Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Pity about Pulu, he can be so electric and I think the Chiefs needed that tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Tyma posted:

Marler is an absurdly stupid human

Even more so because he ignored the ball on the floor to take that cheap shot

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
This has been such a frustrating series to watch so far, the Lions defense has just been so smothering

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why isn't falling over and making everyone trip over you considered to be bringing down a maul?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why isn't falling over and making everyone trip over you considered to be bringing down a maul?

:shrug:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Gonna be a long night if the Chiefs can't fix their set piece

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Smorgasbord posted:

Gonna be a long night if the Chiefs can't fix their set piece

Yeah wow, I always thought we would struggle with missing players.

Hopefully the penalty count doesn't end up as one sided as the Maori game

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Good try - also appreciated hearing "advantage over" as soon as he scored.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can we just hang on to the loving ball please?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Dan Biggar seems genuinely confused about not being yellow carded.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chiefs seemed to have the better of the last 15 mins or so, settled down a little bit.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Still key for them to sort out their set pieces though. That kept them out of the game in the 1st half.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah no doubt about that

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Speaking of set piece - ooops

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Absolutely nothing illegal about what that Chief's player did there

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Such a frustrating game to watch

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Excited to see the fight that breaks out at Eden Park this Saturday

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

slothrop posted:

Such a frustrating game tour to watch

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm pleased that the Lions have been more competitive than had otherwise been predicted but it hasn't been pretty.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Finally a decent running try

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jesus. That set piece again. Nice running from the Lions

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
That's the best try I've seen in years.

Punctuated by a drunk Chiefs fan waving a giant 90s telephone around in the air.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Chiefs seem genuinely confused by the fact that Nowell and Tipuric are wearing the same hat.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
That's current technology thank-you-very-much. Also your standards are clearly not that high

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

slothrop posted:

Jesus. That set piece again. Nice running from the Lions

The Lions have been absolute cunts at the Line-out : Jostling, making dummy moves, and shouting over the top of the Chief's prop, so that he can't call out the play.

Stephen Donald asked the referee if it was even legal to play that far outside the spirit of the game, and he said it was, and that The Lions had asked him about it before the game.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Tyma posted:

The Lions have been absolute cunts at the Line-out : Jostling, making dummy moves, and shouting over the top of the Chief's prop, so that he can't call out the play.

Stephen Donald asked the referee if it was even legal to play that far outside the spirit of the game, and he said it was, and that The Lions had asked him about it before the game.

Saracens.txt

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Scotland legend Doddie Weir has been diagnosed with motor neuron disease. loving devastating news.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40340310

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

HappyCamperGL posted:

Scotland legend Doddie Weir has been diagnosed with motor neuron disease. loving devastating news.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40340310

I saw this earlier today. Gutted for him. :(

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

This is a legitimate question: have the Lions been offside for their defense or not? I'm so used to the Southern Hemisphere teams and where the gain line is for them, that I honestly don't know. Were they playing in the Super competition, they'd be pinged...

If they're not offside, are you northern people of the opinion that the rule needs to be modified to allow play to flow some? I'm at the point where I want that enforced and a second ref on field to monitor the defensive side, a la league.

(Quick dig: Your halfbacks are well off at the scrum, by the way. That rule is written in stone that they have to be behind the flanker's foot, which is not happening at all...)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

In the time honoured tradition of Ritchie McCaw offside is where the referee tells you it is and not an inch further back.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
To make the game flow we could maybe make the tackle area quicker by completely eliminating the ruck and just have the team in possession just be able to recycle the ball. Then we could move the offside line back to 10 metres to make it a more running game.

With these changes defences may be too organised so reducing the teams by two people.

Scrums are also a problems so we should also take two people out of the scrum to make it quicker

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

To make the game flow we could maybe make the tackle area quicker by completely eliminating the ruck and just have the team in possession just be able to recycle the ball. Then we could move the offside line back to 10 metres to make it a more running game.

With these changes defences may be too organised so reducing the teams by two people.

Scrums are also a problems so we should also take two people out of the scrum to make it quicker

... I'm not trying to make the game into league. However, having the defense line at least be behind the ruck instead of standing "parallel" to it (and they're not loving parallel... they're running up before the ball is cleared) would allow for some freedom, no?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

They 'feel' offside but none of the analysts, coaches, journos have been talking about it so maybe it's fine.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Careful now Kiwis, you're starting to sound like Australian Rugby fans, what with blaming the ref and all...

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

I'm going to be really embarrassed if we lose to Italy.
(I'm loving Stephen Moore not being captain)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

... I'm not trying to make the game into league. However, having the defense line at least be behind the ruck instead of standing "parallel" to it (and they're not loving parallel... they're running up before the ball is cleared) would allow for some freedom, no?

If your players don't have freedom around the field then your players are playing Union badly. You get the freedom because your forwards are doing their jobs properly. If you want "you get to score then we get to score" rugby then watch 7's, the 15 man version is about contests on all sections of the field, not just in who has the trickiest backs.

Total rugby not just 7's.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
If anyone's going to work out a way to exploit the rush defence it'll be Beauden Barrett and this All Black side. The Lions have been defending like demons but doing it in a Test against the best team in the world is a whole different game.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

J Savea dropped for first test, Ioane in

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Team is as follows:

1. Joe Moody
2. Codie Taylor
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read (Captain)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Rieko Ioane
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Ryan Crotty
14. Israel Dagg
15. Ben Smith

16. Nathan Harris
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden/Lima Sopoaga
23. Anton Lienert-Brown

Cruden has a niggly knee, and may sit this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
And the Lions are:

Starters: Liam Williams; Anthony Watson, Jonathan Davies, Ben Te’o, Elliot Daly; Owen Farrell, Conor Murray; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Tadhg Furlong; Alun Wyn Jones, George Kruis; Peter O’Mahony, Taulupe Faletau, Sean O’Brien

Replacements: Ken Owens, Jack McGrath, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Sam Warburton, Rhys Webb, Jonathan Sexton, Leigh Halfpenny