Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe

Aves Maria! posted:

this hurts, i thought we shared some good times
oh sorry, i didn't realise you posted itt! i like you :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Motto posted:

You guys really need to get away from online and go outside some, geez

went for a bike ride earlier and gonna have a square of dark chocolate, tonight's shaping up to be a good one :getin:

ziggurat posted:

oh sorry, i didn't realise you posted itt! i like you :shobon:

:shobon:

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 21, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The real shame of the Democratic party isn't even losing in red states, its the fact that they can't even win in states that are consistently blue in presidential elections.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm starting to feel genuine remorse at making very obvious trolls and jokes in this thread if the number of people who are claiming to have been sent to therapy or the hospital by the election is close to accurate.

You should vote in November, but maybe take a break for a little bit? There is very little that Trump can do as President that will have as direct an impact on your life as something that requires therapy or an outpatient visit.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I can't wait to see what you shitpost in 2020.

Nothing I will post in 2020 will be worse than the POST YOUR MAP self-delusions of the 2016 election thread.

I'm assuming all those people were purged in the great election doxx, so we'll have to see what obnoxious thing the next generation of goons come up with.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

boner confessor posted:

this district is one of the most educated in the country, higher than boston, san francisco, and seattle
Maybe that's the Democrats' problem. Say what you want about stupid people, they're reliable voters.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
The day after Trump won, i went on a suicidal drug bender for a week straight until i had a psychotic break, lost most everything in my life, and spent 5 weeks in a mental facility. I have a feeling Trump broke a shitload of people.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, wouldn't want to keep upsetting Republicans.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

So what you're saying is, Pelosi will be the dem candidate in 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Confounding Factor posted:

Wait you went to the hospital because Trump won? What happened, were you suicidal?

Well my mind went into some pretty dark places. I'm not afraid to admit that for 12 days after the election I was poo poo posting in the old thread from inside a ward.

And no they didn't take our clothes and shoelaces away. And the food was reasonably good. Plus unlimited Goldfish crackers and Oreos.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm starting to feel genuine remorse at making very obvious trolls and jokes in this thread if the number of people who are claiming to have been sent to therapy or the hospital by the election is close to accurate.

If one of my posts caused someone to kill themselves I would literally be in a nuthouse right now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
rip jon ossoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wubB76vlWL0

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is annoying but not a big deal in the sense that the ratfuckers already control everything. Republican politicians and Republican voters have made it clear that they value partisanship over everything. Everything.

The only places Democrats are going to win are where they turn out in greater numbers than Republicans. End of story. Republicans are not going to jump the fence or stay home in meaningful numbers. It's up to Democrats to show up and outvote them.

Until that happens we will have the continuous circus of horrible bullshit that is Republicans Running The Show. Nothing else will stop it. Not scandal, not investigations... nothing. This is not going to be another Watergate because the Republicans will never abandon Trump. Never.

Voting them out is the only method left to get rid of them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

You should vote in November, but maybe take a break for a little bit? There is very little that Trump can do as President that will have as direct an impact on your life as something that requires therapy or an outpatient visit.

Yeah my therapy experience is why I've dropped my whole "actually banks/finance are good" gimmick. It's not helping anyone.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

1968: Hubert Humphrey lost because he represented the Johnson status quo. Most importantly, he was Pro-Vietnam War when half the base hated it. He only got the nomination because the primary system was way less open than it is now (and because RFK died. Not the Left Wing candidate by a long shot (McCarthy was). He also lost by a small margin.
1972: McGovern ran an incredibly incompetent campaign against a very popular incumbent president. His VP had to drop out of the race after his mental health issues came to light, and the primary that elected him was very contentious and drove deep divides within the Democratic Party (Nixon helped ratfuck it to be this way, fyi). The Labor Unions refused to endorse him because of his staunch anti-war platform. Said anti-war platform was undermined by the October Surprise when Nixon announced a peace deal.
1976: Carter ran as a populist outsider in a post-Watergate wave.

I don't think any post McGovern (or maybe Mondale) candidates have been truly leftwing since it was the Watergate babies who first started to abandon the unions and labor politics. The party became more socially progressive over time, but that happened even with the centrist candidates. Obama definitely ran a left-populist campaign, to the point that people on this site joked about "Campaign Obama" being better than President Obama for years. Not to mention, political attitudes and mores change, and you're effectively arguing that we can never have good policy because of elections that happened decades ago.

Yeah no kidding. The actual left hated Humphrey and called him the "drugstore liberal" for a reason.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/AlexNBCNews/status/877332939457146889

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
All we have to do is get rid of every person Republicans could possibly demonize and then we'll finally win!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

The real shame of the Democratic party isn't even losing in red states, its the fact that they can't even win in states that are consistently blue in presidential elections.

Wait, which of these reliably blue Presidential states are you referring?
- Kansas
- Montana
- South Carolina
- Georgia

Kansas 'recently overrode thee governor and raised taxes so it must be them right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol at Kerry being the most liberal senator in 2004

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

This is annoying but not a big deal in the sense that the ratfuckers already control everything. Republican politicians and Republican voters have made it clear that they value partisanship over everything. Everything.

The only places Democrats are going to win are where they turn out in greater numbers than Republicans. End of story. Republicans are not going to jump the fence or stay home in meaningful numbers. It's up to Democrats to show up and outvote them.

Until that happens we will have the continuous circus of horrible bullshit that is Republicans Running The Show. Nothing else will stop it. Not scandal, not investigations... nothing. This is not going to be another Watergate because the Republicans will never abandon Trump. Never.

In a bit of a silver lining, the SC race lines up with nationwide results that show around a 15 point swing to the Dems. If this was really an R+20 district then GA-06 will line up with it too.

I dunno, that's all I've got.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

Yeah my therapy experience is why I've dropped my whole "actually banks/finance are good" gimmick. It's not helping anyone.

That was a gimmick? You fucker, I actually hated you.

Stop all the loving irony gimmicks, jesus christ can't we just talk like people?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

bono bad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

this district is one of the most educated in the country, higher than boston, san francisco, and seattle

Yet voluntarily living in Georgia, therefore backwards hillbillies sorry,

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

empty whippet box posted:

So what you're saying is, Pelosi will be the dem candidate in 2020

Republicans will run successful campaigns against her in 2020.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Stop all the loving irony gimmicks, jesus christ can't we just talk like people?

Nerds don't know how to do that

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

They would do the same thing to the next Minority Leader, or to Schumer.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Given that Republicans have a dead-simple strategy to turn any Democrat into a super-Marxist trying to steal your property from you, getting rid of Pelosi wouldn't help. The Democrats need to get better at getting their base out to vote and having a stronger counter-strategy that even has half the success of the Republican's "Liberals are out to destroy your country".

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dick Trauma posted:

Truly, the saddest thing about these elections is that the win/lose end result will completely eclipse what the voter population is becoming. This is yet another election where it started off with commentary about the the voter demographic, but that's going to be washed out . No one is talking anymore about the previous elections that were the ones to look toward and how they could shake everything up and this and that.

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
how many times do i have to predict the future before you idiots start listening to me, for fucks sake men and women of nineveh the time is nigh, repent, loving repent you fools

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/877343140344188928

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Nerds don't know how to do that

loving lmao at all these loving idiots going "Oh, poo poo, saying a bunch of inflammatory poo poo...is bad?!?"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

People probably turn to it as a coping mechanism, making other people miserable eases the pain, etc., etc.

They are real big pieces of poo poo while they do this

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WampaLord posted:

Apparently not if multiple people in this thread went to the hospital and had psychotic breaks on November 6th.

I'm all about obsessing over political minutae and caring too much, but a comedy forum discussing politics 24/7 is probably the last place you should be (the royal you).

Get some exercise, eat right, get your mental state in a good place, and get ready to vote in a year and a half.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

There is very little that Trump can do as President that will have as direct an impact on your life as something that requires therapy or an outpatient visit.

*signs ahca on july 4th weekend*

my therapist: i'm afraid our time is up. permanently.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Love you guys.

I think this song sums up the thread for the past couple of days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE9Uz_YMHnc

Okay the Trump thread is bringing up ska so the Trump thread loving rules now.
Also relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxnZZk_iYLA

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well my mind went into some pretty dark places. I'm not afraid to admit that for 12 days after the election I was poo poo posting in the old thread from inside a ward.

And no they didn't take our clothes and shoelaces away. And the food was reasonably good. Plus unlimited Goldfish crackers and Oreos.

Sounds like a nice place, all we had were off brand Vanila Wafers, that tasted of cardboard.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

It started as just me being contrarian then morphed into...yeah.

I used to work for one of the three bank regulators. Banks are loving scum.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Erostratus posted:

The day after Trump won, i went on a suicidal drug bender for a week straight until i had a psychotic break, lost most everything in my life, and spent 5 weeks in a mental facility. I have a feeling Trump broke a shitload of people.

drat that's awful, hope you are doing better. Any rational sane person rightfully should have despair-like feelings when Trump won, but it can be much worse for others understandably.

If its any comfort just remember Trump ain't gonna live or be in office forever. He's probably going to wind up being a 1-term president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sinteres posted:

Nate Silver's guess yesterday was about 70/30 Ossof, which are the same odds he put on Hillary last year.

Nothus posted:

The old Nate Silver kiss of death.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Locked thread