Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Everyone already mentioned how poo poo the combat is.

No one mentioned how most, if not all, the interesting plot beats take place offscreen or to other chars that aren't in your party.

The music is completely forgettable too.

FF12 is not a good game.
I was already familiar with the pros and cons of the game's story style and structure, I just wanted opinions on the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FF12 owns

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

To be fair, it does get better later, but it definitely won't change your opinions if you're cold on the gameplay after the first hour or two.
"it gets better later" only ever seems to be used in order to convince someone to keep playing a game they aren't enjoying, which is ridiculous, because most games aren't going to morph into an entirely different game halfway through.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

To be fair, it does get better later, but it definitely won't change your opinions if you're cold on the gameplay after the first hour or two.

I actually have heard several people say they just didn't like the combat the first time they played the game (and sometimes played THROUGH the game), but then it "clicked" later and they loved it. So you can't necessarily say people won't learn to like it later.

Also, I think the combat shines during tough boss fights, and you don't really get any of those in the first hour or two. Once you get to start fighting optional espers and some of the more interesting hunts, I had more fun with the battle system in XII than any other game in the series.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I disagree with the negative comments on the soundtrack but I'm biased because I enjoy all of Hitoshi Sakimoto's work.

Please play Tactics Ogre for PSP if you haven't already. I have at least 300 hours in that game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
FF12 owns if you want the video game version of watching golf or antique road show to help you fall asleep.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

All of these bad opinions! AGH!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the only bad opinion in this thread is that there's good stuff in ff12

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm looking forward to the remake. FF12 is an absolutely gorgeous game if you run it on an emulator, where you can see it scaled into HD, but the original console release has a lot of graphical limitations. I guess it's similar to Xenoblade in that way too.

I never got too far in the Zodiac version of FF12, but I think it has some resemblance to games like Icewind Dale and Dragon Quest 3, where you basically design an adventuring party and see how they deal with what the game throws at them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nihilarian posted:

If you do play the game, don't be that guy who played the game for 20+ hours because one poster in the thread said "it gets better later". You'll figure out whether you'll enjoy it or not in the first hour or two.

That was me. Somebody in this thread tricked me good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXII is what FFXV should've been.

They took a step back in so many things FFXII already did perfectly

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I actually have heard several people say they just didn't like the combat the first time they played the game (and sometimes played THROUGH the game), but then it "clicked" later and they loved it. So you can't necessarily say people won't learn to like it later.
the game didn't change, they did

some guy on the bus posted:

That was me. Somebody in this thread tricked me good.
you tricked yourself, bud

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WaltherFeng posted:

15 had problems but also didn't literally put me to sleep so nah

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
FFXII is a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed and if you find the Gambit system is making things feel too hands off... turn it off. You can absolutely turn it off, and then manually set character actions. Or you can just set up AI buddies and punch your own way in. Which is how I played the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FF XII is one of those games I hated when I first played it, but came to appreciate upon revisiting it a few times. The International version changes help too because vanilla XII is pretty unbearable.

To be honest, I don't see it as a worse game than Xenoblade Chronicles and this forum circlejerked that game constantly when it first came out, praising it as the best JRPG ever when it had a lot of the same issues FF XII did.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xenoblade has an entertaining story, more than one likeable character and areas that aren't just brown desert.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xenoblade had an actual third act instead of yet another matsuno demon all along plot

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Xenoblade Chronicles was definitely the better game, but was hampered by technical limitations and being released on a platform that restricted it's exposure. The combat systems are very different and have completely different character progression.

I like both games, but Xenoblade is a Really Good Game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're down with Final Fantasy then that means you're down for the whole stupid ride of convoluted, kooky plots and FF12 is such a by the numbers RPG that it doesn't deserve to be in the company of the same series that brought us FFX-2 and Lightning Returns.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

WaltherFeng posted:

FFXV is like if you took FFXV and instead of having it play itself, made the battles engaging and intense, didn't make the player endure 20 hours of worthless desert, gave it fun likable characters with great chemistry, and gave it awesome music rather than the blandest soundtrack in the series.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

some guy on the bus posted:

FFXV is like if you took FFXV and instead of having it play itself, made the battles engaging and intense, didn't make the player endure 20 hours of worthless desert, gave it fun likable characters with great chemistry, and gave it awesome music rather than the blandest soundtrack in the series.

I dunno I didn't think 15 was that bad

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Arist posted:

FF12 owns

:hai:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
FFXII is a really good game with some really obvious issues. How much those issues bother you will determine how much you like the very good game. For my money it has a great tone, and probably my favorite atmosphere of any FF game (especially later in the game when things get weird).

I have a soft spot for the Matsuno stuff though so I'm warmer on it because of that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Side note to games that put you to sleep: I don't think I've ever played an RPG and not fallen asleep with the controller in my hands at some point during it. My Persona 5 save is something like 120 hours because I'll be playing a little later than I ought to be and *poof* my eyes pop open and it's 4 am so I just save and go to bed.

I've done that with literally every RPG I've played since ... college I guess.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
FFXII threw me for a loop at times. In previous games, undead monsters were jokes you could just heal or revive and kill quickly, getting free experience! Everybody's happy!

In FFXII, they will kick your teeth down your throat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
is ff14 good and is the ps4 version good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Once you get through the endless hell that is FFXIV MSQ, it becomes a good game

So no it is not good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

It's an MMO so no

(If you like MMOs it's apparently very good)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

It is both good and cool and the MSQ is one of my favorite FF plots since X.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Square Enix is messing up by not taking the Hildy and Greg story quests and making them a separate game

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the msq is one of the better parts because it's all a downhill grind afterwards.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Vargatron posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles was definitely the better game, but was hampered by technical limitations and being released on a platform that restricted it's exposure.

I'm pretty sure the Wii was the best selling console of the seventh generation by a significant margin.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dross posted:

I'm pretty sure the Wii was the best selling console of the seventh generation by a significant margin.

It's audience wasn't very well suited for JRPGs though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Xenoblade has gotten two sequels and both of them didn't require an online campaign to bring over to North America so it sounds like it's doing good with the limited audience.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The game would have had better success on PS3.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think NoA only releasing it via gamestop, which almost immediately started scalping "used" copies did more there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vargatron posted:

The game would have had better success on PS3.

The game would literally not exist without Nintendo so probably not, no.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Getting a character in Smash Bros is like the ultimate success.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Xenoblade Chronicles had two major issues: bad RNG for item gathering in the fetch quests, and the lack of a gambit system. The computer AI was just awful at controlling your other characters, mainly Shulk (always picked lovely Monado abilities), Melia (couldn't figure out how to use her summons), and Sharla (always overheated her rifle). I'm not sure if the re-release fixed any of that.

Anyway, FFXII is good, not the greatest. But good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The way levels work in Xenoblade isn't great either. At least when I was playing it it felt like levels were what determined the tide of battle more often than not.

Maybe I was just bad at it.