Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd also never heard of these things before and I'd love to try one out. Trying hard to justify the $130 cost just to tool around with one in a cage. :sweatdrop:

:same:

Would be interesting to try but yeah I'd just gently caress around at the cages and then switch back to aluminum for any softball I play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Beltran at #7 for OF is a joke, he's OPS+ing 91 with a slash of .235/.285/.415 and primarily being used at DH

Marisnick should get more votes than Beltran this year.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Goodpancakes posted:

I showed my better half the ridiculous baseball name of Sicnarf Loopstock and she pointed out its Francis backwards. Weird.
That was his dad's name. He's named after him, they just reversed it instead of doing the traditional "Jr.".

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
If Freddie was traded I would stop being a Braves fan.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

That was his dad's name. He's named after him, they just reversed it instead of doing the traditional "Jr.".

Pretty sure Nomar was the same deal.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Intruder posted:

Also I just saw the thing on Deadspin about how George Springer is using the bat designed for Mookie Betts. I had literally never seen the axe handled bats before. I think about all the blisters I could have avoided... (never felt quite right wearing gloves when playing softball)

(more accurately I basically always forgot my gloves)

Watching the college world series championships and these things are everywhere.

Honestly it is one of those things that you would totally miss if you weren't looking for it, and even then it can be hard to tell at distance. The asymetrical barrel can be easier to pick out then the axe handle sometimes.

If these stay legal I bet we will see a bunch more in the majors once the current group of college players where some managers are encouraging entire teams to use them start playing in the bigs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rand alPaul posted:

Wait it is? I thought it heals itself over time.

It can, but I believe it requires a really long time to get to a point where it's fully healed/alleviated, and it's longer than sports players or teams want to allow for. It's also somewhat degenerative regardless, but you can do activities and exercises to help alleviate it or go periods without the pain. For example, I have a slight case of it from running and working retail during college, but I can stretch my arch out in the morning, try to sit as much as possible on days where it's noticeable, etc., and then I might go a few months without much if any pain.

If he's to the point where he's having surgery every year to alleviate the pain, then he's probably going to be in pain the rest of his life, which sucks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Let's play guess the umpire!

Answer: CB Bucknor

His eyes were literally closed on pitch #5.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That guy is a God Damned Embarrassment

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
The "CB" stands for "Certifiably Bad"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I'm going to pretend #6 was a called strike

Fangraphs tracks these and picks the worst of the season and IIRC there was a Kershaw pitch that was literally middle middle earlier this season that was called a ball, no clue who the ump was

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SourKraut posted:

It can, but I believe it requires a really long time to get to a point where it's fully healed/alleviated, and it's longer than sports players or teams want to allow for. It's also somewhat degenerative regardless, but you can do activities and exercises to help alleviate it or go periods without the pain. For example, I have a slight case of it from running and working retail during college, but I can stretch my arch out in the morning, try to sit as much as possible on days where it's noticeable, etc., and then I might go a few months without much if any pain.

If he's to the point where he's having surgery every year to alleviate the pain, then he's probably going to be in pain the rest of his life, which sucks.

Can't they just snip the tendon and get rid of the issue entirely? I guess that would probably have to wait until he's not playing anymore?

I thought I had plantar fasciitis for a while, but somewhat regular stretching for a bit seemed to get rid of it completely so I dunno.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Can't they just snip the tendon and get rid of the issue entirely?

:gonk: no no :gonk: no no no no :gonk: NO NO NO NO :gonk: NO NO NO NO NOn :gonk: onwONF ONON OL NO :gonk: NO NO NON O :gonk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brad Peacock Has Become a Strikeout God

I love my dumb team (except when they lose gently caress YOU IF YOU LOSE)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

:gonk: no no :gonk: no no no no :gonk: NO NO NO NO :gonk: NO NO NO NO NOn :gonk: onwONF ONON OL NO :gonk: NO NO NON O :gonk:

THE ANTI-TOMMY JOHN.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Wtf is all this chatter about axe handled bats and asymmetrical barrels?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

If Freddie was traded I would stop being a Braves fan.

There's no way they're trading him at this point. If they were going to, it would have happened already. They are going to have to play Freeman at third sometimes if they want to keep Fat Adams in the lineup regularly.

As soon as loving possible, they should really trade Adams for a controllable reliever. I don't know if that time would ever come since first base is not really a need for most decent teams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The future, my friend

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

Can't they just snip the tendon and get rid of the issue entirely?

Poque posted:

The surgery he had last offseason was actually to release the plantar fascia ligament.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's a bat with a handle like an axe. Here's a Baseball America article about them.

Pretty much it's a more bio mechanically advantageous design that puts less stress on the hand and allows better extension, etc. Since the "face" of the bat is always going to be the same, the metal ones have a tapered endcap thing on them. The wood bats seem to have the same barrels as a standard version, though.

I really want to try swinging one sometime. Not that I've swung a normal bat in a long while...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of Brad Peacock, I still can't believe the Astros traded Lowrie to the A's, talked him into signing with them again, then traded him right back to the A's

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
NO TENDON SNIPPING

I also have plantar fasciitis and it loving sucks, it's been way better for me this year though. we'll see if it holds.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Snip every tendon IMO even if they're healthy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

Can't they just snip the tendon and get rid of the issue entirely? I guess that would probably have to wait until he's not playing anymore?

I thought I had plantar fasciitis for a while, but somewhat regular stretching for a bit seemed to get rid of it completely so I dunno.

It's not a tendon issue. Plantar Fasciitis is literally an inflammation of the Plantar Fascia, which is the whole complex of muscle on the sole of your foot. If you just sit down and elevate it for a day or two when you first notice pain it will totally go away. If your job is to be on your feet, run hard, etc constantly it's just gonna get worse and worse. I imagine that the way they treat someone like Albert is to just jack his feet full of cortisone every chance they get, but it's basically impossible for an athlete to actually recover from without going on the disabled list for a long-rear end time and who wants to do that?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Snip every tendon IMO even if they're healthy

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

You don't have to, it literally was. That AB was a clusterfuck.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Fangraphs tracks these and picks the worst of the season and IIRC there was a Kershaw pitch that was literally middle middle earlier this season that was called a ball, no clue who the ump was

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-worst-called-ball-on-record/

Cliffs: the catcher hosed up the framing so bad on a pitch down the middle the ump thought it was a ball.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Most of the worst calls are either on awful framing, check swings, or attempts to throw out a runner. It's so frustrating when a good pitch gets check swung on and the ump's brain just shifts down the decision tree into "was that a swing, Y/N" without considering it should be a called strike.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

It's not a tendon issue. Plantar Fasciitis is literally an inflammation of the Plantar Fascia, which is the whole complex of muscle on the sole of your foot. If you just sit down and elevate it for a day or two when you first notice pain it will totally go away. If your job is to be on your feet, run hard, etc constantly it's just gonna get worse and worse. I imagine that the way they treat someone like Albert is to just jack his feet full of cortisone every chance they get, but it's basically impossible for an athlete to actually recover from without going on the disabled list for a long-rear end time and who wants to do that?

Yep. I had a somewhat mild case of this about ten years ago. During the course of a normal workday, I was walking maybe four miles or so. There was no way around this and no way to take time off to heal up... and keeping weight completely off the foot is the only way it will heal up in any reasonable amount of time.

Because of my walking, mine took about six or seven months to get better, and this was not an extreme case of plantar fasciitis. It really sucked, at times it felt like all the tissue between the ball and heel of my foot was burning. This just would not stop on a lot of days, at least not until I could go home and sit or lay for a couple of hours. I feel sorry for him and anyone else who has this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Most of the worst calls are either on awful framing, check swings, or attempts to throw out a runner. It's so frustrating when a good pitch gets check swung on and the ump's brain just shifts down the decision tree into "was that a swing, Y/N" without considering it should be a called strike.

I feel that going to the base umps for check swings calls has increased this year, or at least in the games I've been watching, so that's good at least.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

I believe this was during a steal attempt and for some reason Bucknor called 5 a ball. Romine got thrown out at second.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Addison Russell's wife has filed for divorce; additionally, ESPN reports that she is refusing to meet with MLB investigators regarding claims of domestic abuse.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Addison Russell's wife has filed for divorce; additionally, ESPN reports that she is refusing to meet with MLB investigators regarding claims of domestic abuse.

Ugh what the gently caress...

Not you too Addison.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Ugh what the gently caress...

Not you too Addison.

The DV stuff was alleged by a friend of hers on an Instagram post a few weeks ago, not by Melissa Russell herself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

The DV stuff was alleged by a friend of hers on an Instagram post a few weeks ago, not by Melissa Russell herself.

Yeah I just saw that, Russell has denied the claim and she hasn't said anything. Seems it stems from infidelity.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hot take: pitcher wins and losses are stupid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some Numbers posted:

Hot take: pitcher wins and losses are stupid.

They're in the unholy trinity of counting stats, along with RBI and saves.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MLB.com did an article on batflips

They cover it in the article but the location of 10 is explained by the Todd Frazier HR from a few years ago where he lost his bat before hitting the ball

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Of the top 40 or so game scores for pitchers this year Scherzer will be the only one on that list with a loss :lol:

lmao this picture owns

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Intruder posted:

seiferguy posted:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-worst-called-ball-on-record/

Cliffs: the catcher hosed up the framing so bad on a pitch down the middle the ump thought it was a ball.

That was last year with Kershaw, but same exact thing.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/we-might-already-have-the-seasons-worst-called-ball/

• Locked thread