Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Mak0rz posted:

:lol: I'm glad I decided to sit on it for a couple of days because this deal wasn't available back when I first asked!

Thanks for cluing me in to their being back in stock, I just ordered one too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Wut's a tab medium discount?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You have to drink 6 thirty year old cans of soda

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jago posted:

Wut's a tab medium discount?

My provider (Koodo Mobile) has a system that allows you to pay off the phone's retail cost in monthly payments over 2 years without tacking on additional interest or other fees. After 24 months, the phone is paid off and it's yours. They call this the Tab, which has three tiers (small, medium, large; each one with different monthly and down payments) and sometimes have special promotions for different plans.

Tab Medium is $15/month. That over 24 months adds up to $360 plus the $200 down-payment means I get to have this $1,000 phone for just over half that price.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Calling it a "discount" is stupid as gently caress, tbh.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phosphine posted:

Calling it a "discount" is stupid as gently caress, tbh.

You're right. I was confusing their Tab Medium "discount" with the promo one when I answered that. It isn't a discount at all.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Country/Provider: USA/ATT

Current contract status: Some kinda family plan

Budget (phone/plan): 200 - 300 for phone, don't need a plan

Features I know I want: Decent or good camera, can run pokemon GO, and has decent battery. Android!

The phones I've eyed so far are the stylo 3, moto g5, and xperia xa1. Any more options, reviews, suggestions and opinions would really help me narrow down what a good camera would be for the price range, since my old moto 2013 phone is finally not cutting it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

get the G5, just google camera example <phone name> for camera comparisons between them, cnet and verge usually have them

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My old phone is dying, so I probably need to bite the bullet and change device:

Country/Provider: UK, 3

Current contract status: SIM only, one month rolling.

Budget (phone/plan): £300-350, but really the cheaper the better. No contract.

Features I know I want: I look at a lot of comics, illustrations, etc, so screen quality is my absolute priority - decent size, resolution, colour range, etc. No real priority for anything else.

I can get a refurbed Nexus 6P in that price range, but any better or cheaper suggestions would be welcome!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 19, 2017

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Country/Provider: USA, Sprint
Current contract status: SERO 500, out of contract
Budget: Plan only, currently paying ~$58/month after taxes, don't want to go too much higher.
Features I know I want: Unlimited data, calling/texting/roaming to Canada

I have a Nexus 5X and will probably eventually want a Pixel, but I don't care about upgrading my phone right now.

I've been on SERO forever and have the Sprint Open World add-on with unlimited calling/texting and 1 GB LTE data roaming in Canada. Is it worth it to switch to another provider for a better/faster network in the US and more seamless roaming or should I just stick with Sprint?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Looks like with the cricket plans that are fifty dollars and over include data roaming to Canada and Mexico

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/international-features/customer/common-questions.html

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Looks like with the cricket plans that are fifty dollars and over include data roaming to Canada and Mexico

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/international-features/customer/common-questions.html

$45 with autopay for that 8gb plan w/roaming data is a fantastic deal

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

e: nvm I just bought an S8, death to money praise be to the tent in the woods in which i now reside

black.lion fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My old phone is dying, so I probably need to bite the bullet and change device:

Country/Provider: UK, 3

Current contract status: SIM only, one month rolling.

Budget (phone/plan): £300-350, but really the cheaper the better. No contract.

Features I know I want: I look at a lot of comics, illustrations, etc, so screen quality is my absolute priority - decent size, resolution, colour range, etc. No real priority for anything else.

I can get a refurbed Nexus 6P in that price range, but any better or cheaper suggestions would be welcome!

The Nexus 6P is currently the subject of a class action lawsuit so I recommend you steer clear.

If the Galaxy S8 or the Pixel are not in your budget, then my money would be on the Moto G5 Plus, which a cursory Google tells me goes for around £179.00.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Desk Lamp posted:

The Nexus 6P is currently the subject of a class action lawsuit so I recommend you steer clear.

Okay, maybe not then. :raise: There aren't any lawsuits around the Lenovo P2 are there? It's available on my network and seems like a really solid choice for £200.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay, maybe not then. :raise: There aren't any lawsuits around the Lenovo P2 are there? It's available on my network and seems like a really solid choice for £200.

If you've got the Moto G5 Plus available, it's an excellent phone all around, not even only in the ultra-budget category. I can't believe that this thing was $180.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The cheapest I can find it here is ~£213/$269, unfortunately. Might still be worth it, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 20, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Im thinking about a new phone.
Going to buy outright, or maybe on finance, as I get a large discount on a sim only contract.

Previous handset - Galaxy Note 3. Brilliant OLED screen, fast phone. Bit big for my hands.

Current handset - LG G4. Screen resolution amazing, but no OLED is a shame. Doesn't feel that much faster than the Note, but better camera, and nicer to use due to size.

I install the Google home app, so the launcher of choice by the mahufacturer doesn't matter to me.

I was looking at the Huawei P10, and maybe the new Onplus 5, but both only have 1080p screens, and it feels like a shame to swap back from the qHD on the G4, even if it got me OLED.
Camera isn't super important, but would be nice to have a good one.

CPU spec will go uo regardless of what I pick, but id like the screen and RAM to at least stay static, I dont want a worse phone than what I have.

I've made my bed regarding removal batteries, I'll handle whatever I get.

Due to screen preference, and spec asks, is my choice pretty much limited to the Galaxy S8, and maybe Sonys 4K flagship effort? Never been a fan of the sony smartphones, bad reliability in my experience.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Can you really tell the difference between 1080 and 4k on a 5 inch sreen

Lower res is better on battery as well

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mehall posted:

Im thinking about a new phone.
Going to buy outright, or maybe on finance, as I get a large discount on a sim only contract.

Previous handset - Galaxy Note 3. Brilliant OLED screen, fast phone. Bit big for my hands.

Current handset - LG G4. Screen resolution amazing, but no OLED is a shame. Doesn't feel that much faster than the Note, but better camera, and nicer to use due to size.

I install the Google home app, so the launcher of choice by the mahufacturer doesn't matter to me.

I was looking at the Huawei P10, and maybe the new Onplus 5, but both only have 1080p screens, and it feels like a shame to swap back from the qHD on the G4, even if it got me OLED.
Camera isn't super important, but would be nice to have a good one.

CPU spec will go uo regardless of what I pick, but id like the screen and RAM to at least stay static, I dont want a worse phone than what I have.

I've made my bed regarding removal batteries, I'll handle whatever I get.

Due to screen preference, and spec asks, is my choice pretty much limited to the Galaxy S8, and maybe Sonys 4K flagship effort? Never been a fan of the sony smartphones, bad reliability in my experience.

If you enjoyed the Note 3, and want a phone now, the S8 is your best bet. If you can wait 3 or 4 months the end of the year is shaping up to be a veritable clash of the titans with the Note 8, Pixel 2 and iPhone 8 all coming out within weeks of each other.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Looking at Huawei P10 Lite and Moto G5 Plus. They seem nearly identical on specs and on price where I am. Which one should I get and why?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

Looking at Huawei P10 Lite and Moto G5 Plus. They seem nearly identical on specs and on price where I am. Which one should I get and why?

Moto G5+ is our go-to recommendation. It's cheap enough to be disposable, is up to date, has great performance for the price, and is well built.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blue Train posted:

Can you really tell the difference between 1080 and 4k on a 5 inch sreen

Lower res is better on battery as well

I've just dropped from 2k to 720p since my main phone died, and yeah, there is no need for that kind of resolution. 720p is absolutely fine for 5", 1080p is the most you could ever need up to 6".

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've just dropped from 2k to 720p since my main phone died, and yeah, there is no need for that kind of resolution. 720p is absolutely fine for 5", 1080p is the most you could ever need up to 6".

Not making a judgment call, whatever works for you works, but a Blu R1 HD at 5" 720p looks noticeably fuzzier to me when reading text than a Pixel at 5" 1080p. Like, it's not terrible, and I could get by using it for awhile, but it is not the same. Display quality likely has a part in that comparison too, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Not making a judgment call, whatever works for you works, but a Blu R1 HD at 5" 720p looks noticeably fuzzier to me when reading text than a Pixel at 5" 1080p. Like, it's not terrible, and I could get by using it for awhile, but it is not the same. Display quality likely has a part in that comparison too, though.

I'll agree with this while also adding that I can't tell the difference between my girlfriend's Pixel at 1080p and my Pixel XL at 1440p. They're both equally clear to me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What would be the next step up from the Moto G5 Plus or Nexus 5? I lump them in together because I have the Nexus now and need to replace it but based on this thread's recommendations I looked up the G5 Plus and it sounds very similar. Like I'd be rebuying the same phone basically, give or take a couple things. I don't think I can justify shelling out for top-of-the-line but if I do have to get a new phone I'd like something that is clearly an upgrade.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I'll agree with this while also adding that I can't tell the difference between my girlfriend's Pixel at 1080p and my Pixel XL at 1440p. They're both equally clear to me.

Really? The Pixel XL has almost 100 extra ppi.

The standard pixel is noticeably less crisp on full quality video for me than my current Lg g4, or an xl. (but i don't think I want a phone quite that big anymore.)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm also a Nexus 5 owner of almost 3 years with no idea what to get as a SIM-free replacement. (It's been my only smartphone ever, and I can't imagine another phone being THAT much faster?)

Budget: not looking to go over £250 ($300ish but man that currency exchange is weird right now) I know it's relative but I just want a good price/longevity ratio really, am basically looking to spend as little as possible to get something comparable to my Nexus 3 years ago.

Features I think I want:
  • Storage! My Nexus 5 is only 16gb and the OS and basic apps are somehow nearly half that. I have a lot of photos and podcasts and I'd like to put more music on there. As is, I reached the limit yesterday and had to delete tons of stuff. So an SD card slot would obviously be advantageous.
  • I listen to a lot of podcasts and music out the main speaker at full blast around the house or at work (big empty warehouse), so loud speaker volume would be good if that's even measured.
  • I watch a LOT of YouTube videos, so I guess good battery is a priority. (but that's true for everyone I suppose!)
  • I use the camera a lot, but I'm fine with the quality of the Nexus 5 camera.
  • I think I like the idea of stock Android - but I don't have anything to compare it to... (Sorry to be so useless for criteria! Very inexperienced at phonez.)

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 25, 2017

Selane
May 19, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I'm also a Nexus 5 owner of almost 3 years with no idea what to get as a SIM-free replacement. (It's been my only smartphone ever, and I can't imagine another phone being THAT much faster?)
Yeah well, trust me, your phone is slow.

quote:

Budget: not looking to go over £250 ($300ish but man that currency exchange is weird right now) I know it's relative but I just want a good price/longevity ratio really, am basically looking to spend as little as possible to get something comparable to my Nexus 3 years ago.

Features I think I want:[list]
[*]Storage! My Nexus 5 is only 16gb and the OS and basic apps are somehow nearly half that. I have a lot of photos and podcasts and I'd like to put more music on there. As is, I reached the limit yesterday and had to delete tons of stuff. So an SD card slot would obviously be advantageous.
[*]I listen to a lot of podcasts and music out the main speaker at full blast around the house or at work (big empty warehouse), so loud speaker volume would be good if that's even measured.
[*]I watch a LOT of YouTube videos, so I guess good battery is a priority. (but that's true for everyone I suppose!)
[*]I use the camera a lot, but I'm fine with the quality of the Nexus 5 camera.

Pretty much the only phones anyone is going to recommend these days is the Moto G5+ on the low end, or a Pixel/iPhone on the high end. So you probably want a G5+.

quote:

[*]I think I like the idea of stock Android - but I don't have anything to compare it to... (Sorry to be so useless for criteria! Very inexperienced at phonez.)
That may be true, but nothing runs stock except for Google's phones, and they don't make Nexuses any more. So unless you want to spend 800+ for a Pixel, you're gonna have to give up on this part. At least Motorola's phones are fairly close to stock.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lobok posted:

What would be the next step up from the Moto G5 Plus or Nexus 5? I lump them in together because I have the Nexus now and need to replace it but based on this thread's recommendations I looked up the G5 Plus and it sounds very similar. Like I'd be rebuying the same phone basically, give or take a couple things. I don't think I can justify shelling out for top-of-the-line but if I do have to get a new phone I'd like something that is clearly an upgrade.

The next step up is throwing an extra hundred at a phone no better than the G5+. Every step beyond that is another hundred until you get to the Pixel. There's really no point to getting something in between the G5+ and the Pixel because there just isn't much improvement until you get to the high end where you're spending three times what the G5+ costs. Put that money toward your next phone instead (since the Moto isn't going to get much in the way of updates) and plan on buying a new phone sooner.

The G5+ is going to feel like an improvement over the N5 regardless.

mehall posted:

Really? The Pixel XL has almost 100 extra ppi.

The standard pixel is noticeably less crisp on full quality video for me than my current Lg g4, or an xl. (but i don't think I want a phone quite that big anymore.)

Maybe there's a difference but I can't see it. I should mention I'm old and don't stare at phone screens much if I have the option not to.

VagueRant posted:

Features I think I want:
  • Storage! My Nexus 5 is only 16gb and the OS and basic apps are somehow nearly half that. I have a lot of photos and podcasts and I'd like to put more music on there. As is, I reached the limit yesterday and had to delete tons of stuff. So an SD card slot would obviously be advantageous.
  • I listen to a lot of podcasts and music out the main speaker at full blast around the house or at work (big empty warehouse), so loud speaker volume would be good if that's even measured.
  • I watch a LOT of YouTube videos, so I guess good battery is a priority. (but that's true for everyone I suppose!)
  • I use the camera a lot, but I'm fine with the quality of the Nexus 5 camera.
  • I think I like the idea of stock Android - but I don't have anything to compare it to... (Sorry to be so useless for criteria! Very inexperienced at phonez.)

You, too, want a G5+ though if you're listening to the phone out loud maybe you should think about a Chromecast too. Why anyone would choose to listen to a phone speaker instead of their real stereo is beyond my understanding.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In the end I decided to patriotically throw my money down the toilet of British industry with a Wileyfox Swift 2 - only 720p, which I'm fine with, and it has the same CPU and 16GB/2GB configuration as the base Moto G5, but you get a full metal shell, fingerprint scanner, NFC and USB-C, currently for £120 brand new on Amazon, which is absolutely bananas. At that price it can fall apart after six months for all I care.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In the end I decided to patriotically throw my money down the toilet of British industry with a Wileyfox Swift 2 - only 720p, which I'm fine with, and it has the same CPU and 16GB/2GB configuration as the base Moto G5, but you get a full metal shell, fingerprint scanner, NFC and USB-C, currently for £120 brand new on Amazon, which is absolutely bananas. At that price it can fall apart after six months for all I care.

Didn't they just get bought out by someone or am I confusing them with Nextbit?

Either way I've heard good things about them but they're only available in the UK so it's something only Brits can advise on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ended up getting the G5+ today. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a little slippery but other than that it's really cool so far. I love how easy it was to switch from my Nexus 5 as well. As soon as I turned on the new phone it asked if I wanted to port everything over using my wi-fi, and I did, so my new phone was up and running 95% the same as my old phone in like... a half hour? Barely had to do anything. Such a smooth transition.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lobok posted:

Ended up getting the G5+ today. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a little slippery but other than that it's really cool so far. I love how easy it was to switch from my Nexus 5 as well. As soon as I turned on the new phone it asked if I wanted to port everything over using my wi-fi, and I did, so my new phone was up and running 95% the same as my old phone in like... a half hour? Barely had to do anything. Such a smooth transition.
Yeah, I ended up putting my own new G5+ in a case after the third time I accidentally tossed it across the (carpeted) floor at work. I initally got a cheap, boxy one via Amazon points, but now I'm upgrading to this, on a goon recommendation. I can't personally vouch for it yet; I should get it this evening.

If that fails to satisfy my desire for a less-clunky case, I plan to order one of these textured skins for the back.

Because for real, I dropped this phone more on the first day than in months with my G3.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have an ipaky case from AliExpress for my G4 and it is good, they make one for the g5 as well. Like five dollars

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
My Sony Z3c is finally dying (well, the touchscreen is) and I think I'm going to replace it with a Moto G5. How noticeable is the upgrade from 2GB to 3GB Ram?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Popelmon posted:

My Sony Z3c is finally dying (well, the touchscreen is) and I think I'm going to replace it with a Moto G5. How noticeable is the upgrade from 2GB to 3GB Ram?

Noticeable enough to do it. You're obviously into small phones wherever you are, but in the states you can get the G5+ with 4GB and if that's an option where you are you should step up to that.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm just beginning to start to look for a new phone. I have an HTC One M8 that I got at around launch, so it's really starting to show its age. Slow and starting to get unresponsive, random crashes every once in a while, and the battery life is REALLY starting to tank. I'm going to do a factory reset soon to see if that will help, but who knows how much more time that'll give me.

I'm in the US on Verizon. I'm also tired of all the lovely Verizon apps that I can't delete (why does VZ Navigator still exist??), and I'd like to actually receive updates on a time scale NOT measured in centuries....so I'm looking for an unlocked phone. Not sure if that's still a hard thing to find or not.

Anyhow, if I'm looking for a brand new top-of-the-line phone, and I'm not desperate for it today, is Pixel 2 the answer? I've got time to wait, and I've heard that the Pixel 2 will be out in October. Not sure if my phone will last that long, but if it does I can hold out.

edit: OK so I'm sure that doesn't really narrow down options, but I'm just starting to look so I don't know what the major things are that sets phones apart these days. IF the pixel 2 is more than 6 months out, then I might need to start narrowing things down. And I guess the only reason I'm considering that phone is due to the success of the Pixel, so maybe I'm just blindly steering for that hoping I don't have to work to make decisions.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 30, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

DaveSauce posted:

I'm just beginning to start to look for a new phone. I have an HTC One M8 that I got at around launch, so it's really starting to show its age. Slow and starting to get unresponsive, random crashes every once in a while, and the battery life is REALLY starting to tank. I'm going to do a factory reset soon to see if that will help, but who knows how much more time that'll give me.

I'm in the US on Verizon. I'm also tired of all the lovely Verizon apps that I can't delete (why does VZ Navigator still exist??), and I'd like to actually receive updates on a time scale NOT measured in centuries....so I'm looking for an unlocked phone. Not sure if that's still a hard thing to find or not.

Anyhow, if I'm looking for a brand new top-of-the-line phone, and I'm not desperate for it today, is Pixel 2 the answer? I've got time to wait, and I've heard that the Pixel 2 will be out in October. Not sure if my phone will last that long, but if it does I can hold out.

edit: OK so I'm sure that doesn't really narrow down options, but I'm just starting to look so I don't know what the major things are that sets phones apart these days. IF the pixel 2 is more than 6 months out, then I might need to start narrowing things down. And I guess the only reason I'm considering that phone is due to the success of the Pixel, so maybe I'm just blindly steering for that hoping I don't have to work to make decisions.

I would say Pixel 2 or Note 8, but since you're on Verizon and want timely updates I'd narrow it down to just the Pixel 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I just ordered a G5+ to replace my original OnePlus because its been acting up a lot. I need a not really water proof case for it though. Something like this: http://www.pelican.com/us/en/explore/videos/installation-instructions-for-marine-iphone-7-plus-case/

Does anyone know of a case similar to that for a G5? I don't actually need it to be water proof. I run a lot and put my phone in a thin nylon belt (Flipbelt), but sometimes its raining and even when its not I sweat enough that the phone gets wet. Right now the best option honestly seems like a ziplock bag with the top open for the headphone cable, but I'd to get a real case.