Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Save us Mia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

How did Mia Freedman not anticipate Roxeanne Gay fallout?

MIA FREEDMAN has always been a pretty woman with an enviably slim figure and, in her younger days, an enviably expensive wardrobe.

She calls a $12.5 million Bellevue Hill mansion home, raised her three children with the help of a roster of nannies and landed her first job in magazine publishing at age 19 via her impeccable social connections.

It would be fair to say that Freedman, at 45, has never known many of the struggles most Australian women know in the first half of their lives and has little in common with the average Australian woman, some of whom are the extreme opposite of Freedman and might even be described as poor, plain-looking and plump.

This is not Freedman’s fault.

Her parents were and are attractive, successful, slim and rich, like Mia.

But being born beautiful and privileged can make it tricky to run a business that targets people who are neither, as the one-time Cosmopolitan magazine editor discovered last week.

For starters it can make it hard to empathise with those who have lived less fortunate and privileged lives and this in turn can lead to unintentional cruelty.

Mean girl tendencies, some might call it.

In recent days Freedman has drawn widespread and international criticism for having insulted American writer Roxane Gay in a blurb promoting a podcast interview for Freedman’s Mamamia website.

Gay is a black American writer who has been at the forefront of Western debate on modern feminism since publishing a book on the subject, Bad Feminist, in 2014.

In the book Gay promotes her view that feminism should be “inclusive” — a credo Freedman echoed on her own website that same year.

In the insensitive blurb attached to a podcast and for which Freedman has since apologised, a Mamamia scribe listed the difficulties organising a studio interview with a “super morbidly obese” person.

Gay has previously used these words to describe herself.

“Will she fit into the office lift? Is there a comfortable chair that will accommodate her ... frame?” Freedman’s website wrote to tantalise prospective listeners.

As any woman or man carrying a few or indeed tens of extra kilos could well tell Freedman, these are not logistical considerations an overweight person would want to share with the general public — irrespective of whether a slimmer person might think them shocking or somehow newsworthy.

Gay, 42, reacted angrily to her 220,000 Twitter followers:
“I am appalled by Mamamia. It was a poo poo show. I can walk a f...ing mile,” she posted to Twitter on June 13.

She followed it up: “‘Can she fit into the lift?’ Shame on you Mamamia.”

Freedman or her rep last week deleted the blurb, edited the podcast, and apologised.

Meanwhile the podcast itself, though more considered, proved awkward with Freedman gushing
over her interview-fatigued idol.

Freedman: “Thank you for being here. Thank you just for being actually. I’m a huge fan.”

A nonplussed Gay, who said being interviewed “sucks” and is “just exhausting”, explained her low energy: “I’m interviewed out ... People ask very dumb questions and very insulting.”

Freedman: “I hope to not add to that.”

Gay: “We’ll see how it goes.”

Freedman: “What would insult you? Why don’t you just tell me now?”

Gay: “I’ll just point it out when it happens.”

While the podcast and resulting controversy, teed up as a promotion for Gay’s new book, Hunger, only exploded into public consciousness last week, it had been brewing since May 25 when Gay asked openly though cryptically on Twitter: “Am I supposed to be grateful you provided a sturdy chair?”

With the writer’s sensitivities pricked four weeks ago, one then has to ask how it was that Freedman hadn’t taken extra measures to ensure the interview with Gay wasn’t promoted more carefully and with due sensitivity to the subject matter?

She had a month to draft and consider that offensive blurb. How did a woman who built a business enticing internet clicks and considers herself such a fan of Gay’s not recognise the potential fallout?

As it happened, this item did, in fact, go viral.

Ugly equals clicks.

Freedman established her website off the back of her 2009 memoir entitled Mamamia — a book which had largely as its focus the author’s miscarriage while missing entirely her years long separation from her husband Jason Levigne.

She knew enough about her public image to have shed the expensive hairstyles and wardrobe she was once slave to.

She also knows that the best way forward to appease the women who patronise her web business is the grovelling and much publicised 16-paragraph apology to Gay that ultimately eventuated: “Reading Roxane’s book Hunger taught me so much and opened my eyes to what life can be like for her and other women of her size. Because they are so much more than that.”

They are, of course.

And like Gay, they are entitled to resent rich, slim and privileged women claiming the right to tell them so.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

ewe2 posted:

D&D, the shittiest thread.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How did Mia Freedman not anticipate Roxeanne Gay fallout?

This is a statement, not a challenge.

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
save us, eliezer

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/877490273881698306

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/wine_mum_/status/876954257169063936

https://twitter.com/wine_mum_/status/877127138104680448

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
lolololol

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/877448604356444160

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

get this slutshaming objectifying marginalising mansplaining trash outta here

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i legit read that as slutshaming objectifying marsupial trash

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ahhahahahahahahahahahaahahhahah Edgar Allan Hoe

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Zed the Exterminator is the better dressed one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Milky Moor posted:

No. I'm arguing against someone who implies that anyone who doesn't succeed at secondary education is a lazy idiot, like some weird educational variant of the bootstraps argument. What, do people think the average kid comes to the HSC or VCE or whatever with the skills, knowledge, and background they need to apply themselves to their learning?

I'm actually the one saying that kids who need help and attention are more than "kids that are autistic" and "kids that can't read". Because that latter category -- if expanded to kids who read below their expected level -- is huge. There're plenty of secondary school classrooms where Year 11 kids can't really read at an appropriate level, where they still need to sound words -- and these aren't poor schools by any metric. In 2013, a study found that 44% of Australians have such low levels of literacy that they have difficulty with daily tasks. That's huge!

What the gently caress are you talking about? He specifically said kids who are bright and apply themselves will do well regardless. Now sure that sounds loving obvious, but plenty of teachers spend a lot of time with these kids because they want them to reach their absolute potential and feel good about themselves when dealing with kids who want to learn. If a kid has to sound out words in year 11 then they're likely functionally illiterate and exactly the sort of kid Cartoon was talking about.

Essentially you're agreeing with him, unless you're saying your functionally illiterate kids should not have more attention than they do now, or somehow find the extra time for teachers to both have more time with those kids struggling with reading and the top achievers.

Of course the other problem is bright kids who get loving bored and don't apply themselves, but to my mind mediocrity is better than not being able to complete the work.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Agreed, friend.

Make fun of her fetish for dead old racist men and her shithouse writing, not her appearance.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

Agreed, friend.

Make fun of her fetish for dead old racist men and her shithouse writing, not her appearance.

don't kinkshame you piece of poo poo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Australian Taxation Office deputy commissioner Michael Cranston allegedly told his son how to avoid being prosecuted for tax fraud, saying he could "mount a good case" for his eldest child that may throw investigators off.

Mr Cranston, 57, is captured in phone intercepts allegedly suggesting that Adam Cranston should tell a judge that he is not "the real director" of the fraudulent scheme's parent company and canvassing the possibility his son may be pursued for "unexplained wealth".

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jonah Galtberg posted:

don't kinkshame you piece of poo poo

Uh, necrophilia is illegal, idiot. For all I know.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

thoughtcrime much??

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'd probably trust my dad if he was the head of the ATO too :/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Starshark posted:

Uh, necrophilia is illegal, idiot. For all I know.

So is smoking weed and marrying another dude you loving narc.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? He specifically said kids who are bright and apply themselves will do well regardless. Now sure that sounds loving obvious, but plenty of teachers spend a lot of time with these kids because they want them to reach their absolute potential and feel good about themselves when dealing with kids who want to learn. If a kid has to sound out words in year 11 then they're likely functionally illiterate and exactly the sort of kid Cartoon was talking about.

Essentially you're agreeing with him, unless you're saying your functionally illiterate kids should not have more attention than they do now, or somehow find the extra time for teachers to both have more time with those kids struggling with reading and the top achievers.

Of course the other problem is bright kids who get loving bored and don't apply themselves, but to my mind mediocrity is better than not being able to complete the work.

He also said the HSC isn't "all that loving hard" at the same time saying that kids who are "bright" will do well regardless. (Sure, it's not hard, to us looking back on it as adults but, y'know, hindsight and twenties...) All in all, this is contradictory rhetoric.

The implication, of course, is that anyone who doesn't do well is stupid. Because the HSC is easy.

For a lot of students, those exams aren't easy.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 21, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pretty sure you're looking for that implication. I read it quite the opposite. It's not that big a hurdle and the fact we don't give our teachers the resources and support to teach a large number kids to even that level is a major failing. Turning around and then blaming disadvantaged kids for holding back those already at the top is a hosed up response to this failing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cor blimey there's some salt in here today and no mistake.

Also who the gently caress is Daisy? Can someone summarise for me?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Endman posted:

Cor blimey there's some salt in here today and no mistake.

Also who the gently caress is Daisy? Can someone summarise for me?

Beautiful Daisy is an alt-right columnist/bloggery thing who occasionally writes erotic fan fiction about dead guys who in her fiction were already super old and had had strokes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dickhead senators should be separated from their peers for the good of everyone else, autistic children say.

In a statement to media, one child said it was simply common sense. “There are many senators who want to go ahead in leaps and bounds, but they’re being held back. They’re being held back simply by the fact that so much attention needs to be given to a few wankers who have an under-developed sense of reality”.

“Just think where our senators, where our political system would be if we didn’t have to pay special attention to some dickhead who puts a colon in the middle of his name because he thinks the government is using grammar to enslave its citizens”.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Nice summary of the three Muppets trying to use judges as political football [SMH]

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"But there's a potential upside. They would most likely be replaced by ministers with a clearer knowledge of the law who devoted attention to health, housing and Centrelink."

:drat:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Schlesische posted:

Beautiful Daisy is an alt-right columnist/bloggery thing who occasionally writes erotic fan fiction about dead guys who in her fiction were already super old and had had strokes.

:eyepop:

Endman
May 18, 2010

A shameful kink

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The greens are dumb idiot babies and managed to look like fuckups way better than I ever imagined

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...621-gww0k6.html

Too long to copy paste but an in depth article on Communist Chinese influence on the Liberal side pretty much just going head first in "both parties are being very tainted by foreign Chinese largesse and noney for positions".

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Coming up next or The Unsurprising Data Show.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Anyone got a run down on the split in the Greens over Gonski 2? As in who was on what side. Its turned out to be a political failure because of this fight that served no purpose.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

The greens are dumb idiot babies and managed to look like fuckups way better than I ever imagined

I'm not really sure why I'm still a member at this point

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Lid posted:

Anyone got a run down on the split in the Greens over Gonski 2? As in who was on what side. Its turned out to be a political failure because of this fight that served no purpose.

I don't think you understand, we're a mature adult party without factions, there is no split, everything is fine and happy in Greensland and oh god please don't give us any negative press coverage

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-21/pauline-hanson-under-fire-repulsive-bigoted-comments-autism/8640328

quote:

No evidence to support Senator Hanson's claims, disability advocate says

quote:

:siren:

quote:

:siren:

quote:

What do the experts think?

Let's hear what education expert Shiralee Poed from The University of Melbourne thinks about Senator Pauline Hanson's comments. Typically what we find is children with disabilities in mainstream classrooms are supported by teacher assistants. What we found is there's actually benefits to the other children in the room, where they go over concepts that perhaps they have missed so kids without disabilities have benefits from having children's with disabilities in the rooms. They have higher outcomes of literacy and numeracy because of the children in the room.

Yep I'm sure the one full of poo poo here.

gently caress you Milky Moor you smegma filled collostomy bag reject. And take Dancing Shade with you on your trip to the aerobic trench. Fascist apologists. Agreeing with Pauline Hanson should at least trigger something in that atrophied organ in your head that you are in need of a trip to the room of mirrors.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Endman posted:

I'm not really sure why I'm still a member at this point

Because the communist party of Australia ain't getting elected anytime soon :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Greens aren't forming govt so you should probably just vote LNP.

• Locked thread