Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Guy Goodbody posted:

Trump might actually lose in 2020, if the Democrats run a good candidate

Someone better put Joe in cryo-stasis or get to work on cloning Obama then, because as of now the Democrat stable is looking pretty weak.

Edit: poo poo thats twice now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, he was going for "the only place more depressing than this thread is grad school".

I'm an archaeologist, I work at a site where we have hard documentation of people eating fourteen year old servant girls to stay alive. It can ALWAYS be worse.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Glazier posted:

And when you lose in 2018? Then what? What about 2020 when Trump will be reelected in a landslide, what then?

The dead will be piled up along the roads leading into and out of towns, the entire country reeking with the stench of decay, and the sky will be filled with the constant buzzing of flies. At times, their swarms will be so thick that when one passes it'll feel as if a cloud had gone over the sun. Every day there will be more crows, and rats will be everywhere, feeding on the dead. Stray cats will grow fat on a plentiful rodent diet, at least those that avoid being used for target practice. The wise and capable will flee the country, having seen the writing on the walls. The rest of us will be forsaken, left to hide from the roving patrols of pickups, proudly flying Confederate flags as they cull the rest of liberal America.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

enraged_camel posted:

Right, you keep believing that. Lmao.

Democrats are all the same. "We got absolutely crushed despite outspending our opponent 2 to 1, but just watch us in 2018/2020!"

you're right, Trump is going to turn into a super popular president any day now

the pivot is coming

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

Trump might actually lose in 2020, if the Democrats run a good candidate

So like I said, when they lose in 2020 what then?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Don't let the anger and disappointment get to you; use it to hold these people's feet to the fire! They want you to give up and assume nothing matters, because cynicism and apathy is exactly what helps them win.

But Trump's numbers are in the mid to high 30 and don't show any evidence of rising (even something like the baseball shooting didn't help him); Mueller's investigation is happening apace; the American people loathe the AHCA and, if reports can be believed, the coalition to vote for that piece of poo poo bill is fractious.

Stop giving up so easily. We're still more that a year out from the midterms. That's plenty of time for more of Trump's incriminating tweets evidence of collusion to come out, and for his incompetence to bite him in the rear end. We're rapidly approaching a debt ceiling crisis that there's no evidence that the congress will even be able to address meaningfully. This is far from over, and I'm just saving up that anger so that I can express myself by my ballot in November of 2018.

Nah, gently caress them. The only thing that will give me comfort when I'm in the camps is that people like mcmagic and covok were miserable for longer than I was.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
woof so everyone in this thread got infected by covok then huh

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Aves Maria! posted:

the pivot is coming

GA-6 is when Trump truly became Presidential

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moatman posted:

Nah, gently caress them. The only thing that will give me comfort when I'm in the camps is that people like mcmagic and covok were miserable for longer than I was.

Covok is a 24-year old accountant. He's rich and happy as hell. He's just bored.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Quandary posted:

Run! It's too late for us, but you can still save yourself!

wait no you can't, embrace the whirlpool of despair

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Oxxidation posted:

Covok is a 24-year old accountant. He's rich and happy as hell. He's just bored.

This is the most depressing thing I've read all night.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Quandary posted:

it's sad brains all the way down

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Oxxidation posted:

Arzy: The Next Generation

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Quandary posted:

Trump Thread II: The Covok Infection

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zil posted:

Someone better put Joe in cryo-stasis or get to work on cloning Obama then, because as of now the Democrat stable is looking pretty weak.

I think they just need a person who isn't going in with massive unfavorables and already under investigation by the FBI, who is willing to yell "15 dollar minimum wage" and "Medicare for all" at the top of their lungs every hour on the hour.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Quandary posted:

Republican legislators from the local level to the federal level don't fear competition from the left. They fear primaries from the right. That is the definition of the Democratic party becoming irrelevant. Eventually, after the Democrats are completely a local rump party, the Republicans will split into an establishment right party and a far-right party.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Glazier posted:

And when you lose in 2018? Then what? What about 2020 when Chimp will be reelected in a landslide, what then?

Who says the Dems are going to lose in 2018? That's more than a year away, and like every party that has near-total control of the government, the GOP is going to overreach and piss people off. If the AHCA won't do it, the collusion eventually will. I'm reasonably sure that there are HUGE skeletons in Chimp's closet that Mueller will be going over with a fine-tooth comb.

Even if nothing much comes of that by 2020, Chimp will be - what - 74? There's already been a lot of chatter in this thread about him showing signs of dementia. But even beyond that, he's a massively unpopular president who probably isn't going to magically become more popular in the next three years. Sure...he has his base, but he's even beginning to piss some of them off, and they were only a fraction of the country anyway. The courts keep rebuking him and the people are increasingly unhappy with the BS he's trying to do.

I'm not saying that things aren't bad or that the GOP's capacity for evil should be underestimated, but they're in the same place of the 2009/2010 Dems, and they keep shooting themselves in the foot with the AHCA, quadrupling down on their unquestioned loyalty to a president willing to incriminate himself, etc. I'm not wearing rose-colored glasses, but all things must pass eventually. The GOP's current "governance" is not sustainable beyond '18 or '20.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Taerkar posted:

GA-6 is when Trump truly became Presidential

turns out Dems losing super red districts by small margins is the key to Trump's next electoral victory, we should've known

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Petr posted:

Republican legislators from the local level to the federal level don't fear competition from the left. They fear primaries from the right. That is the definition of the Democratic party becoming irrelevant. Eventually, after the Democrats are completely a local rump party, the Republicans will split into an establishment right party and a far-right party.

This is stupid, the Dems lost one election, and are still massively favored to win future presidential elections thanks to demographic factors. Stop becoming a depressed suicidal poo poo thanks to one election.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Aves Maria! posted:

the pivot is coming

We need a Democrat (or whoever replaces them) to be popular, Trump being unpopular doesn't help us as much as you think with his baked in incumbent advantage. Until we know who's running (and more importantly who the DNC allows to win) there's no reason to assume Trump won't win.

Quorum posted:

This is stupid, the Dems lost one election, and are still massively favored to win future presidential elections thanks to demographic factors. Stop becoming a depressed suicidal poo poo thanks to one election.

People really need to stop saying this after last year. That promise already fell flat and it will keep doing so until we taste victory again. I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, just that motivating voters by telling them the future is bright is a bald faced lie.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 21, 2017

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Right, you keep believing that. Lmao.

Democrats are all the same. "We got absolutely crushed despite outspending our opponent 2 to 1, but just watch us in 2018/2020!"

in 2020 we get to watch the knives come out as the Republicans try to decide if they want to primary trump

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Lol
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/877343140344188928
https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/877359230415626241

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Deified Data posted:

We need a Democrat (or whoever replaces them) to be popular, Trump being unpopular doesn't help us as much as you think with his baked in incumbent advantage. Until we know who's running (and more importantly who the DNC allows to win) there's no reason to assume Trump won't win.

I'm assuming it's not going to be Hillary Clinton, that alone edges it pretty well towards a win

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Aves Maria! posted:

turns out Dems losing super red districts by small margins is the key to Trump's next electoral victory, we should've known

Hey listen, as someone who only started paying attention to politics last year let me tell you about how I know the next two elections will turn out.

For a bonus I'll make several claims that demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of the way things work.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
trump isn't making it out of 2017 you broke brained fucks

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is the stupidest goddamn take. You don't need to swing Republicans, non-voters are a far larger group.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Quorum posted:

I'm an archaeologist, I work at a site where we have hard documentation of people eating fourteen year old servant girls to stay alive. It can ALWAYS be worse.

poo poo, there are people in the GOP who would pay money to do that now, and probably have.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wondered this, but the next special elections will be in August, for the senate seat in Alabama (the guy in there now was appointed and has to win to stay in the seat), and UT-03. The PVI in UT-03 is loving R+25 and lol Alabama so there's no chance of winning either election and it'll be strictly "can we get it under 10% to send a message to the GOP that they are in trouble?"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

When accounting services get automated I hope it starts with that dipshits position

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

as a coethnic, gently caress off and die

chinese race supremacists like you are a disgrace and do nothing but alienate the rest of nonwhite america

let that post you made stand as a reminder that you and your ilk don't see non-chinese asian americans as anything other than warm bodies for you to talk and walk over

lmao, apparently not worshipping at the altar of white liberal racism makes me a chinese race supremacist.

this is why trump won etc.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Quorum posted:

Where do you work?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Didn't someone say like a hundred pages or more ago that if Ossoff won it'd be a vindication of lovely centrism? Guess we don't have to worry about that one anymore.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Flapjack Monty posted:

The dead will be piled up along the roads leading into and out of towns, the entire country reeking with the stench of decay, and the sky will be filled with the constant buzzing of flies. At times, their swarms will be so thick that when one passes it'll feel as if a cloud had gone over the sun. Every day there will be more crows, and rats will be everywhere, feeding on the dead. Stray cats will grow fat on a plentiful rodent diet, at least those that avoid being used for target practice. The wise and capable will flee the country, having seen the writing on the walls. The rest of us will be forsaken, left to hide from the roving patrols of pickups, proudly flying Confederate flags as they cull the rest of liberal America.

Well look who successfully predicted January 21, 2017.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

RZApublican posted:

Didn't someone say like a hundred pages or more ago that if Ossoff won it'd be a vindication of lovely centrism? Guess we don't have to worry about that one anymore.

There was literally no result that could have come out tonight that wouldn't have made this thread insufferable.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Deified Data posted:

this is not and has never been how primaries worked, if you like someone then vote for them, the DNC literally does not get to decide this stuff, and in fact has very little power over anything at all besides occasionally fundraising. Blame people you like losing on not enough people liking them, no more.

If you like someone for president now, I encourage you to start laying the groundwork. The failing for most unsuccessful presidential primary runs has been insufficient ground work, and only you can solve this problem for Future Space Communist Duckworth.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RZApublican posted:

Bernie would have won GA-6.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Bye for a while, thread.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Quorum fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 21, 2017

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I can't imagine a bigger indictment of DCCC than SC-5 turning out closer than GA-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

People in a lovely red state elected a lovely republican candidate? Well I'll be damned.

• Locked thread