Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Baronjutter posted:

Vancouver BC is a cultureless wasteland full of the worst conspicuous consumption. Yes there's pretty mountains but the whole city is a rapidly inflating pimple of real-estate speculation and its residents are the pus filling. The whole place needs a good popping.

It's really nice, so people wanna live there, and the more people that do, the prices skyrocket.

Move somewhere less nice/less demanded and it's cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Das Boo posted:

I visit a friend every year who lives a few streets off Pike, so around that area. She's laughed at me for the bizarre incidents that happen when I visit. Maybe I'm just one of those people? I'm staring at the sidewalk and over heads, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(

Well that's your problem. You gotta make unblinking eye contact so they know you're the alpha

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Canada fuckin owns. If it wasn't so drat cold most of the time I'd move there in a second.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I clearly said allies. Allies are just garbage streets. Of course alleys can be whatever.

Yeah gently caress those allies and their bombs.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Homelessness doesn't not exist in Australia, but the way everyone talks about it from other countries we're like the promised land or something

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

One of my greatest fears is that I go to Des Moines and discover that Jastiger is actually pretty cool in person and we end up getting along pretty well.

All are welcome, even that riff raff dude. He would be redeemed by having a good craft beer. Banned for a bud light.

Das Boo is welcome too of course. High clas citizenry in des moines.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jastiger posted:

All are welcome, even that riff raff dude. He would be redeemed by having a good craft beer. Banned for a bud light.

Das Boo is welcome too of course. High clas citizenry in des moines.

Honestly, the fact that Des Moines never shows up in the news is probably a sterling endorsement. Hm...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

starkebn posted:

Homelessness doesn't not exist in Australia, but the way everyone talks about it from other countries we're like the promised land or something

Pffft, you guys have those weird backwards seasons. No thanks. I'd rather be homeless on the good side of the equator. At least that way I can freeze to death on Christmas. Like god intended.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

My unpopular opinion is that Jastiger is fine and has mostly correct views on "the south" but exaggerates his hatred and violent solutions because it seems to really effectively troll people who seem to get legitimately upset.

Having lived extensively in the south, north, west, and Ontario, no, basically every problem with the south is a problem with North America except the south has more poor people, rural people, and minorities, aka people that Righteously Logical Liberals hate.

Field Mousepad posted:

Canada fuckin owns. If it wasn't so drat cold most of the time I'd move there in a second.

Tried that, it's harder than it sounds. Good luck immigrating to Canada unless you have family or make six figures.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Jun 21, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
So Canada has a Trump wall?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

So Canada has a Trump wall?

Canada has a reasonable but strict immigration authority.

I once had the pleasure of having my car searched and my canadian girlfriend interrogated while I sat in a border office lobby, while nearby an older indian couple pleaded with a border agent via their son who was translating, only to see them turned away. Also they confisticated everyone's phones and clicked through all parties' texts and voicemails.

That poo poo happens in the US too, I bet, point being immigrating to Canada loving blows. At the time I was just driving up to visit her but you'd have thought we were international drug runners or something.

The cheapest way to be a canadian if you have no connections is probably to get a student visa, graduate, and then get a job offer upon graduation. Again good luck

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canada is a trash country who's entire sole defining characteristic and source of national pride is being very slightly less terrible, on average, than most of the US but still managing to be much worse in a few key areas.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I used to live in Michigan and my friends and I would go to Canada all the time and the most intense thing that ever happened was a quick look through my car by border patrol. We're all white though.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

One time a homeless dude wanted me to take money out of an atm, but I was broke and I told him, and he said it didn't matter, he could use my card to access his account and I told him that's not how it works and he said yes it is! I can get money offa any card from anywhere! And then he stormed off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Field Mousepad posted:

I used to live in Michigan and my friends and I would go to Canada all the time and the most intense thing that ever happened was a quick look through my car by border patrol. We're all white though.

If you're obviously a tourist of some sort then it's pretty easy to blow through the border either way. If anything you say even vaguely hints that you might want to stay in Canada, however...

Another fun time is when we flew back to Canada from France. Nonstop Paris-Montréal. My visa was still well within the allotted dates and entirely legitimate but nevertheless the lovely border guards detained me in the criminal box and demanded why I didn't fly back to the US if I'm a US citizen, never mind my entirely legal and documented canadian address, for a good hour, meanwhile my canadian gf gets to stand awkwardly near security and get ignored until someone comes round to snatch her phone. If you're not guilty you have nothing to hide!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was the impression I got from visiting Toronto and talking with Canadian friends--they're accommodating if you're a guest, but under that it's rough. If you're not rich as hell then don't bother trying to enter a city from out of the country.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like playing video games with people who whine about losing. Most games have an MMR system where you win half the games you play, that's just how it is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I will pay more money to never have to deal with the USA and it's insane border poo poo, I get enough from my own country.

The best was getting a connecting flight home through seattle from europe before coming home. For what ever reason they pulled me aside before I got on the plane to the US and asked me a million questions, when I arrived in seattle they took me to the special criminal booth and a dude put on the latex gloves and I got worried it was for my butt but instead it was just for my carry on. He tries to make smalltalk about american football but I have no idea and say I don't watch any sports. He unzips my backpack, keeps asking me if there's anything I need to tell him because he's going to go through absolutely anything, and if I need to tell him anything I should tell him now. I have no idea what's going on, so he sighs and pulls out the first item.

It's a carefully wrapped 2nd hand N scale model train building I got for cheap in Prague. He has no idea what he's looking at, I tell him it's model train stuff. He's really not impressed for some reason. He digs in for the next item, it's another 2nd hand model train building. I tell him my carry-on bag is pretty much 100% model train poo poo. Item after item comes out and it's all model train poo poo, he gives up half way and just gruffly tells me "we're done" and pretty much pushed me out of the room.

Then some customs agents run over to me quite excited. Both are hispanic and I have no idea what is going on but I feel like I'm in trouble and can't quite tell what they're saying due to their accents. They demand to see my passport, keep intently looking at the picture, looking at me, looking at the picture. They yell quite loudly for a 3rd guy to come over, another hispanic fellow. The two start asking "look at this guy!! Who is it???" the 3rd looks at me, looks at my passport. They ask again "No, not the name on the passport, look at this guy, imagine he's got a tan man! What's his name!" and the 3rd guy suddenly gets excited too. "Oh poo poo man!! Diego Luna!!" and they all start laughing, they ask me if I know who Diego Luna is. I have no idea, they tell me to look him up because I look EXACTLY like him. They all agree and call over a 4th, a lady, once again hispanic, she squints, tells me to turn my head, and then nods in agreement with them.

My unpopular opinion at this airport is that I don't look anything like Diego Luna, he is a million times more handsome than me but a bunch of US airport customs workers swore I was his twin.

Baronjutter has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Jun 21, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

I will pay more money to never have to deal with the USA and it's insane border poo poo, I get enough from my own country.

The best was getting a connecting flight home through seattle from europe before coming home. For what ever reason they pulled me aside before I got on the plane to the US and asked me a million questions, when I arrived in seattle they took me to the special criminal booth and a dude put on the latex gloves and I got worried it was for my butt but instead it was just for my carry on. He tries to make smalltalk about american football but I have no idea and say I don't watch any sports. He unzips my backpack, keeps asking me if there's anything I need to tell him because he's going to go through absolutely anything, and if I need to tell him anything I should tell him now. I have no idea what's going on, so he sighs and pulls out the first item.

It's a carefully wrapped 2nd hand N scale model train building I got for cheap in Prague. He has no idea what he's looking at, I tell him it's model train stuff. He's really not impressed for some reason. He digs in for the next item, it's another 2nd hand model train building. I tell him my carry-on bag is pretty much 100% model train poo poo. Item after item comes out and it's all model train poo poo, he gives up half way and just gruffly tells me "we're done" and pretty much pushed me out of the room.

Then some customs agents run over to me quite excited. Both are hispanic and I have no idea what is going on but I feel like I'm in trouble and can't quite tell what they're saying due to their accents. They demand to see my passport, keep intently looking at the picture, looking at me, looking at the picture. They yell quite loudly for a 3rd guy to come over, another hispanic fellow. The two start asking "look at this guy!! Who is it???" the 3rd looks at me, looks at my passport. They ask again "No, not the name on the passport, look at this guy, imagine he's got a tan man! What's his name!" and the 3rd guy suddenly gets excited too. "Oh poo poo man!! Diego Luna!!" and they all start laughing, they ask me if I know who Diego Luna is. I have no idea, they tell me to look him up because I look EXACTLY like him. They all agree and call over a 4th, a lady, once again hispanic, she squints, tells me to turn my head, and then nods in agreement with them.

My unpopular opinion at this airport is that I don't look anything like Diego Luna, he is a million times more handsome than me but a bunch of US airport customs workers swore I was his twin.

If you judge anyone based on whether or not they, from sight, "are hispanic", then I'm glad this glorious continent searched your nazi rear end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It depends on mestizo features, which distinctly mark someone as South American, although there are loads of white Latinos and black Latinos etc. you wouldn't necessarily tell on sight.

My unpopular opinion as a Latino is that I really loving hate it when the word "Hispanic" is used interchangeably with "Latino." Lots of Latinos say it themselves, I did after my father used it until I learned some history, which irks me more.

There are two reasons why I give a gently caress:

1. Hispanic means "from or derived from Spain." After half a millennium of colonization and intermarriage that definition really doesn't apply to most Latinos (which means "of Latin America") Plus "Hispanic" ignores that a lot of other immigrants have colonized and had progeny in Latin America. We don't denote Brazillians as Portuguese, why would people with mestizo, British, and German ancestry in Argentina call themselves "Hispanic?"

2. Which brings me to my next point which has to do with the :smug: response half of you reading this far have come up with-- "but it's technically accurate don't be such a pedantic autist."

Well here is why I give a gently caress -- treating Hispanic as the default, especially in regions where the definition really doesn't apply anymore, reinforces retrograde impressions that Spain and by extension white heritage is what everyone agrees is the highest value of their society, which is a problem when you consider how awful colonialism could be.

"but no one thinks about that when they say it these words don't affect them." Maybe not consciously , but words have power and "Hispanic" robs a certain level of identity from Latin Americans when "Latino" is a perfectly good phrase.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

how about "south american"?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you judge anyone based on whether or not they, from sight, "are hispanic", then I'm glad this glorious continent searched your nazi rear end.

I figured it was relevant to that fact they they thought I looked like a Mexican celebrity, they spoke some Spanish to each other and had accents but I thought the worst thing is when people just call or assume anyone from south of texas as "mexican".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

starkebn posted:

how about "south american"?
Because Central America and Mexico are things that exist.

And I'm referring to ethnicity, not citizenship.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's no such ethnicity as "hispanic".

e: Oh.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Because Central America and Mexico are things that exist.

And I'm referring to ethnicity, not citizenship.

latin america = south and central america right? latino is "from south or central america"?

It's kind of the same thing as what I said except I was too short in my reply and left off a few words.

Hispanic going away sounds fair enough to me

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you're obviously a tourist of some sort then it's pretty easy to blow through the border either way. If anything you say even vaguely hints that you might want to stay in Canada, however...

Another fun time is when we flew back to Canada from France. Nonstop Paris-Montréal. My visa was still well within the allotted dates and entirely legitimate but nevertheless the lovely border guards detained me in the criminal box and demanded why I didn't fly back to the US if I'm a US citizen, never mind my entirely legal and documented canadian address, for a good hour, meanwhile my canadian gf gets to stand awkwardly near security and get ignored until someone comes round to snatch her phone. If you're not guilty you have nothing to hide!

When we flew via Canada from Japan, destination in the USA, we had a 7 hour layover in Canada and they made us go through immigration. We got subjected to a ridiculous interrogation about the state of our finances, why we were going via Canada (answer: it was a cheap deal on a flight) if we intended to stay in Canada, because they weren't sure they believed us (no, that's why we have a connecting flight back to the USA) what are we going to do in Canada (eat poutine in the airport) how the hell did we afford a three week vacation in Japan (well clearly we did because our passport is stamped going in then out three weeks later) and how we got time off work to have a three week vacation in Japan (um, I'm self employed, husband is a grade school teacher and it was summer vacation.) Then why, if we have so much money to go on vacation to Japan for three weeks, did we take a cheap flight offer via Canada? (Because I'm miserly with prices of things and I guess that's how I manage to save money?)

I figure we must just look like "riff raff."

I've been all over the world and never been held back so long and asked so many questions at any airport before. I'm a green card holder to the USA, husband is an American citizen. I doubt I'll be visiting Canada any time soon if I run the risk of being rejected entry and wasting my plane fare and hotel booking fees. The next time we went to Japan we went via Istanbul and got waved right through, they also had a free tour bus thing that anyone with a connecting flight could take advantage of to see what the city was like.

My unpopular opinion: it should be illegal to make mugshots and arrest records publically accessible. If people haven't been found guilty, wrecking their employment viability and social lives over the American right to publicly access official records is not something I can morally support.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Retro Access posted:

When we flew via Canada from Japan, destination in the USA, we had a 7 hour layover in Canada and they made us go through immigration. We got subjected to a ridiculous interrogation about the state of our finances, why we were going via Canada (answer: it was a cheap deal on a flight) if we intended to stay in Canada, because they weren't sure they believed us (no, that's why we have a connecting flight back to the USA) what are we going to do in Canada (eat poutine in the airport) how the hell did we afford a three week vacation in Japan (well clearly we did because our passport is stamped going in then out three weeks later) and how we got time off work to have a three week vacation in Japan (um, I'm self employed, husband is a grade school teacher and it was summer vacation.) Then why, if we have so much money to go on vacation to Japan for three weeks, did we take a cheap flight offer via Canada? (Because I'm miserly with prices of things and I guess that's how I manage to save money?)

I figure we must just look like "riff raff."

I've been all over the world and never been held back so long and asked so many questions at any airport before. I'm a green card holder to the USA, husband is an American citizen. I doubt I'll be visiting Canada any time soon if I run the risk of being rejected entry and wasting my plane fare and hotel booking fees. The next time we went to Japan we went via Istanbul and got waved right through, they also had a free tour bus thing that anyone with a connecting flight could take advantage of to see what the city was like.

My unpopular opinion: it should be illegal to make mugshots and arrest records publically accessible. If people haven't been found guilty, wrecking their employment viability and social lives over the American right to publicly access official records is not something I can morally support.

Fun fact: Expunging your arrests doesn't work all of the time either. I've had all of my arrests in Chicago and the suburbs expunged, but there is one arrest in Joliet that always pops on background checks, but with absolutely no information on it. So it will automatically fail me if I don't hand in a print out the County Clerk gave me that basically says "we can't expunge this arrest because we don't know how so just ignore this arrest from when Solice Kirsk was 18."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I always get the most problems with security/customs going through London. I avoid it whenever possible because their security guards extend their fingers way too far down into your waistband for my comfort.

Anyway I agree about mugshots I think - they should only appear and be accessible if and only if you are found or plead guilty.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Hm interesting, I've entered Canada by car several times and never had a problem; it's always the Americans on the way back who give me static for buying too much liquor at duty free (but stuff is cheaper if you buy two!!) or whatever.

But last weekend I had an interview for Nexus enrollment. The American guy actually needed some additional paperwork, but he was a nice guy and we chit-chatted. The Canadian guy was king loving douche of rear end in a top hat mountain, who sweated me for about twenty minutes about how often I go there.

"Why do you want Nexus?"
"Because I come up to Vancouver a couple times a year for the weekend, and sometimes the line at the crossing is really long."
"A couple?"
"Yeah, yknow, once or twice a year."
"So which is it, once or twice?"
"I'm really not sure, I guess I'd say twice a year...I think the last time before today was in October."

He pulls up all my records and clucks his way through them, shaking his head.

"Once this weekend, once in October...once in January."
"Okay so once so far this year and twice last year?"
"Once in 2015..."
"Okay?"
"And before that once in 2013? And once in 2011?!"
"I guess so. I thought it was more often but I guess I misremembered."
"THIS IS A TRUSTED TRAVELER PROGRAM. HOW CAN I TRUST YOU WHEN YOU HAVE SHOWN YOUR CREDIBILITY TO BE SO LOW? YOU ARE NOT TAKING THIS SERIOUSLY. WHY SHOULD THE NATION OF CANADA ENTRUST YOU WITH ITS MOST PRECIOUS RESOURCE, ITS TRUST, WHEN YOU ARE NOT A SERIOUS OR TRUSTWORTHY PERSON?!"

They approved me anyway. I assumed this was just some novice interrogation technique designed to get me to confess something, but some of these stories make it seem more like a pattern.

I guess it's a PHUO that Canadians can be jackasses just like anybody. Don't tell Imgur I said that, they practically worship that place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mind the walrus posted:

1. Hispanic means "from or derived from Spain." After half a millennium of colonization and intermarriage that definition really doesn't apply to most Latinos (which means "of Latin America") Plus "Hispanic" ignores that a lot of other immigrants have colonized and had progeny in Latin America. We don't denote Brazillians as Portuguese, why would people with mestizo, British, and German ancestry in Argentina call themselves "Hispanic?"
I guess "Latin" is slightly more accurate because it's not specific to Spain, but it also refers to that same part of Europe. Like, people of German or British ancestry shouldn't be called Latino either, by your argument. :confused:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

starkebn posted:

How did they get that impression?

Clearly they've never been to Melbourne or Sydney. We even had a homeless squat at Flinders Street station a few months ago.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
companies and scientists are working on a thc breathalyzer. why not all the other drugs as well?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I guess "Latin" is slightly more accurate because it's not specific to Spain, but it also refers to that same part of Europe. Like, people of German or British ancestry shouldn't be called Latino either, by your argument. :confused:
Latino is the correct phrase for someone born in Mexico, Central America, and South America because it refers to countries founded primarily by Spain and Portugal, two Latin countries of Europe. Someone of Germanic or British or African ancestry born in Latin America still qualify as Latino, and are considered white, mestizo, black etc after the designation Latino.

That is how I've had to fill out ethnicity forms my entire life. Most have simply Hispanic/Latino listed, but a large amount also ask you to specify further afterwards.

In any case restricting the ethnicity overhead strictly to Spain over the wider range Latino can express sucks for reasons outlined earlier.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I once had the pleasure of having my car searched and my canadian girlfriend interrogated while I sat in a border office lobby, while nearby an older indian couple pleaded with a border agent via their son who was translating, only to see them turned away. Also they confisticated everyone's phones and clicked through all parties' texts and voicemails.
The first time I visited Canada (from Sweden, which Canada doesn't need a Visa for travel from) I was interrogated for half an hour at the border, getting asked who I was visiting, where I was staying, what my friend's address was, how we met, etc. Fortunately my friend had prepared me for this so I had it all written down. Then they called up my friend and asked her to verify everything I had said before begrudgingly letting me through.

Second and third time I just breezed through immigration with the guard barely glancing at my passport.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When I first went to the US I was terrified of the airport guards, but the dude was super chill and honestly more into fixing his sunglasses than interrogating me.

The best VISA experience is returning to Australia, though. As soon as they hear an Aus accent they just don't even bother looking at your passport.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
I'll dig this one out of the couple-pages-ago grave: Child support payments should have a sane, absolute-dollar minimum that reflects something like half the monthly cost of raising a child.

On top of that, some percentage of each payment ought be held in an escrow so that a missed payment doesn't immediately cause a shortfall on the receiving end. Either that, or child supporters could pay into a pool the same way employers do for unemployment insurance.

Like, supporting a kid is an inflexible obligation. It costs a minimum of a few hundred bucks a month no matter how little you make, and it's silly to let people pass those costs onto the custodial parent by using income-based calculations that pretend parenting expenses are way more elastic then they actually are.

Case in point: I've got some number of students who're single parents with sole custody of a child whose other parent is also a student. Because the non-custodial parent is broke their obligations can be like $25/month.

A saner number would be no lower than $350/month (half the cost of day care), since the custodial parent obviously needs to work in order for the kid to eat.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Forcing the broke person to pay more money won't magic up some money from nowhere, I'm not sure what exactly that would accomplish.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

WampaLord posted:

Forcing the broke person to pay more money won't magic up some money from nowhere, I'm not sure what exactly that would accomplish.

Yeah a steady amount that is less than ideal is better than going after all they have until they can't give anything at all. Raising a kid does cost a fairly fixed amount per month, but so does living as an adult and that amount is definitely higher than zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's not my fault she wouldn't get that abortion.