Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Croccers posted:

If you get the Aurora guns, you can blow up Dierker's car during the race.

That wouldn't win the game, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm playing Tales from the Borderlands for the first time and I'm on episode one and absolutely loving all the little touches that Telltale added. I'm not even a fan of Borderlands (I tried the FPS games but never made it more than a couple hours into them, I might give them another shot though...) but some of the little things like adding a lootbox that opens to reveal nothing was pretty great. I also love Rhys's eye-scanner that displays funny things about whatever you're scanning, like in the first five minutes when you scan your former boss as he floats outside in space, stone dead, and his status is displayed as "Not well"

I also died laughing at how you have to help a side character take down some enemies silently, and she kills her target by quickly snapping his neck. When it's your turn, you jump on the guy's back and are so lovely at trying to kill the guy that your target starts actively talking poo poo about you while your party member also makes fun of you for being useless.

I can't wait to keep playing, this is simply amazing. Telltale knocked this right out of the park.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Tales from the borderlands is my favorite thing telltale has done, and I've played all of their episodic series, save for the Minecraft ones.
Like you I'm not a fan of the original games either, their writers did an excellent job with the source material.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Echoing the whole 'don't care for Borderlands but Tales From is one of my favourite games'.

It's easily both the best Telltale game and Borderlands game in my opinion.

EDIT: Also episode two has one of my favourite title sequences ever in a game.

Veotax has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jun 20, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I also died laughing at how you have to help a side character take down some enemies silently, and she kills her target by quickly snapping his neck. When it's your turn, you jump on the guy's back and are so lovely at trying to kill the guy that your target starts actively talking poo poo about you while your party member also makes fun of you for being useless.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever encountered.

Veotax posted:

It's easily both the best Telltale game and Borderlands game in my opinion.

I love Borderlands games and I still agree with you.

Loaderbot is my favorite character in any of the Telltale games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HonorableTB posted:

I also love Rhys's eye-scanner that displays funny things about whatever you're scanning, like in the first five minutes when you scan your former boss as he floats outside in space, stone dead, and his status is displayed as "Not well"

One thing Tales from the Borderlands does that I love is that at one point you encounter a character from the older games and he gives you the option to become his confidant and partner in crime. If you accept then he adds a lot of color commentary to all of the different eye-scanner text but if you find the character annoying then you can tell him to gently caress off and he actually listens and instead you get a completely different set of descriptions for everything.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Like you I'm not a fan of the original games either, their writers did an excellent job with the source material.

To be fair a good number of the writers from the previous games returned to write dialog for their characters, too.

Veotax posted:

EDIT: Also episode two has one of my favourite title sequences ever in a game.

All the opening credits scenes kick rear end, it makes me wish Telltale had a budget to use licensed music in their regular games because the music choices are :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LkjH-v1tGk

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

One thing Tales from the Borderlands does that I love is that at one point you encounter a character from the older games and he gives you the option to become his confidant and partner in crime. If you accept then he adds a lot of color commentary to all of the different eye-scanner text but if you find the character annoying then you can tell him to gently caress off and he actually listens and instead you get a completely different set of descriptions for everything.

To be fair a good number of the writers from the previous games returned to write dialog for their characters, too.

All the opening credits scenes kick rear end, it makes me wish Telltale had a budget to use licensed music in their regular games because the music choices are :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LkjH-v1tGk

Watching Kaubocks' LP, my favorite bits were the musical intros. The space launch one stuck with me the most.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You can't mention Tales from the Borderlands without talking about the finger gun 'shootout'.

That caught me so off guard I had the biggest poo poo eating grin for an hour.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Just Offscreen posted:

I mean it's OK.
I had more fun watching these gifs than actually playing the game at release.

I really doubt it's aged well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

moosecow333 posted:

You can't mention Tales from the Borderlands without talking about the finger gun 'shootout'.

That caught me so off guard I had the biggest poo poo eating grin for an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VOM7e5Hug

The great thing is that if you fail it they realize you're an imposter and then they shoot you for real. :rip:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up Grand Theft Auto 5 for the PS4 the other day and I love the way Rockstar utilizes the DS4 controller. When you're being chased by the cops your light bar will flash red and blue. I was playing at night and for a few seconds there were cop cars outside my house. I also love how the phone calls come through the speaker in the controller.

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Jun 21, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Tales from the borderlands is my favorite thing telltale has done, and I've played all of their episodic series, save for the Minecraft ones.
Episode 4 is extremely good in ways I did not expect.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was not expecting to be emotionally invested in a loving Borderlands game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rydiafan posted:

Catch-a-RIIIDE! :smith:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rydiafan posted:

Like has already been mentioned, a loving loader bot, an annoying enemy in the real games, gets a complex and fulfilling character arc in Tales.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Catch-a-RIIIDE! :smith:

Fuuuuuuck.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

5's finale loving rules for so many reason, but probably its greatest achievement is making me actually laugh at Claptrap. You spent the entire game scrimping and saving hoping that you could use your money for something cool at the end? PSYCHE, your reward is having the worst character in the series tag along for the climax. :owned:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

5's finale loving rules for so many reason, but probably its greatest achievement is making me actually laugh at Claptrap. You spent the entire game scrimping and saving hoping that you could use your money for something cool at the end? PSYCHE, your reward is having the worst character in the series tag along for the climax. :owned:

I could not afford that, because I spent my money buying Loaderbot a tuxedo.

No regrets.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It does :cheeky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGQ_8FbyZM0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the rest of the game is not great I did really like the mobility you get in Mass Effect: Andromeda with the jump jets. They let you hop into the air above cover, hover and dash around the battlefield.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

muscles like this! posted:

While the rest of the game is not great I did really like the mobility you get in Mass Effect: Andromeda with the jump jets. They let you hop into the air above cover, hover and dash around the battlefield.

The actual gameplay of ME:A is really satisfying and good.

Shame the entire single-player part of the game was messed up by bad management.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Reminder that The Saboteur also touted BARE BOOBIES as incentive to buy the DLC for it, if you happen to have it you get the benefits right away as the game opens on a lady dancing :pervert:

Anyway, was playing Tekken 7 online just now and was playing against Alisa the robot girl with chainsaw arms. I manged to get out of one of her throws that usually involves her arms detaching while she slams you into the ground or something. Since i broke the throw, your character automatically throws her arms off to the side as part of the animation and i think it's a neat touch.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

The Saboteur looks like a lot of fun.

It really is. It was vastly underrated at the time of its release because nothing about it was really innovative, it was just a bunch of features from other games mashed together. The thing is they're mashed together so well and create a wonderful game. There's also tonnes of little things that make it a poster child for this thread.

Something to note is that the map on the PC port is all sorts of messed up, track down a console copy if you can.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Any game where you get to kill Nazis is pretty much good by default.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So excited for Wolfenstein 2

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TontoCorazon posted:

So excited for Wolfenstein 2

It's really a shame that Sean and BJ never crossed paths. What a beautiful, Nazi-killing bromance it would be.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In Wolfenstein: The New Order, BJ talks to himself a lot.
However, they were clever enough to make all of the lines whispers in case you are using stealth. It lends to the eerie and almost poetic narrative.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just unlocked RDX in The Saboteur:unsmigghh:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I am really and truly grateful for Skip Cutscene and Skip Gameplay buttons/options. There are just parts and scenes I just prefer to pass, especially when it's not my first time around.

If you make a game and include these, thank you, thank you, God bless you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Reminder that The Saboteur also touted BARE BOOBIES as incentive to buy the DLC for it, if you happen to have it you get the benefits right away as the game opens on a lady dancing :pervert:

To be fair the dlc was free. It was a way to get around nudity by ratings institutions.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The voice actor for BJ did such an amazing job.
BJ as a character was physically a bad rear end but his monologue in the end elevated his performance to a new level for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEza0A15mls&t=50s

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

TontoCorazon posted:

The voice actor for BJ did such an amazing job.
BJ as a character was physically a bad rear end but his monologue in the end elevated his performance to a new level for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEza0A15mls&t=50s

It's the first time MUH AMERICA has been a good theme in a video game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

To be fair the dlc was free. It was a way to get around nudity by ratings institutions.

Yeah, I think Saboteur was right at the end of the period where having bare breasts in a game meant and instant AO.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Jehde posted:

It really is. It was vastly underrated at the time of its release because nothing about it was really innovative, it was just a bunch of features from other games mashed together. The thing is they're mashed together so well and create a wonderful game. There's also tonnes of little things that make it a poster child for this thread.

Something to note is that the map on the PC port is all sorts of messed up, track down a console copy if you can.

The GOG version has a fix for the map glitch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You get the achievements you get for beating the game and the credits roll.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:lol::lol::lol:

Wish I'd known that for my LP!

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
A little late to the Borderlands party, but I also loved how they turned their typical Telltale Moment on its head in episode 3, when they melodramatically built it up like Sasha was going to fall to her death....only for the drop to just be a few feet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7jwI3YyFU

NES Jason has his own theme in Friday the 13th (as do all Jasons), it is amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's a loving NES Jason in that game!?

Damnit, horror fans are getting so much cool poo poo right now, and here I am unable to stomach a jumpscare.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's just a reskin for one of the Jasons unfortunately, given as part of an apology for server troubles at game launch. Still funny as hell though, and the music is surprisingly tense when you're being chased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

It's the first time MUH AMERICA has been a good theme in a video game.

I don't think you could really apply that TNO considering that the game is all about the European resistance and BJ is the only American in the game in one timeline while in the other he has Jimi Hendrix brow-beating him about being so uncritically dedicated to a system that was just as oppressive to people like him as the Nazis were to everyone else.

Which is one of the reasons I'm psyched about The New Colossus, they don't seem to be pulling any punches in how occupied America isnt in any way special about resisting and if anything seems to be uniquely suited to being co-opted by the Nazis with Klansmen in the street and Hollywood creating nationalistic propaganda in the trailer.