Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

There was a 4chan post with supposed leaks, about Supergirl and Brainiac in MoS2 and Circe/Cheetah in Wonder Woman 2.

A guy from TheWrap said it's all bullshit.

Yea that was what I was referring to.

I loved that they kept his mustache, I am so sick of goatees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Literally the only thing I would change about Wonder Woman would be have the Purple Ray and some kangas in the first act. I would like to see the Amazon championship happen but I don't think there was room in the movie, so that was the right call. Plus given Diana's true purpose it would not have made any dang sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: never mind, enough of this pithy bullshit from me

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kevin Feige just did his bi-annual interview.

Some highlights.

- Marvel has no clause in any of their contracts for actors or directors that says that they can't work on other superhero movies.

- Marvel recommended Josh Brolin for the role of Cable in Deadpool 2.

- Whedon apparently told Feige that he was going to be redoing the Justice League script and directing Batgirl about 6 months ago.

- Spider-Man will be in Avengers 4, the Homecoming sequel will come out in 2019 after Avengers 4.

- No current plans for Spider-Man in the MCU after the Homecoming sequel, but they are having discussions with Sony and optimistic about further partnerships.

- They have about an hour and a half of completed dailies for Black Panther and a full trailer coming out soon

(I don't know what makes a full trailer different from a teaser anymore; the teaser was over 2 minutes long)

- Some concept art and test footage for Ant-Man and the Wasp was shown:

quote:

The art adorning the wall showed more of Paul Rudd's hero character taking on the Giant Man role he debuted in Captain America: Civil War. Beyond that, there were images of him using everyday objects made giant (such as a human-sized Ant-Man holding an oversized plastic soda bottle to spray bad guys with.)

Another image showed an adorable giant dog with a car full of people in its jaws, while there were also looks at new suits for Ant-Man (Rudd) and Wasp (Evangeline Lilly).

He noted in the first Ant-Man, the team intentionally made the costume look old-school, with the idea that the suit was outdated Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) technology.

- Working footage of Thanos and apparently creepily realistic face-CGI work with Josh Brolin:

quote:

There was also a look at Thanos' Avenger: Infinity War costume (courtesy of Ryan Meinerding, head of visual development). The villain, played by Josh Brolin, looks even more menacing — with a sleeveless look to show off those purple muscles. The studio also debuted a new facial mapping CGI-tech used to "digitally paint" Brolin's face.

- Some new footage from Thor: Ragnarok about The Grandmaster's reality-bending powers keeping Thor trapped:

quote:

He then treated journalists to a scene in which Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is put into a prisoner area with fellow gladiators Korg, a large, rock-like character, and Miek, an insect-like alien. Thor informs the pair he's there to fight the Grandmaster's (Jeff Goldblum) champion.

They are all in a hallway, but its physical properties are confusing. Thor runs down the circular hallway and almost immediately ends up back where he started. It's some sort of loop that doesn't abide the laws of physics.

- Feige says no R-rated Marvel movies planned. He thinks that an R-rating for the sake of an R-Rating wasn't what made Deadpool or Logan successful:

quote:

"My takeaway from both of those films is not the R rating; it's the risk they took, the chances they took, the creative boundaries that they pushed," explained Feige. "That should be the takeaway for everyone."

While the R rating is an easily identifiable trait of those movies, Feige cited the breaking of the fourth wall in Deadpool and the finality of the Wolverine story as examples of what made those movies stand out.

- Feige says they needed to add Chinese only scenes for some of their earlier movies, but that MCU movies have gotten so popular in China that they haven't had to tailor their later movies to Chinese audiences because the Chinese government wouldn't risk banning them.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Feige recognizing it isnt only that Logan and Deadpool were rated R that made them successful gives me so much hope for his insights

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Feige seems like while he doesn't necessarily know how to make a good movie, he knows how to avoid making a bad one. Pretty much explains both Marvel's success and the frequent charges that all their films are bland and identical.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Feige seems like while he doesn't necessarily know how to make a good movie, he knows how to avoid making a bad one.
To be clear, he's also made plenty of bad ones in the past. :sweatdrop: He was co-producer on Elektra and executive producer on Spider-Man 3, X3, and Fantastic Four 2.

Experience does count for something, to be sure.

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not the act of stopping or destroying Ares that gets me, it's how the story is structured and the way the narrative is framed when they get to it.
I...sure, but you were also saying it's bad that Steve steals all the spotlight from Diana or something 'cuz he's fighting the true fight of the finale.

It's...a true fight, but it's not really the actual true fight. The true fight of the film, as cheesy as this is going to sound, is a fight for Diana's soul, and it began from the moment she left Paradise and is slowly exposed, bit by bit, to the truths of the world.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hadn't thought about that way. You've given me some stuff to think about, though I'm still not sure I agree.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I really liked the first two acts of Wonder Woman.

But the thing that pisses me off the most about the third act isn't the fight with Ares. That's just boring and kind of thematically incoherent.

No, for me it's the way the third act retroactively ruins the best scene in the movie. No Man's Land is an awesome scene. Yes, Diana gets to be a superhero in WW2 and actually save people. This is what superheroics is supposed to be about, doing good and saving the people who are in front of you, crying out for help. The movie gets you hyped up about this when it's happening.

And then in the next scene, the entire town is gassed. She didn't save anyone. In fact, she probably condemned them to die, since if she hadn't gotten distracted from her mission she might have been able to stop the general before he shot the cannon, and even if not he would have at least targeted a different village - one that wasn't German-held.

"Oh, you like superheroics?" says the movie. "Haha, you fool. Superheroics just makes things worse! This is war, and you're dumb for wanting superheroics in a war movie!"

gently caress you, movie.

(And then I learn that the execs didn't even want No Man's Land in the movie in the first place and :psyduck: )

That aside, it's easily the best DCCU offering I've seen to date. Which is, I'll admit, faint praise... But then I'm one of those weirdos who didn't hate Man of Steel (at least, not completely.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Really, the third act's biggest problem is that it turns the movie into, well

A DCEU movie

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Like I said, I loved 2/3rds of it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Falstaff posted:

Regarding the best moment in Wonder Woman
(And then I learn that the execs didn't even want No Man's Land in the movie in the first place and :psyduck: )

I had been avoiding this thread until after I saw WW, so I saw this come up, but not where it came from. What is the source on this? I mean, I've seen it a few times and not just here, so I think it might be valid, but it seems like such an obvious misstep that I almost can't believe it. Though, seeing what we have gotten from DCCU, I have to wonder, do they have test audiences, and if so, do they either not listen to them or is the audience completely over the bend?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I had been avoiding this thread until after I saw WW, so I saw this come up, but not where it came from. What is the source on this? I mean, I've seen it a few times and not just here, so I think it might be valid, but it seems like such an obvious misstep that I almost can't believe it. Though, seeing what we have gotten from DCCU, I have to wonder, do they have test audiences, and if so, do they either not listen to them or is the audience completely over the bend?

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-on-how-the-films-most-memorable-scene-almost-didnt-happen-752330

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DC accidentally made a good movie!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HBO is in discussions with Damon Lindelof about doing a Watchmen TV show. While I do think it would make for a better series/miniseries than a film, Lindelof is not who you want on that

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-tv-series-damon-lindelof-works-at-hbo-1014987

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

HBO is in discussions with Damon Lindelof about doing a Watchmen TV show. While I do think it would make for a better series/miniseries than a film, Lindelof is not who you want on that

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-tv-series-damon-lindelof-works-at-hbo-1014987

Why wouldn't you if you were HBO and he just wrapped up the most universally acclaimed series they've head in years?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

Why wouldn't you if you were HBO and he just wrapped up the most universally acclaimed series they've head in years?

Are you talking about the Leftovers? I've seen that its really good, but I have zero idea what its about. What I thought it was about was actually the plot of the 100.

According to the Know, Sony says that Venom and Black Cat movies are taking place in the Homecomming Spider-Man universe, but not the MCU. What the hell?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen the show past a second season episode where they tackle grief and the anger associated with it in such a deep and powerful way that I just didn't have the wherewithal to keep going. It's about the heaviest show I've ever seen. Carrie Coon is amazing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That just means they might crossover with other Psiderman movies but not other MCU movies, and won't have cameo from MCU.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

twistedmentat posted:

According to the Know, Sony says that Venom and Black Cat movies are taking place in the Homecomming Spider-Man universe, but not the MCU. What the hell?

Imagine 4 Spider-Men on the edge of a cliff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ojjeorago posted:

Imagine 4 Gwen Stacys on the edge of a cliff.

ftfy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That just means they might crossover with other Psiderman movies but not other MCU movies, and won't have cameo from MCU.

Yeah, I assume it's something like Spider-Man will be in them, but he won't talk about that time he fought Captain America. And when he's with the Avengers he and Star Lord aren't going to have a discussion about alien symbiotes.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Perfectly fine with this provided they bring Jeffrey Dean Morgan back as The Comedian.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bleeding Cool is reporting, so it's probably fake, but

quote:

Here’s the real kicker though. The rumored reboot would not focus on the original Fantastic Four team. So, if you were looking for yet another film revolving around Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Woman, The Thing and The Human Torch, you’re out of luck here. The new film would be centered on the Richards children, Franklin and Valeria. Additionally, The Human Torch and The Thing would appear along with Reed and Sue Richards.

"Gentlemen, we must make a FF movie that fails even harder than any one before"

I mean, that sounds like a badass pitch to me, a guy who knows a ton about comic book characters, but to the average person :yikes:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

zoux posted:

I mean, that sounds like a badass pitch to me, a guy who knows a ton about comic book characters, but to the average person :yikes:

Executive 2: I've got it! We have to make a Fantastic Four movie. But we never specified which Fantastic Four!

Coming in 2021

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/New_Fantastic_Four_(Earth-616)?file=Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_348_Textless.jpg

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

zoux posted:

Also speaking of Bleedingcool, I ended up reading their article on the rumored FF film. Then clicked a link to a previous article about Guardians of the Galaxy 2. And for the picture of Director James Gunn, they had used a picture of fashion mogul Tim Gunn instead.

Some top notch journalism there.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Alas, it would seem you don't have Drax' reflexes to catch the gag as it flies over your head.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

That pitch is genuinely the only way a FF movie will be good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Question IRL posted:

Also speaking of Bleedingcool, I ended up reading their article on the rumored FF film. Then clicked a link to a previous article about Guardians of the Galaxy 2. And for the picture of Director James Gunn, they had used a picture of fashion mogul Tim Gunn instead.

Some top notch journalism there.

They also use wrestler Billy Gunn.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I hope Franklin's herald is in it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've announced that Iron Man won't be in Homecoming 2 but Sony has worked out a deal for a to be determined MCU character to show up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spidey: Dethlok!? What are you doing here?
Dethlok: What I do best.

Five minutes pass

Dethlok: Nothing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Knowing Sony, it'll be Iron Fist.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Spidey: Dethlok!? What are you doing here?
Dethlok: What I do best.

Five minutes pass

Dethlok: Nothing

I'd just be happy to see J. August Richards make it to the big time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carnage is the bad guy in Venom. Or the badder guy I guess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

"Here’s the real kicker though. The rumored reboot would not focus on the original Fantastic Four team. So, if you were looking for yet another film revolving around Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Woman, The Thing and The Human Torch, you’re out of luck here. The new film would be centered on the Richards children, Franklin and Valeria. Additionally, The Human Torch and The Thing would appear along with Reed and Sue Richards."

"Why does the Fantastic Four have six people?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Carnage is the bad guy in Venom. Or the badder guy I guess.

The villain in a superhero movie, their thematic opposite with a similar power set? Well, I never!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

The villain in a superhero movie, their thematic opposite with a similar power set? Well, I never!

For Venom though, isn't this just Spider-Man?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Lobok posted:

"Why does the Fantastic Four have six people?"

Original Evans/Chiklis FF had the base four people. The sequel added the Silver Surfer - five people. Let's all forget about the Trank version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

For Venom though, isn't this just Spider-Man?

Nah. Venom is to Carnage as Spider-Man is to Venom. Presumably if Carnage ever became a hero for longer than a hilarious hilarious mini he'd get like Deadblood the Double Symbiote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

zoux posted:

...I think audiences are smart enough to figure out that the kids aren't, y'know, extra members of the team and that the team is still four people in essence.

Having Reed and Sue already be married and with kids sounds like a great idea. What's the problem here?

• Locked thread