Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

I mean the NOW THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN Lakers actually did get a pretty crazy roster together, it was just everything else that didn't work

nash, kobe and dwight all simultaneously dying was some pretty bad luck, yeah. if they had played as well as everyone expected that would have been a hell of a superteam. they might have even won a series or two against okc in the western semifinals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

milk milk lemonade posted:

I'm a huge LeBron fan. Got to watch him play up close and personal a decade and a half ago when he roasted my lovely HS team when he played for Akron St V's. Hell I even saw him play football.

But he isn't immortal, he's getting older, and the thought of the Lakers chasing him with their hosed roster is almost too stupid to believe.

Jason Kidd was still a very effective player as an old man. I imagine mid-30s LeBron will still be good enough to be an all star.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

I have my doubts about the reports of Bron leaving, but the Lakers are clearly setting up to have a poo poo ton of cap space that off season Bron can opt out.

I actually sorta think Lebron is going to leave Cleve but it'll be to join another contender. Paul George Deng, Randle and Lonzo Ball probably won't be that.

euphronius posted:

What else are they gong to do

Develop young assets and not give them away?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

For maximum hilarity we need the 18-19 Lakers to get really lucky in the playoffs due to other team injury issues, then have Lonzo steal Finals MVP from LeBron. Imagine LaVar's reaction.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Spacebump posted:

Jason Kidd was still a very effective player as an old man. I imagine mid-30s LeBron will still be good enough to be an all star.

Yah but what's the end game for the Lakers? I have no doubt Lebrons game will age well. But if he isn't at his peak how far can he carry LA?

If they're just trying to sell tickets then :shrug: They do the same thing over and over though and it really only worked when they had a generational talent or two in their prime

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

InnercityGriot posted:

Yeah, I get this, I just think it's dumb, the Lakers have consistently missed on free agents for years now, and even if you get Lebron, why make Dlo the guy you trade in a cap relief deal? Clarkson stinks and has a big contract, Randle stinks and will need to be extended next year, Russell and Ingram were the best contracts on the team. I don't think he's a great player or anything right now, but for his age, Russell was playing well. He had a better PER than Devin Booker who people seem to love. I know, PER, but still, he needed to at least bring back a higher pick than this.

The new GM and front office didn't like him. It sucks and is often dumb, but they didn't like him.

Like I'm sure a bunch of beat reporters are about to dump all of their Russell stories now that he's off the team.

It happens all the time, if a coach and a FO don't like a player the second they get cover to do so they will get rid of said player. Or the Player if the player is good enough they will be able to get rid of the coach/FO(unless they are the Bulls in which case lol)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think LeBron will go there but the Lakers having cap space to chase max contract guys is a fairly recent phenomenon i don't know where the narrative that they've been missing big free agents for years comes from.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Yah but what's the end game for the Lakers? I have no doubt Lebrons game will age well. But if he isn't at his peak how far can he carry LA?

If they're just trying to sell tickets then :shrug: They do the same thing over and over though and it really only worked when they had a generational talent or two in their prime

So far the end game would be a team with Paul George as the best player, an aging LeBron as the second best (or maybe LeBron as the best depending on how he ages, more likely he is the best at least one year), Lonzo Ball, and probably a bunch of role-players that follow LeBron/want to live in LA now that the Lakers can make it to the playoffs again. Paul George and 33 year old LeBron is a better 2 person core than every team in the West that isn't Golden State.

Any salary LeBron gives up to be on the Lakers can easily be made up in Hollywood because he is LeBron James.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

So far the end game would be a team with Paul George as the best player, an aging LeBron as the second best, Lonzo Ball, and probably a bunch of role-players that follow LeBron/want to live in LA now that the Lakers can make it to the playoffs again. Paul George and 33 year old LeBron is a better 2 person core than every team in the West that isn't Golden State.

The Still have Brandon Ingrhaham

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Actually the Lakers shouldn't even want LeBron" is an all time great hot take

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

I don't think LeBron will go there but the Lakers having cap space to chase max contract guys is a fairly recent phenomenon i don't know where the narrative that they've been missing big free agents for years comes from.

obviously every all-star ought to jump at the chance to take a huge paycut to come play for the lakers and be hissed at all day

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

The Still have Brandon Ingrhaham

How could I forget about Diet Durant?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lakers setting up cap space for the 2020s when the championship 76ers have to choose between Simmons and Embiid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jubs posted:

They had to include Russell to shed Mozgov's contract. They need that money for PG.

No, they don't. There are about 20 ways they could've gotten another 4 million in salary that didn't involve trading D'Angelo Russell.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

MourningView posted:

"Actually the Lakers shouldn't even want LeBron" is an all time great hot take

Yah scorching hot take to consider maybe athletes don't keep up the same level of production forever and taking a more reasoned approach to roster building and developing talent might be a good idea. hmm wow just call me Skip Bayless

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't know why Vlade didn't offer #10 for Russell and Mozgov. Maybe he is terrified of making another trade since he always seems to get laughed at

WhyteRyce posted:

drat it Vlade were you asleep or something

I think Kolokotronis is running everything in Sacramento now.

Sorry WhyteRyce :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

On a number of occasions, they had cleared space or put themselves into positions to easily clear space for free agents. Like, the original Kwame trade was timed so his contract would expire the same off-season as Yao and then would just dump Lamar and put Kobe and Yao together. Then when it became obvious it wasn't going to happen, they took his option to go after Amare in 2010 (though they traded for Pau before this negating it). This was also back when S&Ts were still a realistic possibility for big time free-agents

They've tried selling this plan to Lakers fans a ton of times, and I have even less faith in these to pull it off, since Jeanie and Magic were always in the room for all of those pitches, but somehow, they'll be able to charm everyone, despite never being able to in the past.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
"'Maybe MourningView knows what he's talking about"

- Steven A Smith

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

"'Maybe MourningView knows what he's talking about"

- Steven A Smith

This is a hot take btw

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

PREPOSTEROUS

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yah scorching hot take to consider maybe athletes don't keep up the same level of production forever and taking a more reasoned approach to roster building and developing talent might be a good idea. hmm wow just call me Skip Bayless

It's only a season away, he might literally be the greatest player in the history of the sport, he has zero injury history, he has shown zero sign of slowing down outside of resting more now, and he has a game that will age well. Even if you only get 2-3 years of LeBron at this level or close to it that's worth whatever he'd make.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 21, 2017

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:soundofmusicspinninginameadow:
This is a great day.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/kporzee/status/874376396793143298

https://twitter.com/kporzee/status/873651656214401024

imagine what king zing could do with the suns training staff and not some weird hovel in latvia

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

It's only a season away, he might literally be the greatest player in the history of the sport, he has zero injury history, and he has shown zero sign of slowly down outside of resting more now, he has a game that will age well. Even if you only get 2-3 years of LeBron at this level or close to it that's worth whatever he'd make.

Yes, but what if you have zero faith in their ability to reel him in

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, but what if you have zero faith in their ability to reel him in

That is not the argument I am currently having

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

It's only a season away, he might literally be the greatest player in the history of the sport, he has zero injury history, and he has shown zero sign of slowly down outside of resting more now, he has a game that will age well. Even if you only get 2-3 years of LeBron at this level or close to it that's worth whatever he'd make.

So why not do the move next offseason then? Like even if the Lakers really hated D'Angelo Russell, they could've made this decision when they were able to know FOR SURE that Lebron was coming over. "Well we had to decline D'Angelo's contract option to create the space for Lebron James and Paul George, who are signing tomorrow" is a lot better than," a "well maybe Lebron and Paul are interested next year so let's go ahead and get rid of him anyway."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rick posted:

So why not do the move next offseason then? Like even if the Lakers really hated D'Angelo Russell, they could've made this decision when they were able to know FOR SURE that Lebron was coming over. "Well we had to decline D'Angelo's contract option to create the space for Lebron James and Paul George, who are signing tomorrow" is a lot better than," a "well maybe Lebron and Paul are interested next year so let's go ahead and get rid of him anyway."

They need to open up those minutes for Lonzo to ball. Got to give him as much exp as possible before Mr. James comes to town.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Indy should file a tampering complaint about the Lakers and get those picks anyways, those dastardly tamperers.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It can't be understated that Dan Gilbert is somehow going to run the best player ever out of town twice

has to be an all-timer among terrible owners

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

That is also not the argument that post is making! I am only saying that LeBron is worth signing if they can sign him, which admittedly is such a no brainer it should not even need to be argued AND YET

I don't really like trading Russell either fwiw, although they're clearly trading him mostly because they don't like him anyway and needed to sweeten the pot to get someone to take the awful mozgov deal. Obviously they don't really care about Russell's contract on its own

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nick young wins again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yes, it's obvious that they don't care about Russell. It's obvious that Ainge doesn't care about Fultz. That doesn't mean these two people aren't loving morons.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Yes, it's obvious that they don't care about Russell. It's obvious that Ainge doesn't care about Fultz. That doesn't mean these two people aren't loving morons.

I agree with you on both! I was just confused why you were acting like they were trading Russell because of his contract and not as a way to dump Mozgov

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

It can't be understated that Dan Gilbert is somehow going to run the best player ever out of town twice

has to be an all-timer among terrible owners

I'm not trying to defend Gilbert here, but they've spent a crapload of money putting a team around Lebron. If all it takes is firing a GM to run Lebron out of town he's going to be run out of basically every team. I think he might leave but because in 201x NBA you can only be a contender for a relatively short window and that window is closing for Cleveland (slowly, but it is).

If they do split I think it will be an amicable split.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I agree with you on both! I was just confused why you were acting like they were trading Russell because of his contract and not as a way to dump Mozgov

They don't need to dump Mosgov though to do everything they wanted to do, and they certainly don't need to do it now, June 20th, 2017.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/thekidet/status/877318783014060032

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Now imagine meatwad said this

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Crabbe Turner and a pick or two for PG c'mon Neil Olshey

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

We need a Game of Zones to know how to process this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So the Celtics have a stake in both the Lakers pick AND the Net's pick in 2018. I think this makes the Net's more likely to be the worst team in the league again since now they don't even have Brook Lopez, yet doesn't seem to make the Lakers any better....

• Locked thread