Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

Oh yeah I remembered this thread Waroduce, you asked me how I dragged the US into the top 10 in the world with mostly (I think I subbed in one regen in the entire cup) existing USA players, with the recent qualifiers I decided to finish my game out. The 2022 Cup was relocated to Canada, so it was like having home field advantage the whole tourney.

Here is the state of the team when I took over, Jurgen & Marsch squandered a decent side that I had to build back up around Pulisic, the first world class American.

Annoying things before the tourney, veteran guys like Fabian Johnson, Alfredo Morales & Danny Williams all were injured, With Fabian being out for 6 months right before the tourney with knee tendonitis, that murdered his pace & accelerations... and got him cut from his DP deal with the LA Galaxy. I got him to come back and postpone retirement for one last ride, which was annoying because my formation needed wing backs and Fabian was my go to guy, and the backups like Greg Garza weren't great.

Anyway here was my "default" tactics, Pulisic & Hyndman are both play makers in the EPL so I felt in good stead for creativity. Brooks & CCV are both starting centerbacks in the EPL as well.

I would generally switch things up, and put in winger's if they were clogging the center up top if I needed in attack, or if it was against teams that ran multiple forwards I would push Pulisic up as a False 9 and then add another center back and run a 5-3-2

My roster with player clubs looked like this note the presence of only 1 unattached fc player! Also Michael Bradley has been playing in the Middle East since captaining the USA to failure 2018 (lol)

Tourney Breakdown

Drawn into a Group of Death as natural for the USA, except this time it wasn't exaggerating. I barely missed out on being a 1 pot seed, losing out to

England (6)
USA(8)
Uruguay(11)
Ukraine (22)

I beat Uruguay & Ukraine (3-1) and held England to a 0-0 draw, although they won the group on goal differential.

In the Round of 16 I was drawn against Germany , who I thrashed 3-0 on the backs of Julian Green turning out to be good?

Quarterfinals I was drawn against France, which was nerve wracking and an awful game.

Semi's vs Portugal lead by the rotting corpse of Cristiano Ronaldo who at 37 was about to win his 200th Cap in the World Cup final :lol: he ended up earning it in the 3rd Place Game. This game went to PK's because they scored a loving goal off a corner in the 92nd minute to tie the game. Bill Hamid in goal was a loving boss who blocked a pair of PK's to win the shootout, despite having never left the MLS which is in itself funny, but more awesome is tthe fact he has a awesome jump reach and 20 strength so he can boss people in the box (usually).

Finals vs Brazil... Big Dick Bobby Wood scored a brace, while the Brazilians ran a 3 forward lineup that ran into a brick wall of John Anthony Brooks and CCV, honestly compared to Portugal this game was loving easy.

Despite being ranked at #8 coming into the tourney, was considered a massive underdog in every match... even Ukraine was Favorited to beat me., which is a little fair considering that my team had one world class player in Pulisic, whereas France/Brazil/England etc. all had world class guys on their loving bench.

You would think that meant I just played bunker and counter, but honestly my team was pretty good with alot of guys starting in top leagues so I had a broad base of competent if not world class guys which meant I could "play" with the big teams, just I didn't have as many lethal pieces so we had to play structured and disciplined.

2022 Best XI

Brooks was a monster and that was well deserved... Cannouse is odd he was a backup d-mid at loving Chievo and was only brought in because Danny Williams and Alfredo Morales were hurt... and even then was still backing up Bradley. However due to cards & injuries ended up starting half my games and scored 2 goals and 2 assists and getting into the best XI. Green also had a hilarious game against Germany where he scored 2 goals and an assist, then did nothing all tourney. Greens career is pretty bad he ended up in MLS and as the Sounders Coach I picked him up and he couldn't beat out Kelyn Rowe in my lineup and I cut him... I guess he just shows up for World Cups. Bill Hamid was robbed though he bossed this world cup despite playing in MLS his whole career, he was better rated than Lopes and made a poo poo ton more saves in the semi-finals including the aforementioned blocking a pair of PK's in the shootout to win. Yedlin was also very good and his pace (19) was dangerous, he racked up four assists to lead the team in this tournament and was a huge overlap threat.

So in the end I was a wildly successful MLS manager who jumped into journeymen management in Europe (terrible stints for mid table Serie B, Allskaven and Eredivise Clubs) and now am head coach of Pescara, where I will probably battle relegation, with a bunch of pretty bad players that don't fit my playstyle. I am really tempted to retire despite winning a World Cup, no big club wants to hire me probably because since leaving MLS my best coaching stint is probably my 12th place finish with Sparta Rotterdam.

This post is both cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also my crappy club career is going well... I guess somehow I keep failing upwards. I got fired from Pescara after a couple months then jumped to a different Serie A relegation battler in Atalanta, which had a decent number of actually good players, but in the AI being dumb instead of running a 3-5-2 or 4-3-1-2 which could actually take advantage of them they were stuck in a bad 4-4-2.

Took them to 12th place from 19th and this season after a couple transfer windows I am sitting in 4th playing thug ball 4-3-1-2

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 11, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Waroduce posted:

A crazy person did a thing - from Reddit

I hate everything about this

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I always take Aberdeen and manage to win the SPFL within two seasons, and invariably every big club from Real to Bayern and everything in between starts offering me jobs. Ok I guess I was good at signing cheap eastern europeans who can beat the likes of the mighty Gary Mackay-Steven and Craig Gordon but eh. Just gently caress off and let me enjoy budget micromanagement.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

gently caress off and let me enjoy budget micromanagement.

New thread title please

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Coohoolin posted:

I always take Aberdeen and manage to win the SPFL within two seasons, and invariably every big club from Real to Bayern and everything in between starts offering me jobs. Ok I guess I was good at signing cheap eastern europeans who can beat the likes of the mighty Gary Mackay-Steven and Craig Gordon but eh. Just gently caress off and let me enjoy budget micromanagement.

I would literally pay full price for a new version just for data updates and a "reject all job interview requests/offers" setting. Just let me be the MLS version of Alex Ferguson in peace plzkthx.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Waroduce posted:

A crazy person did a thing - from Reddit

These are the ramblings of a mental patient.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Did FM17 just come out or 18 will be out in like 2 months?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Waroduce posted:

Did FM17 just come out or 18 will be out in like 2 months?

18 will be out soon. It's always the year before.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I caved and popped for FM17 at the steam sale (my fm16 save was getting wonky). The in-game editor is really tempting though and it might detract from the gameplay... What happened to the separate editor that would let me tweak youth ratings and poo poo beforehand and then just play?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think you can still download the db editor through steam as a separate thing

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It's in the software section I think

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's under Tools.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My team just hit the woodwork 6 times in one match.
Thankfully it was a friendly match. I'm hoping that's the bad luck out of the way for a while.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Not the most tempting offer I've ever seen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Despite playing FM games off-and-on since 2009 and only being an extremely casual follower of football itself, I've never once gotten a team promoted to a higher league in this game, until this weekend. In FM16, I just took Boston Utd up to Bananarama National by winning the playoffs :toot:

So like... what should I be doing between seasons? I've secured new contracts for most of the players that I'd like to keep (though my star striker with the second-most goals in the league last season decides he has no interest in even talking to me about a contract because he's too good for that), and I've retained effective staff. The board increased my wage budget from 160k to like 450k after winning promotion, so I assume I should be using the 4-6 week break to:

-Get my scouting team to scour the country for quality players that belong at this level of football
-Sign those players ASAP

But beyond that I'm not really sure how I should be best spending the time between seasons. My goals this season are "don't get relegated" and "don't get fired". Long-term goals would be to get the board to change us from Semi-Pro to Pro, and get into league football. My tactics last season were pretty much dictated completely by the players that I had on-hand, switching back and forth between two super basic 4-4-2 tactics (one control, one counter) with positions defined by what players were good at doing.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 3, 2017

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sounds about right. Just try to stabilize first.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, by and large the goals after winning relegation in any league lower than the Premier League, unless you're a skilled player, should be:

Season 1: Survive, aim for mid-table
Season 2: Challenge for Promotion

Premier League is more like:

Season 1: Survive at all costs.
Season 2: Mid-table
Season 3: European challenge.
Season 4: Title

If you're really good you can cut steps out, obviously. But unless you know exactly what you're doing successive promotions can be dangerous: there isn't much difference between the lowest levels of the playable England pyramid, so it's entirely possible to do that. But then some of your players won't be good enough by several levels rather than just one.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sky Shadowing posted:

But unless you know exactly what you're doing successive promotions can be dangerous

Yup, I know very little of what I'm actually doing. My tactics are incredibly simple and designed by someone who doesn't know anything about football theory (me), and I'm pretty sure I won that first season in the VNN by virtue of team cohesion and playing very basic football alone. I don't imagine that strategy is going to work out for me much longer, but I also know absolutely dick about designing tactics that are anything but bare-basics.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I haven't gone as lower league as you but I did a Lincoln save through to the Prem. One bit of advice I can give is to not get attached to your players. I went through an incredibly high amount of turnover and nearly everybody was on a single year contract, I have one player who made it into the Prem from when I started in the National league. Your wage budget sounds really high so I would sign a large amount of players on short, cheap contracts due to the amount of games played in lower leagues, if your signings are decent too I'd also try and concentrate on Cup runs too since they give you large gate revenue.

Also if you can find a decent senior affiliate you can basically cheese promotion until the Championship with unpaid loans

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 3, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Yup, I know very little of what I'm actually doing. My tactics are incredibly simple and designed by someone who doesn't know anything about football theory (me), and I'm pretty sure I won that first season in the VNN by virtue of team cohesion and playing very basic football alone. I don't imagine that strategy is going to work out for me much longer, but I also know absolutely dick about designing tactics that are anything but bare-basics.

At that low level where all your players suck you want to keep your tactics incredibly simple anyway. Drilling your team to do a basic tactic well will do way, way better basically anywhere below the Championship or Premier League, rather than trying to be Barcelona with a bunch of Sunday League cloggers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

At that low level where all your players suck you want to keep your tactics incredibly simple anyway.

Do you mean simple like lots of specific instructions to play one uncomplicated way, or simple as in don't click too many buttons and have your idiot players making up their own retarded minds?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

Do you mean simple like lots of specific instructions to play one uncomplicated way, or simple as in don't click too many buttons and have your idiot players making up their own retarded minds?

Go Route One

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Anything that takes decision-making out of the heads of your dumb Sunday League players with Decisions 4 is good. So the former I imagine.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'd imagine a rigid formation with low creativity and perhaps just one creative midfielder

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Hard tackling is really good in this game, at least for my 2043 dutch superteam. I'd always set it to ease off or normal before and figured that with high closing down my team would still harry opponents into mistakes without getting tons of cards, but it never really seemed to work that way. Once I finally decided to trying get stuck in, suddenly my players were swarming opponents in midfield, winning the ball back and initiating counters off the press like I always dreamed they would. It seems like having higher tackling increases the amount of tackling they'll attempt, whereas I always figured it'd just increase the violence of the tackles they did attempt and who wants that. Against weak teams I now end up with like 60% possession and no shots on target against

Hard tackling: because they don't like it up em

As part of my hard man renaissance I made the 2043 CL final against Marseille and a 72 year old pep guardiola, and this beautiful goal happened with me being down 2-1 in extra time to send it to penalties(naturally keyed by a tackle): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxiSkbyMOs
My gk went on to save 3 of 3 penalties in the shootout after saving 1 of 2 in normal time, still only a 7.3 rating :confused:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
One of my centrebacks made 4 big mistakes in a game but was still man of the match because he made 43 interceptions.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

43 interceptions.

What the gently caress.

What do you play him as? Position and instructions?

Post him wanna see his mentals

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

What the gently caress.

What do you play him as? Position and instructions?

Post him wanna see his mentals

It was just Jordi Amat playing centreback against Big Sam's Palace.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 5, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's something very satisfying about watching Bayern poo poo the bed in real-time.
Not least because it stopped them wrecking my title bid:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just got beat 6-0 by Everton and Fabianski is going to refund all the fans the cost of their tickets. What a lovely guy.

I hope no one else figures out their way around my 4-4-2 I'd really like to qualify for Europe this season.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Won the EFL cup and now have nothing to play for from March onwards.

Who designed this stupid league?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

Won the EFL cup and now have nothing to play for from March onwards.

Who designed this stupid league?

Remember, points mean prizes!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
2 points from my last 6 games with only United away left to play. Dropped from 5th to 10th. Send help.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Your squad are literally on the beach, RIP

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Arsenal win the league beating United on goal difference.

I lost 3-1 but know I made an important difference (doubly after injuring Ozil for the season a few games earlier).

Finished 9th, matching Garry Monk's record points total and Laudrup's record trophies total. Hopefully next season is better for me than their follow ups.

The 4-4-2 is a powerful formation but I might go with a 3-5-2 with a regista next.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OCjdBr4O2c

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Looking for a little friendly advice:

I'm a 30+ year soccer fan, but in Canada, there's precious little to cheer for, barring our occasional flub into CONCACAF.

Loved 2015, but had to migrate computers and couldn't salvage my 1000+ hour save file.

Should I wait for the 2018 version, or get 2017 next time it goes on sale?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
17 is a perfectly good game. I would buy it now instead of waiting for 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
17 is objectively better.