Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
THis is so much fun im losing my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
I was busy catching up on posts and then this Lopez trade blew up and suddenly there were 3 more pages. I can't keep up with this poo poo and it's not even draft day yet. I need to hire a post curator.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nets getting ran better than the Knicks yea boi

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I really want PG to get traded to the Lakers, play next season for them. Then realize how much it sucks and not like the old days and sign with the Clippers.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Lakers subreddit is pretty funny to read right now if you need cheering up.

this is amazing.

quote:

It clears cap space for next summer when they'd like to sign PG and LeBron (And I guarantee you Magic has run this through the back channels and it's at least on the table). It's pretty clear no one in the building was in love with D'Lo's maturity or work ethic. Everyone here falls in love the young players, but you might want to prepare yourself. You can't clog your cap signing them all to big deals once their rookie contracts expire, so the guys the coaches/FO aren't in love with are going to get used as assets. You all will forget D'Lo was even here if it leads to PG and LBJ being Lakers in a year.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Would've been way better if Russel had been traded for King Zing that would have been a good trade imo

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
The 3 pick and the Kings future pick for Porzingis? He's a lock to be a good versatile player, meanwhile with the picks there's no guarantee, but at least it doesn't look like THAT bad a deal on the Knicks part if they're hell bent on getting rid of him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

straight up brolic posted:

This is why this trade is dumb as hell:

Even if they hypothetically get Paul George, is a core of Lonzo Ball, Paul George, Jordan Clarkson, and Brandon Ingram going to win you 50 games?

Luol Deng, Corey Brewer, Jordan Clarkson, and Tarik Black are taking up $41m next season. Paul George's max will be 33 or so. That's $74m invested in 5 players and no assets to dump any further salary.

They couldn't afford LeBron without completely emptying the cupboard of assets and LeBron Paul George and Lonzo Ball aren't winning a title with a replacement level bench and no cap space to add talent.

Who the gently caress cares about this upcoming year. Lebron can't opt out til after next year anyway IIRC.

in 2018 before the season, Without George, the Lakers have 38.5 million of the (Deng, Clarkson, Ingram and Nance).

That's assuming they don't resign Randle, who is an RFA, or David Nwaba who is a created character in year 30 of MyGM.

They can ditch Deng if they really need to takes total down to like 20 million. Might have to give up a pick or something to do it, but if you are getting Lebron loving James picks start mean way less.

edit: whoo boy if they don't get bron bron though, or Paul George gets wooed by someone else in free agency.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
lol

Lebron is not leaving the Cavs to go join a worse team that's in the same division as the Warriors and be facing the Western Playoffs every year.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
*ties off arm*

Phil taking calls on King Zing because he won't pick up the phone?

*flicks syringe full of mysterious drug substance*

Lakers traded Russell to dump Mozgov..?

*injects purestrain NBA offseason into my veins*

because they think they're getting LeBron???

*sighs and leans back*

yeah...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I love the offseason

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Jesus Christ, bring back Jim and Mitch
I can't wait for LeBron & PG13 to drag Randle and Swaggy P towards a Ring all while Lonzo ball keeps the la media lit, only to lose in the WCF against the new look stone cold killer Zing-Kawhi-Hayward-Juice-Paul Spurs (no don't ask me how that team happens)
(Kevin Durant died in an explosive fart incident and the Warriors lost against the timberwolves in the first round)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

lol

Lebron is not leaving the Cavs to go join a worse team that's in the same division as the Warriors and be facing the Western Playoffs every year.

I have my doubts about the reports of Bron leaving, but the Lakers are clearly setting up to have a poo poo ton of cap space that off season Bron can opt out.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Lockback posted:

lol

can't lose to the warriors in the finals if you never make it to the finals

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Lol anyone remember the last time the Lakers tried to clear cap room for Bron

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

pubic works project posted:

That's my bad.

I'm Magic. God is so good!
Do you have PMs? I'm willing to negotiate any price in bitcoins for the cure for AIDS

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like If the Lakers wanted to, they could only have Deng and Clarkson that they have to pay(without trading away a contract) in 2018-2019 season.

Everyone else is team option or RFA.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm jealous the Raps are just functional enough to not be involved with any of this. To think I secretly yearn for the time we signed Landry Fields to prevent the Knicks from signing Nash.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

I mean you have to try right?

Like even if you fail then oh no, you are still a bad team, and will get another early pick to try and hit on a superstar.

It's probably the correct move to make tbh.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

*ties off arm*

Phil taking calls on King Zing because he won't pick up the phone?

*flicks syringe full of mysterious drug substance*

Lakers traded Russell to dump Mozgov..?

*injects purestrain NBA offseason into my veins*

because they think they're getting LeBron???

*sighs and leans back*

yeah...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lockback posted:

lol

There is no way LeBron is leaving the Heat and go join Dan Gilbert again.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

JohnnyTreachery posted:

can't lose to the warriors in the finals if you never make it to the finals

it worked for jordan's legacy!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/hpbasketball/status/877303793569984515

Reminder that the Laker's PR machine is about to poo poo all over Russell and you should probably not treat all of it as fact

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Randle is def gone right

He'd have a large cap hold next summer

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Dexo posted:

I mean you have to try right?

Like even if you fail then oh no, you are still a bad team, and will get another early pick to try and hit on a superstar.

It's probably the correct move to make tbh.

Do you have to try to sign a 33 year old with a trillion minutes under his belt for the privilege of handcuffing yourself to his contract with a barren, lovely roster?

No. No you don't.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I dunno I might differentiate between "a 33 year old" and "a 33 year old LeBron James"

we already know DLo's a snitch what worse things could they possibly say

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you have to try to sign a 33 year old with a trillion minutes under his belt for the privilege of handcuffing yourself to his contract with a barren, lovely roster?

No. No you don't.

What else are they gong to do

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

NBA Offseason 2017-18 G/V: Got that AIDS brain

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I dunno I might differentiate between "a 33 year old" and "a 33 year old LeBron James"

we already know DLo's a snitch what worse things could they possibly say

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/877289943319678977

oops

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No. No you don't.

Guess what, the guys who did that got loving fired. what else are they supposed to do but deal with the hands they are dealt.

https://twitter.com/BasedChasen/status/877270109269708800

https://twitter.com/SpursEmpire5/status/877289576682881024

Edit: Oh you were talking about Lebron. LMAO at trying to undermine just how loving good Lebron James is.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yeah, or when the cleared cap space for Yao

Or for Amare

Or Dwight

Or Carmelo

Or Aldridge

I've seen this story far too often for me to buy it anymore. Like even if LeBron swore that he is gonna sign with them next year, thats still a season away. He could win a title next year, he could get injured, who knows? This is gonna lead to tears and a shitload of awful 30 footers from Ball next season.

Oh and Magic was in the room for all of those pitches too

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Guess what, the guys who did that got loving fired. what else are they supposed to do but deal with the hands they are dealt.

Edit: Oh you were talking about Lebron. LMAO at trying to undermine just how loving good Lebron James is.

Spurs Empire

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, or when the cleared cap space for Yao

Or for Amare

Or Dwight

Or Carmelo

I've seen this story far too often for me to buy it anymore. Like even if LeBron swore that he is gonna sign with them next year, thats still a season away. He could win a title next year, he could get injured, who knows? This is gonna lead to tears and a shitload of awful 30 footers from Ball next season

seriously, it's going to be amazing when they give someone like Jae Crowder 100 mil after Paul George changes his mind

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Dexo posted:

I'm a huge LeBron fan. Got to watch him play up close and personal a decade and a half ago when he roasted my lovely HS team when he played for Akron St V's. Hell I even saw him play football.

But he isn't immortal, he's getting older, and the thought of the Lakers chasing him with their hosed roster is almost too stupid to believe.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i love the mozgov contract

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I mean the NOW THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN Lakers actually did get a pretty crazy roster together, it was just everything else that didn't work

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Spurs Empire

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

which of last offseason's other albatross contracts are getting moved?

parsons? turner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

MourningView posted:

I like Russell a lot but they don't give a poo poo about Lopez as a player, they only care that he's a big contract that expires after next season. They're freeing up 2018 money because they think they can get LeBron

E: even knowing he's gone after this year I don't think I'd trade George for two crappy picks and Randle. Randle is kinda awful

Yeah, I get this, I just think it's dumb, the Lakers have consistently missed on free agents for years now, and even if you get Lebron, why make Dlo the guy you trade in a cap relief deal? Clarkson stinks and has a big contract, Randle stinks and will need to be extended next year, Russell and Ingram were the best contracts on the team. I don't think he's a great player or anything right now, but for his age, Russell was playing well. He had a better PER than Devin Booker who people seem to love. I know, PER, but still, he needed to at least bring back a higher pick than this.

• Locked thread