Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cythereal posted:

Hold on, the moff was a lesbian? I only read the first of those books and certainly got that impression from her, but the explicitly gay person in the book was the ex-commissar.

Both the Moff and Sinjir were gay. I don't remember the exact line, but there was an explicit mention for the Moff as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

Both the Moff and Sinjir were gay. I don't remember the exact line, but there was an explicit mention for the Moff as well.

What happens to her between EE and TFA? is she around?

Also, because I'm immature, if she was closed ala the original Trawn trilogy, would she be the muff?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

504 posted:

What happens to her between EE and TFA? is she around?

Also, because I'm immature, if she was closed ala the original Trawn trilogy, would she be the muff?

You know what? poo poo, I was wrong, Moff Mors, who is a lesbian, wasn't in Aftermath, she was in Lords of the Sith, where it is made explicit that she's gay. Sinjir is the only main gay character in the Aftermath series. My mistake.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love how that character was super hyped as "the first gay character in Star Wars ever, we're so progressive now!" when A) there were gay characters in the old EU, B) the moff was explicitly described as being old and fat and ugly and liking to keep hot young Twi'leks as her sex slaves. Progress!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, re: A she was the first openly gay character in the canon reboot

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Chairman Capone posted:

I love how that character was super hyped as "the first gay character in Star Wars ever, we're so progressive now!" when A) there were gay characters in the old EU, B) the moff was explicitly described as being old and fat and ugly and liking to keep hot young Twi'leks as her sex slaves. Progress!

Way to go, Disney. :rolleyes:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

At least Sinjir is awesome. His character is one of the only things I absolutely love about the Aftermath series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was there a formal embargo on gay characters appearing in the old EU? Bioware was expressly told they couldn't make Juhani a love interest for female Revan in KOTOR and couldn't be explicit that Belaya had been her girlfriend, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was there a formal embargo on gay characters appearing in the old EU? Bioware was expressly told they couldn't make Juhani a love interest for female Revan in KOTOR and couldn't be explicit that Belaya had been her girlfriend, right?

And from what I've read, Bioware had to fight tooth and nail to keep Juhani in the game at all.

Even TOR didn't have queer characters until the first expansion (which you had to pay for, incidentally).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know how explicit it was, but there certainly was a dearth of openly gay characters. Even the gay couple from Traviss' books was more implied than explicit, IIRC

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some Bioware flunky caused a controversy in the run up to the TOR release by saying on the official forums that there were no gay people on Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember going onto the KOTOR pre-release website in early 2003 when Juhani was still called Bastila and Bastila was still Vima (?) Sunrider.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I DON'T LIKE 'EM PUTTIN' MIDICHLORIANS IN THE BLUE MILK THAT ARE TURNING THE FREAKIN' RYBETS GAY!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Casimir Radon posted:

Some Bioware flunky caused a controversy in the run up to the TOR release by saying on the official forums that there were no gay people on Star Wars.

That has been badly misreported. What the Bioware person said was "People in Star Wars don't think of gay or bisexual or straight as identities, they just love who they love and don't define themselves with words like gay."

Still took until the first expansion to have any opportunity to express same-sex attraction, one of those a woman both genders can sexually harass who you never see or hear from again after that planet's arc and only for Republic players, and one gay dude for Imperial players who can die during the planet's story and is never seen or heard from again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's because post 2011 Bioware is pretty bad to be honest.
If Bastila had been Vima Sunrider that would have been amazing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Carrie Fisher had cocaine and heroin in her system when she died. Too bad, I was hoping she'd kicked it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

There's a reason 12 steppers say they're in recovery, not recovered. Most people can never truly kick it, they just get it temporarily under control. But it's always there, fighting to lure you back.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I liked how the lesbian girl in the Ahsoka novel was handled: everyone knew about her sexuality but didn't care (other than good natured ribbing about her crush) and the "reveal" was a non-issue.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's because post 2011 Bioware is pretty bad to be honest.
If Bastila had been Vima Sunrider that would have been amazing.

Blame Jeep.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So you know the upcoming ANH 40-story anthology that's going to include an entry from Ashley Eckstein?

Well, it's also going to include a story by Wil Wheaton.

And if that wasn't weird enough, Hugo- and Nebula-award winning author Nnedi Okorafor is going to be doing a short story from the POV of the dianoga.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Wheaton seems like a weird choice, and I don't know how to feel about it.

Okorafor writing about the dianoga is a weird choice and I love it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that a pov story about a cyclops octopus monster might just take the cake for most superfluous star wars fluff ever written, and that includes the old EU otter sex.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wil Wheaton is probably a deal breaker for me. If he didn't wear out his welcome 30 years ago he certainly did as an internet celebrity 10 years ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He seems like a really fun and genuine guy. I don't know how much he knows about Star Wars...but I expect whatever he writes will, if nothing else, be fun.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

jivjov posted:

He seems like a really fun and genuine guy. I don't know how much he knows about Star Wars...but I expect whatever he writes will, if nothing else, be fun.

I agree. I never get why people don't like the guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wil Wheton is a dude who parlayed being a massively hated character into a fairly successful career because he's apparently a pretty nice guy. I can't really hate him for not going the Jake Lloyd path though at least he had the advantage of not being 10. .

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Idk, Wheton get's really cringey towards all the women on his shows. It's hard to watch for me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ruh ro!

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-message-from-lucasfilm-regarding-the-untitled-han-solo-film

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh boy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yay more reshoots so that we can turn this into another goddamn origin story film. How did Han Solo get his name? Where did he get his pants? How DID that card game go where he won the falcon?

When Miller and Lord were first announced they said that they just wanted to make a Han Solo adventure, but it looks like Disney has really been pushing the origin angle on them and they finally said gently caress it and quit. But they've been filming a ton so far, which means that to scrub them from the film there is going to be another round of reshoots almost guaranteed.

These spinoff movies are turning into the DC Watchmen spinoff comics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Variety has more details on it, which they claim is due to Kennedy's very strong presence on set and her not liking them doing things their own way, which does not bode well for whoever Lucasfilm gets to replace them.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And that person might be... Ron Howard!

:stonklol:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Oh boy, another origin story film that's going to be jam-packed with heavy-handed references to minor bullshit that didn't need explaining from the originals. Sign me the gently caress up for Rogue Two: Electric Wookieloo!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfIYEvH07Ns

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yay more reshoots so that we can turn this into another goddamn origin story film. How did Han Solo get his name? Where did he get his pants? How DID that card game go where he won the falcon?

When Miller and Lord were first announced they said that they just wanted to make a Han Solo adventure, but it looks like Disney has really been pushing the origin angle on them and they finally said gently caress it and quit. But they've been filming a ton so far, which means that to scrub them from the film there is going to be another round of reshoots almost guaranteed.

These spinoff movies are turning into the DC Watchmen spinoff comics.

Rumors are saying they didn't quit, but were outright fired. I keep reading directors say Lucasfilm isn't controlling them, and they're able to do they're own thing, and now I read this.

Like, maybe they actually had some terrible ideas, like adapting the Han Solo story where he fights an otter. But until I hear that's the case, I'm taking this as a sign of a huge problem.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

thrawn527 posted:

Rumors are saying they didn't quit, but were outright fired. I keep reading directors say Lucasfilm isn't controlling them, and they're able to do they're own thing, and now I read this.

Like, maybe they actually had some terrible ideas, like adapting the Han Solo story where he fights an otter. But until I hear that's the case, I'm taking this as a sign of a huge problem.

I would be far more likely to see the movie if it featured young han punching the devil out of a space otter, tbh

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I want to see a movie explaining how Jaba convinced Leia to put on that bikini.

Also I want to see said bikini being put on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Leaked emails indicate that Lord and Miller were unwilling to comply with Kathleen Kennedy's instructions that Han should challenge Boba Fett to a tough mudder obstacle course, listen to EDM remixes of Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes and shoot a Greedo look-alike under a cantina table before remarking that it was "N.B.D."

Very buzzworthy.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I'm more inclined to believe the Hollywood Report's take, which is that they were fired because they had conflicts with Kasdan and some of the actors, and that they were being too jokey/improvising too much at the expense of the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That just raises the question of "what did they expect?" when they hired them in the first place. Improv and off the cuff scripting is how all of their movies have been made.