Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Wholesome Friends Comix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh man, I'll miss Tina's Groove, definitely one of the better strips in the thread.

Johnny Walker posted:

This is my take on it. We complain about zombie strips in here all the time, but at one point those strips were popular, funny, and relevant (or at least I assume they were), and their creators/syndicates and fans refused to just let them go when they were well past their prime. I say good for Rina for taking this step.

True, true. Although for every Nancy that used to be good, there's a Piranha Club or Funky Winkerbean that was always bad.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Johnny Walker posted:

This is my take on it. We complain about zombie strips in here all the time, but at one point those strips were popular, funny, and relevant (or at least I assume they were), and their creators/syndicates and fans refused to just let them go when they were well past their prime. I say good for Rina for taking this step.

Get Fuzzy should have ended a years ago, for example.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm glad to see Piccolo moving on to something she loves, but Rhymes With Orange definitely feels like a weaker strip, at least so far. I'm sure it can and will grow but this really feels like a big step down.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Countblanc posted:

I'm glad to see Piccolo moving on to something she loves, but Rhymes With Orange definitely feels like a weaker strip, at least so far. I'm sure it can and will grow but this really feels like a big step down.

If you read her going away message, she has a weirdly strong love of one-panel strips. This is literally her dream come true.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Pearls Before Swine should've been smothered in the crib

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I like her art and that Luis Guzman cook

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

Calaveron posted:

I remember how much I liked both of these when they started. I haven't read Get Fuzzy in years, and I just scroll past Pearls because it's so tediously smug.

Ugh do I even like newspaper comics?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Calaveron posted:

I remember liking Pearls as a teenager, but it's definitely outlived Pastis' creativity. I don't remember every other strip being a "heh heh, I sure make terrible puns, amirite?" punchline back in the late 00s, for instance.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

dismas posted:

Ugh do I even like newspaper comics?

Yah. Everyone does.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Aleph Null posted:

It kind of ended already. The strip has only been running repeats of the daily strips since 2013.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Get Fuzzy is almost entirely reruns now, right, except the occasional Sunday? That's what Wikipedia says anyways. It doesn't get posted here much and I don't seek it out.

Pearls was my favorite strip for a while but I have not particularly liked it in a long time.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aardmania posted:

It kind of ended already. The strip has only been running repeats of the daily strips since 2013.

lol - I guess I abandoned it at the right time, then. I didn't know it was dead. I hope Darby has moved on to better things. I retract my statement. Good on him for getting out when the strip got stale.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Frankly I'm amazed that one single-panel strip can support two people.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Haifisch posted:

I remember liking Pearls as a teenager, but it's definitely outlived Pastis' creativity. I don't remember every other strip being a "heh heh, I sure make terrible puns, amirite?" punchline back in the late 00s, for instance.

I remember it being like an occasional sunday strip joke, where the added length of the comic gave more panels to build the ridiculous pun. And because they didn't come up all the time, and because of how much more panels had to go into building up the reveal, it felt more like a clever riddle than a groan-worthy punchline.

I've always loved Rhymes with Orange, and I'm happy for Rina Piccolo that she gets to do something she's always wanted to do. Tina's Groove was really a cool little comic, and good on her for not wringing the life out of it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm not a huge fan of Rhymes With Orange, but I like it when Rina guests, so.... I'll keep an open mind?

B.C.

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Baby Blues

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

zippy-doo :allears:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

I've always loved Rhymes with Orange, and I'm happy for Rina Piccolo that she gets to do something she's always wanted to do. Tina's Groove was really a cool little comic, and good on her for not wringing the life out of it.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Rhymes is good, Rina is good, and if she can make a living focusing on a single, collaborative, single-panel strip, then good for her, and we have some really good comics to look forward to. Tina's Groove was pretty often a single-panel anyway; I'll miss the characters and the setting, but I trust her to end it in such a way (like we recently saw thread-favorite Chief Dharma get a great ending) that's true to her art and the people who enjoyed it. And yeah, reposts from the beginning - whoever feels like picking that up - of Tina's Groove Classic would be a welcome addition here, for sure.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Calaveron posted:

13 years? It's only been posted in these threads for like 2 iterations of it, no?

it's been getting posted here since at least 2012, so we've had it around for a good while. I'm definitely going to miss it though.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Not to slice it up too fine but perhaps Tina's Groove is done being a syndicated comic for now but Rina Piccolo retains rights.

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"

:smith:
If I had talent I'd put more thread fitting characters outside

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 21-22, 1930)

And now, a legendary day in Peanuts history...and the day after. (June 22-23, 1970)

Not-So-Mopey-Anymore Pete And Boy Lisa Go To The Flash Museum

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 18-19, 1930)

Thimble Theater (January 7-8, 1931)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I'd imagine that The Flash Museum is under constant renovation to keep up with it titular hero's time travel shenanigans.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

In the original he's speaking in English rather than nautical terms.

Mother From Another Country

In the original he's referred to as "old-looking school friend" but I really like "The Moustache" name he got in the last comic so I'm looking for excuses to work it in there.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I could only imagine what some of those suggestions would be if the comments section wasn't disabled.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

My eyes normally glaze over at Piranha Club, but jesus these Korean strips have been a special kind of lovely.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I know these strips were probably written like two months ago but it still seems like a special kind of bad taste to be running these strips when an American citizen was just basically murdered by the North Korean regime for a trivial "crime." I wonder how many newspapers are doing reruns or other strips during all this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I could only imagine what some of those suggestions would be if the comments section wasn't disabled.
"You could get off the line so I can help someone who actually needs my help."

The Classic Dinette Set experiences culture shock.

Working Daze once again forgets to tell a joke.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has pacing issues.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Prince Valiant

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Uhm... Spidey? He's no really an armadillo. And you're not really a spider.

Sally Forth

No worries. They'll simmer down pretty quick once you reach The Wastelands of No Scenery.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

Lucky Cow

Spirit of the Staircase

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Back to BC

Random Acts of Nancy

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Please take a moment to observe Gwen's arms in panel 2, and blonde girl's complete lack of body langauge to go with her face and speech.

And a quick skin tone swap will show you she suffers from severe Gwenface.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Wait do some dishwashers actually use a hot water connection instead of just heating the water itself? Mine isn't even hooked to the hot water pipe, it heats the water itself as it runs. I was going to brag mine is better but I'm not sure what's more efficient now that I think about it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I always assumed most of them worked that way? I've at least had one that worked a lot better when you drew hot water to the kitchen sink first(apartment with hot water that was very, very slow to actually get hot).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Didn't she say just the other day that it wasn't ending? :confused:

goatface posted:

Frankly I'm amazed that one single-panel strip can support two people.
Along with her saying she doesn't have time to do both, I'm wondering if she actually has a regular job on top of cartooning? Like, how much does writing a syndicated comic pay and how much time can it really take?

Tambaloneus posted:

Wait do some dishwashers actually use a hot water connection instead of just heating the water itself? Mine isn't even hooked to the hot water pipe, it heats the water itself as it runs. I was going to brag mine is better but I'm not sure what's more efficient now that I think about it.
It wouldn't necessarily have to use hot water to stop you taking a shower. My washing machine only connects to the cold water but it stops and starts so much that the shower temperature fluctuates annoyingly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

Didn't she say just the other day that it wasn't ending? :confused:
Yeah, she did.

https://twitter.com/RinaPiccolo/status/877334015870685184

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 23, 1995)

Garfield Classic (June 23, 1985)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
So, bets on Intelligent Life- think it's going to be her sitting there for 2 weeks as the guy is a no-show? Or she thinks he's a no show, and leaves, only to do a reveal that it's Skip?

Kinda disappointed about the Barry fakeout, and even more disappointed with myself for being in any way non-ironically invested in this strip.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

So, bets on Intelligent Life- think it's going to be her sitting there for 2 weeks as the guy is a no-show? Or she thinks he's a no show, and leaves, only to do a reveal that it's Skip?
I think this is the safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon