Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Taken from the Cute thread in PYF:

I still stuns me that the US takes cheques for things.

In Australia there's only two things you'd buy with a cheque - a car or a house.

You can use cash or card or get the gently caress out with that 18th century bullshit.

There was an article a few years ago about companies wising up to horrible customers like this and banning them because they realised that having to deal with their endless bullshit was costing them far more money than they were bringing in.

Sadly, it didn't seem to catch on.

Literally only super-old people and scammers still use checks in the US. I was actually the only one in the store who knew how to take one and so that was one of my duties, which was fine; I'd just pull them off to the secret register and do it there so they didn't hold up the line for 10 minutes.

Talking about national money thing differences: I like the convenience of the little ATM pinpads they bring you at restaurants and poo poo in Europe/Canada, but they can be slow as balls since they're running on cell networks, and despite the fact that I'm a solid tipper, it's always awkward that the waitstaff gets to see what I left for a tip before I leave the table. (If you don't know, in the US when you pay with a card they take the card away, run it in the back, and bring it back to you with the completed receipt, and then you write how much of a tip to leave. The downside is that the tip sometimes hits as a charge days later, so you'll see like $60 the night you ate and then $15 from the tip a few days later).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Kelp Me! posted:

Talking about national money thing differences: I like the convenience of the little ATM pinpads they bring you at restaurants and poo poo in Europe/Canada, but they can be slow as balls since they're running on cell networks, and despite the fact that I'm a solid tipper, it's always awkward that the waitstaff gets to see what I left for a tip before I leave the table. (If you don't know, in the US when you pay with a card they take the card away, run it in the back, and bring it back to you with the completed receipt, and then you write how much of a tip to leave. The downside is that the tip sometimes hits as a charge days later, so you'll see like $60 the night you ate and then $15 from the tip a few days later).

I've seen a few chains start using little tablet things at people's tables- I feel like they used to do more things like ordering and calling your waiter and even dumb iPad-esque games you can pay to play with while you're waiting, and now it just seems like if they use them at all it's usually just so you can pay/tip with your card at the table without having to hand it off to anyone.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

Literally only super-old people and scammers still use checks in the US. I was actually the only one in the store who knew how to take one and so that was one of my duties, which was fine; I'd just pull them off to the secret register and do it there so they didn't hold up the line for 10 minutes.

I mean, I'm a contractor technically so I get physical work checks to deposit them I don't feel like that's too weird

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Taken from the Cute thread in PYF:

I still stuns me that the US takes cheques for things.

In Australia there's only two things you'd buy with a cheque - a car or a house.

You can use cash or card or get the gently caress out with that 18th century bullshit.

The correct word is "checks". :)

Ugh... I work in the building materials industry. Everyone still loving pays with checks. Thankfully most of them are business checks and not personal, but still checks nonetheless.

US payment and money systems are just behind in general. Look at any US bank.. A fee for this, a fee for that... Want to transfer money to someone at a different bank? That'll be a $20 transfer fee! We are also just now implementing EMV credit cards, and so many retailers managed to gently caress it up so badly. (20 second+ processing times.)

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My favorite thing around here is that banks finally change over to chips, send out new cards and 90% of retailers around here have an index card jammed in the chip reader with a note instructing the customer to swipe.

USA #1

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Kelp Me! posted:

Landlords.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When I was working in a grocery store in Alaska with a week left to go I had a customer do the, "If it doesn't scan the first time it's free!" joke.

"Actually I have to charge you 20 dollars."

*customer looks aghast.

"Yeah, I hate that policy, but what are you going to do?"

"I can't believe-"

"Just kidding!"

For some baffling reason they didn't find that joke very funny. :iiam:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

My standard response used to be a deadpan "I'm sorry sir/ma'am, that promotion ended last week." They really loved that one.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Man, I can't tell you guys how happy I am this thread has gotten to 15 pages and no one has mentioned Gord.

Also, back when I was a register monkey at the grocery store, I had an old guy eat a banana in my line, then take out his dentures and lick off any remaining banana residue. Eww.

Haha, that owns actually.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Had one of those thank you Jesus I'm not in retail anymore moments last night- some guy at Aldis held up the register for 10 minutes trying to return moldy bananas. "I only bought them last Tuesday!". Eventually they just pulled out 75 cents from the register and handed it to him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have never worked retail (paid my dues in call center tech support), but I have two retail customer stories:

1) I was wearing an Umbreon hoodie (yeah I'm a dweeb), jeans, and flats, shopping at Burlington Coat Factory on an unseasonably cool day. I'd already been harassed by multiple people over my choice not to wear a heavier coat/boots/whatever. This lady came up to me asking "Where are your socks?" and I replied "In my apartment." She then cursed me out for being rude and not helping her, because apparently people with earbuds in their ear wearing novelty hoodies look like employees.

2) I was wearing a purple & black striped hoodie, shopping at CVS. Some lady came up to me and asked me where the shampoo was. If it hadn't been my first time in that particular CVS, I would have just told her, but I just said I didn't work there and she apologized.

Thankfully I no longer seem to give off an employee vibe wherever I go.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Arven posted:

Had one of those thank you Jesus I'm not in retail anymore moments last night- some guy at Aldis held up the register for 10 minutes trying to return moldy bananas. "I only bought them last Tuesday!". Eventually they just pulled out 75 cents from the register and handed it to him.

Had I been in line behind him I would've just thrown a handful of change at him and told him to hit the fuckin bricks

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have never worked retail (paid my dues in call center tech support), but I have two retail customer stories:

1) I was wearing an Umbreon hoodie (yeah I'm a dweeb), jeans, and flats, shopping at Burlington Coat Factory on an unseasonably cool day. I'd already been harassed by multiple people over my choice not to wear a heavier coat/boots/whatever. This lady came up to me asking "Where are your socks?" and I replied "In my apartment." She then cursed me out for being rude and not helping her, because apparently people with earbuds in their ear wearing novelty hoodies look like employees.

2) I was wearing a purple & black striped hoodie, shopping at CVS. Some lady came up to me and asked me where the shampoo was. If it hadn't been my first time in that particular CVS, I would have just told her, but I just said I didn't work there and she apologized.

Thankfully I no longer seem to give off an employee vibe wherever I go.

I used to work at Kohl's several years ago for a while and my standard attire was a hoodie, so I believe this checks out. I wasn't allowed to wear a hoodie at any other retail jobs though, but they never cared at Kohl's.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I used to work at Kohl's several years ago for a while and my standard attire was a hoodie, so I believe this checks out. I wasn't allowed to wear a hoodie at any other retail jobs though, but they never cared at Kohl's.

All the people at Kohl's always seem pretty laid-back. I love that store, last big find was a Hugo Boss sport coat that fit me like a drat glove, marked down to like $20.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Not a real story, but this might be one of the most rear end in a top hat-ish things that I do deflect customers

when I get someone who I can tell has no interest in beer
("Can you recommend a certain kind of beer to me?"
"Well what does the person you're buying f-"
"Ohh what about this one? It has a funny label")

Or I know doesn't buy alcohol or anything from my department, I might actually just lie and tell them I don't drink in order to skip the headache of trying to impart what little knowledge I know onto someone who doesn't care or has no real use for it.
Last night this old couple, whom I know don't drink, comes through and the obnoxious and not particularly bright woman asks me "WHAT'S WITH THAT SWEET STOUT?? IS THAT LIKE A SWEET BEER?"

Idk maybe I'm just a jerkass but there was literally no way to start and end that conversation without without me wanting to kill her.

If nothing else, it's not as though I'm really required to be knowledgeable of product- it's more or less a courtesy I provide because I'm a drunk. :cheers:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Kelp Me! posted:

All the people at Kohl's always seem pretty laid-back. I love that store, last big find was a Hugo Boss sport coat that fit me like a drat glove, marked down to like $20.

Kohl's was, by far, the least stressful retail job I ever worked. The managers were all pretty cool and left me alone for the most part. They didn't really push to do much more than ring up customers and occasionally organize the clearance section. Most of my co-workers were decent people who had a smile on their face too. It was still retail, sure, but it wasn't that bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

Not a real story, but this might be one of the most rear end in a top hat-ish things that I do deflect customers

when I get someone who I can tell has no interest in beer
("Can you recommend a certain kind of beer to me?"
"Well what does the person you're buying f-"
"Ohh what about this one? It has a funny label")

Or I know doesn't buy alcohol or anything from my department, I might actually just lie and tell them I don't drink in order to skip the headache of trying to impart what little knowledge I know onto someone who doesn't care or has no real use for it.
Last night this old couple, whom I know don't drink, comes through and the obnoxious and not particularly bright woman asks me "WHAT'S WITH THAT SWEET STOUT?? IS THAT LIKE A SWEET BEER?"

Idk maybe I'm just a jerkass but there was literally no way to start and end that conversation without without me wanting to kill her.

If nothing else, it's not as though I'm really required to be knowledgeable of product- it's more or less a courtesy I provide because I'm a drunk. :cheers:

I briefly worked at a liquor store and ranting/raving about beers was one of my favorite parts of the job. It also led to multiple (albeit uncommon) occasions where I sold someone on a new type of beer they hadn't tried and they left me 1 bottle out of the 6-pack as a thank-you.

Kohl's was, by far, the least stressful retail job I ever worked. The managers were all pretty cool and left me alone for the most part. They didn't really push to do much more than ring up customers and occasionally organize the clearance section. Most of my co-workers were decent people who had a smile on their face too. It was still retail, sure, but it wasn't that bad.

I feel like it's the department-store nature of it, as well as the fact that there are racks everywhere with totally random clearance stuff, so most people go in without a set plan like "ok I need 3 XL Dockers-brand slacks, etc." and more of a "well let's see what cool deals we can find" mentality. I think the only time I ever asked for help at Kohl's was to try to find a certain shoe size on an on-sale shoe.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

i mean, maybe, but i would think that a hoodie with a big rear end umbreon on it wouldn't be standard anywhere

edit: or a big rear end anything for that matter

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

I briefly worked at a liquor store and ranting/raving about beers was one of my favorite parts of the job. It also led to multiple (albeit uncommon) occasions where I sold someone on a new type of beer they hadn't tried and they left me 1 bottle out of the 6-pack as a thank-you.

Oh yeah! I've got regulars that I love talking to beer about and giving recs when they ask me, and I've had some good experiences from leading people in the right direction. Once, my old manager was upset with me for down selling the Flying Fish Saison and telling someone to just try a single of it instead of buying the whole six. He came back later and thanked me, agreeing that it was terrible, and glad that he didn't buy the whole pack. No free stuff, but there's a sense of satisfaction :unsmith:

I do get free stuff from samplings sometimes though ranging from swag to free beer. Got this kickass Yards bottle opener that could kill a man.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

Oh yeah! I've got regulars that I love talking to beer about and giving recs when they ask me, and I've had some good experiences from leading people in the right direction. Once, my old manager was upset with me for down selling the Flying Fish Saison and telling someone to just try a single of it instead of buying the whole six. He came back later and thanked me, agreeing that it was terrible, and glad that he didn't buy the whole pack. No free stuff, but there's a sense of satisfaction :unsmith:

I do get free stuff from samplings sometimes though ranging from swag to free beer. Got this kickass Yards bottle opener that could kill a man.

I'm lucky enough that I got in tight with the guys who run the liquor at the end of my street, so I get all kinds of sweet benefits including buying beer at cost, having the ability to return 5/6 or 3/4 of a pack of beer if it's truly vile (only happened twice so far), getting samples from the beer distributor passed on to me (one of the guys has a similar palate to mine and trusts my reviews when ordering new/experimental stuff), etc.

Hell, I asked them if they could get the Sixpoint Gose and within 2 weeks they had literally 5 different sour beers in stock. (This worked out as well for them as for me since apparently sour beers have been flying off the shelves lately).

It's a good store :)

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm lucky enough that I got in tight with the guys who run the liquor at the end of my street, so I get all kinds of sweet benefits including buying beer at cost, having the ability to return 5/6 or 3/4 of a pack of beer if it's truly vile (only happened twice so far), getting samples from the beer distributor passed on to me (one of the guys has a similar palate to mine and trusts my reviews when ordering new/experimental stuff), etc.

Hell, I asked them if they could get the Sixpoint Gose and within 2 weeks they had literally 5 different sour beers in stock. (This worked out as well for them as for me since apparently sour beers have been flying off the shelves lately).

It's a good store :)

Working with booze in NJ, now that's the dream. One day.
either that or poo poo starts changing where I live. I come from a very nearby state with utterly insane rules about alcohol.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

Working with booze in NJ, now that's the dream. One day.
either that or poo poo starts changing where I live. I come from a very nearby state with utterly insane rules about alcohol.

Yeah I went to college in PA too

Lucky for us there was a beer bar on the corner of campus that was somehow allowed to sell six-packs and had like 200+ beers :hellyeah:

I mean there was a packie's like 3 blocks away but it was still nice and convenient.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
PA liquor laws changing so that grocery stores can carry beer, but still being restrictive enough that there's a whole song and dance involved with the whole thing, is fascinating to me. You can only buy 6 packs, and only a maximum of 2 at once, and would have to physically leave the building and come back in to buy any more than that. You can only buy it between 8 AM and 10 PM, regardless of store hours, and you have to buy it at an entirely separate register from everything else in the store. They only in the last year or so relaxed a law that said you had to have it in a stapled-shut opaque bag.

Also, regardless of age, you had to present ID to buy any beer at all, and some people find this completely unacceptable. Someone basically got fired over this at my last job.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wow, I never ran into those restrictions at the bar by school. I don't remember a limit on 6 packs, even mixed sixers.

Maybe there's some loophole for bars or a certain kind or something? They didn't serve hard liquor at all, I know that.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

SpacePig posted:

PA liquor laws changing so that grocery stores can carry beer, but still being restrictive enough that there's a whole song and dance involved with the whole thing, is fascinating to me. You can only buy 6 packs, and only a maximum of 2 at once, and would have to physically leave the building and come back in to buy any more than that. You can only buy it between 8 AM and 10 PM, regardless of store hours, and you have to buy it at an entirely separate register from everything else in the store. They only in the last year or so relaxed a law that said you had to have it in a stapled-shut opaque bag.

Also, regardless of age, you had to present ID to buy any beer at all, and some people find this completely unacceptable. Someone basically got fired over this at my last job.

This is actually because most of these stores that carry beer (and now recently wine!) are under a "tavern" license. It's almost like a loophole for having hot food and a certain amount of seating.
These are the three BIG rules at my store.
-It's a maximum of 192 ounces that you're allowed to leave the store with
-Only beer, wine, and reasonably edible single-serving things may be rung out in my department
-I get a license, passport, or military ID with every purchase

These are all things that were gone over in my RAMP cert, although I'm vaguely certain the last one isn't a real law and it's more or less a widespread liability policy. I've had a couple department managers (who are usually pretty well informed on the law) tell me this. That and we also sell until 11, and the only thing that says we can't sell past 11 is our wine license, which doesn't include beer, so we could theoretically sell that until closing at midnight.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why make things so complex?

Here it's one question - are you over 18?

If so, you can walk out of the store with 500 bottle of scotch if you want - as long as you can pay for it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, the bar in question probably had that tavern certification thing then.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

If so, you can walk out of the store with 500 bottle of scotch if you want - as long as you can pay for it.

The short answer is money.

Now here's the longer one; there are just so many hands tied up in the state liquor stores and beer distributors now that nobody with an interest in those things want the laws to change. The ounce limit is so you'll defer to the distributor instead, and they were recently given MORE help by being allowed to sell 12s and I think 6s too when they could not before. There was a thing in the news two or three years ago about trying to get rid of state stores entirely and it just didn't happen. I mean I get the job loss there, but they could at least incentivize other businesses to hire former state store employees idk. It's a whole big thing.

Having to explain any of this to my customers, some of whom lived in PA all of their lives and have never bought beer at a location like mine before, makes it all the more entertaining when they throw a fit over politics they don't understand.

e: vvvvvvv this too.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 20, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holdover from temperance movements. Also, it's 21 in the states.

e: Oh, and taxes, like Starman said.

e2: When I first turned 21 and was sent on a beer run while down the shore in Jersey, I was surprised that I could get my dad's beer and my rum in the same store. Those are separate entities in PA.
That said, NJ is still a state that won't let folks pump their own gas, so they're not as great as they think because of their laxer liquor laws.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

The short answer is money.

Now here's the longer one; there are just so many hands tied up in the state liquor stores and beer distributors now that nobody with an interest in those things want the laws to change. The ounce limit is so you'll defer to the distributor instead, and they were recently given MORE help by being allowed to sell 12s and I think 6s too when they could not before. There was a thing in the news two or three years ago about trying to get rid of state stores entirely and it just didn't happen. I mean I get the job loss there, but they could at least incentivize other businesses to hire former state store employees idk. It's a whole big thing.

Having to explain any of this to my customers, some of whom lived in PA all of their lives and have never bought beer at a location like mine before, makes it all the more entertaining when they throw a fit over politics they don't understand.

it's not always about the money, sometimes it's just human stubbornness. See the above mentioned "Paramus is the most profitable town in the USA but its residents have steafastedly voted down any legislation that would repeal the Blue Laws forcing all retail to close on Sundays"

The malls are relatively isolated from the residential areas, too, so I have my doubts that it's a question of "we want 1 day a week of peace and quiet"

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

it's not always about the money, sometimes it's just human stubbornness. See the above mentioned "Paramus is the most profitable town in the USA but its residents have steafastedly voted down any legislation that would repeal the Blue Laws forcing all retail to close on Sundays"

The malls are relatively isolated from the residential areas, too, so I have my doubts that it's a question of "we want 1 day a week of peace and quiet"

I get that, but that's why I mentioned the law about 192 ounces. It's LITERALLY just so people will say "why would I go to the grocery store when I can go to the distributor and buy a case?". It was completely fabricated just to keep them from losing customers.

http://watchdog.org/238411/six-pack-pennsylvania-beer/ This article seems to make some interesting points.

quote:

Over time, though, the temperance movement has been replaced by some beer distributors’ desire to protect their businesses, said Richard Pluta, owner of Newport Beverage in Perry County. The Malt Beverage Distributors Association of Pennsylvania, which represents a portion of beer distributors, has indeed trumpeted its ability to thwart the expansion of case sales.

We've got our foot in the door though. That's what I tell reasonable people who get annoyed with me about the insane laws. It's a dated system and needs to change.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

That's kinda like how you are forbidden from pumping your own gas in NJ (which, admittedly, is nice when it's cold as balls outside)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Starman Super DX posted:

I get that, but that's why I mentioned the law about 192 ounces. It's LITERALLY just so people will say "why would I go to the grocery store when I can go to the distributor and buy a case?". It was completely fabricated just to keep them from losing customers.

http://watchdog.org/238411/six-pack-pennsylvania-beer/ This article seems to make some interesting points.

We've got our foot in the door though. That's what I tell reasonable people who get annoyed with me about the insane laws. It's a dated system and needs to change.

What's interesting is that distributors really only got the permission to do 12 packs and 6 packs after grocery stores were selling beer. Like, if you want a 6-pack, but your only option is a 30 or so, then whatever. But once you have the option to easily get a 6-pack, there's no real reason to go to a distributor unless you're having a party.

haljordan posted:

That's kinda like how you are forbidden from pumping your own gas in NJ (which, admittedly, is nice when it's cold as balls outside)

The first time I ever had my card info stolen was after the first time I ever had my gas pumped in NJ. I make sure to gas up fully before leaving for NJ, and will only gas up at Wawas otherwise.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've never really thought about it before, but does forced full service mean the prices for gas are higher in NJ? I live in Michigan, and have probably NEVER seen a full service station.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I've never really thought about it before, but does forced full service mean the prices for gas are higher in NJ? I live in Michigan, and have probably NEVER seen a full service station.

No it's almost always 20-30 cents cheaper per gallon than in NY (even for regular). Sometimes even more.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, it tends to be cheaper in NJ, but it also costs about $5 to cross basically every bridge back into PA, so unless you're looking to stay in Jersey for a bit, the savings are negligible.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's been 10 years since I worked in retail (thank God) but I had a few interesting and/or horrible experiences in the places I worked. These are UK, by the way.

Health food/'alternative medicine' shop
- Elderly lady lifts her skirt and says "What have you got to treat this?!". She had rather severe varicose veins. She really could've just told me; I didn't need to see that.

- Numerous men shopping for 'herbal viagra'. My personal favourite was a guy that insisted on speaking to me privately (I was the manager and the only guy that worked in the shop) and very quietly said "I need something to pleasure my woman."

- Old weird hippy lady that would not allow any items to be scanned with the barcode reader, because "the laser irradiates food and that causes cancer". Always took forever to serve her, typing in barcodes one by one.

- Not annoying, kind of cute: Carol Vorderman's mum, who was always really excited when her celebrity daughter was on the cover of the store magazine. Which was often. This was at the time when Carol Vorderman was on TV adverts every minute or so. Just really proud of her daughter I guess!

- 'Kinesiologist' lady. Kinesiology is a made up pile of poo poo that says you hold two identical things, one in each hand, arms outstretched and the arm that gets tired first is holding the inferior product. Or something. She'd do this for upwards of 20 minutes, trying each jar of honey until she found the 'right' one.

- Scientologist guy that often asked employees about 'natural cures' for depression, then try to recruit anybody that said they'd tried them ("I'm in a group that can really help treat depression, you should come along for a chat!")

- a nice story: Little girl, maybe 8 or 9, that knocked on the door a few minutes after I'd locked up for the night, two days before Christmas. She just wanted some Brazil nuts, so I let her in. She was short 5p, and when I told her she looked like she was going to cry, so I put 5p in the register from my pocket (not that I cared if the register was 5p short, I was just being a bit theatrical). She and her mum come back the next day - Christmas Eve, with a card for me. There was a £5 note inside!

- Kindly old British celebrity that I used to chat with a lot and always got on really well with. Is currently serving time for sexually assaulting little girls. Whoops.

Video game shop
- Psychotic guy that wanted a refund on a game that was clearly used and not even purchased from my store. Told me he'd knife me if I didn't give him his money back, because unless he got the money he wouldn't be able to afford to take his kid swimming and he'd promised, damnit! Then he realised that he purchased it from a different store and left.

- A kid comes in and tries to buy GTA or something. Video games in the UK with an age rating are legally not allowed to be sold to anyone underage. GTA is an 18, the kid was maybe 13 or 14. You can go to prison for breaking this law, so everyone is super careful. I refuse the sale, and he leaves. He comes back with his mum a bit later, and she's in the queue tutting and muttering 'unbelievable'. Gets super irate at me about how she'd given him permission to buy the game, and that should be enough. Doesn't care if I get fined or imprisoned for breaking the law. Starts yelling about how she's parked on double-yellow lines outside the shop and is going to get fined and that's my fault apparently.

- It was store policy to advise parents of content in age-rated games if they were clearly buying them for kids. So we'd say how GTA had extreme violence, bad language, drugs, prostitution etc. Very rarely would a parent change their mind about buying it. One customer told her son"You have to play this one with the sound off so you don't hear bad words". This kid could not have been older than 10, and I'm thinking "drat, really? THAT'S the bit that concerns you?"

- Goony teenage guy that would stand near the PC games telling anyone that walked by to buy WoW and join his guild. He smelled really bad.

- When Guitar Hero 3 was new we threw a little contest. I was really good at it for some reason, so my boss got me to dress up like Slash and promote the game. People could come and play with friends, or they could challenge me and get a discount if they beat me (they could pick the song but had to play on the highest difficulty, same as me). Only one guy beat me and of course it was loving Dragonforce. Well played, kid.

- Girl that worked at Subway that gave me free/cheap sandwiches for like a year because I saved her a Wii the Christmas they came out. She used to stop by with leftover cookies for me too and chat a bit. I figured she was into me, and she was kind of cute, and I was recently single, so I asked if she fancied getting a drink after work. Turned out she was 16. I was 21. gently caress! Still got free stuff afterwards though so I don't think she thought I was being a creep.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Even with the recent gas tax (something like $0.23/gallon) in NJ, it's still cheaper than surrounding states. PA is a different story, but I live a 10 minute drive/work a 5 minute walk from the NJ/NY border, and even at the Costco in NY where gas is a good $.10 cheaper than anywhere else, it's still $.20-.40/gallon more expensive than in NJ.

Also the full-service thing is archaic as hell and nobody follows it. Between 2013-2017 exactly 3 tickets were written in the entire state for pumping your own gas. Fun fact: it's not you who gets the ticket, but the gas station owner, so even if the law was enforced, it's not your problem. Thankfully it's not enforced at all and I can pump my own gas with no issue. I got yelled at one time a few years ago, but more often than not the attendant acknowledges the fact that you saved them the effort.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

My favorite thing around here is that banks finally change over to chips, send out new cards and 90% of retailers around here have an index card jammed in the chip reader with a note instructing the customer to swipe.

USA #1

I just finished replacing our last batch of non-EMV capable pin pads today. Only 2 years after the supposed industry deadline.

Our POS software provider wasnt ready until December of 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

stevewm posted:

I just finished replacing our last batch of non-EMV capable pin pads today. Only 2 years after the supposed industry deadline.

Our POS software provider wasnt ready until December of 2016.

It's still hilarious to me that my 60 some year old IT teacher two or three years ago argued and insisted that "smart cars will be in every major city by 2025" or something insane like that. I'm all for it, but realistically, it will take much, much, MUCH longer for America to roll out anything even resembling that. I mean jesus around here when they start working on a bridge it has to go out of service entirely for three years minimum

• Locked thread