Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N17tEW_WEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWeU2fvFGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The container is airtight. Hot steam inside the container, at atmospheric pressure. Then the cold rain falls on the container, cooling the container and turning the steam back into water, condensing it and pulling a vacuum inside the container. The container is obviously pretty drat strong, but eventually it gives and the vacuum pulls the container in on itself.

i assume also, the second the container starts to buckle its structural integrity disappears completely ala a submarine springing a small leak

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's also worth noting that railway tankers have both positive and negative pressure safety valves specifically to prevent implosions/explosions. Given how it's filmed those are probably done with the safety valves blocked on purpose to showcase the forces involved.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Operating under real-world conditions then? :v:

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2006/03/08/how_not_to_do_it_liquid_nitrogen_tanks

quote:

Both the pressure relief and rupture disks had failed for some reason in the past, so they’d been removed and sealed off with metal plugs.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The container is airtight. Hot steam inside the container, at atmospheric pressure. Then the cold rain falls on the container, cooling the container and turning the steam back into water, condensing it and pulling a vacuum inside the container. The container is obviously pretty drat strong, but eventually it gives and the vacuum pulls the container in on itself.

As a physics teacher I can not let this slide by. The vacuum doesn't "pull it in", it's the ambient air pressure that pushes it in.

Also, straws don't work by pulling up the liquid, they work because you reduce the pressure in your mouth, allowing the atmospheric pressure that is pressing on the surface of the liquid to force it up the straw.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Sausages posted:

The inverse is also true, 1700 litres of steam will condense into 1 litre of water. Like so:

Here's 20L of water into a volcano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxOhfiFsuc

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Speaking of ships hitting things. Last night:

As you can see the ferry failed to make the right turn (that it had been making all day), and hit the jetty at full speed. Status: Stopped.

I do like the Coast Guard helo's throwback livery.

I have a lot of thoughts on this one, having run a similar boat on a similar path many years ago, but I'll wait to see what comes up.

Surprisingly the damage is not as bad you would think

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://i.imgur.com/ne22N7y.mp4

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I gasped watching that. Holy poo poo that guy was loving lucky.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Me too.

gently caress.

Not what I was expecting.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Attempted Murder

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
there can't possibly be an actuated release for the bucket attach point, right?

RIGHT??

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ol Standard Retard posted:

there can't possibly be an actuated release for the bucket attach point, right?

RIGHT??

In my uninformed opinion it looks like holding it in that position for too long caused something to snap that was weaker than it was supposed to be.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Maybe they were in the process of removing the bucket (I think you have to pull out two big pins), and it stuck in place. Doesn't explain why it got lifted up so high and the guy walked under it though.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Don't some bull dozers have the ability to swap out the attachment like your average home vacuum cleaner?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, it's held on by a pin.

Presumably the pin fell out/someone took it out, that might even be what the ground guy was going after.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Heffer posted:

Don't some bull dozers have the ability to swap out the attachment like your average home vacuum cleaner?

They use huge solid steel pins that go in the brackets on the bucket. But the bucket needs to be resting on the ground. The weight of the bucket would make it almost impossible to remove the pins while suspended (if installed correctly).

Most likely explanation is a lovely weld-job, incorrect pins for the bucket size, or metal fatigue with the brackets.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah I was gonna come back and add a note to my post there.

But people have done some really batshit stuff that wasn't a joke.

Like the time my employer thought this was a great plan.

They instructed me to gently caress with that mess if there was a power outage, and I said, "Sure, sure..." and immediately documented why I wasn't going to touch poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Malachi Constant posted:

As a physics teacher I can not let this slide by. The vacuum doesn't "pull it in", it's the ambient air pressure that pushes it in.

Also, straws don't work by pulling up the liquid, they work because you reduce the pressure in your mouth, allowing the atmospheric pressure that is pressing on the surface of the liquid to force it up the straw.
But like net forces are relative, man. It's all in your head whether it's air pressure pushing in or vacuum pulling in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

But like net forces are relative, man. It's all in your head whether it's air pressure pushing in or vacuum pulling in.

No because vacuum can't "pull"

Do you suppose that lack of something attaches itself to the inside of the vessel and then contracts somehow?

There was a great poster on the wall in one of my chem labs back in the day SCIENCE DOESN'T SUCK

edit: Trek :goonsay: example:

Riker: Sucked into Space

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's why they call it a blowjob, your dick isn't being sucked, the pressure in your partner's mouth has just been reduced creating a vacuum.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Heffer posted:

All the excavators I've seen in Scandinavia can hotswap buckets.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

They instructed me to gently caress with that mess if there was a power outage, and I said, "Sure, sure..." and immediately documented why I wasn't going to touch poo poo.

I couldn't come up with something that looked unsafer than that if I tried.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I couldn't come up with something that looked unsafer than that if I tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Malachi Constant posted:

Oh no, your nerd poo poo is pulling in my fist towards your face, poindexter.

You better hope I don't find out how doxxing works and then I show up at whatever D&D/Pokeman shop you hang out at, NERD.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

How does he turn it off

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Wasabi the J posted:

What'd the clipboard say?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Over There posted:

How does he turn it off

Hit it with a baseball bat?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Over There posted:

How does he turn it off

Move to a new house and forget his memories of its existence.

edit: Or a shotgun

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Over There posted:

How does he turn it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-v80a15ScM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay but he has seriously developed a tool to turn it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewKX7NmnDfI

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Literally A Person posted:

What'd the clipboard say?

A series of instructions to potentially backfeed generator power to the city. Seriously, you were supposed to turn on a generator and pop a mains breaker and then something else.

I didn't bother to learn what to do. I wasn't going to gently caress with something that loving stupid.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Hubis posted:

My physics is a little rusty, but wouldn't Lorenz forces just push that contact apart? Or would that require a lot more amperage?

Well yeah you've got the right-hand rule for current flowing through a conductor...

As far as current goes certain inrush loads (motor, capacitor, transformer) could cause forces on cables, but in a serious a prolonged short circuit ("bolted" fault) you can get magnetic forces strong enough to whip cables or even damage or warp copper busbars. In a fault I could easily imagine forces strong enough to knock that apart.

We got a 480V motor control center that was I believe 1200 amps nominal but the busses inside were rated to withstand the magnetic forces in a short-circuit fault of up to 65,000 amps. I've seen fuses that are rated to like 120,000 amps.

Seemingly small and insignificant numbers like how many milliohms per feet of cable, or the length of a cable, or whether that cable is in a plastic conduit, metal conduit, or cable tray can make a huge difference in a fault.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 21, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay but he has seriously developed a tool to turn it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewKX7NmnDfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq80zqdNNJU

And boy does this thing carry a tune! :sax:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Who made this, and more importantly, why?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I can only assume it was a scheme to assassinate Simone Giertz.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I would like to know more. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

I would like to know more. :allears:

Got caught texting a backhoe, realizes he made a mistake? It's pretty obvious.