Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nebakenezzer posted:

Rudolf Hess and Joseph Goebbels would make an awful/hilarious choice for a "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" remake

Ve had two bags of amfetamin, seventy-five pellets of more amfetamin, five sheets of minature swastikas, a salt shaker half full of amfetamin, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, blitzers, funnies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

SplitSoul posted:

Ve had two bags of amfetamin, seventy-five pellets of more amfetamin, five sheets of minature swastikas, a salt shaker half full of amfetamin, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, blitzers, funnies...

Ve were somewhere around Stalingrad on the edge of the Eastern Front when the Red Army began to take hold.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Surely though FOX news will blame

not republicans

Actually that's interesting now that I think about it. If the horrible health care bill passes, will (poor) Trump voters realize they've been conned?

I'm not optimistic. Star Citizen shows that you can ride whales for a really long time, because admitting you were conned is something nobody likes to admit

The difference between Trump and Romney or McCain is 2-3 million marginal voters who turned out for Trump, out of his 63 million total voters. They turned out for him largely because he's promised to make their lives better, and they don't have to admit that they've been conned to not turn out to vote in 2020 (or 2018 for that matter). It could be as simple as "Trump underestimated how powerful The Swamp was and he can't drain it" or "Trump was corrupted by The Washington Establishment" or "Trump's allies sold him out" or whatever other rationalization they have for him not doing what he promised. If he fails to deliver for those voters, it'll be 2008 Obama vs. 2012 Obama, only with Trump having far fewer voters that he can afford to lose.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Business Gorillas posted:

Mods give me a sixer with this as the reason tia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you're welcome

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/allofhertrout/status/876924730330296320

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

you're welcome

:lol: this made me laugh way too hard for some reason.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

would, wouldn't

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This makes me want to be a bureaucrat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIYfiRyPi3o&t=138s

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That's a known risk for Americans who watch Yes Minister. The slow dawning realization of "wait, wait...so they have people...whose job it is...to know how to do things right? :aaa:"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's a known risk for Americans who watch Yes Minister. The slow dawning realization of "wait, wait...so they have people...whose job it is...to know how to do things right? :aaa:"

I've only seen clips so far and it's so gooood

My favorite is this clip which both beautifully demonstrates the socratic method and expertly explains 'Salami Tactics' (like how Putin invaded Ukraine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbFk4viTSQ

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
yes minister / yes prime minister was written by one left wing guy and one right wing guy, with the right wing perspective being that the undemocratic elitist civil service establishment was too powerful

there's a reason Thatcher loved it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

yes minister / yes prime minister was written by one left wing guy and one right wing guy, with the right wing perspective being that the undemocratic elitist civil service establishment was too powerful

there's a reason Thatcher loved it

As an American, I'm confused

Is there any real ideology going on in Britian's civil service? I'd think the politicians would mostly ignore them, the same way ours mostly ignore federal employees

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dreddout posted:

As an American, I'm confused

Is there any real ideology going on in Britian's civil service? I'd think the politicians would mostly ignore them, the same way ours mostly ignore federal employees

lots of conservatives (across many countries) are quite happy to weaken the bureaucracy; think of why Trump leaving a huge number of appointments empty, for example

the modern idea of the deep state isn't a million miles from how the civil service is portrayed in the show

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

lots of conservatives (across many countries) are quite happy to weaken the bureaucracy; think of why Trump leaving a huge number of appointments empty, for example

i thinkn its because he's an idiot rather than any ideological reason

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

"they don't do anything important and I don't want people I can't control in positions of nominal power" covers both bases

Thatcher wrote some loving awful Yes Minister fanfic and then got the actual actors to perform it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaX_DgHZkM

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Jose posted:

I think Trump believes the propaganda, and the propaganda's written by these guys:

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
reagan and thatcher broke the brains of two whole generations

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jose posted:

also possibly (in part) because nobody wants to work in the donald trump administration

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never met a government worker here in Europe who wasn't left wing.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

JOBS!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

ah, good to see it wasn't terrorism, just a lone wolf

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

oliwan posted:

I know you were really proud of that line but they call it terrorism in the first column

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hot Times take: This attack could have been prevented if wed stopped all the eastern Europeans coming here and taking the jobs.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

walgreenslatino posted:

I know you were really proud of that line but they call it terrorism in the first column

headlines and columns are the same thing

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
https://twitter.com/aejelacic/status/877157780943028225

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Accretionist posted:

I think Trump believes the propaganda, and the propaganda's written by these guys:

what we didn't know is that he wanted big government out of OUR VAPING RIGHTS

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oliwan posted:

If he wasn't part of a larger terrorist group, then it was a lone wolf attack. That's what that term means

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVyjrV9w6I

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Doctor Spaceman posted:

the modern idea of the deep state isn't a million miles from how the civil service is portrayed in the show

The deep state is what Trump and Bannondorf whine about when they can't do whatever they want because it'd be illegal and against 100 years of legal precedent

I mean I know what you are saying; there's just a part of me that has to point this out that in one sense at least, the "deep state" is something morons blame for their failures, a made up entity.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
And it's an existing term.

Deep State describes a state-within-a-state (with military/intelligence connotations) which either doesn't or doesn't really answer to civilian government. Turkey, Pakistan and the USSR are/were prime examples of states with robust Deep States.

Trump & Co. are basically just using it to mean, "We're not an incompetent administration fighting against how things normally work, experiencing the resistance of the established process. We're experience the resistance of Obama and his people!"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Accretionist posted:

And it's an existing term.

Deep State describes a state-within-a-state (with military/intelligence connotations) which either doesn't or doesn't really answer to civilian government. Turkey, Pakistan and the USSR are/were prime examples of states with robust Deep States.

Trump & Co. are basically just using it to mean, "We're not an incompetent administration fighting against how things normally work, experiencing the resistance of the established process. We're experience the resistance of Obama and his people!"

Interesting. I didn't know 'deep state' had respectable roots.

It does amuse me though with Trump etc because CULTURE OF RESPONSIBILITY IN ACTION - our incompetence is other people's fault

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

what we didn't know is that he wanted big government out of OUR VAPING RIGHTS

see that liquid flooding the city? it's e-juice

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/877290061611585536

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

I don't think I'll ever not laugh at one of those

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that this picture exists to make these possible is the best part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/380kmh/status/876245175995125762