Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :suicide:

I wanted to experience if GM engineering really is as cynical as suggested online. And it was really cheap.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is something to that. Some people get a thrill from that stuff.

Although I'm surprised you can't get alero parts as it's on a platform shared with a billion other GM models, some of which I'd assume we're sold in the Netherlands.

Nope. It was sold here as the Chevrolet Alero to at least be a bit less obscure to consumers, but all that entails is letters 'chevrolet' stuck on the trunk lid, it's still got Olds logos.

Slavvy posted:

Doesn't the alero have a biturbo engine or something?

No, Quad 4 or some V6 that blows intake gaskets. However with its 150HP it is 'fast' for here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Doesn't the alero have a biturbo engine or something?

No. Hah. God no.

High Protein posted:

No, Quad 4 or some V6 that blows intake gaskets. However with its 150HP it is 'fast' for here.

Quad 4s eat head gaskets IIRC, at least my buddy's Grand Am did. He drove it like he stole it all the time, which may not have helped.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:allears: these are my fav ads

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

"I don't actually like bikes. Please give me more than mine is worth"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

M42 posted:

My favorite was one I saw in Los Angeles for an Ewan McGregor Special R1200GS with every single mod, and the guy was gushing about how much he loves the bike, best bike I've ever owned, I will be sad to see this one go, I love this bike so much, on and on,

937 miles.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Still has original tires" ain't a selling point on a 13 year old bike.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I put wood under the kickstand so i dont scratch the underside of the foot."
There are legitimate reasons for widening the surface area of the kickstand but he is clearly on hard asphalt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Old rear end tires might cause the bike to spit you out in a corner, who knows?!?!? Please pay me more than market"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

in otherwords...
"My friends made fun of me and now I need $5000 to buy a sick literbike bro."

Fauxtool posted:

"I put wood under the kickstand so i dont scratch the underside of the foot."
There are legitimate reasons for widening the surface area of the kickstand but he is clearly on hard asphalt

eh... I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say that it's there because either it's a hot day and he doesn't want to leave a divot in the asphalt or he wants the bike more upright because it photographs better that way.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 14, 2017

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I feel like he's saying still has original tires as a good thing, not as an explanation for what you'll need to replace.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I got the same impression. Flat spots thrown in for free!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tjones posted:

I got the same impression. Flat spots thrown in for free!

makes the bike feel more lively

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
And an oil change and coolant flush

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MomJeans420 posted:

I feel like he's saying still has original tires as a good thing, not as an explanation for what you'll need to replace.
Reminds me of the number of people I meet who are obsessed with mileage. Like if you show them a barn find kz440 covered in pigeon poo poo with a bent front end and a seized motor but only 300 miles, they'll think it's worth some money.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Lost my only Buell key a couple weeks ago. But I can still get keys cut! Had to call a dealer halfway across the country to have them order them from... Italy of all places.

Italy?

I HOPE I GET IN BEFORE SUMMER BREAK

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Finger Prince posted:

Well of course it's difficult to find recall data for a company that never issues recalls regardless of how defective their poo poo is. :cheeky:
This.

Update on the 690 loss of oil pressure:

We were told by the customer that he rode it for only 3 or 4 km with the oil light on to get it back to his truck. KTM manuals are poo to begin with, but I got a good laugh out of this one - test for oil pressure at the camshaft tensioner test port - 6psi at warm idle is the minimum spec. Not a flick on two different gauges. The manual lists changing the oil and oil filter as the next probable step if it fails an oil pressure test, no mention what so ever if there is zero pressure - no test for the oil pressure transducer, nothing for wiring or the dash, and it is not a specification listed spec in their diagnostic suite when using the diag tool. I'll bite, I start the bike after removing both filters and there is zero flow coming from either filter well, no oil circulation at all. The 690 LC4 has a dedicated oil pump for the transmission and a dedicated pump for the engine, top and bottom end in one pump. The engine side pump never had the circlip and washer installed on the outward side of the gear, this let the plastic gear walk to the end pf the shaft and let the hardened steel dowel fall out of the pump shaft, letting it freewheel on the shaft. This snapped the oil pump drive gear on the back of the clutch basket and showered plastic shavings over the right side of the transmission. I pulled all the drain plugs and filter screens and went fishing for the missing pin. Found the pin but not the washer or clip.

KTM only authorized a new drive and driven pump gear, new pump shaft, washer, pin and clip, two filters and some gaskets with the idea that if the engine fails later, we will deal with it then. 690 engines sound like rear end right from the get-go, but this one sounded like two skeletons loving in a trash can when it was back together and running with oil pressure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

this one sounded like two skeletons loving in a trash can

Oh I'm definitely stealing this!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

One of my neighbors is teaching her friend to ride on a Sportster in the street. She's shouting "TurnturnTURNTURN!!" at her while she paddles through U-turns up and down the street. I think she's about to send it into a parked car.

edit: HAHAHAAAA up the curb and stuck the front wheel into the neighbor's hedge.

edit: AAaaand she tried to make a right turn for a change and dropped it on the curb.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 17, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds like she should start on a bicycle

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

One of my neighbors is teaching her friend to ride on a Sportster in the street. She's shouting "TurnturnTURNTURN!!" at her while she paddles through U-turns up and down the street. I think she's about to send it into a parked car.

edit: HAHAHAAAA up the curb and stuck the front wheel into the neighbor's hedge.

edit: AAaaand she tried to make a right turn for a change and dropped it on the curb.

WHY AREN'T YOU RECORDING THIS?!?!?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

WHY AREN'T YOU RECORDING THIS?!?!?

I was already being mean-spirited enough by posting about it on the internet.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Is she wearing a helmet?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Helmets are for closersturners

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The first time I rode a motorcycle I almost crashed my friend's sportster into my own car.

The MSF really has basic instruction down to a science.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Flikken posted:

Is she wearing a helmet?

Of course not.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
those will break your neck when you crash into your neighbors shrubbery, don't you know

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh and the new rider was super apologetic when she dropped it, but the owner said "Oh don't worry, that thing has fallen over so many times."

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Spent a week riding the 701 in the Pyrinees, both France and Spain. First day I rode 600 miles of highway, which both my butt and the bike survived just fine. Of course the bike is a ton of fun to bomb around twisty mountain passes. People here often talk about how supermotos are great first bikes, and I agree. But actually riding this thing hard on technical roads has also given me second thoughts on them being a great beginner bike.

The light weight makes it really easy to correct mistakes, in fact, if I enter a corner a bit too hot I can just brake, use the fact that that compresses the front forks to make steering even easier, and try again. On the other hand, I would also say that riding a sumo fast is difficult to master. You have to be willing to use that flickability to steer at the very, very last moment before plowing into a mountain side, and you have to master keeping the engine on the boil (i.e. keeping revs up and shifting a ton) plus deal with the fact that the light weight and upright, loose seating position mean it can be less than confidence inspiring and maybe scary to new riders; your lawnmower engine powered bar stool is going to be moving around under you. I also took my dad's MT09 Tracer down a pass and even though it's much heavier and has worse brakes, the fact that the engine is so elastic that you pretty much don't have to pay any thought to what it's doing, plus the fact that it feels planted like it's on rails with you clamped securely on top of it, might mean that I was just as fast on it. Boring as poo poo, though.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I just rode red river gorge in KY and came away with similar feelings. I feel like when you screw up on a SM it means you're going to be slow instead of on your rear end, but at the same time very rewarding when you get it right. Also, the 701 definitely wants to be ridden hard. Everything feels so much better when you're either hard on the gas or braking. I only ever notice the vibes or seat when I'm just idling along. When'd we I'm on it all that disappears and all you're thinking about is the tiding and how responsive the bike is.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
also good: doesn't stall randomly while idling at stops

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I went to a Ducati demo thing and here are my expert reviews. (Full disclosure: I got 2 free bottles of water and a drink koozie with the dealership's logo)

SuperSport S: This bike was comfy and pretty quick on the highway. Because of morning traffic I didn't get to wring it out on the highway, but the seat was the best thing in the world. That V-twin banging away relentlessly didn't feel like it wanted to rev super high? Maybe it was just how loud it was even at 3k RPM. The engine burned my thighs at every stoplight, but the auto-blipping downshifter was the best thing in the whole world. All crackling and popping.

959 Panigale: My neck hurts, my hands/wrists hurt, my thighs are burning, and my right ear is ringing. This bike was super fun on onramps and on the highway. The engine also seemed...why are you revving me so high? But it was happy going fast on the highway. But loud.

Riding my FZ-09 after those 2 bikes was like creamy butter.

My wife asked me what I wanted to do on father's day and I said: see if I can get on a Hypermotard. Well someone had taken it for the first round, but they had a spare Multistrada 1200.

Multistrada 1200: This bike feels not at all top-heavy or bulky. Easy to ride slowly and maneuver. Once you get the thing up in revs it moves so goddamn fast. The bike actually scared the crap out of me a couple of times, and I was all jaded from riding an FZ-09 every day. It's super comfy of course, and the engine is amazing. This bike is so fast in a straight line.

Hypermotard: Best bike ever. This was the first bike I've ever (I think) ridden where I would trade my bike in the same day. The V-twin was perfect in this application. It had no problems accelerating past 80mph with a lot more left, and it was so easy to maneuver at any speed. It's hard to imagine that I could be even more of an rear end in a top hat on a bike, but drat I think it's possible.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Multistradas are super nice and If I ever need a dad bike I think that might be my first choice.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You could easily do Hypermotard/Multistrada/[track bike or dirt bike] and be all good with 3 bikes.

Unless you wanted to do track AND dirt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I dunno why you'd have a hypermotard and a 1200 multi. You'd find you preferred one or the other after awhile and never ride the other one. Adventure Sport / dirt / track bike is the ideal imo.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I agree but also have an unhealthy desire to own a cruiser :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

I agree but also have an unhealthy desire to own a cruiser :saddowns:

I think these look absolutely grand so feel free to add about forty years to my age immediately.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would totally rock that but not if I had to pay for it and insure.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I think these look absolutely grand so feel free to add about forty years to my age immediately.

I want to ride a goldwing once for the novelty but if I rode that one I'd look like an elf who jacked Santa's sleigh.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
going cross country on one of those would be pretty awesome weather permitting. More comfortable than most bikes but way more fun than a car. The only problem is that I would only ever travel that kind of distance to transport something and while it has cargo, it doesnt come close to the smallest cars.

Now goldwing trikes, those are absolutely retarded
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/6154923008.html
imaging spending over 20k on that crap and now you have to find another sucker to sell it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I want to ride a goldwing once for the novelty but if I rode that one I'd look like an elf who jacked Santa's sleigh.

That's ok they come in grey too.

Fauxtool posted:

going cross country on one of those would be pretty awesome weather permitting. More comfortable than most bikes but way more fun than a car. The only problem is that I would only ever travel that kind of distance to transport something and while it has cargo, it doesnt come close to the smallest cars.

Now goldwing trikes, those are absolutely retarded
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/6154923008.html
imaging spending over 20k on that crap and now you have to find another sucker to sell it to.

I like the idea of filling the tank and riding down to Wellington in a day on something that's A. comfortable and B. carries a lot of stuff and C. isn't a BMW or, god help me, a goldwing.