Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Roast Chuck

Ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ernie is executor. Better Call Saul Season 4: You Cannot Besto Ernesto

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Are we sure Chuck is dead? I think he should be dead- the character has reached his logical conclusion and it's going to be really hard to have him survive in a way that doesn't feel cheap logically or emotionally. That said, years of tv training have taught me that if we don't see someone 100% dead, they're 100% alive, and the writers are still playing coy in interviews.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Vince Gilligan said something weird in the podcast about Chuck. He said (paraphrasing) "Now that Chuck is dead, or Chuck might be dead, we can leave that in." Sounds like he was saying matter of factly that Chuck is dead but then tried to walk it back to being ambiguous.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Melisandre will bring him back with no consequences. They will then go on to conquer Hamlin & Hamlin with a starving divided thoroughly routed army of lawyers who've been fighting and dying to legal battles for years. The baseball card guy will inexplicably crown himself king of the New Mexican cartels and they will be fine with it. And Mike will drive the 20 minutes it takes to get to Germany from the North American southwest to get revenge on some guy from Breaking Bad season 1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really want Pryce to be some high level dude in Gus' organization.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CHUCK IS loving DEAD

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Veshpo posted:

Are we sure Chuck is dead? I think he should be dead- the character has reached his logical conclusion and it's going to be really hard to have him survive in a way that doesn't feel cheap logically or emotionally. That said, years of tv training have taught me that if we don't see someone 100% dead, they're 100% alive, and the writers are still playing coy in interviews.

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/877228383838642177

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

misdirection, classic vince

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Chucks hosed, baby. Chucks hosed.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

How did he tweet with Mike's voice

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
We didn't see Gail die so he's alive

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Vince Gilligan said something weird in the podcast about Chuck. He said (paraphrasing) "Now that Chuck is dead, or Chuck might be dead, we can leave that in." Sounds like he was saying matter of factly that Chuck is dead but then tried to walk it back to being ambiguous.

From other interviews it seems like Vince's position is that Chuck is 99% certainly dead (because come on), but they still reserve the right to do anything they want that doesn't explicitly contradict what is shown or said onscreen.

So yeah, Chuck's dead. Unless for some extraordinary and supremely unlikely reason they decide he isn't.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/833350083886379008
Sounds like he's gone for good. If we're lucky, a cold open flashback or two.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Awesome season. I hope the ratings were better than last year.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bobby Digital posted:

How did he tweet with Mike's voice

:D

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In retrospect showing the insurance person convo as the final scene of that episode a few back makes way more sense now. Jimmy won in court and Chuck could have lived but Jimmy had to twist the knife. Way more powerful looking back

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nerox posted:

I am not sure on Arizona law, but

For gently caress's sake

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

That DICK! posted:

In retrospect showing the insurance person convo as the final scene of that episode a few back makes way more sense now. Jimmy won in court and Chuck could have lived but Jimmy had to twist the knife. Way more powerful looking back
Yup, that scene takes on a much greater resonance in retrospect.

Also I'm glad Nacho survived. That gun scene buildup was tense as gently caress and it seemed for all the world that he had been caught by the other goons, or that he'd actually sprung a trap that Hector had planned, but fortunately things played out the way they did. Michael Mando is knocking it out of the park.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Chuck entrusted the 8 million dollars from the HHM buyout to his trusted university colleague Gustavo Fring, which he used to purchase the infrastructure for an 8 million dollar supermeth lab in a laundry mat.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

That DICK! posted:

I still don't know how I feel about that because I feel like the show's telling me that that doesn't happen without Jimmy, but at the same time, wasn't that going to eventually happen anyway, and really, shouldn't it have?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

That DICK! posted:

One way I think Howard could come back into the story next season: Howard feels guilty because he sees his actions regarding the insurance snafu as being what drove Chuck to suicide. Howard confides in Jimmy about this, perhaps at Chuck's funeral, which is how Jimmy finds out that him screwing over Chuck at the end of "Expenses" is what triggered that chain of events.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hey I haven't caught up with the thread but how many people have said
"The switch in Jimmy's office turns on Chuck's power meter"

if none:

sout posted:

The switch in Jimmy's office turns on Chuck's power meter

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

They need to jump past BB and make the show about Gene and his arc of redemption. Maybe season 5? I don't think they can keep threading water like that, the ratings are really bad. Season 4 needs to be done with Jimmy.

Most major plot threads are wrapped up now. It's the perfect moment to reorient the show.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Spellman posted:

Chuck entrusted the 8 million dollars from the HHM buyout to his trusted university colleague Gustavo Fring, which he used to purchase the infrastructure for an 8 million dollar supermeth lab in a laundry mat.

No no no, he left everything to the Institute for EHS Research, a nonprofit initiative started by Madrigal Electromotiv.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don't need a redemption arc for Gene. I just need a phone call with Kim :smith:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kim is Skylar, mark my words

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

That DICK! posted:

I think you'll find the ultimate fault lies with the man who, rather than check himself into a mental institution ala Healey from OITNB, instead chooses to set himself on fire.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

They need to jump past BB and make the show about Gene and his arc of redemption. Maybe season 5? I don't think they can keep threading water like that, the ratings are really bad. Season 4 needs to be done with Jimmy.

Most major plot threads are wrapped up now. It's the perfect moment to reorient the show.

We still need to find out why Jimmy gets rid of his cocobolo desk and replaces it with Kim's when he moves into his strip mall location. We can't move on until we know this.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I think you'll find the ultimate fault lies with the man who, rather than check himself into a mental institution ala Healey from OITNB, instead chooses to set himself on fire.

I don't think suicidal people can really be held accountable for their suicidal actions. That doesn't mean it's anyone else's fault either, of course.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

I can't tell if this post is a parody or not but just in case, if you've ever had someone close commit suicide you're not going to be able to write it out of your brain by assigning "ultimate fault" to some else lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I still don't know how I feel about that because I feel like the show's telling me that that doesn't happen without Jimmy, but at the same time, wasn't that going to eventually happen anyway, and really, shouldn't it have?
Possibly, but almost certainly wouldn't have happened now, giving Chuck some time to chill out and maybe deal with his mental issues.

Also keep in mind that Jimmy did actually break in and change the numbers to make him look incompetent, and then dragged him through mud during the hearing. Chuck, despite being a dick, was spot on about Jimmy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That DICK! posted:

I can't tell if this post is a parody or not but just in case, if you've ever had someone close commit suicide you're not going to be able to write it out of your brain by assigning "ultimate fault" to some else lol

The ultimate fault lies with Jimmy who was an enabler for Chuck's delusions all those years. If he had just made him go to a psychiatrist or demonstrated to him conclusively that his lepton allergy is psychosomatic, Chuck wouldn't have lost three years of his life. Jimmy sucks. Same goes for Howard who also enabled him.

Cnut the Great posted:

We still need to find out why Jimmy gets rid of his cocobolo desk and replaces it with Kim's when he moves into his strip mall location. We can't move on until we know this.

It departed. Just let the mystery be, little sweet pea

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The ultimate fault lies with Jimmy who was an enabler for Chuck's delusions all those years. If he had just made him go to a psychiatrist or demonstrated to him conclusively that his lepton allergy is psychosomatic, Chuck wouldn't have lost three years of his life. Jimmy sucks. Same goes for Howard who also enabled him.

Of course Jimmy's intentions were pure, as usual. He didn't want Chuck to suffer in a mental institution. He thought it was better for him to be at home and comfortable.

Ironically, it's only when his intentions are less than pure that he ends up doing the right thing by Chuck by refusing to humor in his delusion, spurring him to seek mental treatment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've been saying for years that Kim is Skyler and Marie's estranged half-sister

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Chuck is Skyler

"Oh nooo Jimmy. Jimmy, you have to stop. You have to stop this. It's immoral. It's illegal. Someone might get hurt!"

Always whining and complaining

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
whats weird about this episode to me is that the end of season 1 had jimmy saying, explicitly, "if i have a million bucks in front of me again, i'm not giving it up this time"

he just gave up a million because some old ladies were being catty. he's a pathological do-gooder

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

a huge raging/whiny bitch?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The guy from Heroes? That's a bit of a stretch imo.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

For gently caress's sake

Sorry New Mexico, had a brain fart while typing that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

nerox posted:

One thing Better Call Saul has been really good about is legal proceedings

Looking back it's pretty impressive that a show all about lawyers practicing law managed to go two and a half seasons before its first actual courtroom scene.

• Locked thread