Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ernesto saves Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway, the answer is yes.

This is just shameful. Well, we live in an era where people can not distinguish between fiction and reality, so I'm really not surprised.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RedSpider posted:

This is just shameful. Well, we live in an era where people can not distinguish between fiction and reality, so I'm really not surprised.

It causes no harm to anyone and it might potentially help out someone in a desperate situation. It's a net good.

Actually, scratch that -- it might potentially help out someone in a desperate situation and it pisses off autistic sociopaths on the internet. It's actually very good

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

maskenfreiheit posted:

I hope it's mostly Mike in a car and nothing gets resolved.

Well, you were half right.

For a show about one man's descent to the dark side the sure to love to backpedal anytime he comes close to doing anything that would irrevocably set him on that path. Dunno whether it's out of genuine affection for the character or an unwillingness to end their mealticket until AMC gives them yet another hard deadline or both but eventually they need to just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmS_VDvMY

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Good ep but I've got to say that, as someone who had a massive relapse into mental illness and killed himself, the car crash in ep 9 was NOT accurate.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I don't know about anyone else, but until that phone number came up on my screen, I thought Michael McKean was a tiny man that lived in my tv.

The good thing is now that my immersion is ruined, I realize that Bob Odenkirk didn't run through my house from my laptop to my tv (I watched BB on Netflix)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RedSpider posted:

This is false. I said having a suicide prevention hotline appear on the screen after a fictional character on a TV show kills himself was unartistic, and frankly, quite baffling. It took me out of the show.

Unfortunately if they didn't put it up everyone involved in the show can be charged with manslaughter

i am not a lawyer

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/16/533220739/text-messages-urging-suicide-result-in-involuntary-manslaughter-conviction

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It was pretty good foreshadowing that Kim got The Mist from Hollywood Video and a person got loving burnt to death in that as well

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

It causes no harm to anyone and it might potentially help out someone in a desperate situation. It's a net good.

Actually, scratch that -- it might potentially help out someone in a desperate situation and it pisses off autistic sociopaths on the internet. It's actually very good

Agreed.

It can only hurt people who are in desperate need for attention, help people who need help, and annoy people who are smart enough to know the difference and can't find a decent place to talk about the finale.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Well, you were half right.

For a show about one man's descent to the dark side the sure to love to backpedal anytime he comes close to doing anything that would irrevocably set him on that path. Dunno whether it's out of genuine affection for the character or an unwillingness to end their mealticket until AMC gives them yet another hard deadline or both but eventually they need to just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmS_VDvMY

I honestly feel like they made a basic strategical mistake in how human they made Jimmy considering the end point is to get him to Saul, a character who is basically a cartoon. Given how glacially they've moved it's pretty difficult to buy him becoming the BB character at all at this point.

That said we don't even know if this show is getting another season and I read the ratings haven't been that hot, it would be kind of just deserts if dragging rear end so much ended up biting the showrunners.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Mods No Masters posted:

I honestly feel like they made a basic strategical mistake in how human they made Jimmy considering the end point is to get him to Saul, a character who is basically a cartoon. Given how glacially they've moved it's pretty difficult to buy him becoming the BB character at all at this point.

That said we don't even know if this show is getting another season and I read the ratings haven't been that hot, it would be kind of just deserts if dragging rear end so much ended up biting the showrunners.

Yeah because Netflix wouldn't pick them up.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

Unfortunately if they didn't put it up everyone involved in the show can be charged with manslaughter

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/16/533220739/text-messages-urging-suicide-result-in-involuntary-manslaughter-conviction

Wait what does this have to do with fictional character killing themselves

Doesn't this happen in every episode of Family Guy

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Spellman posted:

Wait what does this have to do with fictional character killing themselves

Doesn't this happen in every episode of Family Guy

If telling someone to kill them selves is illegal why wouldn't ✨triggering✨ a delicate mind also be actionable?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

maskenfreiheit posted:

If telling someone to kill them selves is illegal why wouldn't ✨triggering✨ a delicate mind also be actionable?

I'd imagine it's because the crazy bitch had the intent to convince the guy to kill himself and literally TOLD him to get back in the car.

Everything is literally shown in all forms of media these days - not everything can be actionable. Putting up a phone number at the end of an intensely emotional episode ending in a suicide is the NICE thing to do regardless of what some Sperging goon on here keeps rambling about.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

True, I will sue Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould for hurting Irene

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CaveGrinch posted:

I'd imagine it's because the crazy bitch had the intent to convince the guy to kill himself and literally TOLD him to get back in the car.

Everything is literally shown in all forms of media these days - not everything can be actionable. Putting up a phone number at the end of an intensely emotional episode ending in a suicide is the NICE thing to do regardless of what some Sperging goon on here keeps rambling about.

I've seen people bitching about that case in a few threads now. I can only imagine it's edgelords worried that they can't shitpost that people should kill themselves anymore.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I seriously doubt AMC is stupid enough to tell the breaking bad production team they can't do another season.

Maybe someday they'll drop a stinker bad enough to burn their trust, but that day has not yet come.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PostNouveau posted:

I've seen people bitching about that case in a few threads now. I can only imagine it's edgelords worried that they can't shitpost that people should kill themselves anymore.

I can only hope you're pro-guilty cuz seriously, as an aspiring lawyer and a believer in human dignity, telling a suicidal to go kill themselves is beyond guilty. If someone you know threatens suicide then please call 911 or whatever your local emergency number is.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I think there's a difference between hoping someone should kill themselves vs. being an intimate trusted confidant who is telling someone to quit being a pussy and end it.

Like I can hope that Trump and Pence take cyanide capsules while romantically embraced. But I can't be Pence's mother actively telling Trump and Pence to stop being pussies and end it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

If you use the word protagonist, kill yourself

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can only hope you're pro-guilty cuz seriously, as an aspiring lawyer and a believer in human dignity, telling a suicidal to go kill themselves is beyond guilty. If someone you know threatens suicide then please call 911 or whatever your local emergency number is.

Yeah that girl's guilty as hell.

Bringing it up in the Better Call Saul thread because AMC did a good thing and posted a suicide hotline number after the show is stupid.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
People being triggered by a brief flash of a suicide hotline to the point where they're still raging about it a day later is ironically the the best argument you could make for why doing it was a good idea in the first place.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

All tv shows and movies should display the suicide hotline at the bottom of the screen at all times.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that girl's guilty as hell.

Bringing it up in the Better Call Saul thread because AMC did a good thing and posted a suicide hotline number after the show is stupid.

I don't think it was a bad idea, if for no other reason than it'll save us a year or so of contrarians arguing Chuck was just tapping his foot or some nonsense

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

I don't think it was a bad idea, if for no other reason than it'll save us a year or so of contrarians arguing Chuck was just tapping his foot or some nonsense

Jesus, y'all are as bad at reading posts as y'all are at watching TV.

I am annoyed at seeing people bitch about that ruling because the ruling was correct and also a very extreme case that isn't likely to apply to anything else.

I suspect the people bitching about that ruling all over the forums are annoying edgelords who love to tell people to kill themselves. Because it keeps coming up in threads that it shouldn't come up in, like this one. They're projecting.

It was a good idea for AMC to run the hotline number.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm wondering if they are going to skip forward a year or so after all that happened there. A lot was wrapped up, at least for the time being. Michael McKean needs to win an Emmy for that performance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

whalesteak posted:

All tv shows and movies should display the suicide hotline at the bottom of the screen at all times.

S4E1 is going to be a Very Special Episode about suicide prevention, using the fallout from Chuck's suicide as a framing device, that will end with Jimmy directly addressing the camera as Chuck comes out from behind a billboard, smiling, "On TV, sometimes things can get out of control. But in the real world, it's never too late to call"

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Onomarchus posted:

Personally I do assume that Chuck has died. That doesn't mean he is gone. As I said before, he could come back as a ghost or talking animal.

Chuck is almost certainly going to reincarnate as a kitten.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

S4E1 is going to be a Very Special Episode about suicide prevention, using the fallout from Chuck's suicide as a framing device, that will end with Jimmy directly addressing the camera as Chuck comes out from behind a billboard, smiling, "On TV, sometimes things can get out of control. But in the real world, it's never too late to call"

I think it will be "Jimmy doesn't have to deal with that anymore" and "Kim leaves Jimmy because of his callousness".

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

You're hired.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just got to watch the finale off the dvr and man what an episode and season. This is still my favorite show on tv by far. McKean was just heartbreakingly good in this and he'll be missed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The main problem with the show right now is saul needs to become a strip mall lawyer who works with criminals and launders money and stuff but he's also a millionaire + is probably the executor of chucks estate & his beneficiary meaning he's got like... literally over 10 million dollars in actual liquid cash money.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Work Friend Keven posted:

The main problem with the show right now is saul needs to become a strip mall lawyer who works with criminals and launders money and stuff but he's also a millionaire + is probably the executor of chucks estate & his beneficiary meaning he's got like... literally over 10 million dollars in actual liquid cash money.

Nah no way Chuck left his money to Jimmy. Probably gave it to some legal charity.

Also the settlement fell through, so Jimmy is not a millionaire +

Vakal
May 11, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Nah no way Chuck left his money to Jimmy. Probably gave it to some legal charity.

Assuming he even cashed the cheque. It probably burnt up with him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, there's no way Davis & Main are going to drop that case now that Sandpiper has already agreed to what must surely be an eight-figure settlement. I wasn't totally clear on what happened with Irene and Erin in the last episode (it sounded at first like Irene had already received the money, but I guess it wasn't finalized and they're going back on it somehow?) but Jimmy will get his 20% of that sooner or later.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

No, there's no way Davis & Main are going to drop that case now that Sandpiper has already agreed to what must surely be an eight-figure settlement. I wasn't totally clear on what happened with Irene and Erin in the last episode (it sounded at first like Irene had already received the money, but I guess it wasn't finalized and they're going back on it somehow?) but Jimmy will get his 20% of that sooner or later.

Davis and Main wanted to continue negotiations on the case or take it to trial, and Irene will take back her acceptance of the settlement. Jimmy will get his money eventually, but for now he is not rolling in dough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Settlement is still going through. In fact Jimmy is going to get more money because the old ladies are gonna go back to Erin and tell her to keep trying to get more.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Sandpiper will settle sometime and he only cared because he needed to keep the office open.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Don't assume that Chuck is dead.

I think he's dead. But if I've learned anything from watching Supernatural, it's that death is little more than a temporary inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Old folks home can afford 10+ million cash settlement, big law firm can't find 3 million

• Locked thread