Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I had to get out 6 last night after watching Le Mans this weekend and watching the F7 stuff.

Ran a night race, promptly rear ended a car and knocked out the headlights, still managed to podium. I miss the serious-business Forza. Horizons is fun, but just doesn't scratch that itch for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Chances of Road Atlanta going away are slim to none, it's one of the handful of tracks that has been in every single Forza Motorsport game since its inception. It also shares this place with Laguna Seca and Silverstone. (With Road America and Nurburgring maintaining this via post-launch DLC)

"The Snakes" stayed exclusive to FM2. May they rest in piss with New York.

Circuit of the Americas can eat it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the snake tracks were also in forza 3

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

financially racist posted:

the snake tracks were also in forza 3
They actually weren't, the Ladera test tracks were not the same ones.

... Unless they were added as a DLC that is no longer obtainable. Which sounds like is the case. The wiki (which is already pretty light on FM3 info as it is) does say it existed in 3, doesn't say that it was a DLC though. Sidewinder proving grounds does not appear in my copy of the game even with the second disc installed so it must have been an add-on.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 20, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
CoTA annoys me for so many reasons. It's difficult to follow because it has so many blind corners. It's visually dull. It runs like a computer's idea of what makes a good track.

I kinda hate it.

I still think LeMans Bugatti is not so bad.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

My favorite part of the bugatti circuit is when you take a hairpin.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

or, god forbid, the somehow even worse than motegi tilke-ified fuji.

Now don't say things you can't take back. (The last segment isn't great but it actually has verticality and some long awesome sweepers. It's me, the Fuji Speedway apologist)

But you're correct Motegi is soulless and bad and hey, remember when it was DLC? Yikes.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I just want the good tracks for sideways stuff

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So every time I reinstall FH3 I get depressed because the rear end-expensive version didn't include the expansions, and then I buy a new muscle car and drive it stock until I'm happy, but are any of the expansions actually good? Are they worth the money and are they ever on sale?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

So every time I reinstall FH3 I get depressed because the rear end-expensive version didn't include the expansions, and then I buy a new muscle car and drive it stock until I'm happy, but are any of the expansions actually good? Are they worth the money and are they ever on sale?
They're kinda worth it. Well, if you like offroading in snow or wanted to play FH3 like it was a mock F-Zero on elevated track. You should've asked this like 24 hours ago or last week when the FH3 expansion pass actually was on sale for $17.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 21, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Hey as long as it's ever on sale I'm happy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Hot Wheels is good. Blizzard Mountain is fine and Porsche is "ehhh just get the FM6 version if you care about this."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I bought the expansion pass and really could have done without. Snow was fun for a bit but I'm a hyper car / GT / prototype fanboy and what little representation they have in FH3 (due to 30fps making them uncomfortable to drive) disappears. Didn't play Hot Wheels because I don't want to drive around in automatic on account of boost pads.

Save your money and get the ultimate FM7 edition.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I only paid $15 for the expansion pass because I converted a shitload of Bing reward points into Microsoft store credit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Forza 6 looks really nice on a 4K tv. That's on the OG xbone. Does the S upscaler do that much of a better job? I find that hard to believe.

And I'd love to hear T10 talk Forza 7 on non-X consoles. They haven't said much beyond "7 looks better than 6".

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm sure it's 1080 60 instead of 4k 60

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

I'm sure it's 1080 60 instead of 4k 60

Well yea. Gameplay footage would be good to see.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

cowboy elvis posted:

Well yea. Gameplay footage would be good to see.

Yep, but that original Xbone can do 60 frames and support dynamic weather ( GTA already does this) we're all good. 60 FPS and 4K is fine for later models.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TheScott2K posted:

I've always felt this way about Long Beach

Long Beach is fun. But yiu have to accept it for what is in multiplayer. Theres gonna be a lot of contact on that track.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Save your money and get the ultimate FM7 edition.

but then what will i do when they release Michael Bay's Transformers™ Daytona™ dlc and it turns out it's not included in the ultimate edition eh

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just buy every videogame you have any whim for ever, post about it to annoy people here, and then continue on with your life never having missed that $15, in fact, at all.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
4k is just another gimmick, but this time its a stupid, resource hogging gimmick. I'd much rather they cared more about 60fps @ 1080p with all games than "oooooo look at the resolution!"

The only reason I would want 4k is in a VR headset to nullify the screen door effect, but that'll take time both in the technology for the panels and getting a PC/console beefy enough to do two 4k panels.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like ranting about 4k being a gimmick and then talking about VR which is the biggest lovely gimmick ever.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

geeves posted:

Yep, but that original Xbone can do 60 frames and support dynamic weather ( GTA already does this) we're all good. 60 FPS and 4K is fine for later models.

GTA having dynamic weather doesn't mean anything to Forza. GTA III on the PS2 had "dynamic weather." There's not some "dynamic weather" checkbox on a list of hardware specs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I like ranting about 4k being a gimmick and then talking about VR which is the biggest lovely gimmick ever.

But it's a cool and fun gimmick. Unlike having a 46" 4K TV that looks exactly the same as your 46" 1080p TV because it's still sitting 20 feet away across your living room.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
VR seemed like a great idea right up until they paired it with the dumb motion controls they all have. It would be great if they just combined VR headsets with a normal keyboard and mouse and/or a normal gamepad. I think it's the motion controls paired with the VR motion controller hand gear that makes the whole experience kind of dumb and gimmicky.

Just imagine being able to play most games exactly like you can now, but with a fully spherical 3D monitor wrapped around your head. That's what VR should be. Hell I wouldn't even care if on most games there were absolutely no motion controls at all, but instead you just controlled your directional focus with a controller like people do now, while your headset just serves as a normal 3D monitor.

I keep wondering when developers will wise up and I only add VR support for headsets to their games but nothing else.

Even with the game like Forza, the motion controls could be optional. I mean games where you sit in a moving structure are basically perfect for VR though, so this is one of the few instances where I think the headset motion controls should work properly, but if I played a Forza game with a VR headset, I'd still like to use a normal gamepad or wheel, and I'd like the ability to turn motion controls on the headset on or off.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 21, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Right now I don't see a reason to get the Xbox One X. I am very positive Forza 7 on Xbox One S will play at 60fps 1080p, and even then there is the Windows version to try out and see how that performs on my system.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Cojawfee posted:

But it's a cool and fun gimmick. Unlike having a 46" 4K TV that looks exactly the same as your 46" 1080p TV because it's still sitting 20 feet away across your living room.

The big thing about 4k tv's is the colour and vibrance on the hdr sets, which you can't get on 1080 for some loving reason. It looks real good.

There's some other reason 4k does colour so well even on a non hdr set but I can't remember what it is. Regardless, the resolution is not why those displays look good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GreatGreen posted:

VR seemed like a great idea right up until they paired it with the dumb motion controls they all have. It would be great if they just combined VR headsets with a normal keyboard and mouse and/or a normal gamepad. I think it's the motion controls paired with the VR motion controller hand gear that makes the whole experience kind of dumb and gimmicky.

Just imagine being able to play most games exactly like you can now, but with a fully spherical 3D monitor wrapped around your head. That's what VR should be. Hell I wouldn't even care if on most games there were absolutely no motion controls at all, but instead you just controlled your directional focus with a controller like people do now, while your headset just serves as a normal 3D monitor.

I keep wondering when developers will wise up and I only add VR support for headsets to their games but nothing else.

Even with the game like Forza, the motion controls could be optional. I mean games where you sit in a moving structure are basically perfect for VR though, so this is one of the few instances where I think the headset motion controls should work properly, but if I played a Forza game with a VR headset, I'd still like to use a normal gamepad or wheel, and I'd like the ability to turn motion controls on the headset on or off.

It sounds like you've never tried VR before.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cojawfee posted:

It sounds like you've never tried VR before.

Definitely.

Are there even any VR racing games that use motion controls at all?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

4k and VR are not gimmicks. If you think they are you have not seen them in person.

Edit: can't spell for poo poo

Norns fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 21, 2017

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
All of this talk about gimmicks reminds me of this blast from the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Norns posted:

4k and VR are not gimmicks. If you think they are you have not seen them in person.

Edit: can't spell for poo poo

Actually, they are.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Okay guy

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Vr is transformative for racing games. It's astonishing how much immersion it brings and how easier it is to read the road.

It's also currently a massive sweaty box, and if youve ever driven a car vr primes you to expect physical forces you don't experience, so it's probably the most nausea inducing thing to experience in vr.

Personally it's that rolling lurch when you brake to a stop that get me in iracing. It's so natural and common to a driver that not experiencing it just kills me. Roaring round a corner? Fine. Stopping from 10mph? Lie down for an hour.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i'm still waiting for VR to be in some sunglasses type of thing before i use it to destroy my eyeballs

immersion is neat but right now you can probably race in le mons irl for the same price. some of these sim setups cost more than my actual car lmao

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Thief posted:

immersion is neat but right now you can probably race in le mons irl for the same price.

Yeah, once.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i like to put a fan behind my monitor blowing in my face when i drive convertibles

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It cost lance stroll an estimated 86 million dollars to get a F1 seat. I can't imagine a GT3 or LMP1 seat woud be a whole lot cheaper.

The "you could buy a car for that" argument vs Sim poo poo is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I like the sim setups where they make a big rear projection screen and just lifesize all that poo poo

No-wheel cockpit view is Forza 7's lowkey best simnerd feature, especially since there's a PC version

• Locked thread