Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Star Man posted:

My nostalgia for a game I didn't start playing until a month before Shards of Alara came out was ruined, god drat it!

Hey I have been playing since 1993.. nah I still don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

suicidesteve posted:

I killed an Aetherling with Dismember 2 games in a row.

In legacy. A few weeks ago.

Please tell me you paid black mana for both phyrexian mana costs instead of the life.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol at anyone that plays Aetherling without the mana to phase it out to dodge removal.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Star Man posted:

lol at anyone that plays Aetherling without the mana to phase it out to dodge removal.

Mezzanon posted:

Aetherling is probably the best 9 mana creature every printed

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Exactly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Does anyone have a link to the story about Paul Rietzl attacking into Jon Finkel's Aetherling while Finkel was tapped out, Finkel just looking at Paul and saying that he thinks Paul has nothing but doesn't block anyway, and then Rietzl just throwing his hand down and saying, "I have NOTHING."? I think Owen told it on an episode of Limited Resources at one point, among other places.

A big flaming stink posted:

isn't that Alchemist's Refuge?

MTGO is a quality program. I didn't have art on Augur all night, my own or my opponents, except one time when it was on the stack it had the Doom Blade art.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Does anyone have a link to the story about Paul Rietzl attacking into Jon Finkel's Aetherling while Finkel was tapped out, Finkel just looking at Paul and saying that he thinks Paul has nothing but doesn't block anyway, and then Rietzl just throwing his hand down and saying, "I have NOTHING."? I think Owen told it on an episode of Limited Resources at one point, among other places.

MTGO is a quality program. I didn't have art on Augur all night, my own or my opponents, except one time when it was on the stack it had the Doom Blade art.

I've heard that story, when someone was talking about the value of a bluff, because Finkel was at 20 life (or some high life total) and it was something meaningless like a 2 power creature so why bother he was going to win anyway, and after getting through his 'bluff' Rietzl throws down his hand of all lands and instantly conceded.

The 'I make a million more cats' Finkel story was one of my favorites. He's hysterical and also does incredible limited commentary if anyone was watching tonight.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 21, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Marketing New Brain posted:

The 'I make a million more cats' Finkel story was one of my favorites. He's hysterical and also does incredible limited commentary if anyone was watching tonight.

Any more information on this? Difficult to find

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Smashing Link posted:

ReclaimIng Dominaria from slivers could actually be a cool Alienesque storyline.

Vehicles make a comeback in the form of mecha-suits

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

myDad posted:

Any more information on this? Difficult to find

It was in the pro tour AER testing I guess, where they were trying to figure out if they were going to play Saheeli Combo.

Apparently Finkel went to combo off in his second main phase, not realizing it until too late, but hoping to just get a concession. His opponent (I forget who) rather than just say out loud "you are in your second main" instead, after Jon combo'd and made a bunch of cats, just said, "and then what?" playing dumb. So Jon, who can't declare attackers in his second main phase, just starts going, louder "I make a Million, BILLION more cats" "what then"(even louder) "I make a TRILLION more cats" "what then" and this goes on for so long the rest of the testing stops and everyone starts watching as he keeps thinking up higher and higher numbers, before finally just saying, "I pass your turn".

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

That's a pretty absurd four mana bomb in limited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

This is dumb in limited.

Like you take a decent board, draw 2, opponent discards 2, probably make a fairly decent trade when your opponent is forced to double block.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 21, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

jfc

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Who the hell decided this was okay

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
With exert there are a lot of situations where you won't have profitable blocks, it might even end up as strong as Prepare//Fight turned out to be.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Should we be concerned about the Solemnity/Thing in the Ice combo? It seems incredibly degenerate and blue can make it almost impossible to interact with and is good at assembling what it needs.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should we be concerned about the Solemnity/Thing in the Ice combo? It seems incredibly degenerate and blue can make it almost impossible to interact with and is good at assembling what it needs.

With four specific cards (turn 3 Solemnity, turn 4 Thing in the Ice, Expedite, hold up Dispel), three-color decks can get a flipped Thing in the Ice on turn four and protect it once, the same turn the previous attempts at all-in Thing in the Ice decks could flip it. Nah, I'm not that concerned.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/valimarmtg/status/877490277228982273

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
It's the Sphinx lord we've always needed!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Please dear god like UW Sphinx Control be a thing

Gearhulk being an honorary Sphinx.

PS also reprint Sphinx's Rev in Standard thx

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That is a really solid card even on its own

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I don't know wtf a Criosphinx is, but I like it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A ram-headed sphinx.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
New split card:

Exclusive to ars technica.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Tortilla Maker posted:

New split card:

Exclusive to ars technica.

Better take it down before they get mad!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

I thought that was like a Portuguese language preview at first

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Here is a real card that is real.

Checks out. My uncle works at Wizards.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

So this is basically "hatecards: the set"?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

So this is basically "hatecards: the set"?

That card is not real.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BizarroAzrael posted:

"IT'S CONTROLLER"

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/877527105067765760

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Please tell me you paid black mana for both phyrexian mana costs instead of the life.

My deck can't even make black mana outside of Cavern of Souls. The first time he had to tap out on his turn 6 or he was dead and the second time I had a Revoker.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BizarroAzrael posted:

it's

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Would Bolas be vulnerable to all the relevant 1 mana destroy target colored PW spells?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Would Bolas be vulnerable to all the relevant 1 mana destroy target colored PW spells?

Yes.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The Hour of Glory. Next: Hour of Promise, Hour of Eternity and Hour of Devastation.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 21, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the first Standard SCG Invitational since Marvel ban is 7/8 for top eight G/B lists.

Edit: Correction this tournament was 6/17, and I believe ban was official 6/19.
Still looks like G/B may be the new king though.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 21, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DangerDongs posted:

So the first Standard SCG Invitational since Marvel ban is 7/8 for top eight G/B lists.

Yeah that's pretty hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Yeah that's pretty hosed up.

I think Temur Energy can compete with the deck. They have a hard time with Whirler Virtuoso, and confiscation coup is a haymaker against them.