Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

oops, I meant to get the explosion in there
...said the devs when making that missile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Please tell me that spaceship gif is from Star Citizen. It would only be so fitting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dialhforhero posted:

Please tell me that spaceship gif is from Star Citizen. It would only be so fitting.

Click through the quote, it is.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Can someone explain to me the thread title? Which game made you deaf when you turned invisible? I'm guessing an old rogue like, but it could easily be Skyrim.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Space Station 13.

It makes perfect sense. You see, when characters turned invisible, sound waves couldn't see them. :engleft:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I remember Knights of the Old Republic (was it 1 or 2?) had a similar bug. In one of the cutscenes, one of the characters would actually make a perception check before delivering their line. If you were stealthed when you entered the cutscene, they would just stand there, and the cutscene wouldn't proceed.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Leavemywife posted:

Can someone explain to me the thread title? Which game made you deaf when you turned invisible? I'm guessing an old rogue like, but it could easily be Skyrim.

It was Space Station 13, if you were invisible sound couldnt find you

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

FredMSloniker posted:

I remember Knights of the Old Republic (was it 1 or 2?) had a similar bug. In one of the cutscenes, one of the characters would actually make a perception check before delivering their line. If you were stealthed when you entered the cutscene, they would just stand there, and the cutscene wouldn't proceed.

Probably 2 - the absurd release schedule made the first release a steaming pile of buggy problems. I remember getting to the Jedi retreat on Telos IV, killing the assassin droids, going inside and then having the cutscene half-register so that it stops partway through with no dialogue triggering. This meant that characters were stuck in their cutscene positions and could run around a bit and look at them, but nothing happened. Had to reload and do about half an hour worth of game just to try again and hope it didn't happen again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheMaestroso posted:

Probably 2 - the absurd release schedule made the first release a steaming pile of buggy problems. I remember getting to the Jedi retreat on Telos IV, killing the assassin droids, going inside and then having the cutscene half-register so that it stops partway through with no dialogue triggering. This meant that characters were stuck in their cutscene positions and could run around a bit and look at them, but nothing happened. Had to reload and do about half an hour worth of game just to try again and hope it didn't happen again.

I actually think it's in the first KotOR. There is essentially a jailbreak sequence in which you pick a single character to free some others. I vaguely remember some sort of recommendation to never pick party members that could use stealth for that one.

Edit: It seems so.

quote:

If your character is cloaked when you finish this section, you will probably get the
Carth Glitch. It won't happen right away, but during a certain cut scene, the
game will not advance past a line of dialog from Carth, because Mission is
supposed to speak next, and you can't see her!

The game actually makes a roll of your awareness vs. her stealth during this
cut-scene! IF you have a high enough awareness or are wearing awareness
enhancing equipment you might be able to get past this. The game will
automatically re-roll every 20 seconds, so if it is mathematically possible
for you to beat Mission's stealth, you can just leave the game sitting, and
it will eventually get past this. It make take minutes, but it could also
take hours.
If you have little or no awareness, then the only way to get past
this is to load a previous save. If you didn't use stealth on this part, you
shouldn't get the bug.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Jun 20, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Space Station 13.

It makes perfect sense. You see, when characters turned invisible, sound waves couldn't see them. :engleft:

To put this a bit further, there is a hilarious twitter account that just posts funny entries from changelogs:

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mierenneuker posted:

I actually think it's in the first KotOR. There is essentially a jailbreak sequence in which you pick a single character to free some others. I vaguely remember some sort of recommendation to never pick party members that could use stealth for that one.

Edit: It seems so.

Missed that bug, I guess!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I feel like I should have known it was SS13.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Leavemywife posted:

Incredibly esoteric simulation bugs seem to usually belong to SS13, Dwarf Fortress, or the Sims.

Did the Grim Reaper get distracted from his job panicking because a baby was about to be born, leading to unintentional immortality? Sims.
Did skin layers accidentally generate underneath other flesh leading to horrible, bleeding, The Visible Man monstrosities? Dwarf Fortress.
Did someone divide the water in a beaker down to molecular levels, allowing them to superheat it into a plasmatic bomb? Space Station 13.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

You're talking about a game where at one point you could make a fire from cheese, which would naturally make cheese smoke which would coat any tile it touched in cheese, that after the fire got hot enough, would then catch on fire, and make more cheese smoke. Which would coat more tiles in cheese to burn.

Or the thermal engine that you can power with the equivalent of single gas molecules that fucks the rounding so bad that the engine reports a temperature about six quntillion times hotter than the theoretical absolute hottest anything (in reality) can get. And the engine gets grumpy, occasionally so you have to feed it people and weed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Can you power the engine with cheese?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You could probably power them with potato chips and water, since those apparently cause explosions.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
It would probably remain grumpy if you fed it cheese.

The stories of SS13 are numerous and hilarious. Lots of things remain as features due to how things interact with one another (such as being sent into the shadow realm if you're in a closet that someone has eaten when they use a mutation called Mater Eater which lets you eat just about anything, including your own limbs, heart, and the UI element for grabbing things)

TopHatGenius has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Jun 20, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dwarf Fortress has progressed to having good AI bugs as well, such as:

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/859461883258122240

No idea what this one's from, though.
https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/856924725284569088

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty sure that one is Crusader Kings II.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Pretty good summary of any change log. Or pretty much everything else in the world.

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/855105738154311680

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

cage-free egghead posted:

To put this a bit further, there is a hilarious twitter account that just posts funny entries from changelogs:

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog

This is a pro click.

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/743126139913199617

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:stonk:

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/713439005916925952

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah the strange log is amazing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/856924725284569088

I love how easy it is to recognise CK2 logs.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
re: space station 13, there is one specific player that, when fed to the engine, reduces engine grump massively

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Robhol posted:

Pretty sure that one is Crusader Kings II.

Broken Cog posted:

I love how easy it is to recognise CK2 logs.

Why are there immortal people in Crusader Kings 2?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why are there immortal people in Crusader Kings 2?

part of a quest chain, not much weirder than the son of satan or aztec invasions

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Robindaybird posted:

part of a quest chain, not much weirder than the son of satan or aztec invasions

Wait, can your leader become immortal? Because that eliminates the main way you can lose in that game (unless you gently caress up enough to both not have a successor and get assassinated, I guess).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Double Punctuation posted:

Wait, can your leader become immortal? Because that eliminates the main way you can lose in that game (unless you gently caress up enough to both not have a successor and get assassinated, I guess).

It's limited immortality, as they can still die from executed or from events, but disease and old age won't touch them

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Robindaybird posted:

It's limited immortality, as they can still die from executed or from events, but disease and old age won't touch them

Disease can kill them, it's just very hard because it gives them a high invisible health score. And frankly, it's mostly the treatments that do it. At some point, your immortal ruler is just like a torso and head with no eyes or balls or limbs and a disfigured face because they keep having cancerous bits cut off.

And if they last long enough, people get suspicious of them, and maybe another immortal will show up and go "gently caress off, you're being too obvious" and kill them and you're too maimed to win.

...that's how it went for me anyway. Except the second time where I got assassinated by my heir who I guess was just done with waiting.

Oh, and about the loving thing, there was a thing where an event will show up if you are old and have a hot young spouse and you bang vigorously and it has a chance to kill you. It didn't check for immortality, and immortality freezes you at the age you're at when you obtain it, so it shouldn't hurt you if you become immortal fairly young. Also, it gets more likely the older you get. So being an old immortal made it inevitable that you would gently caress to death.

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Jun 21, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Double Punctuation posted:

You could probably power them with potato chips and water, since those apparently cause explosions.
Did anybody ever figure out how that one worked?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Zereth posted:

Did anybody ever figure out how that one worked?

Turns out it was a misdirection, if I'm remembering rightly. For a while people thought it was sodium from the chips reacting with water (and that actually probably is a thing you can do, as it's entirely possible to turn potassium from bananas into explosives using water), but the incident in question was the glitch I mentioned above, which is also used for the atomic engine hellburn DelphiAegis mentioned. Basically, you'd keep splitting the contents of a beaker until you had an infinitely small amount of water, and then heat that up. Some combination of rounding errors, underflow errors, or misapplied physics meant that you were now the proud owner of a beaker of concentrated Hell several times hotter than the core of the sun, and as soon as it was let OUT of the beaker and allowed to interact with the world physics all hell would break loose.

Fun thing: food containing reagents was incrementally added. I seem to recall the banana bombs were originally discovered on accident when potassium was added to bananas, causing anyone who ate a banana and drank some water to mysteriously explode.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Fun thing: food containing reagents was incrementally added. I seem to recall the banana bombs were originally discovered on accident when potassium was added to bananas, causing anyone who ate a banana and drank some water to mysteriously explode.

This became exponentially crazier when someone implemented the ability for Botany to splice plants together and grow hybrid fruits. Cue some lunatic growing watermelony bananapples that looked like ordinary apples, but instantly blew all your loving limbs off the microsecond you took a bite.

There was also a guy who somehow spliced sugar cane or something with peanuts and then managed to get their potency so high that eating a single peanut immediately replaced all of your blood with pure sugar and put you in a literally permanent diabetic coma, like a wretched parody of Merlin's enchanted sleep.

After a certain point, a lot of SS13's emergent mechanics are just the result of the admins implementing things, watching the station spiral into ruin, and then patching the handful of unacceptably gamebreaking bugs before slapping a FEATURE sticker over the remaining bugs and loving off to get drunk.

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Jun 21, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

After a certain point, a lot of SS13's emergent mechanics are just the result of the admins implementing things, watching the station spiral into ruin, and then patching the handful of unacceptably gamebreaking bugs before slapping a FEATURE sticker over the remaining bugs and loving off to get drunk.

If only all games could have such a system and pedigree.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

As I understand it, that is actually how Goat Simulator was made: every "bug" or "glitch" with the least comedic potential was named a feature, frequently leading to something being added to the game-world so the player could trigger it more easily or have a quest to unlock it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone have a link to that SS13 quote where one of the mods (IIRC) calls out everyone on being terrorists who make explosives from salt and water?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That was PopeCrunch:

quote:

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP) 

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

The whole sordid affair is summarized here

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jun 21, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah the strange log is amazing.

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/875055335748366337

:smith:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Angry Diplomat posted:

That was PopeCrunch:

The whole sordid affair is summarized here

Aw yiss that's the good stuff right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/847146503441448961

:stare: