Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RedSpider posted:

Better gently caress Chuck. gently caress that rear end in a top hat. He made everyone around him miserable, just like his brother. At least Saul is charming when he does it. I'm glad Chuck is gone. Good loving riddance.

You also don't think suicidal people should have access to suicide prevention hotlines so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Steve2911 posted:

Because... Suicide?

Cracking finale, great season. I fully maintain that Chuck is a loving tragic character and that anyone repeating 'Better gently caress Chuck' after this are advocating that the mentally ill end their own lives to spare the rest of us. You cunts.

Barely any of his rear end in a top hat nature was from his mental illness. Most of the reason why people hate him is because he's a terrible person. When Howard gave him a nice out to leave with his dignity in tact, Chuck immediately goes into lawyer mode and threatens to sue HHM. Chuck made Howard screw over Kim as well as Jimmy. None of that has to do with him thinking he is allergic to electricity.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder if Chuck had a will. Somebody is getting a chunk of HHM, and if there isn't a will then Jimmy is the heir. I would think he would have a will since he's a lawyer with significant assets. However, he has a huge ego and may have considered it an admission of weakness to admit that he could possibly die.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

You also don't think suicidal people should have access to suicide prevention hotlines so...

This is false. I said having a suicide prevention hotline appear on the screen after a fictional character on a TV show kills himself was unartistic, and frankly, quite baffling. It took me out of the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can you guys believe that they actually acknowledged that the characters in this show aren't actually real and then callously listed who plays each character? What about my immersion?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If it helps I'm sure they did it as a means to avoid getting sued and not because they actually are worried people are going to kill themselves. If they were worried about that they wouldn't have filmed it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Konstantin posted:

I have to wonder if Chuck had a will. Somebody is getting a chunk of HHM, and if there isn't a will then Jimmy is the heir. I would think he would have a will since he's a lawyer with significant assets. However, he has a huge ego and may have considered it an admission of weakness to admit that he could possibly die.

It'd probably be a payout and I'll bet Two Hot Tamales Chuck left some will behind stipulating that Jimmy don't get poo poo

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'd imagine Chuck's estate would go to his ex-wife.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it helps I'm sure they did it as a means to avoid getting sued and not because they actually are worried people are going to kill themselves. If they were worried about that they wouldn't have filmed it.

This says a lot about how terrible our legal system is, if anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

That DICK! posted:

It'd probably be a payout and I'll bet Two Hot Tamales Chuck left some will behind stipulating that Jimmy don't get poo poo

Knowing Chuck, his will says that upon his death, HHM must cease operations and his share of the assets must be buried with him.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Konstantin posted:

Season 4 - The Adventures of Hamlin Hamlin Goodman

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If we take Hamlin at face value then Chuck's estate is the size of one of those Ozymandias barrels.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RedSpider posted:

This is false. I said having a suicide prevention hotline appear on the screen after a fictional character on a TV show kills himself was unartistic, and frankly, quite baffling. It took me out of the show.

TURN: WASHINGTON'S SPIES of course being an in-universe show airing in that timeline's 2003.

RedSpider posted:

This says a lot about how terrible our legal system is, if anything.

Eh, the law leans on the side of providing victims/families an out if there really is a guilty party, which is imo the better way to go.

People getting pressured or lead into suicide is a thing that happens, after all. TV shows are a stretch and Chuck's prolly not the kind of suicide that would inspire anyone but there is an argument to be made against shows that glamorize suicide or make it seem artsy, or a sweet way to get vengeance on those jerks at school, or whatever. Much like rapes or wars or anything else than can potentially be dramatized to look not-horrible, filmmakers should consider strongly before throwing it on screen instead of having it alluded to.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 20, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RedSpider posted:

I didn't see it on Netflix. Was it before the credits? Because anything after the credits start rolling and the network starts screaming about lovely TV is fair game.

It's called human compassion. A shitload of shows come with 'if you've been affected by the horrible traumatic events in this episode then call this number' at the end. How can you be taken out of a show that is over?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'd imagine Chuck's estate would go to his ex-wife.

Maybe if it's willed to her but ex-wife is a big qualifier there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn't see the suicide disclaimer because :lol: if you still watch this on cable tv with the all the ads.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Solice Kirsk posted:

He still carries a torch for her, I think. I bet he's even so much of a wiener to leave her as the beneficiary on his life insurance.

Chuck didn't want Jimmy to have a law degree. No way did he write down "I want Jimmy to have 8 million dollars/my stake in HHM"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who else would Chuck will it to? I find it hard to believe he would leave an accidental way for Jimmy to profit off his hard HHM work.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not having a will would be the first way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I give Chuck a bit more credit than "forgot to make a will."

My mom isn't planning on dying for the next 40 years or so and she has a will. I have a feeling super-lawyer Chuck has one too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

RedSpider posted:

Jesus Christ.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

My mom isn't planning on dying for the next 40 years or so and she has a will. I have a feeling super-lawyer Chuck has one too.

Maybe Chuck is like those doctors who tell people to be healthy but don't follow their own advice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I imagine his lack of a will would be down to both arrogance and not having anyone to leave anything to.

Unless he left it all to HHM, the firm he loved more than anything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

You're probably right. It doesn't look like Saul has $8mil in BB and that would take a level of stupidity to lose that much in 5 years that we haven't seen from him yet.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So who's going to run the Salamanca's business now with Tuco still in prison and Hector incapacitated?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At the very least it'd be something for Jimmy to fight over and debauch himself for.

Also it might explain why Chuck's ex showed up briefly in the season but ultimately didn't do much besides tsk tsk Jimmy. Having him leave Hamlin's settlement money to her would be a good way for the story to bring her back and more importantly give her something to do. Also could get Hamlin involved in the story.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're probably right. It doesn't look like Saul has $8mil in BB and that would take a level of stupidity to lose that much in 5 years that we haven't seen from him yet.

Kim hustled him for all he's worth. He taught her the tricks of the trade and she played the long con. That car accident? Just one bullet point of the plan.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Chuck's will contains a stipulation that Jimmy will receive the majority of his estate as long as he takes the last piece of advice Chuck gave him. :getin:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Best part of the episode was Hamlin and his masterstroke :potg:

RentACop posted:

Jimmy is like reverse jesus

Finally got to see the finale and I think this is my favorite post I've read during the reaction phase of the thread

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Chuck probably left his estate to charity, particularly something like the Opera or the Symphony.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Don't assume that Chuck is dead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Don't assume that Chuck is dead.

I honestly don't think he is. There's that conversation at the start of the episode, where the younger Chuck assures Jimmy that the character in the book they're reading will survive the cliffhanger. Same deal here.

(Also, Chuck's mental health mirror's Jimmy's morality. Jimmy took a step back from the brink, Chuck will too.)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Death by immolation does require a ton of personal commitment. On the other hand Chuck was sitting in the middle of a massive pile of kindling, it'd be one heck of a feat to outrun those flames.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Open Source Idiom posted:

I honestly don't think he is. There's that conversation at the start of the episode, where the younger Chuck assures Jimmy that the character in the book they're reading will survive the cliffhanger. Same deal here.

(Also, Chuck's mental health mirror's Jimmy's morality. Jimmy took a step back from the brink, Chuck will too.)

I didn't make that connection but that is an excellent observation. And also the last two season finale cliffhangers ended up being a bit of a fakeout. Season 1 ends with Jimmy stating he will be playing dirty and for himself from now on, not taking the job at Davis & Main, and riding off into the sunset to 'Smoke on the Water.' Season 2 opener: Nope, just kidding, he actually took the job.

Season 2 ends with the implication that Jimmy is in deep legal poo poo from the recording alone, and surely this will send him spiraling toward becoming a criminal lawyer. Season 3 begins with the recording itself being pretty much useless.

Side note, I'm amazed at how much the actor playing teenage Chuck sounds like him.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Death by immolation does require a ton of personal commitment. On the other hand Chuck was sitting in the middle of a massive pile of kindling, it'd be one heck of a feat to outrun those flames.

The smoke inhalation would probably do it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Kim hustled him for all he's worth. He taught her the tricks of the trade and she played the long con. That car accident? Just one bullet point of the plan.

You have to admit that if Vince Gilligan somehow pulled this off we would all collectively lose our minds

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

"James McGill" never becomes Saul. Chuck gets horribly disfigured in the fire but lives, spending all his money on reconstructive surgery turning him into a look alike. With no savings left, he turns back to the law to feed himself, only this time on the bad side in a Two Face scenario. That's why Saul looks older in BB.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Chuck's not dead" is so unbelievably stupid and I can't even be mad about it, because the people who think that have been conditioned by schlock to never believe that someone's dead unless they see a body, and sometimes not even then.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
SHOW THE BODY VINCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The first scene of next season is a panning shot of Chuck's charred corpse stood up in a casket leaning against a wall with people getting their picture taken next to it.

• Locked thread