Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

The next 25-30 years should be devoted to geo-galactic containment of the Turmexians followed by vassalization :black101:

Are you suggesting we build a space wall and make the Turmexians pay for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Looks like A New Life wins hands down. Update soon!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

rabiddeity posted:

Are you suggesting we build a space wall and make the Turmexians pay for it?

Yes. :ese:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

2210.06.16 - 2213.11.05

The UN adopts an advertising campaign to glorify living a life out on the frontier for those tired of life on Earth.

The Turmexians colonize Ujqiohr, possibly as a response to the UN's rapid colonizing of two worlds in such a short time.

Potti's pirates are spotted again in the Sirius system, and the 1st Fleet is ordered to intercept. Dr. Batista, hearing of this, finishes work on Ion Thrusters and begins working on toughening the defenses of military ships.

During a conversation with the Trinikans, they tell us they just met and subsequently signed a non-aggression treaty with the Kitsu.

The first real test of the Anaconda fleet begins.

With only one ship lost, Admiral Judith Lewinson makes quick work of the pirates. One of Earth's more sensationalist newspapers carries the headline "Navy Flushes Potti."

On Earth, a new party arises. Named the Xeno Aid Forum, it states its goals as keeping peaceful diplomatic relations with other empires.

With enough habitable worlds discovered, the scientific community is excited with all the new data acquired. A museum dedicated to exoplanetary life forms is dedicated in Houston.

The Kitsu and the Trinikans join the multi-planet club.

Dr. Dietrich is dispatched to recover the wreckage from the pirate ships near Sirius III. He discovers components not of Human design on them -- in fact, a large piece of debris, thought to be a part of some sort of energy field generator, has Turexmian writing on it.

A project begins to reverse-engineer this technology.

Terra Nova is now considered officially colonized.

Dr. Dietrich stumbles across a pirate station on an asteroid on the Hras system, and the 1st Fleet is dispatched to bring the inhabitants to justice.

After fleeing Hras, Dr. Dietrich discovers evidence of precursor artifacts on the asteroid VGVV-M31-M31 in the Faranou System. "Was this empire -- the First League, as my xenolinguistics expert calls it -- one of the participants in the ancient battle above Procyon II? Further research is needed."

Dr. Fehér, after finishing her paper on Galactic Ambitions, asks her group what they can do about the food "crisis" the UN keeps slipping in and out of.

On Faranou I, Dr. Dietrich discovers an ancient temple. "Was this some sort of religion in the First League?" he asks in his report back to Earth. "Who were these 'Johdees?'"

The pirate base in the Hras system is no more, and its treasures are added to the UN's treasury.

The UN's diplomats are ejected from Turexmian space, and they close their borders. The UN reacts in turn, blocking any Turexmian vessels from entering UN territory. The word "buzzards" becomes a popular slur against the Turexmians, and debates are held over whether to build a "sensor wall" on the border.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Complaints have been made by the populace of our inhabited planets that the UN is focusing too much on space and not paying enough attention on planetside matters. Assembly members figure they can't sit on this problem and start making proposals about what to build.
(Note: Our food production is -0.25/month, meaning pop growth is stopped because the food stockpile is no longer at its cap.)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Plop down a couple basic farms, and keep our navy boys fed to deal with the Buzzard menace. Also, encircle the Buzzards.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Food and ships. That's what we need. More farms home and more ships in the sky.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
clean up the dead cities on earth dang man

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

What's the UN's current resource income?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My recommendations are to build a Farm on Earth and a couple of Mines on Gaia's Landing. If/when resources permit, a power plant then science labs on Terra Nova.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

More ships to defend against the Turexmian threat.
:black101::black101:

Danny Glands posted:

With only one ship lost, Admiral Judith Lewinson makes quick work of the pirates. One of Earth's more sensationalist newspapers carries the headline "Navy Flushes Potti."

:golfclap:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weavered posted:

More ships to defend against the Turexmian threat.
:black101::black101:
This. More ships never hurt anybody. Except for the enemy. Hak hak hak!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Kanthulhu posted:

Food and ships. That's what we need. More farms home and more ships in the sky.

This.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
First round build a farm on Earth, a mine on Gaia's Landing and a farm on Terra Nova.

Furthermore Turexmian delenda est.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Well, along with next update's tradition vote I'll add in a vote for what we should demand of the Turexmians in a potential war.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Danny Glands posted:

Well, along with next update's tradition vote I'll add in a vote for what we should demand of the Turexmians in a potential war.

Hmm, they're a bit too close to be happy with liberation. Annexation may be the way to go.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
We need farms to be our immediate priority. If our population can't eat they can't do anything else either. In light of growing tensions with the Buzzards I suggest we rival them and develop our fleet in preparation for their inevitable declaration of war.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Danny Glands posted:

In the face of this prolonged economic weakness caused by Turex greed and their monopolistic cartels it is only natural that our own working families be given relief. For too long the hours our men and women worked, the wages they received, the conditions of their labor—these had passed beyond the control of our people, and were imposed by this new interstellar dictatorship.

Turexmian owes us Tribute.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Can't we just Force Vassalise them? Or take one planet, Liberate the rest, and make those Liberated planets into our vassal?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Farms wins the improvement vote, and I'll get an update out as soon as I finish cropping the screenshots.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

2213.11.05 - 2218.03.18

Construction of farms begin on both Earth and Terra Nova. Food production quickly returns to a surplus.

Spider World is now within the UN's borders, but some wonder if the resources the frontier station uses are worth it.

Admiral Lewinson becomes adept at stretching her fleet's supplies.

The Anaconda fleet is refurbished to include more armor. More ships are being built as well.

Dr. Batista begins work on constructing better spaceports, with the possibility of eventually designing spaceports that can hold larger ships than the Anaconda-class.

Upon translating the name of one of the Turexmians' survey ships, Dr. Zhivenkov bursts out into laughter.

President Muwanga begins to become a little more discriminating on nominating candidates for government positions. (This gives us a +1 bonus on new leaders at the cost of a 25% hiring cost increase, but since we are often hitting the Influence cap, I personally don't think it's a big deal.)

Dr. de la Cruz begins research on how to optimize power generation and storage, while Dr. Fehér begins on designing new laboratories dedicated to xenobiological research.

Dr. Dietrich notices an ancient weapons installalation on the tomb world of Maretisda III. "We can refit these to work again," he notes, "if we can ever set foot on this irradiated hellhole."

After researching the fourth planet in the Maretisda system, he adds "Whoever created this planet and the weapons installation would have been like gods."

When visiting Malperion, the Kitsu ambassador states that they would like to enter into a free immigration treaty. It is accepted. Humans who emigrate to Kitsu worlds are warned to duck when going through doorways designed for the shorter Kitsu.

Cleanup of the last few industrial wastelands on Earth begins.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
We've hit the Unity cap again, and we have two Traditions left in Expansion, so we'll adopt the one chosen now and take the final one the next time we hit the cap. Which do we take first:

• Courier Network, which decreases the effect on Tradition Costs caused by number of planets by 33%; or
  • Reach for the Stars, which will treat costs for new Frontier Outposts and colonies as if they were only half the distance away?

Also, let's start discussion on what we want out of a war with the Buzzards.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Courier Network

No real input on war, I always just built things.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
keep cleaning earth! the power is yours!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Courier Network

War: Conquest and annexation.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Courier network. Getting unity cost reducers early pays for itself many times over.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

AJ_Impy posted:

Courier network. Getting unity cost reducers early pays for itself many times over.

Get that snowball rollin'.

Also calling for liberation wars.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Courier Network and
Vassalization because I don't want to have to rule the sea buzzards directly if I can avoid it.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
A Courier Network is the better choice. What value owning a larger slice of space if we can't effectively govern it? As for the buzzards, we should not fire the first shots, lest we become tyrants ourselves, but when they inevitably kick off, we should vassalize them with the goal of re-educating their populace into eventually becoming full citizens of our peaceful collective of sapients.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Courier Network and TOTAL ANNEXATION

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
As much as I dislike the Buzzards, the simple truth is they're far too close. Evan as a vassal or liberated state, they'd cramp our style. We have to Annex them, else we'll be surrounded by Buzzard offshoots.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Repeated my vote force vassalizing as a Tributary. Our fleets will be no match for theirs if we go against their home starport, but if we strike quick we can take their new planets before they are defended and get enough warscore for tribute. That strategy should work for vassalizing too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why are we going to war with the buzzards?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Courier Network, it's such a drag to have to send sensitive information by postcard.

SirPhoebos posted:

They taste like chicken.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

They're the closest empire and easiest to restrict. If we tributize/vassalize them we protect our core ward flank.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The best protection for the coreward flank is abutting the core, which we would do if we annexed them. As a tributary they could still allow hostile fleets access.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

When we first ventured into the galaxy young and naive they crashed our economy to make a quick buck. That's why I'm arguing for Tribute, it's the most proportionate response (even if not the most min/max option).

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 23, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Courier Network and Vassalization because I know it will grind their Board members gears to absolutely no end to have to answer to someone else.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Because they're there?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

paragon1 posted:

Courier Network and Vassalization because I know it will grind their Board members gears to absolutely no end to have to answer to someone else.

Seconding. It's time to execute a hostile takeover. Turn them into a wholly owned subsidiary!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

They sold us crappy products, so now they have to pay in blood. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Sorry for the lack of update, busy with college things.

• Locked thread