Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm so conflicted... for my theoretical 'evil' Frostgrave Warband I've got a party of cultists and beastmen, and I figure that a suitably evil wizard would be appropriate. But which? They represent completely disparate styles and against my oldhammer proclivities I think it would just be alot more fun to paint the big guy!

or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

I'm so conflicted... for my theoretical 'evil' Frostgrave Warband I've got a party of cultists and beastmen, and I figure that a suitably evil wizard would be appropriate. But which? They represent completely disparate styles and against my oldhammer proclivities I think it would just be alot more fun to paint the big guy!

or

Why not both, use them as [Extradimensional horror = wizard / Nicol Williamson = apprentice]? Or vice versa, for laughs. Is this a summoner warband?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Cut both to pieces, magnetise them and then slowly level your wizard up over the course of the campaign :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I figure it would probably pull double-duty as Illusionist (eyes) and Summoner (bizarro-land). I got some Frostgrave Gnolls and Cultists to mix and match. I decided to use this chap as the apprentice, rather than the D&D styled dude: http://r.ebay.com/jugssK . I guess as the campaign goes on I can start to use more and more tzeentch miniatures. To oppose them, though I already have enough miniatures for both dwarfs and War of the Roses infantry, I decided to fill up on Frostgrave Soldiers and Barbarians, with a GW Empire Battle Wizard pair to act as master and apprentice. I do appreciate it's probably not the most economical use, but realistically at this point I've got to be inspired :)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

I figure it would probably pull double-duty as Illusionist (eyes) and Summoner (bizarro-land). I got some Frostgrave Gnolls and Cultists to mix and match. I decided to use this chap as the apprentice, rather than the D&D styled dude: http://r.ebay.com/jugssK . I guess as the campaign goes on I can start to use more and more tzeentch miniatures. To oppose them, though I already have enough miniatures for both dwarfs and War of the Roses infantry, I decided to fill up on Frostgrave Soldiers and Barbarians, with a GW Empire Battle Wizard pair to act as master and apprentice. I do appreciate it's probably not the most economical use, but realistically at this point I've got to be inspired :)

Aww, I was really hoping you'd go with some combination of EyeDude/Excalibur Merlin. The juxtaposition would've been really funny; depending on who you chose as the wizard, you'd either end up with:

A. slightly nebbishy-looking middle-aged man who's putting all this time and effort (not to mention trust) into apprenticing a Thing that somehow hasn't straight up murdered him yet for his knowledge and sweet hat

B. < Men now call me SHUL'NAZZAR, which is "Master of the Things that Crawl Between the Worlds." My workings have pierced the Ten Veils of Reality, and changed me in...subtle ways. Iä! When I name my allies, you will quake in terror. When I beckon them, you will end. >
"And I'm Ken. Nice to meet you guys! You'll have to excuse Shul, he gets like this when he doesn't get his coffee first thing. So! How are we doing this, winner-take-all or just to first blood?"

(That Tzeentch sorcerer is really nice, though, and surprisingly restrained for GW. I might need to pick one up.)

Oh, and the Empire Battle Wizards kit only comes with enough bodies and arms to build two guys out of a possible 8, but you might be able to find extra bodies/arms on eBay if the stars align properly. I picked some up recently from seller Hoard O Bits, who seem to get them in most consistently.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

What's a good custom waterslide/transfer decal website? I don't want to hand paint the chapter symbol for my snowflake marines.

Fallout Hobbies does customs:
http://www.fallouthobbies.com/

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Foolster41 posted:

That might be. I have a LED swivel head lamp that I can never seem to setup at a good angle to get lighting that's not either washed out bright or too dark.

That might be the problem. A single, point light is terrible for this kind of photography.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Tendinitis sucks, but I'm finally bouncing back enough that I can paint - here's some Assault Terminators for my Templars:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Tendinitis sucks, but I'm finally bouncing back enough that I can paint - here's some Assault Terminators for my Templars:

These, plus that Eldar thing last page = own bones

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I need a fancy backdrop for my pictures. Are you guys just doing colored Render Clouds in Photoshop for those, or is there somewhere to buy them?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There was a kickstarter for a pair of helping hands and patterns printed on mousemats. I can't remember what the thing is called but people get very rowdy about it.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Yeast posted:

Holy poo poo, this is beautiful.

Thanks. I spent hours on the plague marine because the model is so fantastic. While taking photos I noticed it could a contrasting color on the horn and knife so they don't blend in with the armor. I have necron and guard armies, but I had to paint a few chaos marines.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alokgen posted:

I need a fancy backdrop for my pictures. Are you guys just doing colored Render Clouds in Photoshop for those, or is there somewhere to buy them?

Macromat. They're like $25 for a 15" x 30" mat.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

What's a good custom waterslide/transfer decal website? I don't want to hand paint the chapter symbol for my snowflake marines.

You can print your own. It's just paper that you then varnish over, cut out, and apply water to. That's how I did mine:

Make sure you get the clear kind. The only drawback is that you can't print white, so you're stuck with probably black decals.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Zuul the Cat posted:

These are great. Thanks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yup, that's the one I use. I got in on the Kickstarter so it was a little cheaper for 3 mats + the stand but I'm very happy with my purchase.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
How does the blue-white gradient work out?
Yes I spent too long looking at eavy meatal pictures as a kid.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zuul the Cat posted:

If you're patient, you can also get cheaper versions from artscow or any number of Ali baba custom mousepad manufacturers by getting wallpaper-sized gradients.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Chill la Chill posted:

If you're patient, you can also get cheaper versions from artscow or any number of Ali baba custom mousepad manufacturers by getting wallpaper-sized gradients.

You can also print your own out via these handy images. They're set for standard printer paper so you'd have to upscale them yourself if that's too small.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My only problem with the macromat is the drat stand. I need one, but don't want to spend $70 for the whole set. I wish they sold the stand by itself.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Oh, and the Empire Battle Wizards kit only comes with enough bodies and arms to build two guys out of a possible 8, but you might be able to find extra bodies/arms on eBay if the stars align properly. I picked some up recently from seller Hoard O Bits, who seem to get them in most consistently.

I've got a sprue each of cultists, soldiers, barbarians and gnolls from the Frostgrave plastics so I think i'll have enough bits - I'm not wild on the fact they clearly pose very similarly so hopefully that'll help.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

My only problem with the macromat is the drat stand. I need one, but don't want to spend $70 for the whole set. I wish they sold the stand by itself.

You could make one out of PVC pretty easily.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I didn't think of that. Excellent idea!

Finished a Lieutenant. Still need to base them, but i'll do all that later. Sorry for the phone pics!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dmnz posted:

How does the blue-white gradient work out?
Yes I spent too long looking at eavy meatal pictures as a kid.
It works out pretty nicely, unfortunately I haven't taken any pictures with that mat and good lighting but it's one of the reasons I specifically bought one.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, some gator clamps and a few lengths of pipe and you'd be good.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I didn't think of that. Excellent idea!

Finished a Lieutenant. Still need to base them, but i'll do all that later. Sorry for the phone pics!

Did you paint over black!? The dude looks great, that scheme over black just seems :eyepop:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Did you paint over black!? The dude looks great, that scheme over black just seems :eyepop:

Yep! Chaos black undercoat, because I hate myself.

I actually totally get why people airbrush. Painting yellow over black with a brush is a Sisyphean effort. I just cannot get the paint to look smooth no matter how many thin layers I paint.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I found my old metal Red Terror in pieces in my bitz box, with a terrible paintjob I did when I was about 12. So I stripped it, rebuilt it and now done in my current 'Nid scheme:

Not so red, so I guess he's the Blue Horror or the Cyan Abomination or something now. He looks pretty wimpy next to his big sister nowadays:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zuul the Cat posted:

I actually totally get why people airbrush. Painting yellow over black with a brush is a Sisyphean effort. I just cannot get the paint to look smooth no matter how many thin layers I paint.

Use Vallejo Heavy Gold Brown for all your yellow on black base coat needs!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zuul the Cat posted:

You want to put down some sort of medium-dark brown before the yellow/orange. I've painted a lot of orange over purple/black because I keep forgetting to do light colors first.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, i've been doing 2-3 thin coats of Averland Sunset before moving up to the yellow. It does a really good job of going over the black.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

Prime white or prime yellow dude, I batch painted 20 Empire troops in white and red over a black undercoat and I didn't touch another model with that uniform for 2 months afterwards. Once you get to larger models, batch painting, and vehicles, you'll be kicking yourself for that black undercoat. Your mini looks great but don't kill yourself with that process.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Prime white or prime yellow dude, I batch painted 20 Empire troops in white and red over a black undercoat and I didn't touch another model with that uniform for 2 months afterwards. Once you get to larger models, batch painting, and vehicles, you'll be kicking yourself for that black undercoat. Your mini looks great but don't kill yourself with that process.

Oh yeah, I definitely will once the Repulsors and other tanks come out. I'll prime them quartered Averland Sunset and Mephiston Red. No way am I going to do that large of a model with a black undercoat.

So far my problem with the yellow has been the build up from Averland to the Yriel. I'm wondering if I hit them all with a glaze of Lamenters Yellow if it'll blend everything in.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I found my old metal Red Terror in pieces in my bitz box, with a terrible paintjob I did when I was about 12. So I stripped it, rebuilt it and now done in my current 'Nid scheme:

Not so red, so I guess he's the Blue Horror or the Cyan Abomination or something now. He looks pretty wimpy next to his big sister nowadays:

Wowww, forgive me, cause I'm not too familiar with GW, but is that the same model made many years apart??? If so, like many other games, so interesting to see these real life examples of scale creep.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheFinalTuba posted:

Wowww, forgive me, cause I'm not too familiar with GW, but is that the same model made many years apart??? If so, like many other games, so interesting to see these real life examples of scale creep.

It's not the same mini, they just have similar design cues. Looking at them side by side, the Trygon was definitely influenced by the Red Terror model though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo is that actually the new red terror model and not just a former FW/apocalypse model that made its way to the normal game like baneblades? Either way, the apocalypse rules now being the norm is the worst. We used to make fun of that poo poo in the EOW forum.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Chill la Chill posted:

Holy poo poo is that actually the new red terror model and not just a former FW/apocalypse model that made its way to the normal game like baneblades? Either way, the apocalypse rules now being the norm is the worst. We used to make fun of that poo poo in the EOW forum.

That's just a Trygon, it's been a monstrous creature with a plastic kit since... 2009? 2010 maybe?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Should have painted it like this!

I actually really like that paint scheme for Nids. Yours look good.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Does anybody have a good recipe for painting Fists in this kind of golden-brown orange with an orange:

(image found on Pinterest)

I'm primerally using Reaper colours, but wouldn't mind getting something else for this.

Do I just go dark brown>ligth brown>orange>touch of yellow over a light grey primer?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You want a red brown base like P3 Bloodstone. If you airbrush you can do simliar to what you suggested. At the end though you may need to filter with a red-orange to saturate the color a bit.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thanks. I'm going for a pretty saturated look so that's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone here ordered from miniature market before and had a bad shipment? My friend got our package in and there was no packing materials, it had a huge dent on the box (thankfully not a board game and just a minis box), and the paints were rolling around freely. I chalk it up to luck that none of them leaked or exploded in there. Is this normal or are they usually better about it? I'm willing to give them another chance if they typically have better packing policies but my friend said he's out.