Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I didn't see this posted. It's a bonus scene that didn't make it into the finale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQpVA6gMh0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Old folks home can afford 10+ million cash settlement, big law firm can't find 3 million

If it's structured as an LLP they'll typically pay out huge portions (if not all) of their profits to the general partners as bonuses. It's also a TV show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

Nah no way Chuck left his money to Jimmy. Probably gave it to some legal charity.

Also the settlement fell through, so Jimmy is not a millionaire +

It's the charity for rear end in a top hat lawyers who treat their friends and family like poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It's the charity for rear end in a top hat lawyers who treat their friends and family like poo poo.

Amway has a charity division?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Old folks home can afford 10+ million cash settlement, big law firm can't find 3 million

It's been established that Sandpiper is an organization that runs dozens of these retirement homes all over the country. That was the whole point of the commercial.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

HHM is only "one of the biggest" firms in the state, and I'm under the impression that New Mexico is one of the more sparsely populated states. Considering multi-national law firms are a thing, they're not that big of a deal as far as law firms go. In contrast Sandpiper extends beyond the borders of New Mexico, and unless I missed something to the contrary, is possibly a national chain. Combined with what others have said about law firm finances, it's not infeasible that they'd have more cash on hand than HHM, especially considering they've been scamming their customers.

efb while painstakingly doing italic BB code on my phone

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 21, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also it could just be that they know they defrauded their residents of far, far more money than that, and they're willing to pay the 10+ million to avoid the possibility of having to pay more.

Also these types of settlements not infrequently bankrupt the defendants anyway

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Doctor Reynolds posted:

He says "I know how to fix the Irene situation, but I reeeeeeeeeally don't want to do it."

Not going to lie when he said this and then it switched to the Chair Yoga, I honestly thought he meant he really did not want to do chair yoga...

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I think the rift between Jimmy and Kim will come from the death of Chuck. Information about the suicide and state of the house will emerge, and Kim will continue to blame herself for destroying Chuck. - Remember when she snapped at Paige for what she said about Chuck?

This guilt will make it so she can never look Jimmy in the eye again...

Jimmy, much like Chuck, will be left with no-one and that's when he quote-unquote 'breaks-bad'' - Although I personally side with the notion that Jimmy is a very grey character.

-This finale was good, but I did not enjoy the Jimmy and Kim parts all too much, thought they were longer than necessary. Chuck's breakdown, on the other hand, was amazing to watch, even if it took 10-15 minutes.

Thanks to the actor for giving us gently caress Chuck.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Manic X posted:

-This finale was good, but I did not enjoy the Jimmy and Kim parts all too much, thought they were longer than necessary. Chuck's breakdown, on the other hand, was amazing to watch, even if it took 10-15 minutes.

Agreed. We needed way more scenes of Kim in those form fitting pajamas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PassTheRemote posted:

I am going to miss Michael McKean in this show. For all I hated Chuck, he played the character perfectly.

God yes, he was so good.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Chuck: An rear end in a top hat to the end.

Hamlin: Still a classy fella.

BringBackATV posted:

Yes - I think the significant line was when he said that when he got his licence back he would adopt a new business model, possibly he's realising that his empathy for his "victims" is what brings him down in the end, and by becoming the Criminal Lawyer that Saul is he will avoid this by the fact that he's dealing with people who chose the criminal life and deserve what's coming to them

Reminds me of the villain in Fargo: “The problem is not that there is evil in the world. The problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care.”

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 21, 2017

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

In light of recent events, let's all take a look back at one of Chuck's many ineffectual attempts to stop someone he loves from hurting others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnoZ39hqctk

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Hamlin: Still a classy fella.

I like how this show presents him as "not really someone you'd want to hang out with" but "a reasonable if stiff" person.

Also, in in the insider podcast Bob Odenkirk muses about the possibility that Jimmy marries Kim and she just lives in a different state during the events of BB that he drives up to every weekend to meet with. :unsmith:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Settlement is still going through. In fact Jimmy is going to get more money because the old ladies are gonna go back to Erin and tell her to keep trying to get more.

If the legal battle with sandpiper took long enough that it hasn't paid out by BB era most of those old ladies are probably dead and jimmy was right to push for it now.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Vakal posted:

Agreed. We needed way more scenes of Kim in those form fitting pajamas.
How is this only being mentioned now? :allears:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

He could get his settlement millionish and maybe even Chucks 9 million and then lose it all. Like gets sued right back or something. Or something criminal gone wrong with Mike.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 21, 2017

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Where has this 9 million derail come from?

Hamlin's arrangement was verbal, Chuck certainly didn't sign anything there and then. Furthermore, he suicided pretty much the same day that all happened. I think it's fair to say that Chuck neither cashed the cheque nor amended his will to incorporate this newfound projected wealth and bequeath it to Jimmy. Jimmy knows nothing about the 9 million.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have no idea how estates work, but if legally the 9 million is owed to someone, Hamlin isn't the type of guy to sweep it under the rug and hope nobody knows that it happened.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Chuck has way more drive than me I would have given up after like two holes

Well gently caress I dunno maybe the allergy is in my head

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Jimmy would definitely find out through the grapevine what happened in that board room. Could set up a battle between him and Howard over the money as an impotent way of dealing with their guilt.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

RedSpider posted:

So you're saying that films should now have a suicide hotline number appear before the credits if a character commits suicide?

Of course not! Your weird fantasy of "artistic integrity" and immersion are WAY more important than preventing suicides!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

Of course not! Your weird fantasy of "artistic integrity" and immersion are WAY more important than preventing suicides!

I also think it's good they left no ambiguity

Chuck hosed Chuck

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Jimmy would definitely find out through the grapevine what happened in that board room. Could set up a battle between him and Howard over the money as an impotent way of dealing with their guilt.
Is that the boardroom where only Howard and Chuck were present? What grapevine is this you speak of?

Maybe I'm being a bit obtuse, but whilst Howard already had the cheque written out to Chuck I would've assumed the show would make something more of it if the arrangement was cemented in stone. Granted he did say that Chuck would get paid in installments, which infers formality, but at the same time it was made clear in that scene that he was doing this out of his own personal funds, bypassing the company completely.

I can't conceive of a way that Jimmy would a) find out about the arrangement, b) benefit from it bearing in mind the circumstances and c) mishandle it in such a spectacular and credible way as to end up where he ends up being in Breaking Bad. Saul Goodman taking street dealer money whilst sitting on multi-millions?

Durzel fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 21, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe Chuck took the money to check into cash and set his house on fire with it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
do we know if chuck had a basement? he could have slipped down there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The tweet Michael McKean sent out after the show indicates that he is done with the series, so I really doubt it. Plus Chuck's arc is done.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The tweet Michael McKean sent out after the show indicates that he is done with the series, so I really doubt it. Plus Chuck's arc is done.

Well done.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Durzel posted:

Is that the boardroom where only Howard and Chuck were present? What grapevine is this you speak of?

Maybe I'm being a bit obtuse, but whilst Howard already had the cheque written out to Chuck I would've assumed the show would make something more of it if the arrangement was cemented in stone. Granted he did say that Chuck would get paid in installments, which infers formality, but at the same time it was made clear in that scene that he was doing this out of his own personal funds, bypassing the company completely.

I can't conceive of a way that Jimmy would a) find out about the arrangement, b) benefit from it bearing in mind the circumstances and c) mishandle it in such a spectacular and credible way as to end up where he ends up being in Breaking Bad. Saul Goodman taking street dealer money whilst sitting on multi-millions?

Huh Chuck was willing to sue us even though it would destroy our company, but in under 5 minutes Howard talked him out of it. He's one hell of a lawyer!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Uhhhh didn't Hamlin say that arrangement was stipulated as part of the buy-out agreement?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Durzel posted:

HHM is an LLP I think. There is a partnership agreement for an LLP. A partnership agreement is going to have a buyout clause in it for death or disability of a partner. (Which is what Howard was using to do the three installments).

Either way, the Executor is entitled to a copy of the partnership agreement. If HHM refuses to give the executor the partnership agreement, then the estate would seek an order from the court for HHM to produce it.

I don't however think Chuck wouldn't ever have put Jimmy as his executor. I wouldn't be surprised if Howard is the named executor in the will. Which could give Howard an interesting conflict of interest character arc on how he handles all this.

One thing Better Call Saul has been really good about is legal proceedings and Chuck's estate could give some good fodder for storylines. Maybe we can get an objection to the will from Jimmy and we can watch a montage of Jimmy doing legal research.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If Howard is the executor, that would be a good way to keep him on the show.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Durzel posted:

Jimmy did go over to house to check up on Chuck suggesting (to me) that he found out Chuck got let go and wanted to make sure he was okay. He probably doesn't know about the money/how much but I'm pretty sure Jimmy knows he got fired, and not on good terms. I don't think that gives much wiggle room for Jimmy to get the money but just something to keep in mind.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

God. I just finished the finale and I have to share my experience.

I have a teenage little brother who I love and care about more then anything else on this earth (we lost both parents when he was just 14).

Chuck and Jimmy have a similar life situation to my brother and I...so when Chuck said "The truth is you never really mattered that much to me." I broke down crying. I've never in my life been so upset by something I've seen on tv.

This might wind up in some goons.txt somewhere but I had to share my experience. God drat.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Fair points well made. I can't see Jimmy getting any/much of the money though for reasons that will involve Howard being back for Season 4 (yay!)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nude posted:

Jimmy did go over to house to check up on Chuck suggesting (to me) that he found out Chuck got let go and wanted to make sure he was okay. He probably doesn't know about the money/how much but I'm pretty sure Jimmy knows he got fired, and not on good terms. I don't think that gives much wiggle room for Jimmy to get the money but just something to keep in mind.
I'm 99% sure he didn't know about the buyout since it had just happened and he only went there because after Kim almost died he wanted to make sure Chuck was alright since he of course lives alone.

I wonder if any of the estate might go to the ex-wife.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think if he had a will (and he probably did), that it will all go to the wife. We may get to see a Jimmy vs Hamlin showdown with Jimmy helping his ex-sister in law get everything owed from HHM.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

God. I just finished the finale and I have to share my experience.

I have a teenage little brother who I love and care about more then anything else on this earth (we lost both parents when he was just 14).

Chuck and Jimmy have a similar life situation to my brother and I...so when Chuck said "The truth is you never really mattered that much to me." I broke down crying. I've never in my life been so upset by something I've seen on tv.

This might wind up in some goons.txt somewhere but I had to share my experience. God drat.

I have just the number for you to call

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I don't think Jimmy will get the money, but if they aren't gonna do a time skip it's definitely one thing that could force further conflict between the main players.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Was Mike in the finale at all? Mike is who I actually care about on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think if he had a will (and he probably did), that it will all go to the wife. We may get to see a Jimmy vs Hamlin showdown with Jimmy helping his ex-sister in law get everything owed from HHM.

I am not sure on New Mexico law, but under Georgia law, if someone leaves everything to their wife in their will and they subsequently get divorced, then the will treats the ex-wife as if she pre-deceased him. Since they had no children together, the statute that controls this says that whatever was left to the wife can't go to her heirs if the testator had no relation. Which would leave the only possible person to inherit as Jimmy.

Edit: I don't believe Jimmy is ever going to end up with a large chunk of money coming to him in the BCS timeline. He won't get part of Chuck's estate and I think Sandpiper is going to be going on throughout the BB timeline. We will hear about a resolution for the Sandpiper case in a black/white Gene Scene.

nerox fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 21, 2017

• Locked thread