Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I hope the snow and desert maps have regions where the dunes are semi-randomly generated as far as hills and stuff. that'd be kind of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Nevvy Z posted:

I hope the snow and desert maps have regions where the dunes are semi-randomly generated as far as hills and stuff. that'd be kind of cool.

Do not get your hopes up in this way

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://clips.twitch.tv/PricklyLaconicYogurtCoolStoryBro

The VSS's crosshair is a bit busy to me, and I mistaken the poo poo on the left portion as the center.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Nfcknblvbl posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PricklyLaconicYogurtCoolStoryBro

The VSS's crosshair is a bit busy to me, and I mistaken the poo poo on the left portion as the center.

jesus that happened to me a few times just watching that clip

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

cosmicjim posted:

Anyone have a particularly good guide for parachuting and beating people to a predetermined place you want to go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpFk3p_2Wk&t=312s

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
What's the goon kill record and how do I declare my intent to beat it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nevvy Z posted:

I would be pretty shocked if this happened. It seems like a pretty big thing to ask for the engine.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm so garbage at squads compared to duo and solo. Optimal squad play seems so slow and rigid. Solo/duo is all about pretending you're mel gibson from the patriot

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The Mash posted:

I think this would be a fun thing to get going. Record based on solo, duo, squad, and chicken/no chicken.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

RedQueen posted:

Ended up in a rain game with Grimmz. Did not stream snipe, tried to stay alive as long as possible being a giant prone pussy towards the end. It was a different feeling game, like everyone I saw move died to Grimmmz. When I finally had to move to get across a field I died too to his silenced M24. Tuned in, he ended up getting 17 kills and 1st.

Happened to be watching the VOD this morning and remembered reading this:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ApatheticTubularMelonCoolStoryBob

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My roommate doesn't have a PC but is completely obsessed with this game, so I let him play on my computer. But now I want to know what my actual skill level is but I also don't want to cut him off from his sweet sweet PUBG. They need to make a console version ASAP.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Inspector_666 posted:

My roommate doesn't have a PC but is completely obsessed with this game, so I let him play on my computer. But now I want to know what my actual skill level is but I also don't want to cut him off from his sweet sweet PUBG. They need to make a console version ASAP.

just let him play on EU or asia or something, different ratings

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Mash posted:

You're dangerous! What mode was this, have a replay? You ruined 15% of the people playing's game :D

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/29217-early-access-week-12-update-210617/

quote:

Prevented users from removing shadows by changing Steam launch options.

Yay.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Thank gently caress.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Was hoping we were getting the big update this week, but I'll take that for now!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ALFbrot posted:

Thank gently caress.

Why was that a problem? They were removing shadows on their side, so wasn't that a problem for them? If I can see their shadow behind a tree and they can't see mine that is a plus for me, right?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

Why was that a problem? They were removing shadows on their side, so wasn't that a problem for them? If I can see their shadow behind a tree and they can't see mine that is a plus for me, right?

shadows are one of the things that tanks framerate and removing them improves overall visibility.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hamelekim posted:

If you're standing under that tree you also no longer have the benefit of any shadow that tree may be casting on you. You become a markedly higher-contrast target.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wearing the school shooter trench coat leaves you completely invisible in the shadows

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Disabling shadows was pretty much hax. Especially when speed matters when hot dropping into a contested area, and all of the ground surfaces are very bright.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Drewjitsu posted:

Disabling shadows was pretty much hax. Especially when speed matters when hot dropping into a contested area, and all of the ground surfaces are very bright.

The game sorta forces you to drop your shadows/post processing because if you don't it'll do shadows for every blade of grass/wheat and lol your FPS just nosedives after that. VL/L shadows and low post-processing give you great visibility (at the cost of water being very hard to see people on)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Hamelekim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IBZwsTkWWQ&t=9s

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is another bullet point "made the game not run like garbage rear end"?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The game sorta forces you to drop your shadows/post processing because if you don't it'll do shadows for every blade of grass/wheat and lol your FPS just nosedives after that. VL/L shadows and low post-processing give you great visibility (at the cost of water being very hard to see people on)

Thank god that a kind goon gave me a 980 as an upgrade from my 660ti, and it should get here tomorrow, to boot!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There's a big difference between low shadows and the -sm4 launch option which is what is being removed. Low shadows removes stuff like player shadows and grass shadows, -sm4 removes ALL shadows so places like the forest have no shadows under every tree. Trying to find a video with a good example, will edit it in if I find one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cinara posted:

There's a big difference between low shadows and the -sm4 launch option which is what is being removed. Low shadows removes stuff like player shadows and grass shadows, -sm4 removes ALL shadows so places like the forest have no shadows under every tree. Trying to find a video with a good example, will edit it in if I find one.

Speaking from experience -sm4 also causes massive hitching to the point of distraction at times (especially in Yasnaya). It might make the game playable for lesser graphics cards but it's not going to be pleasant.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Compare the visibility here: https://plays.tv/s/LJetzDRD9niH
to here: https://plays.tv/s/LJeu9Xsq-bGJ

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was playing with -sm4 and it was cheating as far as I was concerned, but NOT doing it meant that everyone I was up against was probably doing it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I was playing with -sm4 and it was cheating as far as I was concerned, but NOT doing it meant that everyone I was up against was probably doing it.

And this is why removing it is great. It reduces the "need" for pro minspec mlg graphics when you have a system that can actually look pretty and run well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I played with -sm4 on and it definitely did not look like the 2nd option. It was brighter than the first though.

Is there any benefit running with -sm4 anymore then?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

I think the last death in that first video is a goon?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

I want to say the second clip is directx 9 mode or something like that.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing how all the minspec streamers cope with this.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Unless the performance improvements are good this will remove my ability to play the game. Without sm4 I get unplayable levels of lag in buildings. :/

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Lag is a bigger issue than framerate I have found. I do no better or worse on ultra vs low. The game looks so much better on ultra.

Gtx 1080 with 3440x1440 resolution and I hover around 50 to 60fps on ultra. Would be nice if I could hit a solid 70. Maybe performance tweaks will improve that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

quote:

Fixed a bug that caused players to enter the DBNO state after drowning. You will now die immediately after taking fatal damage from lack of oxygen.

Run out of air in water? Instadeath

Take three 7.62 rounds to the face? Walk it off.

:v:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Great Beer posted:

Unless the performance improvements are good this will remove my ability to play the game. Without sm4 I get unplayable levels of lag in buildings. :/

what a lame rear end justification for using essentially a wallhack

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Great Beer posted:

I think I speak for the community when I say this is a sacrifice we are willing to make.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Is the freezing for 1-5 seconds when opening inventory a common thing? Googling seems to imply so, and I was hoping I'd see it addressed in this patch. I have the game installed on an SSD but I guess I haven't really experimented with quality settings much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Lower your graphics settings a ton, the few of my friends that had that problem had it fixed by playing on lower settings.

• Locked thread