Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No. I do not mean 538.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Taco Duck posted:

The Democrats probably won't take control of any branch of the Federal government until the baby boomers are gone in like 15 years.

The Democrats will no longer be a thing in 15 years. At least, not enough of a thing to take a branch of the federal government.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/877250464206778370

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Deified Data posted:

gently caress I hope not. Imagine the narrative of Pence taking office and "restoring sanity". I like our fat dumb president just where he is until someone who's not a republican takes his place.
Trump is unhappy in office and incapable of making the situation better for himself so I have no problem with this.

Quorum posted:

I'm an archaeologist, I work at a site where we have hard documentation of people eating fourteen year old servant girls to stay alive. It can ALWAYS be worse.
I don't care that much about cannibalism but if you have 17th-century buttons or other clothing-related items I would like very much to learn about them. Can offer information about New Netherland stuff in exchange.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Why doesn't that senile old gently caress do something about it then?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

With the reports of polls being hosed around with to disenfranchise Democrat voters, at what point does the UN step in and say, "we want to send monitors to oversee your elections?"

This is some fuckin' third world poo poo, guys.

The UN doesn't do electoral monitoring anymore, they just do electoral assistance now. Also, lots of people monitor our elections; OSCE and OAS usually have monitors within the US during our elections.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That was Tim Kaine. Six years later he was the vice-presidential nominee.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The Republican Party has been "dying off" for the last 15 years. They're not going anywhere anytime soon and to think that there will be a time where their base is completely gone is kind of silly. Slate has written 2 "Republican Party is dying off" stories in like 5 years.

Yeah I don't think I ever said their base will ever be completely gone.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

He can't because we stopped investigating Hillary therefore all investigations must stop, remember?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

PT6A posted:

I'll have you know he's very concerned

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
McCaine still thinks its 2015 does that look like the face of a man who knows anything happening around him

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Zil posted:

Could be worse, like the message from 2010 of "don't give them back the keys to government." Think Jon Stewart laughed in Obamas face when he said that on the daily show.

:whitewater:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ramos posted:

Also the polls were hosed with, guys.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/polling-location-changes-for-6th-district-vote/536035137

Feel free to check the locations, they're in heavily black areas.

DrNutt posted:

This is why I don't care when Republicans are shot. How do you "vote them out" when they have control of the entire system and rig it in their favor with poo poo like this? And you can't even blame lack of Dem turnout this time. These goblins will continue suppressing the poo poo out of everyone they can because it's the only way they can stay in power, and it continues to loving work.

ramos has no idea what they're talking about. the entire district is predominantly white, there are no heavily black areas in the entire 6th district. there are some areas with a substantial number of black residents but this list of changes does not correspond to any particular racial demographic pattern. verify for yourself here

http://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

anything in alpharetta is questionable, but johns creek and milton addresses are lily white, the roswell addresses are white, as were the sole sandy springs and dunwoody address

it's also not suprising that a bunch of polling locations mostly at public schools were closed for renovation over summer break

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 21, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly expect McCaine any day now to introduce a resolution to declare war on Vietnam

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

it's just a joke, lol haha the russian are basically controlling our elections and deciding who our representatives are, lmao haha :shrug: *votes for whatever they poo poo onto his desk anyway, without even reading it*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Taco Duck posted:

Yeah I don't think I ever said their base will ever be completely gone.

They won't ever fall into demographic irrelevance. They're on the wrong side of history when it comes to a number of social issues, but they're going to adapt. The change into a majority minority electorate is decades away. Republicans will figure out how to deal with it along the way, just as political parties have managed to deal with demographic shifts literally throughout all of history. This idea that we're just waiting for the olds to die and then everything will be fine is older than anyone in this thread. It's not going to happen.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

With the reports of polls being hosed around with to disenfranchise Democrat voters, at what point does the UN step in and say, "we want to send monitors to oversee your elections?"

This is some fuckin' third world poo poo, guys.

there's no reason to resort to conspiracy theories to explain why a democrat lost a heavily republican district. this thread is full of idiots

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dirk Pitt posted:

If the democrats were going to take over the House in 2018 I'd expect to see a DNC backed grass roots effort happening by now, similar to the Tea Party in 2009. Instead we get more identity politics and "at least we're not republicans" messaging. The same hubris that cost Clinton.

"LYNCH OBAMA!" was the sum total of the Tea Party platform and objectives. How exactly is hatred of Trump, a tangibly more prevalent and widespread feeling, not just the Democrats Tea Party without lovely dressups?

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

They won't ever fall into demographic irrelevance. They're on the wrong side of history when it comes to a number of social issues, but they're going to adapt. The change into a majority minority electorate is decades away. Republicans will figure out how to deal with it along the way, just as political parties have managed to deal with demographic shifts literally throughout all of history. This idea that we're just waiting for the olds to die and then everything will be fine is older than anyone in this thread. It's not going to happen.

I didn't say they would fall into demographic irrelevance either. Given how close our elections are, even just a substantial dip of the percentage of white voters aged 60 and over would spell disaster for the GOP almost everywhere outside of the reddest of states. The only way for them to adapt would be to become progressive themselves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i did and he said "at least im not on the losing side"

so yeah thats what america has these days

Don't worry. He's homeless in Trump's America. He won't be around much longer.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Taco Duck posted:

I didn't say they would fall into demographic irrelevance either. Given how close our elections are, even just a substantial dip of the percentage of white voters aged 60 and over would spell disaster for the GOP almost everywhere outside of the reddest of states. The only way for them to adapt would be to become progressive themselves.

I've only recently begun to realize how insane statements like these are. This place, and probably everywhere else you get your information, is a bubble. Progressives are not a significant political force in America.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Taco Duck posted:

Yes that's the Dem strategy, keep sucking up to the corporations that are loving over Americans, because once the olds who listen to current Republican propaganda die Democrats will get all the votes and so there is no need to stop enabling the depredations of the richest 1%

Dems never figure out that every generation of Republicans just found a new enemy to blame for the depredations of the top 1%

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 21, 2017

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Fulchrum posted:

"LYNCH OBAMA!" was the sum total of the Tea Party platform and objectives. How exactly is hatred of Trump, a tangibly more prevalent and widespread feeling, not just the Democrats Tea Party without lovely dressups?

I seem to remember a lot of the Tea Party being about democrats and the federal government taking from you and wasting your money. Sure there were dress ups and some racist poo poo, but the message never moved wavered from Taxed Enough Already. To think the Koch Brothers literally thought Obama should be lynched is foolish.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 21, 2017

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Because Republicans will crawl over broken glass to pull the lever for every candidate with an (R) next to their name (though they'll piss and moan about it on Freep, et al a lot) and only become more willing to do so whenever they lose, while Democrats go home if it's cloudy and curl up into a ball of suicidal despair at every loss.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Petr posted:

I've only recently begun to realize how insane statements like these are. This place, and probably everywhere else you get your information, is a bubble. Progressives are not a significant political force in America.

As is liberalism. We have the government Americ wants. People just need to realize that racist conservatism is the real America. Then, you will learn just how lovely this nation truly is and how it is truly beyond saving.

gently caress America.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Petr posted:

"Progressives" aren't, but people who would like Medicare for All? That's a much bigger group. The Dems should try running on economically populist stuff sometime. Who knows, they might win.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

that actually sounds like a pretty cool hobo to share a few beers with and chat to about politics if you're not really loving angry about politics to the point that hobos make fun of you

seriously, d&d is getting owned by hobos now

That's a good solid plan but it's not the plan this thread deserves.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Majorian posted:

"Progressives" aren't, but people who would like Medicare for All? That's a much bigger group. The Dems should try running on economically populist stuff sometime. Who knows, they might win.

OK sure hey you should like mail them a letter or something and let them know

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Covok posted:

As is liberalism. We have the government Americ wants. People just need to realize that racist conservatism is the real America. Then, you will learn just how lovely this nation truly is and how it is truly beyond saving.

Imagine sending this post back in time to 2009

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Petr posted:

OK sure hey you should like mail them a letter or something and let them know

Nah, I'm gonna start going to local meetings, but in the meantime, I'm happy to argue with people online who are part of the problem.;)

Covok posted:

gently caress America.

This is not a fun gimmick. 0/10

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Taco Duck posted:

They don't need to become progressives, they literally just need to stop being racist caricatures that force everyone who isn't a white male to vote as a single demographic bloc out of sheer self preservation. Remember that Muslim voters were, as a demographic, reliable Republican voters before the GOP decided to go off the deep end post-9/11. The Republican Party can walk back from their insane rhetoric without changing a thing about their actual policies or losing any of their base, and sooner or later they're going to realize that.

You're acting as if they need to pull in huge numbers of non-white voters, but they don't. They need to pull in very small numbers to make up for their shrinking base. This isn't even close to being an insurmountable problem.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

I'm gonna start going to meetings, but I'm happy to argue with people online who are part of the problem

new thread title plz

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

boner confessor posted:

there's no reason to resort to conspiracy theories to explain why a democrat lost a heavily republican district. this thread is full of idiots

LMAO partisan polling place fuckery is "a conspiracy theory." Like, Ossof may not have won either way, but there were enough stories coming out of 2016 that most people should acknowledge that the way we do elections is hosed in this country. Not to mention garbage like the voter roll purges in Republican states and even "legitimate" stuff like permanently revoking the right to vote for felons. This stuff all has a cumulative effect, and it's all aimed at making sure only "the right people" get to vote.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gen. Ripper posted:

Because Republicans will crawl over broken glass to pull the lever for every candidate with an (R) next to their name (though they'll piss and moan about it on Freep, et al a lot) and only become more willing to do so whenever they lose, while Democrats go home if it's cloudy and curl up into a ball of suicidal despair at every loss.

Right. So the problem we need to fix is the fuckwits who engage in endless purity tests and keep saying poo poo like Dem's are corporate stooges who will never raise taxes.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

How many of those people still like it when you talk about paying for it?

Dirk Pitt posted:

I seem to remember a lot of the Tea Party being about democrats and the federal government taking from you and wasting your money. Sure there were dress ups and some racist poo poo, but the message never moved wavered from Taxed Enough Already. To think the Koch Brothers literally thought Obama should be lynched is foolish.

When have the Dem's not talked about how Americans deserve better Healthcare, and Republicans are loving them over and letting people die?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 21, 2017

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Majorian posted:

Nah, I'm gonna start going to local meetings, but in the meantime, I'm happy to argue with people online who are part of the problem.;)

This is not a fun gimmick. 0/10

I'm a member of my local Indivisible chapter. I vote straight-D in every election, including local and midterms. I volunteer and phone bank. I'm active with local PFLAG groups.

Just because I'm realistic about how meaningless and inconsequential that all is doesn't mean I'm evil.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

boner confessor posted:

new thread title plz

Like seriously, I don't know what thread Petr thinks he's in!

Covok
May 27, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Imagine sending this post back in time to 2009

2008 was an aberration because middle class whites didn't want to be seen as racist and Obama was very charismatic. That is no longer the case.

This is Trump's America. There is little hope to ever have in its people.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Imagine thinking a swing of nearly 20 points in their favor heralds the end of the Dems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Conservatives have actually one message " They are taking from you and that is why you are not better off". It's a pretty simple message and it permeates all messages. Democrats have like 567.

And I am an optimist-humanist in that I believe a Hegelian synthesis of all those mutual visions will coalesce. As a patriot, I hope it is in time for our civilization.

• Locked thread