media stuff are die hard hangers on, theyre going to try to paint a rose picture of the game no matter how bad it gets. Honestly though if you are curious about the game though it couldnt hurt to install it and give it a shot the next time they have a double xp weekend. Its become pretty clear that Wildstar is going to remain open for the foreseeable future even if it is on life support

With that said the game appears to be a graveyard and there is a very good reason for that. Its not just Carbine's mismanagement of multiple launches, its that the game is kind of boring.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

The MMO Book Club group on Reddit just added Wildstar as one of their games if you want to try this game and have some people to play with. (they're also playing LOTRO) As others have stated, their are some really fanatical Wildstar people.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

The people still playing the game and posting content on Youtube and other social media stuff are die hard hangers on, theyre going to try to paint a rose picture of the game no matter how bad it gets. Honestly though if you are curious about the game though it couldnt hurt to install it and give it a shot the next time they have a double xp weekend. Its become pretty clear that Wildstar is going to remain open for the foreseeable future even if it is on life support

With that said the game appears to be a graveyard and there is a very good reason for that. Its not just Carbine's mismanagement of multiple launches, its that the game is kind of boring.

Thank you for the intelligible response. Kind of refreshing. I was getting the sense that this was the issue. The few vlogs that I saw that were hyping the game just really seemed to contrast the current situation. I watched a guy stream it on Twitch today and he came across no people in the open world and waiting in a dungeon queue for 30 minutes before logging. I don't know how some vloggers could call it "healthy" in its current state without being some form of delusional. It's hard with a game like Wildstar because it looks very cool, has action combat (which I like), and on paper just seems to be a solid MMO. So every once in a while when I glance at it I'm like, "Hmm..why is this bad again? Maybe I should check it out." Thanks again for your response. I'll pass on it for now.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The few people playing Wildstar seem to have some pretty serious denial going on. The fact that the games population is abysmal is just undeniable, yet they desperately insist that the game has more than enough people for a quick queues, for the world to feel populated, etc etc. I think a big part of that is because they are very active in evangelizing the game, they know if they admit the population is a mess itll make people less interested in playing. /r/wildstar fairly frequently bridgades /r/mmorpg trying to promote their game for example and they as such a small group that no one really bothers to care.

Still, dead MMOs and the people who latch onto them can be interesting in their own way. Like I said if you are curious it couldnt hurt to try during a double xp weekend, but your time would probably be better spent on countless other games.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i played wildstar like three months ago and any dungeon i did not bring enough people to pop the queues for had waits over 30 minutes

they did have some scaling mini-dungeons that were actually pretty fun and well-written, though.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The Steam Charts at least are reporting an increase in players for the month.

...To 581 players at peak.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i guarantee at least forty of those are someone multiboxing the game

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
speaking of mmo disasters, how about that final fantasy 14: stormblood

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Minrad posted:

please, one thread of wrenching out my heart is enough

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Minrad posted:

Whats happening with that?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

CoffeeBooze posted:

Whats happening with that?

there's a mandatory storyline of quests you have to do to access new areas, dungeons, etc. it's also most of the leveling exp as well.

about 10 quests in, before you're even meant to hit level 61 from 60, you get stonewalled by a mandatory solo dungeon that lets about 10 people through on each server, an hour.

then, there's a second one 5 quests later.

Square Enix's response has been to apologize and do nothing, asking everyone to wait because it'll go away if everyone stops trying to do it.

If you do manage to get past it, there was a bug where a mandatory boss fight would randomly permanently trap your character in limbo so you could no longer log in until the next patch they can implement to fix it. I think this one is being sorta fixed now.

That's all on top of the standard MMO launch pains of disconnects, server errors, overcrowding, etc.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

fwiw, warlords of draenor was the gold standard of mmo expansion disaster lately. I asked a friend to check today to find out when he got his achievement for hitting max level and finishing the leveling zones, and it was about two days post launch.

Right now, the great majority of FFXIV's population is stonewalled by what's tantamount to the garrison quest that bugged out in wow, which blizzard hotfixed within hours. It's been, uh, almost 48 hours since this issue's cropped up?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Note that it isn't broken in the sense that it isn't working as intended because it is. SE is intentionally causing the problem by throttling how many simultaneous instances can exist.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

What the gently caress happened over at Square? ARR was pretty good despite having some serious flaws like everything being gated. It seems like each expansion has been a step in the wrong direction and now this poo poo, which is flat out dumb.

Also my favorite WoD launch moment was when the owner of /r/wow took the sub hostage by locking it down and refusing to allow anyone to post until Blizzard allowed him to log in. I wonder if well see the FFXIV community have a similar meltdown somewhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spookyelectric posted:

FFXIV is breaking under having this many people per instance in the new areas.

Minrad posted:

there's a mandatory storyline of quests you have to do to access new areas, dungeons, etc. it's also most of the leveling exp as well.

about 10 quests in, before you're even meant to hit level 61 from 60, you get stonewalled by a mandatory solo dungeon that lets about 10 people through on each server, an hour.

Square Enix's response has been to apologize and do nothing, asking everyone to wait because it'll go away if everyone stops trying to do it.

If you do manage to get past it, there was a bug where a mandatory boss fight would randomly permanently trap your character in limbo so you could no longer log in until the next patch they can implement to fix it. I think this one is being sorta fixed now.

That's all on top of the standard MMO launch pains of disconnects, server errors, overcrowding, etc.

The locked out bug is apparently caused by using a persistent emote such as /sit when you enter the dungeon. It tried to put set you to using the same emote except the exit is under water and /sit is an invalid state there. So it's not random and it's funnier than expected!

The instance thing is supposedly caused by there not being enough single player instances in each data center. The Japanese and EU data centers have less traffic in their respective nights and can operate normally during those times. In the US data center everything remains completely broken. Like, there will be over 1000 people in the first new zone of the expansion and 2 in the 2nd major zone.

Right now the fun thing is that every time you transition to an instance server or back you have a good chance of being disconnected. On the popular goon server there's usually a 500ish person line.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 18, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

That reminds me of a bug with Perfect World (the game not the company) with an early elf quest to get your flying wings that required you to interact with a chest. Only one person could interact at a time so you could just sit there spamming the button and nobody else could progress.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Spookyelectric posted:

It's barely edging out Everquest and Everquest 2!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Sounds like a Plane of Justice tier bottleneck.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
The Stormblood woes sound pretty funny but I don't think that a bad expansion launch in an otherwise okay game is comparable to the disaster that is Wildstar

It's still funny though

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RottenK posted:

The Stormblood woes sound pretty funny but I don't think that a bad expansion launch in an otherwise okay game is comparable to the disaster that is Wildstar

It's still funny though

yeah, but wildstar chat at this point is just beating a dead horse. this really should just be titled "bad mmo chat zone" or something

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Minrad posted:

really should just be titled "bad mmo chat zone" or something

I kinda want to get in on the gw2 bashing since my doomsaying about the quality of the xpac earned me this av and title.

Lot of people blame trinity woes, but in gonna take a step further-

Each class was made so self sufficient and their defensive abilities so potent (compared to the offensive choices) it made ever class play very similar. The fact the all debuffs/buffs were universal generics didn't help this.

The most effective builds pretty much did 100% of their damage from weapon slot abilities (mostly the 1 auto attack) and everything else was just defence or mobility or healing.

To kill a player 1v1 in gw2 meant they basically let you, or played very stupidly. The ability to disengage at will with very little option to chase was such a shitshow in small scale PvP. If a fight wasn't going your way simply turn and press your leap/teleport in the other direction. Your opponent now has to burn their mobilty to chase you, putting them in a bad position, wasting resources, and probably burning their escape. Unless you were almost dead and them at full HP you probably have the advantage. Hell most classes could turn that around if they could funnel someone to chase them.

Thief was super popular small scale PvP class not because of op stealth or burst like some mmos, but because they had the most powerful and flexible mobilty in the game. If your arnt a thief yourself, you had zero chance of ever chasing one down who committed to running away.

This combined to make the majority of PvP encounters in wvwvw people hesitantly sniping at each other from Max range, then instantly retreating once they reached 50% hp. Or a dude getting bored of the skittish footies, jumping in, maybe bursting a dude to 50% before his target teleports away and everyone else dogpiles him.

And before you say wvwvw was about Mass PvP everyone who did that can tell you it's basically just smashing zergs against each other with little thought. Could be entertaining for a while I guess.

Don't even get me started on how loving stupid a downed state is in PvP.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I remember watching a video of 1v1 during a gw2 arena match, two players of the same class and build were furiously casting spells at each other for about 10 seconds before noticing they don't do damage to each other. Like none at all. A passive trait in the build was nullifying all damage with potency below a certain threshold and the build didn't have any ability to penetrate it. Esports!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

You're pretty spot on for GW2, but that was some of the charm.

The pvp was totally optional and meaningless.

But you could definetely play a support class, as i did.

One of my most memorable moments came from a high level fractal before the changes were made, and it is only memorable because of some tard.

I play staff necro with party skills by choice.
So we rigged the first fractal to be the jungle one with that daggar dude.
The whole time this warrior was ragging on me for standing on the hill and just landing buffs/debuffs.

He goes down so now he has more time to type and was going on and on. "learn to play your class..."

daggar dude gets off an amazing throw that rebounds of all 3 of the other guys because they bunched, and of course they drop.

mouthy dude doesnt even get his "gg" off when i drop my aoe res on the other 3 and they are back up almost as soon as they went down.

He didnt say another word the entire run.

What i disliked about GW2 was the mentality of the people. People that would seriously whinge and block you if you made their usual 5 minute run of a normally 2 hour long dungeon take 7 minutes instead. The overworld was fine though.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
I didn't want to mention pve because I played for the PvP, but the pve content was pretty horrible.
Let's also talk about gw2's content drought.
In the... 5? Years gw2 has been launched they have added.

0 dungeons.
1 collection of mini dungeons, which broke their no gear grind promise by adding another tier of gear.
5? Pve zones, each about 1/4th the size and content of a wow zone.
1 wvwvw map, which everyone hated and was removed.
1 class
1 traitline for each class, including 4 abilities and an elite.
Raiding!
0 weapons
0 new skills or abilities outside the xpac
3 new skins for weapons/armor. 100000 more from the cash shop!
loving anime wings, for the low low price of 10 bucks!

That's including the full game price xpac. Also the xpac is mandatory because the new added trait lines are hilariously more powerful than the base line one and are used in 95% of builds.

I will say though gw2 is a flawed gem and that's why I bitch so much. It's so close to being amazing.
Wildstar is like a dumpster fire, but gw2 is like a fine steak dinner someone put ketchup on.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 20, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DancingShade posted:

That reminds me of a bug with Perfect World (the game not the company) with an early elf quest to get your flying wings that required you to interact with a chest. Only one person could interact at a time so you could just sit there spamming the button and nobody else could progress.

This is a bug that constantly keeps coming up. Even in non MMO games! Like when The Division launched you created your character, did a quick little movement tutorial, and then you had to go to a computer to "activate" yourself as a secret agent. And yet again only one person could interact with the computer at a time so there as this long as line of people waiting in line to start playing the game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Meskhenet posted:

The pvp game was totally optional and meaningless.

FTFY. And stopping playing GW2 was a great decision. It's a floaty mushy game with zero sense of pretty much anything to it. I laugh when people tell me the combat was good, though.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Double Monocle posted:

I didn't want to mention pve because I played for the PvP, but the pve content was pretty horrible.
Let's also talk about gw2's content drought.
In the... 5? Years gw2 has been launched they have added.
There's been two major content droughts, but they're doing pretty great now. New major content is added every 2-3 months, with smaller story events added in between.

I'm gonna effort post a bit here in the bad mmo thread, sorry.

This is true, but their dungeons weren't that good anyway, and they realized that. They've shifted to Fractals, which are better.

Double Monocle posted:

1 collection of mini dungeons, which broke their no gear grind promise by adding another tier of gear.
This isn't true. Ascended gear was in the game from beta, just not implemented. They did really drop the ball in messaging that, though. There's been no other armor tiers added in the 4 years since then, and they've been adamant it will never happen.

Double Monocle posted:

5? Pve zones, each about 1/4th the size and content of a wow zone.
I don't know about WoW zones, so I can't compare there, but I doubt that's true! The Maguuma wastes maps were like that, but all the expansion zones were decently sized, but very vertical and very dense.

Since then, every Living Story update has had a small map released with it, at least comparable with the entire Wastes map. So, that's 5 new ones since the expansion, plus another one on the way, and then another expansion (images were already leaked and these new zones are pretty big).

Double Monocle posted:

1 wvwvw map, which everyone hated and was removed.
Which was reworked after criticism and readded. WvW is now the two classic Alpine map and then one Desert.

Double Monocle posted:

1 class
1 traitline for each class, including 4 abilities and an elite.
It's more a sub-class for each class, with core class mechanics being changed. There's a new one for each class coming each expansion.

Each sub-class gets a weapon the class couldn't otherwise use, so new weapon options are still being added. Though they have not straight up added a brand new weapon type, that's true.

Double Monocle posted:

0 new skills or abilities outside the xpac
Mostly true, but there are new ability mechanics added, like an extra downed state ability and context sensitive ability key that does stuff.

Double Monocle posted:

3 new skins for weapons/armor. 100000 more from the cash shop!
There is too much stuff in the gem store versus regular play, but there is new stuff added decently often. It is a problem though.

Double Monocle posted:

Also the xpac is mandatory because the new added trait lines are hilariously more powerful than the base line one and are used in 95% of builds.
That may have been true at launch, but there's a fair number of builds that don't use expansion content, assuming you're talking about PvP.

Double Monocle posted:

I will say though gw2 is a flawed gem and that's why I bitch so much. It's so close to being amazing.
Wildstar is like a dumpster fire, but gw2 is like a fine steak dinner someone put ketchup on.
It's definitely not a perfect game or anything, but there's been lots of improvements, and honestly right now is a real good streak for the game.

The first expansion was kinda content-light, but it added a ton of features to the game which improved it lot, and the content there was was pretty good. They've cleaned up a lot of it to make it even better. The next expansion is going to be announced in a month or two. It's improved a lot since the Heart of Thorns release. (Part of the problem seems to have been incompetent management, and there's been a lot of changes in leadership, which seems to have helped the game a lot.)

That said, if you've got base problems with the gameplay or class structure/lack of trinity, the game still isn't going to be for you. It's not a fundamentally different game.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 20, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ArenaNet's utter refusal to add new armor sets to the game (instead of gem shop outfits) completely kills it for me, honestly. When the game launched, endgame was fashion--the whole point to doing dungeons or Arah events was to get new, cool armor skins that you could mix and match. Since launch, they've added a single-digit number of new armor sets that you can earn through gameplay, and let's not forget that's over the course of almost 5 years. (They did just add legendary armor, but, well, I'll get to that.)

Ultimately, that now means that the goal of endgame--no matter what you're doing--is generally grinding for legendary items. Legendary weapons, legendary backpacks, and now legendary armor. But they all take thousands of gold to make--side issue, but the all-importance of gold in GW2 saps a lot of the fun for me as well--so they're all very long-term goals for anyone who plays even remotely casually. And that's fine! I have no problem with really long-term rewards or "hardcore" rewards existing in the game. But when there's very little for anyone else to strive for, the game needs to survive on the strength of its gameplay and story alone, and, well...

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Harrow posted:

ArenaNet's utter refusal to add new armor sets to the game (instead of gem shop outfits) completely kills it for me, honestly. When the game launched, endgame was fashion--the whole point to doing dungeons or Arah events was to get new, cool armor skins that you could mix and match. Since launch, they've added a single-digit number of new armor sets that you can earn through gameplay, and let's not forget that's over the course of almost 5 years. (They did just add legendary armor, but, well, I'll get to that.)

Ultimately, that now means that the goal of endgame--no matter what you're doing--is generally grinding for legendary items. Legendary weapons, legendary backpacks, and now legendary armor. But they all take thousands of gold to make--side issue, but the all-importance of gold in GW2 saps a lot of the fun for me as well--so they're all very long-term goals for anyone who plays even remotely casually. And that's fine! I have no problem with really long-term rewards or "hardcore" rewards existing in the game. But when there's very little for anyone else to strive for, the game needs to survive on the strength of its gameplay and story alone, and, well...

They made the gold-gems market so technically everything is earnable in ga-ahahaha I can't even finish that sentence. Not adding new armor sets rewarded specifically through gameplay and then saying "but you can buy gems with gold so now all armor is for our real money currency" is actually the worst thing.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Go RV! posted:

There's been two major content droughts, but they're doing pretty great now. New major content is added every 2-3 months, with smaller story events added in between.

I'm gonna effort post a bit here in the bad mmo thread, sorry.

This is true, but their dungeons weren't that good anyway, and they realized that. They've shifted to Fractals, which are better.

This isn't true. Ascended gear was in the game from beta, just not implemented. They did really drop the ball in messaging that, though. There's been no other armor tiers added in the 4 years since then, and they've been adamant it will never happen.

I don't know about WoW zones, so I can't compare there, but I doubt that's true! The Maguuma wastes maps were like that, but all the expansion zones were decently sized, but very vertical and very dense.

Since then, every Living Story update has had a small map released with it, at least comparable with the entire Wastes map. So, that's 5 new ones since the expansion, plus another one on the way, and then another expansion (images were already leaked and these new zones are pretty big).

Which was reworked after criticism and readded. WvW is now the two classic Alpine map and then one Desert.

It's more a sub-class for each class, with core class mechanics being changed. There's a new one for each class coming each expansion.

Each sub-class gets a weapon the class couldn't otherwise use, so new weapon options are still being added. Though they have not straight up added a brand new weapon type, that's true.

Mostly true, but there are new ability mechanics added, like an extra downed state ability and context sensitive ability key that does stuff.

There is too much stuff in the gem store versus regular play, but there is new stuff added decently often. It is a problem though.

That may have been true at launch, but there's a fair number of builds that don't use expansion content, assuming you're talking about PvP.

It's definitely not a perfect game or anything, but there's been lots of improvements, and honestly right now is a real good streak for the game.

The first expansion was kinda content-light, but it added a ton of features to the game which improved it lot, and the content there was was pretty good. They've cleaned up a lot of it to make it even better. The next expansion is going to be announced in a month or two. It's improved a lot since the Heart of Thorns release. (Part of the problem seems to have been incompetent management, and there's been a lot of changes in leadership, which seems to have helped the game a lot.)

That said, if you've got base problems with the gameplay or class structure/lack of trinity, the game still isn't going to be for you. It's not a fundamentally different game.

i'm not sure your nose could be further in arena net's arse if you tried

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Crumpet posted:

i'm not sure your nose could be further in arena net's arse if you tried

There's plenty of problems with the game, and but it's in a pretty good place right now and I'm generally optimistic about it's future :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I think that it's dishonest to be okay with people posting long lists of claims about a game but mocking people who are responding to those claims with counterarguments

i haven't played gw2 in two years or so, so for all I know maybe the situation really is as bad as claimed, but RVs post didn't seems like it deserves being called Arenanet apologism

I mean, this is the wildstar thread, anyone regular here should know how that looks like, especially if you saw the prerelease discussion

• Locked thread