Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Weaker in the sense that less jobs can use it? Because I thought Brave Blade was more powerful than Chicken Knife.

You cannot ever run if you want a full-power Brave Blade. Ever. And most people will have run enough times that a full-power Chicken Knife would be an improvement. More than that, the Chicken Knife benefits from both Strength and Agility, which means it can potentially be even more powerful than the Ragnarok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Weaker in the sense that less jobs can use it? Because I thought Brave Blade was more powerful than Chicken Knife.

also you need knight or freelancer to equip brave blade, whereas chicken knife can be used by everything but monk or white mage

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Aerdan posted:

You cannot ever run if you want a full-power Brave Blade. Ever. And most people will have run enough times that a full-power Chicken Knife would be an improvement.
Yes, I know how the Brave Blade works, I even got it on my last run. Anyone doing it for the toxx would be getting the full power Brave Blade.

Aerdan posted:

More than that, the Chicken Knife benefits from both Strength and Agility, which means it can potentially be even more powerful than the Ragnarok.
Can you elaborate more on this? I don't know enough about the mechanics to know when this would apply.

fits posted:

also you need knight or freelancer to equip brave blade, whereas chicken knife can be used by everything but monk or white mage

Weaker in the sense that less jobs can use it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of chicken knife, I saw mention on the doc about being able to use it on a ninja with their off hand? But when I gave my ninja the dancing dagger on either hand, it would still trigger the dancing dagger script and not use the other weapon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rirse posted:

Speaking of chicken knife, I saw mention on the doc about being able to use it on a ninja with their off hand? But when I gave my ninja the dancing dagger on either hand, it would still trigger the dancing dagger script and not use the other weapon.

Use the double lance in your main hand. It hits twice and only your first 2 hits can proc anything. It's also the second best weapon the ninja can use unless you're fighting Shinryu.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dis astranagant posted:

Use the double lance in your main hand. It hits twice and only your first 2 hits can proc anything. It's also the second best weapon the ninja can use unless you're fighting Shinryu.

Oh when do you get that? I am halfway into Exdeath's Castle, so I am about to hit world 3.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Pulled it off by the skin of my teeth! (I have no idea why the screen caps are so tiny)

VBA's screencaps are tiny by default and I don't know if there's any way to change that. I just run mine through the batch image resizer in Irfanview.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Can you elaborate more on this? I don't know enough about the mechanics to know when this would apply.

From the algorithms FAQ, here is the base damage equation for physical attacks:

code:
Damage = (Attack - Defense) * M
Attack is the attack power of the weapon. M, the damage multiplier, is based mostly on a character's Level and their relevant stat (Strength for physical attacks, Magic for magical attacks).

The Brave Blade uses the normal M equation for physical weapons, as shown:
code:
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + 2
The Chicken Knife, on the other hand, uses an uncapped variation of the dagger equation, which takes Agility into consideration:
code:
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + (Level*Agility)/128 + 2
For daggers other than the Chicken Knife, the agility calculation is truncated to a single bit, so it's a 1-point sway back and forth. The Chicken Knife uses the full agility stat, though.

Let's take a Placeholder Knight at Level 40 with 45 Strength and 20 Agility. Calculations helpfully taken from the discord bot.

code:
[10:59 PM] KataraniSword: .mcalc 40 45 physical
[10:59 PM] BOTCarbybot: At level 40 with 45 Strength, your physical M is 16.

[10:59 PM] KataraniSword: .mcalc 40 45 chicken 20
[10:59 PM] BOTCarbybot: At level 40 with 45 Strength and 20 Agility, your Chicken Knife M is 22.
Plugging those numbers, with maxed Chicken Knife and Brave Blade, into the damage equation against an enemy with a nice, standard 15 defense would give us the following:

Brave Blade:
(150 - 15) * 16 = ~2160 per attack

Chicken Knife:
(127 - 15) * 22 = ~2464 per attack

This is usually offset by the fact that Knights have access to Doublehand (which, when equipped and in use, doubles a weapon's M) and the fact the Chicken Knife has a 25% !Flee proc. However, if you can bypass that, a Chicken Knife will outdamage a Brave Blade pretty consistently despite the Brave Blade being numerically superior.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 21, 2017

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Part II

Bought some jewelry to keep me warm...

Thinned the herd...

Ready to try...

:rip: :rip: :black101: :black101:

Next time: Probably steamrolling to W2 Exdeath

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So can I ask what the best strategy for a quadzerker setup against Ifrit and Byblos would be? My Wind job was Chemist so until I get that Earth crystal I'm looking at some tough times. Currently the entire party is level 25.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Are we out of Basch donations? If not, here's one more:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GMArcturus posted:

So can I ask what the best strategy for a quadzerker setup against Ifrit and Byblos would be? My Wind job was Chemist so until I get that Earth crystal I'm looking at some tough times. Currently the entire party is level 25.

Step 1: Grind.
Step 2: Pray.

Ifrit and Byblos suck, but you're gonna need to be in your low to mid 40s to push your way past Sandworm either way, so rev up those axes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rirse posted:

Oh when do you get that? I am halfway into Exdeath's Castle, so I am about to hit world 3.

There's one in meatcastle, the room with the pit puzzle that drops you in the big lava room when you gently caress it up. Otherwise you steal them from statues. Only ninjas and thieves can use them. You can also buy them in phantom village but why wait?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 21, 2017

Bregor
May 31, 2013

GMArcturus posted:

So can I ask what the best strategy for a quadzerker setup against Ifrit and Byblos would be? My Wind job was Chemist so until I get that Earth crystal I'm looking at some tough times.

If you can beat Liquid Flame they should both be pretty easy. Get the Main Gauche and Elven Mantle from the Karnak Castle Fun Run and give everyone else Mythril Hammers. Ifrit is no biggie and you just have to hope Byblos doesn't put Protect up too early and then Drain you to death.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

GMArcturus posted:

level to mid 40s cause youll have to beat up sandworm and soul cannon with quadzerk anyway

then get chemist and promptly steamroll the rest of the game, more or less

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So I'm guessing hitting level 27 and savestating in front of Byblos would be optimal strategy. Savestating in case he does put Protect early and start the "Drain Game". I plan on doing my huge grind to 40 with the Mini Dragons. I can fight them before Sandworm, right?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

GMArcturus posted:

So I'm guessing hitting level 27 and savestating in front of Byblos would be optimal strategy. Savestating in case he does put Protect early and start the "Drain Game". I plan on doing my huge grind to 40 with the Mini Dragons. I can fight them before Sandworm, right?

Absolutely. I think I managed to do Byblos at 26? Obviously luck is a big part of it. Had to go to 43 for the worm though.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

oldskool posted:

Are we out of Basch donations? If not, here's one more:

You're the one who pushed it to the 20th Basch, + the 1 fellow who did the Run and I wanted to include :toot:

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016

Another run down, another full-powered Brave Blade.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dis astranagant posted:

There's one in meatcastle, the room with the pit puzzle that drops you in the big lava room when you gently caress it up. Otherwise you steal them from statues. Only ninjas and thieves can use them. You can also buy them in phantom village but why wait?

Oh goodie, because where I am saved at is right before that room. :toot:

plot.lost
Aug 21, 2007

Rudicron posted:

Very well.
Inspired by Dragondarch's level-matching Goblin Punch shenanigans, one of my own FF5 memories, and the current hypothesis that #regpopular is weighted toward blue mages;

I pledge $5 for each Galuf who hits Exdeath with a level-matched Goblin Punch, to a maximum of $100 (for I am unfortunately not inordinately wealthy).

After all, what better way to protect your granddaughter from a tree demon, than with a magically enhanced punch to the face?

Exdeath Status: Punched.

Edit: Let's try again and see if the host stopped making GBS threads itself.

https://my.mixtape.moe/gfwjnb.webm

plot.lost fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 21, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Run 1 down. Get hosed, Ned.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Whoever had the idea for the mini tactic against the Crystals, I salute you.

It is so dumb, yet I suspect it saved me a LOT of pain trying to get the RNG to align. Or trying to finagle my lone Black Mage around the Berserkers' damage rolls.

Bonus:

:negative:

And my #krile roll replaces one Berserker with...Blue Mage! It's time to go on a little trip 'round the world, learn things I missed...run's about to become a lot smoother. I like it.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Gameplay! :shepicide:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

At least your freelancer can equip anything.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Was thinking about Rugwizard with Quadzerkers. Will he cast Return on a missed physical attack on GBA?

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

fffffffffuuuuuuckkkk

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That took ages, I could only do 100 damage a pop and every two hits I has to swap out for the healing staff to heal a bit.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

I'm kinda dreading the 'worm myself - I've currently got 'zerker and Time Mage unlocked and just took down Byblos.

Samurai was my Fire and Bard's my Earth, so I might have to KO the 'zerks and go Rod crazy since my targeted offense is so terrible with just two Times.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh can you single target rod breaks?

That would have saved me some time.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Oh can you single target rod breaks?

That would have saved me some time.

Nah, I mis-spoke - what I meant to say was controllable, ie that I can use one rod then heal rather than have them triggered out of my control.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Two rods kills the Sandworm, you'll be fine. Who cares if you get hit by 2 gravities, he's dead. Don't even need to kill the Zerkers.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Do rods scale off the user at all?
I broke rods on one attempt and they did 500 damage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Golden Goat posted:

Do rods scale off the user at all?
I broke rods on one attempt and they did 500 damage.
Yeah, they use the user's Magic stat.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You're right, sorry, mixed up my bosses. Haste, Slow, Healing Staff and even Regen help a lot though.

Gah I was even mixing up rod snapping with Water Scrolls. I need caffeine.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
First class: Dragoon. Second class: Bard.

It's a good thing Freelancer is decent early on. I can even break rods at Liquid Flame to save time!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A Thief and 3 Berserkers, done. Basch lives on.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Prism posted:

First class: Dragoon. Second class: Bard.

It's a good thing Freelancer is decent early on. I can even break rods at Liquid Flame to save time!

Pray to God you pull a current job from the Fire Crystal and that you don't have to bring 4 Bards to Adamantoise and Archaeoaevis. Get the Main Gauche.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

derra posted:

Pray to God you pull a current job from the Fire Crystal and that you don't have to bring 4 Bards to Adamantoise and Archaeoaevis. Get the Main Gauche.

I always get the Main Gauche, since so many classes can use it. I also got the mantle and the ribbon just in case, since I had time.

The #fire job ended up being Time Mage so I don't have to worry about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A Butt has cleared his journey with the help of his friends.

• Locked thread