Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

hifi posted:

I'm not sure, the entire short-range game for the cardinals are loopy screen passes and dumpoffs and laser-accurate out routes and that sort of finesse stuff, and if kaepernick is really only a one-note passer like 49ers posters have said in the past then he would look really bad if a team were to try and shut down the deep routes at the expense of man coverage on the shorter routes. like, palmer threw maybe half a dozen slant routes all year versus what felt like half that when harbaugh was coaching the 49ers and kaep.

Fair enough, you would know better than I do. I thought Kaep's big arm fit the "unleash the dragon" mentality that Arians seems to have.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All this talk about Kap has reminded me of how the Packers have been incapable of handling mobile quarterbacks for like decades now. That first playoff loss in Lambeau against Michael Vick still shines clear in my memory.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SKULL.GIF posted:

All this talk about Kap has reminded me of how the Packers have been incapable of handling mobile quarterbacks for like decades now. That first playoff loss in Lambeau against Michael Vick still shines clear in my memory.

Ugh, goddamnit Micah Hyde YOU HAD ONE JOB TO DO

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

"yes! Yes gimme all the george soros dollars, ruining my own ability to play football and create Colin Kaepernick dollars" - Colin Kaepernick, paid protester

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shangri-Law School posted:

Fair enough, you would know better than I do. I thought Kaep's big arm fit the "unleash the dragon" mentality that Arians seems to have.

I could see it working, and maybe they have enough plays in the playbook to tailor an offense to him, but like I said I'd rather see stanton be the backup for limited spot appearances and whatever he does in the meeting room. If palmer's out for an extended period then i'd rather have kaepernick, although the cardinals probably wouldn't go out and sign him mid-season

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I am excited to watch my team, the Titans of Tennessee, play football games in a few months time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eric Berry is #13 on the NFL list and is nowhere to be found on the PFF top 50.

Clearly PFF needs to begin using black mass stats.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I am excited to watch my team, the Titans of Tennessee, play football games in a few months time.

I am also excited to watch your team, the Titans of Tennessee, play football games in a few months. Hopefully, cheering for Mariota and Walker will distract me from the depressing sinkhole that is my team, the Nine-and-Forty of San Franciscose.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://www.outsports.com/2017/6/20/15835374/ryan-ocallaghan-gay-nfl-new-england-patriots-kansas-city-chiefs

This is heartbreaking but much respect to Scott Pioli, as weird as that is to say.

Nov 6, 2002

Jesus Christ. :stare:

Good read.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

Blocking for Aaron Rodgers, whom O’Callaghan had known in high school and with whom he became close friends at Cal, grabbed him the attention of pro teams always looking to protect their franchise quarterbacks in a league that increasingly relied on the passing game.

:thunk: just how close...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Justin Gilbert suspended for a year

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

drat, that's one hell of a story.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Looking at that 2014 first round, I don't think the Browns could have selected any players worse than Justin Gilbert or Johnny Manziel.

Nov 6, 2002

WHOOPS posted:

Looking at that 2014 first round, I don't think the Browns could have selected any players worse than Justin Gilbert or Johnny Manziel.

Dominique Easley says hi.

Edit: I guess he's still in the NFL - I thought the Rams had cut him - so you're probably right.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Edit: I guess he's still in the NFL - I thought the Rams had cut him - so you're probably right.

please stop drafting and ruining gators

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He was pretty high up on PFFs defensive lineman disruption rankings or whatever it was recently, but also he's starting defensive end in the 3-4 this year lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

Yeah, I think they easily made the worst two picks, and let TJ Ward walk and screwed around with Alex Mack, causing him to walk as well the next year.

So really the Browns had 4 major assets that offseason and zeroed all of them.

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

please stop drafting and ruining gators

Lack of functioning knees did that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I think they easily made the worst two picks, and let TJ Ward walk and screwed around with Alex Mack, causing him to walk as well the next year.

So really the Browns had 4 major assets that offseason and zeroed all of them.

I was so happy when Lombardi was fired after the way him and Bannon did Chudzinski dirty, but we ended up with 2 years of an even worse front office that probably set the team back 5 years all on its own.

Free Agents such as Tramon Williams, Paul Krueger, Ben Tate, Dwayne Bowe, and Donte Whitner.

1/4 on 1st round draft Picks, since I have hope for Danny Shelton working out still.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

i too am glad to watch future super bowl champions the tennessee titans

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Metapod posted:

i too am glad to watch future super bowl champions the tennessee titans

2077 is gonna be a hell of a year

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Lol trump will kill us all before then

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Chris James 2 posted:

Justin Gilbert suspended for a year

I was pissed when the Steelers cut him like 6 months into his change of scenery tour in Pittburgh. That explains it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
hey guys apparently cam newton is the 3rd most accurate qb in the league

quote:

More from Fahey:
4. In reply to someone mentioning Cian's exclusion of below 10 yard accuracy "There were a couple reasons for this, but one id like to highlight: For some reason "accurate" QBs can be bad deep passers."
5. "Benjamin cost Cam Newton 13 receptions on accurate throws last year, more than any other Panthers WR"
6. "Cam Newton's yards per attempt ranked 24th in the league last year. When you adjust for quality of receivers he ranked third."
7. "Kirk Cousins' Lost Yardage (yards lost to receiver error) over 16 games: 181 yards. Cam Newton Lost Yardage from Weeks 1-3: 118 yards."
8. "When people use accurate as a lone descriptor they are typically talking about guys who complete a lot of passes, creates misrepresentation."

kalli when you're bored at work tomorrow please tell me how any sane human gets to these numbers

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article144385454.html

Same dude from April

He's clearly intelligent and right and handsome

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

There were 3 or 4 glaring proofreading errors in that article and I only skimmed it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

CIAN FAHEY IS loving poo poo

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

FizFashizzle posted:

hey guys apparently cam newton is the 3rd most accurate qb in the league

the most accurate was sam bradford (lmao) which highlights the issue with pure accuracy as a stat

i'd bet alex smith is probably pretty accurate on checkdowns too

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Spoeank posted:

CIAN FAHEY IS loving poo poo

I like Cam a lot but I agree. Even this past season he was all over Davante Adams for drops and saying he's a lovely WR when he didn't have many and he's not. He's a hot take artist

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
While there is room for interpretation on what is a dropped pass, or whose fault is it really, I do greatly respect the fact that Cian Fahey allows for nuance and tries to look at what actually happened on the play rather than just blindly following yard/TD/INT.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

kiimo posted:

Eric Berry is #13 on the NFL list and is nowhere to be found on the PFF top 50.

Clearly PFF needs to begin using black mass stats.

quote:

Next up is Berry, who is ranked at No. 52 overall:

“Eric Berry continued his fine play for the Chiefs in the heart of the Kansas City defense. Berry earned strong grades against both the run and pass, making 18 defensive stops on the season and picking off four passes. Overall, he did very little wrong, and played well in a role that saw him back deep as a free safety more this year than in the past.

Best performance: Week 15 vs. Titans, 87.0 grade

Key stat: Berry played just 18.8 percent of his snaps in the box as a strong safety in 2016.“

Berry was also Honorable Mention on their All NFL team.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cian Fahey believes in Ryan Tannehill

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think "Kirk Cousins is overrated because his receivers always bail him out" is a more respectable hot take than "WILLINGNESS to stay in the pocket is more important than results from the pocket" so Fahey's okay with me.

(Incidentally, he also likes my team's quarterback.)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I understand the difference in accuracy v completion/attempt but if Cam newton was really some super accurate passer you'd expect that to correlate into something like higher YAC, especially with passes under 10 yards, which the panthers really bad at.

like all of his examples of accuracy involve a twenty yard pass that a wide receiver has to jump and go to the ground to catch.

that doesn't strike me as accuracy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Fahey would rather have Sam Bradford than Matthew Stafford.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cian Fahey is interesting because he does a ton of film analysis and basically ignores stats in favor of it, and is also a gigantic hot take machine who loves to whine on twitter.

So he has some good analysis, but he'll also like, make 4 gifs of Sam Bradford passes and then yell at people about how he's better then Andrew Luck about it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, I guess the linebacker depth is a bit of an issue...

Patriots signed (LB) David Harris to a 2 year deal. Jets cut him last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Kalli posted:

Huh, I guess the linebacker depth is a bit of an issue...

Patriots signed (LB) David Harris to a 2 year deal. Jets cut him last week.

gently caress. Was hoping we'd make a run at him

Still, gotta keep that AFCEncest going.

• Locked thread