Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Is this really okay though? The parts suggested to be trimmed are actually leaves, not branches. There's actually only seven leaves total on that plant, and I'm worried about how well the plant will respond to having half of its leaves cut. I might recommend trying out one snip first to see how the plant reacts to having the leaves cut in half before proceeding with the rest since the styling advice is solid though.

Yeah that's what I recommended in my first edit, because I'm not really sure if it's ok to cut half the leaf off.

Actually with some further googling apparently pruning a jacaranda will make it put up vertical shoots, which isn't what you want. Bah, it seems like a lot of typical bonsai advice doesn't apply to jacarandas, so I'm going to shut the hell up :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

drat, I'm already committed to going to a house warming party after we do the cat adoption day thing.

looks like we're going after all! My wife says we'll go to the housewarming later.

Oh and hey Kenning, that guy we were talking about is gonna be there selling some plants along with his son

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh cool! Well hopefully we can all connect and say hi. I'm looking forward to the show, it's gonna be really fun.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah that's what I recommended in my first edit, because I'm not really sure if it's ok to cut half the leaf off.

Actually with some further googling apparently pruning a jacaranda will make it put up vertical shoots, which isn't what you want. Bah, it seems like a lot of typical bonsai advice doesn't apply to jacarandas, so I'm going to shut the hell up :)

No worries, you were all in good faith. :)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey succulent fans, can you identify some plants for me?

Is it normal for those ones that grow into towers to do a 180, and start growing downwards like that?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Looks like a ton of sedum, with a hen and chicks in the second picture on their right.

Seriously though, "sedum" is a huge genus.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kenning posted:

I know we have some Bay Area plant goons in here, so I figured I'd rep the BACPS show this weekend.

It's going to be a very good show! I'll be selling plants, and also doing a presentation on "Carnivorous Plants As House Plants". If you're free on Saturday between noon and 6 pm come by the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland, it'll be a Hoot. If you're a goon you can say some goony thing to me and I'll get you our best plants. I'll be the tall guy at the Predatory Plants booth.

That is such a cool poster and I'm so bummed I'm not around for that. Damnittttt

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Crosspost from A/T: Is there any way to keep the grass on your lawn from growing?

Wait, do you want to keep grass from growing in your yard or do you want to keep the grass in your yard from growing?

Plant Growth Regulators are apparently the "pro" way of doing the latter.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Kenning posted:

I know we have some Bay Area plant goons in here, so I figured I'd rep the BACPS show this weekend.

It's going to be a very good show! I'll be selling plants, and also doing a presentation on "Carnivorous Plants As House Plants". If you're free on Saturday between noon and 6 pm come by the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland, it'll be a Hoot. If you're a goon you can say some goony thing to me and I'll get you our best plants. I'll be the tall guy at the Predatory Plants booth.

Agreeing that your poster is fantastic, and I'm super sad I didn't check the thread earlier, because I would've loved to have gone to that event. :( At least I'll be able to go to the San Francisco Succulent & Cactus Society annual show and sale this weekend.

Also there's gross fuzzy white poo poo (with weird tiny balls in it) growing in the dirt of my zebra haworthia and gasteria(?) again. :barf: I've had it before in a couple succulent pots a year or two ago, but I've completely forgotten what I did to get rid of it last time. Dug up the visible stuff and hosed the roots with neem oil? Just tossed the poor plants out? Who knows!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well this monday I planted an oak sapling I'd grown from an acorn. Hope it'll make it, Finland's on the border, but I got it from a lot of yuuge oaks 100km further north of me.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

there's like white fly and red aphids on the tomato plant my dad started from seed for me and soap + water doesn't seem to be helping much :mad: no I can't afford $5 for insecticidal soap

the plant itself, in a 5 gallon bucket, looks better than the ones my dad planted in their garden though. but it's just covered in bugs. I hate bugs

Hubis
May 18, 2003

The Snoo posted:

there's like white fly and red aphids on the tomato plant my dad started from seed for me and soap + water doesn't seem to be helping much :mad: no I can't afford $5 for insecticidal soap

the plant itself, in a 5 gallon bucket, looks better than the ones my dad planted in their garden though. but it's just covered in bugs. I hate bugs

Spray it with water?

E: assume you can afford the water

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Hubis posted:

Spray it with water?

E: assume you can afford the water

I've been using a spray bottle with water + a couple drops of soap, unless you mean using a hose, which I don't have because it's an apartment :v:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey, if all else fails just mash the things. They can't run.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

The Snoo posted:

I've been using a spray bottle with water + a couple drops of soap, unless you mean using a hose, which I don't have because it's an apartment :v:

Yeah, I meant higher pressure (knock the sucker loose). If you've got an adjustable nozzle on the spray bottle you could try tuning it for a strong stream, but that's going to get old real quick.

Anyways don't use household soap instead of insecticidal soap -- it isn't the same thing, doesn't work, and can do harm to the plants. If you can't afford :10bux: / 2 then your best bet is to prune the affected stems (if possible) and/or remove them mechanically either by hand or with high pressure water and/or pray that some ladybug gets lost and lands on your porch.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hey, if all else fails just mash the things. They can't run.
Assuming it's just one or two small plants, this is honestly a super-effective way to get rid of aphids.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well this monday I planted an oak sapling I'd grown from an acorn. Hope it'll make it, Finland's on the border, but I got it from a lot of yuuge oaks 100km further north of me.

If you have any large grazers in your area you may want to give it some protection. Deer in my region strip young oaks regularly.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kedo posted:

If you have any large grazers in your area you may want to give it some protection. Deer in my region strip young oaks regularly.

I tried to plant a dogwood sapling only 12" high in my dad's pasture. His colt stepped on it. He didn't even eat it, but I know it was him and not one of his other horses because there were only little horse footprints all around it.

That being said, deer have stripped other young trees there and in his mini orchard. He ended up throwing one of his custom tomato cages over them that are made from a 6 foot tall circle of concrete mesh. Now he forgets to water them.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 10, 2017

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Looking for some advice on tree topping. Looking at topping these small firs at about 10' so I can still have live roots to hold the hillside and hang my hammock on.

Think they will live being chopped so low? I don't think they're more than 25 feet tall.

Also I hope to start posting more. Bought a house last year and have slowly been turning an otherwise bare hillside into a vegetable garden and chill space. Here's some terrible pictures.

So far I've managed to source all my plants from friends, closing plant stores and discounted plants left for dead. That, reclaimed cedar from a deck tear down and 6 yards of topsoil have only put me out a couple hundred dollars. Pretty stoked!

Little worried about that black walnut tree at the far end. It's growing like crazy and from what I understand it's roots emit a chemical or something that makes other root systems stay away. I'll probably replant it or keep it heavily pruned.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

kedo posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to, the bigger animals usually keep out like Moose and deer, mostly worried about the hares. But life gets in the way. Some of the leafs are going yellowish now too, I dunno if it's just not getting enough water (been watering though and we've had rain on and off) , of if it lacks some particular nutrient or PH levels or what.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Mcqueen posted:

Looking for some advice on tree topping.

Do not top your trees. It's seriously the worst thing ever. JFC, even the wikipedia page on tree topping is a big list of reasons why you shouldn't do it, but conifers especially will only die because they only have active new growth buds at the ends of branches (which includes the central lead branch).

I have an oak tree that the previous owner had topped, and now I'm going to have to shell out $$$ to have it removed because it's rotted all the way down the center of the trunk from where it was topped. It looks fine on the outside, but the inside is a spongy black mess filled with carpenter ants and the whole thing just needs the right storm to spell disaster.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

Do not top your trees. It's seriously the worst thing ever. JFC, even the wikipedia page on tree topping is a big list of reasons why you shouldn't do it, but conifers especially will only die because they only have active new growth buds at the ends of branches (which includes the central lead branch).

This. A lot of evergreens won't resprout from old wood, they only grow from the tips. Even if it lives, you could end up with a pancake tree. Old branches won't suddenly curve upward.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Maybe I'll just take them out then. Thank you for the advice

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Flower id please?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like calibrachoa to me, but GIS around to be sure (mobile posting here). If I'm right, you have some very reliable, very pretty plants there!

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

Looks like calibrachoa to me, but GIS around to be sure (mobile posting here). If I'm right, you have some very reliable, very pretty plants there!

thank you for this! my friend thought it was "capo" instead of "cali" and I couldn't find any search results. It's definitely on my list for next year.

eta: petunias are a favorite of mine and it looks like these mini-petunia-looking flowers come in even MORE cool color combos. possibly a new favorite!

That70sHeidi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 13, 2017

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

They come in tons of colors, and in single- and double varieties, too. Very reliable. I'll try to post some pics of mine later.

If you like petunias, also consider Calitunias (or Petchoas), a cali/petunia hybrid that performs equally well in a broader spectrum of soil pH. I think calis prefer alkaline soil--although frankly I've never had to amend anything to get them to thrive in containers.

eta: Here we go! I can't believe I only have these three this year.

I like the top one especially because it looks like it was colored in with crayon. :3:

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 13, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A good chill spot for a good dog.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hirayuki posted:

They come in tons of colors, and in single- and double varieties, too. Very reliable. I'll try to post some pics of mine later.

If you like petunias, also consider Calitunias (or Petchoas), a cali/petunia hybrid that performs equally well in a broader spectrum of soil pH. I think calis prefer alkaline soil--although frankly I've never had to amend anything to get them to thrive in containers.

eta: Here we go! I can't believe I only have these three this year.

I like the top one especially because it looks like it was colored in with crayon. :3:

I think I might be a bee because these colors are very beautiful.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Besides goats and mowing, is poison really the only way to get completely rid of grass? I hate the St. Augustine in our yard (Florida) and would love to get rid of it. We are slowly planting huge sections of our yard (I'll post pics after we mow, the rain made everything go nuts), but I'm tired of the vines growing all over the planted area and having to pull them up constantly. I'd prefer not to poison anything if possible though, I'd be worried about what it could possibly do to our other plants. I'd appreciate any advice.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

When I wanted to get rid of the grass lawns to replace with clover and garden beds etc, I went to a couple DIY shops and asked for their empty cardboard boxes. I put cardboard all over the lawn and then got a few of those huge bags of top soil delivered, spread that on top of the cardboard, then just planted clover and put in the garden beds/plants I wanted.

The cardboard and dirt will kill off the grass underneath while also encouraging lots of earthworms to move in and help break it all down into really nice, rich soil (worms seriously love decomposing cardboard). Meanwhile the plants you want growing have a chance to get their roots established before any tenacious grass can grow up through the cardboard.

It's worked really well for me, though it would be less workable if you have massive amounts of grass to kill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's also covering it in black plastic, but unlike cardboard you have to take it up when you're done.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
You can also use transparent plastic. If you're in Florida, it'll get warm enough to kill everything. It's readily available as huge rolls for cheap in the paint section of any box store.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to, the bigger animals usually keep out like Moose and deer, mostly worried about the hares. But life gets in the way. Some of the leafs are going yellowish now too, I dunno if it's just not getting enough water (been watering though and we've had rain on and off) , of if it lacks some particular nutrient or PH levels or what.

FFFFF! I had gotten the netting, but it was too late. Some loving animal had gotten to it :(

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

RIP tree :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I will need to try again, gonna have to go back where I got the acorns and redo it, this time I will be more prepared.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Hubis posted:

Yeah, I meant higher pressure (knock the sucker loose). If you've got an adjustable nozzle on the spray bottle you could try tuning it for a strong stream, but that's going to get old real quick.

I used the strong stream on my spray bottle and it got rid of most of the aphids! it was kind of fun. at the very least, a week later, I haven't seen many. I'll keep up with it if I see any more.

the plant suffered a bit from the soap, but it's come back really strongly at least. I won't do that again :lol: and it needs so much more water than I think, especially in this heat.

I hope it starts to set fruit soon; some of my parents' plants grown from the same seed have a few babies on them.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

The Snoo posted:

I used the strong stream on my spray bottle and it got rid of most of the aphids! it was kind of fun. at the very least, a week later, I haven't seen many. I'll keep up with it if I see any more.

the plant suffered a bit from the soap, but it's come back really strongly at least. I won't do that again :lol: and it needs so much more water than I think, especially in this heat.

I hope it starts to set fruit soon; some of my parents' plants grown from the same seed have a few babies on them.

I just had to do the same thing to aphids on my milkweed. It rained a couple of hours afterward and I thought that was alright, but I guess I should have rinsed it better because most of the flowers wilted after that. If it happens again, I will just order ladybugs to chow down on them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Guys, you can seriously just run your fingers down the stem of the plant and knock off or kill all the aphids. There's no need for chemical/biological warfare against something that tiny that can barely even move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
plus you get to pet your plants! :3